New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Star Wars D20 - Freelancer(IC)

Evayn, still watching the sensor display, opens a comm channel within the ship. "Let's keep this casual looking for now--they're just doing basic scans, but if we attract attention they'll target us. Daine, cut back on our power but keep the routing you've set up in case we need it in a hurry. Kaff, we'll keep the weapons powered down unless we need them, they'll attract attention otherwise." He turns to Kera, but keeps the channel open. "Just, I dunno, fly casual. Keep our speed down for now, but be ready to kick it if we need to move fast."

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ogre in the Playground

Kera

Nodding, Kera slows the ship back down to regular speed. "Keep my distance, but don't look like I'm keeping my distance? I can do that."

3. - Top - End - #483
    Orc in the Playground

Kaff

Kaff was relieved when he heard Daine's explaination, he was worried for a second he had done something to break the gun.

"Okay," he responded into the headset, "but just remember to turn it back on when we start getting shot at. Nothing makes a better target than a ship that doesn't shoot back."

4. - Top - End - #484
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Daine

"Except a severely outmatched ship that does," Daine replies, chuckling softly. He glances over towards the droid. "I didn't think you could speak," he says, curiously before glancing back to the display. "I'll be working on you as soon as I can, little busy trying to help make sure we don't get blown up first though."
    Last edited by Santanya; 2007-05-11 at 10:10 AM.
    DarkLadyoftheSith: Its not a Santanya post if there's not an edit at the end of it.
    Santanya: Its an addition. I need my fix.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

R5-N8(Nate)

The scattered parts of the droid shift as the ship continues on.

I didn't think you could speak," Daine says, curiously before glancing back to the display. "I'll be working on you as soon as I can, little busy trying to help make sure we don't get blown up first though."

The droids optical Unit focuses in and out on Daine confusingly.
    "Fix me!" the droid presses not understanding a word Daine said. Nate trys running a self Diagnostics program with no results.
    Last edited by Third_Voice; 2007-05-11 at 12:50 PM.
    Now playing:

Dogs of war Father Connor"Preach" Masmanus

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ogre in the Playground

Bridge

Kera drops the ship back to her normal maximum speed and proceeds nonchalantly higher into the upper stratosphere. The flight proceed smoothly with the ship taking fewer and fewer bumps as she gains altitude.

About a minute and a half later, Evayn sighs as the sector scan stops. Moments later, several lights flash and an audible alarm go off as the ship is subjected to a high power focused scan. The high power scan beam is originating at the Imperial Light Cruiser which is now 225 km away.

As Evayn knows, it is just a matter of time now before the Imperials know what is on board and take action.

Below Decks

Daine and Nate see Trill haul the dazed Gungan into one of the seats in the common area. After belting him in, Trill serves him a small cup of water. With the flight becoming less bumpy, the belt probably isn't required, but you never know with Kera flying.

Gunner Position

Kaff sits and enjoys the view. As the ship gains altitude, the view becomes that much more impressive. The glow of the various cities can be seen as well as the streams of light connecting them. Just as the ship hits 200km, the ship clears the shadow of the planet and Kaff is blessed with the view of the sunrise from high altitude.

Spoiler
    Show

The ship is now at just under 200km in altitude heading towards 350km. The ship is moving at 6km per round out of a maximum of 7km.
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground

Kera

After flying in a straight line at the jump point for a bit, Kera is getting a little bored. Then the alarm goes off and the lights flash. Suddenly, it isn't quite so boring anymore. "How about now? This seems like a good time to punch it. They can't possibly miss the consist here."

8. - Top - End - #488
    Orc in the Playground

Kaff

The abrupt sunrise with the city lights far below gives Kaff an amazingly beautiful sight. For a moment he just simply marvels at what he can see out of the weapon pod, but only for a moment as the wonder turns to vertigo and he suddenly feels very exposed with the transparent sections creating the illusion of him almost flying free in space.

He closes his eyes and swallows hard as a wave of nausea washes over him. Breathing heavily for a few seconds helps.

'Well that was unpleasant!' Kaff thinks to himself, 'still, it was worth it for the site of the sunrise.' He recalls abruptly some old poetry from Jorong Bel'Surd. A military man who was called the 'Philosopher Admiral' who wrote pages of prose about the stark beauty of space. Kaff had resented being forced to study the poems as a child it suddenly seemed very appropriate.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Evayn sighs at the inevitable as the lights flash in his face. "Just a minute Kera, but hold that thought," he answers. Quickly opening a channel, he says without preamble "Daine--can you give us some electronic interference?" His mind is racing as he tries to remember what his parents taught him about impromptu sensor confusion. "Anything to confuse a scan of the hold. Cross some power routes through there or something maybe?" Working at his own station, he attempts to determine the wavelengths of the cruiser's sensors, then run their own (much weaker) sensors at the same wavelengths and pointed in the cruiser's direction. "Hang on, folks, and be ready to kick it into gear. We're getting scanned."

