1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Adventures in Oregon [Capaign Write Up]

Hello, all.

Brief note; I am very tired. I do most of my writing here late at night, so it's probably rife will errors. I don't mind if you want to point them out to me so I can fix them.

This is a write up for my IRL gaming group. I will be using this space as an archive of rules changes, and to allow players who may be absent for a session to catch up on what has transpired as well as serving as a record if anyone wishes to relive particularly spectacular moments.

This post will be used primarily for rules modifications and interesting tidbits about the system.

The Rules
    We're playing a homebrew system called Universal Decay [Not mine, but Shameless plug anyway.] which focuses largely on mutable tech, and is proud of being "gritty" and "realistic" for a pen and paper RPG. For it's solid basis in 3.5, it can be very difficult to pick up some of the nuances. It is very modular and includes rules for everything from stone age cavemen to intergalactic civilizations. As well as magic and super powers. We will be using modern day technology and magic with steep penalties on the magic, more setting information in subsequent posts.

We are also using a chapter out of the Dresden Files RPG/FATE. I have tried to play DFRPG more than once in the past, and while I really like how fun and imaginative the game can be, I feel like the combat system is way too open ended, trusting you to use combat sparringly and accept defeat rather than have real risk involved. Therefore, we are using a hybrid of this character creation system fueled by Fate Tokens, and Hero Points.

The exact rules we are using are somewhat complicated because the system has built up as an agragate of things we have liked from all the systems we have played in the last few years. And they go like this:

Spoiler
    Show
    The DFRPG/FATE has a system for character creation that is based on the premise that play begins at character creation, not that play begins after character creation. As such creating your character is a social exercise in teamwork. I especially like it because it really helps the players get to know their characters before play starts. You can read all about it here.

As you flesh out your character it aqcuires Aspects which allow it to obtain Fate Tokens. Fate Tokens are designed to allow your character to do more than usual in the DFRPG rules, but that system isn't really compatible with the rules system we are using, so we had to make something else up.

In Pathfinder, and as I recal 3.0 there is an optional rule called Hero Points. Pathfinder SRD is the only place I could find a full write up online, so that is the version we began with. Hero Points very similar to Fate Tokens, but with several key differences. Since Hero Points are much more powerful than Fate Tokens they are more difficult to get, so the effects needed to be toned down, and as we have some cooperative storytelling effects in play, some additional effects were added.

FATE Rules
    Spoiler
    Show

You begin with Fate Points equal to your Character Level (1).
    You may only keep twice your Character Level plus one Fate Points at any time (2x1)+1=3. Any extra earned points are lost.
    You will all gain Fate Points at any significant milestone. (The conclusion of an adventure arc, a major story milestone, leveling up, etc)
    During Character Creation we will talk about Aspects and how they effect you. Their primary purpose is to allow you to gain, as well as spend Fate Points. The best Aspects are ones that may be used for either.
    At any time I may pass you a note indicating a course of action I want the story to take, regarding one of your Aspects. Likely the outcome will not be favorable. You may chose to accept or decline the offer. If you accept, you will receive one Fate Point, and the action will take place. If you decline, something else will happen. The something else may be worse, or better, or I may offer another Fate Point to you or someone else.

Make a Declaration: Make a statement about the story. The GM gets final say, but you can make almost anything true to enhance or change the direction of the story. Ex: An unfriendly guard is now much more sympathetic. Or: The little one horse town you are in now has a small clinic rather than no medical facilities.

Dues Ex Machina: You may spend the required amount of money to purchase an item without shopping for it or needing to go and get it. You had purchased it last time you were shopping. This may not bring you over your current encumbrance level. (If unencumbered, you must remain so. If encumbered it can not move you to a greater penalty)

This section is copy pasted from the SRD and may contain errors and poor formatting. However, I think I removed the bulk of the errors.

