New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Skyside: The City of Eventually

[Cloudtops]

Trying to suck heat out of giant abomination works about as well as one might expect sucking heat out of a thing that's directly linked to a hellish extra-planar inferno would. That is to say, it really doesn't work at all.

Shot in the eyes, zapped in the spine, and levitated into the air. At this point the giant monster seems to be unconscious! And floating. Both of those things. It's just kinda hanging there all limp-like. Maybe someone should figure out what to do with it?

Should probably do something about all those molten mouthers, too.

Like punching them in the teeth! Luckily they have lots of those, so it's hard to miss. The monster's... face?... caves in upon impact moments before it's launched backwards.

Zoe drops on the mouther she had blinded and does a nice impression of a Cuisinart, hacking the burning mass of protoplasm into ribbons. Thankfully she had enough sense to bulk up on fire-resistance before fighting a giant fire monster. Seems like a generally wise plan.

More mouthers are oozing in out of that ruined building!

"I'm going to pretend I know what those places are and assume my friends didn't get plane-shifted along with me and Big T," Zoe says. She then casts a brief glance toward the now hovering dino-abomination and grunts. "Huh. That's different."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

[Cloudtops - Monster Mash]

"Woah!"

The apparent Magical Girl in the skirt and thigh-high boots maneuvers her platform out of the spikes' way, although one clips it, and it becomes visible, shattering...before, after only a short drop, it reforms, vanishes, and she starts circling the monster like an angry bee that got into some fermented nectar.

Odd, it might almost seem as if she's using constructs.
    Naaaah.
    Coudn't be.

"Hey, you!" That means you, Zoe! "Howdaya take this thing down?" And then she hears The Big Question. "Welcome to tha' Nexus, sistah!"

===

[Meanwhile, on the other side of Skyside...]

An airship of moderate size soars lazily along the skyline...giving little to no visual hint that it's a hologram around a smallish spaceship, its occupant, being Susan, looking out across the flying city.

"So. Impressive, isn't it?" she asks her nonorganic companion.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

Where the Monsters are Not

Neni examines the cityscape idly. She does not seem particularly moved by it. "Given the apparent average technology level of the Nexus, yes. The technology needed for this is not uncommon where I come from, but in the Nexus it is a definite show of scientific and perhaps magical power. The question is how much good is done with it."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

[Flying, Not To The Moon]

"Well, given the circumstances, yeah. And I guess the answer to that question remains to be seen." Susan shrugs. "Where I come from, this kind of place becomes one of two things: a wreched hive of scum and villiany, or a place swarming with mad scientists trying to one-up each other in a constant quest to show them, to show them all. I assume it was different for you though."

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

Up In The Air

"Hives of scum and villainy? I imagine that such places do not stay flying very long. Anything this complex requires constant maintenance. The same is true of any space station, space ship, or even a large land-based facility. If there is no one keeping the whole place afloat, it will sink. That is the truth in any city, it is simply more literal here."

"As thus, facilities like this are often funded by some government or other large body with large amounts of money. The why varies, of course, but the point stands that without some sort of unification, this will fail."

Neni has her usual outlook, it seems: jaded and highly educated.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Up In The Air

"You'd be surprised; one of the other large bodies with large amounts of moneys is often a crime syndicate," Susan observes; she, too, is jaded, just in a somewhat different way. "You might want to access files on the Hutts when you get a chance. Now, I don't think this lot will ever really come together against those running the place, but..."

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

Up In The Air

"I believe we have a miscommunication. Scum 'hives,' as I understand them, are made of a loose collection of individuals or unofficial groups that interact in a given area. No one controlling force, in fact borderline anarchy. A formal government can be in place, but any such government is corrupt and/or weak, making them comparable to the other groups in terms of control. Rather contrary to 'Hive' when referring to eusocial animals, but I did not make the decision on the language. The precise connotations must vary between our experiences."

"Organized crime cartels are, as they say, a whole other beast. One that I would not be surprised to find operating in this city."

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Up In The Air

"...ahh. I've heard of that before. But never actually encountered one," Susan admits. "And you're probably right. It's pretty much a paradise for that sort of thing. Well, less so than some parts of Riverside, I suppose."

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

Up In The Air

"I don't have much personal experience, either. Nor do I know enough about Riverside to make comments on it."

Neni would shrug, but she has no shoulders and is not projecting an avatar.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

[Up In The Air]

"From what I know, each sector of the city is pretty much legitimately run by its own gang," Susan observes with a chuckle. "Perfectly Legitimate Businesmen, of course. Although one is supposedly a vampire sector where it's always night."

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

Up In The Air

"It's likely that more research would have to be done to fully understand the Riverside situation, then. Even simple-seeming situations are often complex, and that situation seems to be complex even at a glance."

Neni then decides to address the issue at hand. "Now then, Susan, what do you intend to do with this visit?"