KnowledgeTechnology - (1d20+5)[20] to work the sensor confusion (plus any other suggestions for Daine)

ComputerUse - (1d20+7)[14] to work the sensors themselves--trying to cancel out their sensor in the short term.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

R5-N8 (Nate)

Nate sputters off a long stream of beeps and clicks in Binary that can only be described as distressed
    Spoiler
    Show
    i swear you spill one drink on a rude customer and the next thing you know your in pieces on a starship floor. Fate is a crual mistress. A cruel mistress indeed! Oh sweet irony!

Prodding Daine again with the tool mount, Nate says. "I can help you with that whatever your doing. You just need to fix me first. I'm a hard worker i swear." The part containing the tool mount shifts as nate slowly realizes hes in worse shape than he thought. If only he had been more corgal to the partron. Though R5 units are know to have faulty motivators. That piece of bantha fodder coulda kept his comment to himself. saying that R5s were out of date and usless. Guess i showed him! Nate smircks, or the droid equivelent, to himself.
    Now playing:

11. - Top - End - #491
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Numbers and systems whir through Evayn's mind as he recalls, considers, and tosses out ideas to beat the cruiser's sensors. I'm going to have to learn about this ship, and fast if we're going to make this illegal stuff our business. Finding himself back where he started, the follows up his earlier request with "Nevermind, we're humped. Punch it, let's get out of here. I'll try to at least keep them from getting a good scan." He sets to work, trying to block the Imperial sensors with their own. At least they may not figure out who we are...

ComputerUse - (1d20+7)[24]

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

Kera

"Aye, Cap'n." Kera smirks and pushes the ship back to the temporary full speed. Maintaining a straight line course to the jump point, she isn't stopping for anyone or anything. Well, she'd swerve if they tried to block her path or something, but definitely no stopping.

13. - Top - End - #493

AssassinGuy

Daine

"Unless you know how to run calculations for interferance," he says to the droid as it pushes itself around, "You need to relax." He jabs the comm. "Working on something, any speed we can get there quicker will be a help though, I don't know how long I can keep this up." His fingers begin to fly across the console calculating and changing the power distributions across the ship to cause interference with the scans of the cargo hold.

((
    Taking 10 on the first 9 rounds to cause interferance, have to see how things are shaping up at that point!

Round 1 - Computer Use DC15 Roll: 20 (taking 10)
    Round 2 - Repair DC20 Roll: 25 (taking 10)

Round 4 - Computer Use DC17 Roll: 20 (taking 10)
    Round 5 - Repair DC20 Roll: 25 (taking 10)

Round 7 - Computer Use DC19 Roll: 20 (taking 10)
    Round 8 - Repair DC20 Roll: 25 (taking 10)

))
    Last edited by Santanya; 2007-05-14 at 11:08 AM.
    DarkLadyoftheSith: Its not a Santanya post if there's not an edit at the end of it.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ogre in the Playground

Kera guns the engines(again) and once again the ship lurches forward. As Daine begins making adjustments to the engines the sounds echoing around this ship change and soon start to make a groaning distressed sound.

The altered power flow is affecting the ships sytems on the bridge as well. The sensor console is blinking on and off and remaining computer displays on the bridge are covered in random static.

After 10-15 seconds, Daine alters the power phase again and the ships sounds change again. This time the sound it more of a squeaky whine.

The ship's console displays change in time with the engine sounds. The sensor readout only shows ships and object directly in front of and directly behind the ship and the displays now have vertical lines which allow Evayn and Kera to only read every other word on the screen. It is hard to tell, but it almost looked like the Imperial Cruiser had started to move to intercept The Angry Mule.

Again, after 15 or so seconds, Daine alters the power phase once again. This time, the sound is somewhat similar to a pod racer with a thumping whump whump whump sound. This lower pitched sound carries and echos throughout the ship becoming totally deafening in the cargo area.

Spoiler
    Show

Kaff - Fortitude Save DC 15 or Deafened for 2d6 minutes.

This time the ship's displays become totally useless as they roll, as if on a CRT with a bad vertical hold setting. At least the scrolling and rolling is to the beat of the whumping. However, it is impossible to tell if, in fact, the cruiser had started closing on the ship.

Daine notices that several warning lights have come on as the engine strains to deal with the out of phase power at this higher than normal power level. If the engine survives this experience, the crew may have to deal with some higher than normal maintenance costs.