Act Out of Turn: You can spend a Fate Point to take your turn immediately. Treat this as a readied action, moving your initiative to just before the currently acting creature. You may only take a move or a standard action on this turn.

Inspiration: If you feel stuck at one point in the adventure, you can spend a Fate Point and petition the GM for a hint about what to do next. If the GM feels that there is no information to be gained, the Fate Point is not spent.

Reroll: You may spend a Fate Point to reroll any one d20 roll you just made. You must take the results of the second roll, even if it is worse.

Special: This is similar to Make a Declaration above, but with some different applications, they are both in just to expand on the options you have. You can petition the GM to allow a hero point to be used to attempt nearly anything that would normally be almost impossible. Such uses are not guaranteed and should be considered carefully by the GM. Possibilities include making an attack that blinds a foe or bypasses its damage reduction entirely, or attempting to use Diplomacy to convince a raging dragon to give up its attack. Regardless of the desired action, the attempt should be accompanied by a difficult check or penalty on the attack roll.

Cheat Death: A character can spend 2 Fate Points to cheat death. How this plays out is up to the GM, but generally the character is left alive, with negative hit points but stable. For example, a character is about to be slain by a critical hit from an arrow. If the character spends 2 Fate Points, the GM decides that the arrow pierced the character’s holy symbol, reducing the damage enough to prevent him from being killed, and that he made his stabilization roll at the end of his turn. Cheating death is the only way for a character to spend more than 1 Fate Point in a turn.

I don't know how I feel about this bit from the SRD, but for the time being I plan on including it. It is edited to reduce the bonus, and I may nix it later depending on how I feel about it's use and the number of Fate Points going around.

Bonus: If used before a roll is made, a Fate Point grants you a +4 luck bonus to any one d20 roll. If used after a roll is made, this bonus is reduced to +2.

About my GM style
    I have always kind of felt that most standard D&D games consist of the GM having a story and my character being just kind of along for the ride. I would make a character that would fit the story the best I could, but it never really felt right because I obviously didn't have the entire story at the start.

I've been on the other side of this coin as well, so I'm not criticizing my DMs for handling storytelling that way. After all, how do you write an adventure for characters you know nothing about? You can be a fantastic writer, but it will never quite fit because you're writing a story for Joe Anybody instead of for a specific character.

I did not want this game to feel like that. The DFRPG encourages cooperative storytelling, and that extends NPC creation, and that is what we're going to do. Some NPCs are going to be done by me behind the scenes, but many of them will be done with player input. This helps the players to feel connected to the NPCs in a very real way. Especially if it's supposed to be an NPC the PCs are supposed to know from the past. It really helps them feel organic as well, having traits that the PCs would find appealing as well as giving the GM a little distance from the NPC creation process. I don't know how exactly to word this. I feel like writers, GMs included, tend to write about what they know, and what they know tends to be... limited in some regards. As a result I think most characters we come up with are going to be less deep than they could be with input from other perspectives. Not to mention just how much easier it makes prep work. This doesn't need much expanding upon. It is easy mode game running.

Obviously players are not going to want bad things to happen to their characters, but they aren't going to write the story, just enough so that they feel engaged, and like the world is a living breathing thing where NPCs have lives and stories of their own going on.

I'm going to make bad things happen to their characters

I try not to punish character death. Losing a well written character, and an integral part of the party is loss enough. Likewise, I try not to punish a character losing favor. If you do not like the character you are playing, and it is time for them to retire, and live a quite life away from it all, that's fine too. You know, don't do it every session, but if for whatever reason your character isn't working out let me know. It may be as simple as ret-con-ing a few things, or maybe it's time to reroll.

On the subject of character death, it may well happen. I will not pull any punches if you do something stupid. If a 30' fiery demon throws a BMW at you, it is unlikely that you will be able to defeat it in hand to hand combat. If you try, it will likely pummel you to a paste and I won't feel bad about it. There will be some encounters where the only way to survive will be to flee, others may only be defeatable with some information I do not directly give you.
    Last edited by IonDragon; 2013-11-07 at 07:23 PM.
    My games:
    Have you ever wondered How to Succeed in Evil?