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Up In The Air

"Aside from sightseeing?" Susan chuckled. "Getting a feel for the area. For all its potential downsides this seems like the sort of place that might be most...fitting for us. If you know what I mean?"

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

Up In The Air

Yes... that's what Neni was afraid of. "I'll start querying for potential leads on such jobs, see if I can find some kind of hub. The nigh-omnipresent free wireless access seems to have been made with digital exchanges in mind, it should be a simple matter to find something." Something that won't get them shot, to be precise.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Monster Mash

Black Maul lets the dinozilla float upwards until it's above the skyline, and then she adjusts the controls to halt its upward momentum and send it sideways, then lower it again until it's floating at the same height as the floating island and off to one side. It seems a safe enough place to park it for now - people below the floating island know well enough to look out for falling rubbish from above. She supposed she'll need to take it out and lower it into the sea - gently, to avoid making a tsunami - but she'll need to rent a skycycle to make that trip. Note to self - buy a skycycle.

Maneuvering the dinobomination takes enough time that she won't be able to do anything about the remaining monsters this round or probably the next either.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

15. - Top - End - #105
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Tempest Row - Cloud 9]

Arkant will get his beer. Stevie looks around and shrugs. "Another new arrival, I suppose. People get dumped on the Nexus all the time. You guys know how it is."
    [Tempest Row - Cloud 9]

Arkant takes a nip of his beer.

"Many people get thrown into the Nexus latly. For example this whole city here."
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Tempest Row-Cloud Nine

Iggy shakes his head. "Wouldn't say that. This city was built here, and the population for the most part seemed pretty normally found."
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

[Cloudtops - Monster Mash]

"It means monsters like that attacking daily." Invincibelle explains. "Also whatever you imagine has at one point or another come true or been a person here. Yes, even that. Especially that."

Invincibelle reaches behind her back and pulls out a metal staff sort of like the one Nightwing uses. Because there are just some things you don't want to punch, no matter how punchable they are.

So instead, bapping these mouthers with the pole sounds like a good idea. Quick swift hits preferably. But again, she has much to learn about combat and footing and such, so I'm not sure she'll be that effective. Still, these don't seem to be too bad. Yet. She's reasonably sure it's going to get bad when surrounding and swarming happens. Which it looks like it's getting close to. That'd be bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

18. - Top - End - #108

[Monster Mash No More!]

Floating the giant beasty out to sea? That'll work. Though when the thing wakes up there will be a giant monster looming out of the ocean. That might turn a few heads.

Meanwhile, back at Cloudtops!

At the apparently drunk gal's question Zoe can't help but frown. "I didn't take the Big T down. I was supposed to just hold its attention until my buddies killed it. My pal Jerrith? He found this wonky sword that's supposed to be able to kill the thing for good. Otherwise it'll just keep coming back to life every time someone takes it out. Or at least that's how the story goes."

Technically it could be killed by exploding its carcass into a fine red mush. But that would require some high explosives and apparently no one has ever tried it before.

When Invincibelle starts chattering about the improbable nature of the Nexus Zoe opens her mouth to ask a 'What about-?' question, but the follow-up answers that for her. She coughs awkward.

Hmm...

And it looks like the molten mouthers are beginning to cool off! As time goes by they are growing more and more sluggish until after a few minutes they'll harden into heaps of slag. Seems that problem fixed itself.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Monster Mashed Streets

By the time Black Maul finishes parking the monster, the streets below are monsterless. Well that's good!

She leaps down the sides of skyscrapers, going back and forth, pushing off with her staff until she's at ground level goes inside the building she's on the roof of and takes the elevator down to ground level.

She stops to examine the slag, and it's possible she'll run into Invincibelle, Zoe, and/or Cat.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Monster Mashed Streets

Darth Calamity wanders the streets, having watched the large fight take place from a hidden alley. He saw powerful opponents battling. He was impressed, and knew to respect these individuals. Black Lotus and Scoprio are kept at his belt, under his dark grey flowing coat, his dark red cloak trailing behind him. It seems Trucido would rather go a bit more stealthy than his usual white clothing. He will eventually move towards the group. That was impressive. What... was that creature? I thought this place would be a bit safer. Giant monsters aren't exactly a boon to the environment.

Spoiler: Trucido:
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111

All Monster Mashed Up

Ding! The elevator Intrepid took finally reaches the ground floor, and he springs into action, rushing out the door! The costumed vigilante steps out into the bright, obscenely sunny day, garbed in what appears to be a dark-blue motocross biker uniform, complete with matching helmet and a short navy-blue cape that only goes about halfway down his back and over one shoulder.