Spoiler
    Show

The ship is at about 260km on its way to 350km. Almost another minute and half to the hyperspace jump point(14 rounds).
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

R5-N8 (Nate)

As the sounds in the ship change Nate starts feeling a bit of worry. He rambles off something in Binary worriedly

Spoiler
    Show
    What is the bloody frell is going on here? I have a bad feeling about this.

The parts of the scared droid scatter across the floor into the far wall from the change in speed. The sound of metal and plastic pieces peppering the far wall can be heard by those close by. That is, until the thumping starts. "We're doomed. Please repeat your response on Galactic Basic. and whatever you just did sir, i know this may be out of place but i dont think that this ship is going to be able to take much more of this, and neither will i in this condition. whatever you did, i Suggest you undo it before this ship falls apart." says Nate.
    Now playing:

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ogre in the Playground

Kera

Glancing at Evayn, Kera's smirk has more or less evaporated. "Daine knows what he's doing." She sounds utterly and completely convinced of this. In every way. Because if he doesn't we're all probably going to die.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Orc in the Playground

Kaff

As the wall of sound penetrates the hatch to the weapon pod, Kaff swears, "Ahhhggg! By the damned . . .", he continues to swear for some seconds in several different languages. He knows few languages but one always learns the curse words first. Unknowing of who is responsible for the painful noise, Kaff spouts general insults directed at the parentage, sexual practices and in one instance, the food choice, of the person responsible for the sonic attack.

Fort Save
    (1d20+5)[6]

If failed, deaf for
    (2d6)[8]

18. - Top - End - #498

AssassinGuy

Daine

Daine keeps at it, smirking towards the droid. "Hey, unless you can understand me too, you can't do much," he says as he works. He reaches out stabbing the comm again. "Hey Evayn, the second they hail us, get on the comm and tell them that our power core is about to go critical, and if they value their pretty paint job, to keep clear so we don't splatter ourselves all over it when it goes," he shouts over the noise. "Saving the Empire's equipment and all that," he adds.

He says more quietly, "Provided that doesn't actually happen..."

((
    Computer Use: 1D20+10 = [12]+10 = 22
    Repair: (Taking 10 for 25)
    ))
    Last edited by Santanya; 2007-05-15 at 09:21 PM.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Good idea," Evayn replies, almost shouting over the engine noise. "What was that last, didn't quite here you." He sits and straps himself in. He pauses, then says "I hope that was a suggestion to ward them off, not an actual warning..."

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ogre in the Playground

Kera

"I'm sure it's just a suggestion. He'd never do anything stupid enough to actually blow the ship up." On purpose, anyway. "It's probably unnecessary anyway. Even if they do shoot at us, I can dodge it." The wattage of the confidence Kera projects is probably enough to make the control panel explode.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ogre in the Playground

As the ship speeds towards the jump point, Daine adjusts the power to the main ion drives one more time. After a slight pause to discuss the sanity of this course of action and the plan, should it fail, Daine applies the power settings.

Moments later the ship's engine starts making rapid high frequency chirping, which is almost a welcome change from the nausea inducing whumping of the last power setting. The chirping seems to almost be coming from everywhere as if the ship itself were chirping or if this was some sort of primative alarm system.

About twice per second, the various computer consoles act as if they were being de-gaussed, in that the screens wiggle and shake and for a moment become steady before wiggling again. This renders the consoles totally useless. Any incoming communications are fall on deaf ears(as it were).

The ear piercing chirps wreck havoc on the crew's hearing.
    Spoiler
    Show

Fort Save DC 8 to avoid deafness for one hour. Nate is immune.
    The ship is at about 288 km on the way to 350.
    Last edited by lawful_evil; 2007-05-18 at 04:38 PM.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Evayn claps his hands over his ears and shuts his eyes, trying to block out the piercing screech of the engine. "Good thing we're getting decent pay for this. The ship doesn't like this one bit!" Removing one hand from his ears, he strikes a key on the console to broadcast on all channels to those close by. Unsure whether outgoing communications will work at all, he says "Attention! Please keep your distance! Our engines are going critical, we're trying to keep away from other ships! Our engineer is working on the problem, but please stay back!"

Fort - (1d20+1)[4]

23. - Top - End - #503
    Orc in the Playground

Kaff

Already deafened by the hideous whumping noise that came from the cargo hold, Kaff thinks there might be more sound coming through - he can certainly feel the vibrations.

While he still has no power to the gun that he is manning, Kaff actually feels that this is good news. He hasn't seen any shots come at them so he hopes that it means that no one is actually shooting at them. However, it could be that they have come from the starboard side and that Daine is incapacitated and hasn't turned on the power.

Thinking about it, Kaff wishes he hadn't thought about it.