Thanks licoot for the awesome Pip avatar!

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Adventures in Oregon [Capaign Write Up]

{Reserved}
    My games:

3. - Top - End - #3

This post will include overarching setting information, as well as listing current and past party members and their status. It will be expanded on as more information becomes available.

Setting Information
    In brief; the setting is Modern Horror with some magic. It is based in Eugene, Oregon, a major, though not spectacularly large city.

What you need to know is very brief. The setting is today, almost exactly as far as the average NPC is concerned, only magic exists. However, it is very weak. Many people are able to tap into it, but most of them keep it quiet, or are dismissed as clever illusionists. Occasionally something magical in nature will happen, but your average person will go through great lengths to ignore it. Known to any character with ranks in Kn. Arcana, there exist places where magic is more powerful. These are not static places. It is theorized that they once were with sites such as Stonehenge built to take advantage of them, but that is no longer the case. (Global mana mod -5, reduced in some areas detectable by detecting magic DC 15 to identify)

Gun laws will be important. I don't know what Oregon's are, but I assume they are more lenient than California however we will be using California's because I know what they are for the most part and I am more interested in them. No full auto, no autofire, no explosive, no incendiary, no flechette (tech level), performing most modifications to your firearm is technically illegal, but not likely to be discovered. To obtain a concealed carry permit, you must
    a) Be a resident of Oregon
    b) Submit to a background check requiring your ssn, and fingerprints
    c) Pay $500
    d) Pass a DC 20 Diplomacy check and a DC 15 either Kn. Law Enforcement or Military

Explosives are highly restricted, and largely illegal. Smoke grenades are legal.

There are probably a few abnormal creatures going through life disguised as humans about, but I don't expect that to come up at all during the first adventure arc.

The Party
    Theodore Bare; A traveling lecturer visiting the U of O.
    High Concept- Curious Anthropologist
    Phase 1- Curiosity killed the cat
    Phase 2- Fast adapter
    Phase 3- Wrong thing at the right time
    Phase 4- I Call Her Vera
    Phase 5- There is no such thing as overkill

BANG! Gesundheit:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Theodore - Theodore was doing research with a south American tribe along the Amazon River. While writing in his journal when he heard gunfire. When he wakled outside men with chainsaws & guns were cordoning off the area and leading the tribes people off. They were all lined up by a ditch. The actions of guns clicked, then the triggers were pulled. At that moment, Theodore sneezed. They missed him, and he ran.

Mojavae - While on vacation in South America Mojavae was walking through the jungle when she heard gun fire. She started walking toward the noise when she was almost run over by Theodore. He quickly told her what happened. Mojavae told him it would be all right. Pulling her crossbow out Mojavae continued on towards the noise to try and save/ avenge the others.

Joseph Wandering-Crow - While in South America running a medical clinic Joe is approached by Theodore stumbling out of the woods. He tells his story and Joe knows that people are in need of help. Joe grabs his pistol the locals gave him for defense and heads out to save people by doing harm.

Joseph Wandering-Crow; An EMT with access to healing magic.
    High Concept- Modern Day Medicine Man
    Phase 1- Spirit Talker
    Phase 2- Trust me, I'm a doctor
    Phase 3- Soul man
    Phase 4- Not in it for the money
    Phase 5- This is for your own good

Fox:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Joseph Wandering-Crow - The Salish spirit of life has been angered and the people of a nearby tribe have been falling gravely ill. Can Joe talk the spirit back into it's benevolent ways and mend the ways of the tribe?

Arthur - A local grad student turns out to be the one to blame. His experiments in raising the dead have angered the spirit of life. But with no convincing proof for the academic world that magic is real. Arthur is loathe to stop what he's doing.