"Halt! No kaiju can threaten this city so long as-"

He looks around, notes the day has already been saved, and his shoulders slump in disappointment. Ugh, that's just his luck, isn't it? Invincibelle insists on waiting up on the rooftops for trouble on the very same day he forgets to bring any sort of flight or hover gadgets, forcing him to ride all the way down like your average NPC, only to arrive too late to contribute anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

22. - Top - End - #112

Cloudtops

Meanwhile, it appears Valia just accidentally took the express route.
    She tripped and fell of a building near where Intrepid happens to be.
    ****!
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

23. - Top - End - #113
    Halfling in the Playground

Monster Mashed Streets

And Zane has to fly down to the streets, off of the flying monster's back.
    He quickly hides himself in a dark alleyway, cloaking himself in shadowy flames.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Zane and Aric by Recaiden. Aric Kat by Hatter.

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: FFRP Newbie Links
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Superhero Mash

"I believe the sword just transported you and it to someplace completely different. Like a banishment." Oh hey. The monsters are being logical and going out on their own. Or illogical. I'm not sure which.

And then four more people show up at the same time(ish)!
    "... You're late." Mostly to Intrepid.

"Is this the part where we all go, 'This is my town, and I work alone!' in a grumpy fit?"
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

25. - Top - End - #115

Masks and Monsters

"I'm fine with sharing so long as nobody gets in my way," Intrepid holding up his arms as he shrugs in disinterest. It's a big city, and he's not particularly worried about-

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Cloudtops

Meanwhile, it appears Valia just accidentally took the express route.
    She tripped and fell of a building near where Intrepid happens to be.
    ****!
    Oh hey! Random distressed damsel! Would be pretty wacky if she fell right into his arms or something, wouldn't it? I can't imagine the cyborg concealed within that costume would be very pleased to see Valia again in such a state, though.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

26. - Top - End - #116

Masks and Monsters

"I'm fine with sharing so long as nobody gets in my way," Intrepid holding up his arms as he shrugs in disinterest. It's a big city, and he's not particularly worried about-

Oh hey! Random distressed damsel! Would be pretty wacky if she fell right into his arms or something, wouldn't it? I can't imagine the cyborg concealed within that costume would be very pleased to see Valia again in such a state, though.
    Valia braces for impact, and...
    Oh, hello. Just dropping in.
    She says, embarrassed.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    Superhero Mash

"I believe the sword just transported you and it to someplace completely different. Like a banishment." Oh hey. The monsters are being logical and going out on their own. Or illogical. I'm not sure which.

And then four more people show up at the same time(ish)!
    "... You're late." Mostly to Intrepid.

"Is this the part where we all go, 'This is my town, and I work alone!' in a grumpy fit?"

"Considering none of us could deal with the menace alone, that would be rather foolish,"
    Black Maul says. Luckily, the laws of supercostuming prevent her from recognizing Magtok or Reina, and prevent them recognizing Willow. "I levitated it, but I don't know who knocked it unconscious."

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

28. - Top - End - #118

Capes and Kaiju

Intrepid bites back the urge to just drop Valia on the ground. It'd be so, so funny, and also a little cathartic, but it's not exactly hero behavior, is it? He politely sets her down on her feet instead, still totally baffled by what just happened. It's not often that women just drop out of the sky into his arms, after all. Not anywhere near often enough.

"Err...watch your step next time, citizen?"

It didn't take a whole lot of shapeshifting to modify his throat enough that Intrepid's voice would be unrecognizable, but it's a dignified sort of unrecognizable. Not like that ridiculous Dark Knight movies growl; more of a Kevin Conroy as Bruce Wayne sort of voice.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

29. - Top - End - #119

Capes and Kaiju

Intrepid bites back the urge to just drop Valia on the ground. It'd be so, so funny, and also a little cathartic, but it's not exactly hero behavior, is it? He politely sets her down on her feet instead, still totally baffled by what just happened. It's not often that women just drop out of the sky into his arms, after all. Not anywhere near often enough.

"Err...watch your step next time, citizen?"

It didn't take a whole lot of shapeshifting to modify his throat enough that Intrepid's voice would be unrecognizable, but it's a dignified sort of unrecognizable. Not like that ridiculous Dark Knight movies growl; more of a Kevin Conroy as Bruce Wayne sort of voice.
    Citizen Kaiju

Valia nods and walks away with her hands in the pockets of her violet trench coat and Ebony slung across her back like nothing ever happened.
    She makes a mental note to buy herself a grappling hook.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

30. - Top - End - #120
    Halfling in the Playground

Heroes, Untie!

Zane steps out of the shadows, and because of superhero logic, fully in costume...
    Not that he's wearing anything too elaborate. It's just a black trench-coat bordered in black flames, over a black, chainmail shirt and loose black pants. Anyone sending a theme here? No? Ok...

His mask (heaven forbid he go without one!) is a black, glassy fire covering his whole face, with no discernable features. Hail, fellow heroes! Cough Cough A job well-done, I'd say.
    Last edited by Aric Kale; 2013-11-11 at 12:36 PM.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Zane and Aric by Recaiden. Aric Kat by Hatter.

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: FFRP Newbie Links
    Show