Fort save
    (1d20)[14]+5

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

Kera

Finding further chit-chat pointless, Kera gets that slightly unhinged grin she tends to adopt when things seem like they might fall apart at any second. When we get into hyperspace, the droid can wait...

{
    fort save: 12
    }

25. - Top - End - #505

AssassinGuy

Daine

Daine winces painfully as the ship chirps at him. "I'm sorry," he hisses to it as his fingers fly over the console. "Just give me a little longer... just a little longer."

((
    Fort Save:1D20 = [14] = 14

Computer Use: 1D20 + 10 = [17]+10 = 27
    Repair: (Taking 10 for 25)
    ))
    Last edited by Santanya; 2007-05-17 at 03:38 AM.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Nate

All of Nates parts that are attached to his CPU start moving spuraticly and without avail. All of his tool mounts protruding and retracting uncontrolably.

"Sage, Blue Leader is sending me orders to tell you to returne to ship. is your Com unit down? Diagnostice show that they arn't. Wait what?! Ive been ordered to seis control of your ship sir. perhaps we should return to dock? Abort! Abort attack run! 3 class c Tie fighters are aproching from 11 o'clock. Scan shows weapons are at full power sir... R5-N8 to base. pilot not responding requesting a pick up of the ship. i have agressive targets approching fast. Ejecting..."

The movement suddenly stops and Nate spouts off an intangable stream of nonsence in binary.

Spoiler
    Show
    Map... scan... cant... flip... Squeek... Peskey dewrat... i hate sand... whats going on... We're doomed... Fish...miner. Ewoks are nasty buggers...

His saw spins to life with a cry as his optical unit searches franticly for an opponent that isnt there.

Stay back... you scavengers. this is not the the droid your looking for.

His saw jabs at the air. stopping short of hitting anyone. anything on his person he can control stands up straight and the strain of his processer can be heard.

I'm tellin you D-4PO these miners get ruder and ruder with each passing day. I'm tellin you one day there gonna push me to far. What do you mean what am i gonna do. you makin fun of me too? Worthless bucket of bolts. I;m sorry i didnt mean that. Your a worthless bucket of junk. Bolts are still usable.

Parts still wurring and lights glowing Nate continues to spurt off what seems to be nonsence.
    Now playing:

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ogre in the Playground

As the ship clears the 300km mark(on its way to 350km), Daine adjusts the power to the main ion drives one more time. When Daine applies the power settings there is a momentary pause with silence followed by a head shattering sound.

If you focus and pay attention to the sound it almost sounds like rolling an iron drum over broken glass. The crackling of the glass and the metallic echos of the drum.

The computer consoles on the bridge also clear up for a second or two. During that time Evayn is able to see that the Imperial cruiser did indeed adjust its course. It is closing on The Angry Mule, but is only 26km away. The mule is nearly within weapon's range(about 10km).

After the momentary act of kindness, the ship's bridge console screens just turn off. There is a faint smell of something burning, followed by the strong smell of burnt hair and flesh.

The ear crunch snaps also wreck havoc on the crew's hearing and equilibrium.
    Spoiler
    Show

Fortitude Save DC 8 or deaf for 2d10 minutes
    Willpower Save DC 10 or stunned for 1d4 rounds.
    Nate is immune to both effects.
    Kaff and Evayn are immune to the stunning(because they are deaf), but can extend their deafness.
    Almost there... 309km out of 350km.
    Last edited by lawful_evil; 2007-05-18 at 05:04 PM.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

Kera

Wincing, Kera rips her hands away from the controls to cover her ears briefly. She begins swearing loudly in every language she knows, using exceptionally heated curses. But she keeps the ship flying straight and level.

{
    Saves:
    Fort 9
    Will 17
    }

29. - Top - End - #509
    Orc in the Playground

Kaff

With the massive increase in the vibration level, Kaff began to look around the weapons pod and wondered (ie hoped) that it would make an improvised 'excape' pod.

He also noticed, looking out of the transparent pod, a point of light that looked suspiciously like a ship, a ship that may well being ready to attack them. "Uh, I've got something here." Kaff said although his voice sounded funny through his own ears. "Daine, you might want to activate the weapons now! Daine? Are you there Daine?"

Fort Save against even more deafness (DC 8)
    (1d20)[14]+5
    (2d10)[6]

30. - Top - End - #510
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Evayn returns his hands to his pounding ears, now filled with a strange ringing. He grits his teeth, hoping to avoid any permanent damage. He reaches out and continues to broadcast the false message of warning, his own voice strangely distant and almost silent.

Fort - (1d20+1)[16]
    If failed: (2d10)[12] rounds deafness + 1 hour.