Mojavae - Hearing about the troubles of the local tribe Mojavae goes to see if she can lend a hand. What she finds is a medicine man and a student trying to placate a spirit. But that's not the only threat they face. Can she protect them from this new all too real threat? And if she can will they still be able to stop the spirit? Or is it all already too late?

Mojavae; A woods-woman who lives in a cabin in the forest.
    High Concept- Naturalistic Warrior
    Phase 1- At home in nature
    Phase 2- Not Political
    Phase 3- Defender of the weak
    Phase 4- Killer in the trees
    Phase 5- Determined

Forest's Friend:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mojavae - While walking throgh the woods one day Mojavae came across the mutilated corpses of animals in inhumane traps. She quickly set about releasing the animals from the traps and sending them back to nature. Then she set about trying to find those responsible.

Arthur - Mojavae gets help finding the trapper-psycopaths with the help of one Arthur Knowles, local grad student. Arthur is able to use his skills as a researcher and a smooth-talker to track down a few good leads and point Mojavae in the right direction to deal with the animal corpsemakers.

Theodore - After being asked for help by a young girl for help with some crazy people, Teddy sets out on a mission to find and deal with them. He finds them in a house by a river butchering endangered animals. When they see him they all pull guns on him. After trying to negotiate unsuccessfully he pulls his gun and dodges bullets fired at him. He jumps up and shoots them all down.

Arthur Knowles: Undergrad Necromancer.
    High Concept- Grad Student Mage
    Phase 1- Keep your head down
    Phase 2- Seeing is Believing
    Phase 3- Pushes the big red button
    Phase 4- Cassandra's tears
    Phase 5- Researcher

Zombies? On MY University Campus? It's more likely than you think
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arthur - After reading aloud from a Book of the Dead, zombies rise on the University of Oregon campus. With no formal combat training or gear, Arthur must survive a horde of the undead.

Theodore - As he was looking for his lecture hall he got a bad feeling(vibe) from the medical wing so he decided to investigate. He ran over to find out what it was and saw a bunch of dead people walking towards a not dead man. He ran to the storage area to grab a weapon, a scalpel or something. In the room he found an old man dead with a hole in his head, a highly customized revolver in one hand and a note in the other. He proceeded to make his way to the not dead man.

Joe - Joe got a call from an old med school friend that they needed as many medics as could be rounded up at the campus. There was some kind of mass hysteria going on, turns out it was zombies. Animated by magic. Who caused this?

Robert Boone:
    High Concept:Bounty Hunter Skirting the Law
    Phase 1- Dauntless Fighter
    Phase 2- Flexible Moral Fiber... For The Right Price.
    Phase 3- Big Brother is Watching
    Phase 4- I love target rich environments
    Phase 5- I will fight for the weak

Spoiler
    Show
    Robert - After landing in jail for breaking someone's leg, Robert knew he needed to clean up his act, at least a little bit, or he would end up rotting in prison. So he turned away from the high paying mercenary jobs and took up a job as a campus security guard but what will he do when trouble finds him?

Relationships
    Spoiler
    Show
    Helen - Sister - 22 - Bend, OR
    Emily - Niece, Helen's daughter - 3
    Last edited by IonDragon; 2013-12-01 at 08:09 PM.
    My games:

4. - Top - End - #4

Session one
    Session one was very basic, and very usual. Character creation began with selecting party roles. Given very little information most of the party decided to go with Rogue for the versatility. Tanking and healing do not work well in this system so the classic party trope does not really apply. One party member(the one not yet listed in the party roster) decided to be our primary damage dealer and went with Warrior (a difference in class naming, this is the primary combat class in this system). Mojave who joined later is playing a Vagabond, which is sort of a hybrid of Rogue and Warrior, and due to her build is kind of like a Ranger. In fact, during character creation she considered playing an actual park ranger.

After roles were established characters began to emerge with skills and stats. There's not much else to say, most of it will go up in the Characters post above.

All quite standard.
    Last edited by IonDragon; 2013-11-07 at 03:40 PM.
    My games:

5. - Top - End - #5

Session Two
    Session two began with the Dresden Files step of character creation. Players wrote about their character's background, from childhood on, then wrote about a shared story they have. The format is similar to writing a book jacket.

This process takes some time, and after about three hours we had a solid understanding of who our characters were, and where they were headed.

After this step we broke for dinner.

After the break we began discussing where the adventure was headed. It was revealed that the location of the first adventure would be Oakridge, OR.

Vital statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Population 3205

Location: 45 Min (often longer) from Eugene East on the OR-58.

Established in 1852 as a possible route for pioneers, Oakridge began as a mountain ranching community. It has since been a railroad boomtown, a lumberjack haven, and recently an outdoor enthusiast's destination since the closure of the Pope & Talbot Mill in 1992 causing widespread unemployment.

Elevation: 1240 ft above sea level
    Area: 2.2 mi^2 total
    0.1 mi^2 water
    2.1 mi^2 land

Resources: Small K-6 & 7-12 schools serving local and surrounding areas children
    Pharmacy

So, with that information we set to work on important NPCs. We have:

Samantha Ferring (Sam, not Samantha)
    Who is the Face of: Ferring Outdoors (a play on Fairing Outdoors)
    High Concept: Tomboy Outdoor Enthusiast
    Motivation: Looking for paternal approval. Her father's only child, her father really wanted a son
    and to have her store prosper in dificult times.
    She has the following relationships: Stuart Carpenter is her room mate in an apartment over the store. There is mutal unresolved sexual tension. Highschool friends.
    Former survival student of a class Mojavae sometimes teaches

Stuart Carpenter
    Face of: Carpenter Tree Climbing Co. (Located in Ferring Outdoors)
    High Concept: History Gamer Nerd
    Motivation: Plays Assasin's Creed for the lore. Has all collector's edittions.
    Started his bisuiness to impress Sam
    Relationships: Sam Ferring, same information.

Sheriff Robinson
    Face of: Local law enforcement
    High Concept: Dedicated but not motivated
    Motivation: Take care of town's people. If you ask them about him they'll say he's a "really good guy", but people from out of town think he's kind of a hard ass. He would like to regain lost glory from his football days in HS. Age 33, 2 kids, bloodhound dog.
    Relationships: Married to cheerleader from his football days, she is a den mother to a local boyscout troop.

I was able to reveal that Sam Ferring is contacting Mojavae for assistance locating Stuart Carpenter who has gone missing, but I have not yet revealed any more information. Some of this may play out via email, as it is still set up, otherwise we will be meeting again in two weeks. More information will be added to the setting information soon.
    Last edited by IonDragon; 2013-11-07 at 06:45 PM.
    My games:

6. - Top - End - #6

Session Three
    An unscheduled, unplanned session took place. Everyone just happened to be free in the evening, so we played into the night.

Robert Boone joined the party, and was caught up on character creation.

After Sam contacts Mojavae she calls Joseph. Joseph three way calls Arthur and Theodore. Theodore in turn requests Boone's assistance. They all drive as quickly as possible to Oakridge and meet up at Ferring Outdoor. Sam explains further that Stuart has been gone for four and a half days. He was only supposed to be gone three. His trip plan was to hike out one day, make a base camp, and do a day hike out from there for another day, then hike back with all of his gear. There is a rain storm coming in that should be breaking some time that evening, so time is of the essence (and also the reason she could not go on her own). This is not uncommon for mid-fall in the area.

Quickly stocking up on trail food they head out. Picking up Stuart's trail was easy for Mojavae who follows the trail for several miles. About six miles out they found Stuart's base camp set up and undisturbed with two days of food remaining. Arthur complains about the conditions and having to camp out. He uses Stuart's camping gear, and eats the food.

Camp is made, watches are taken, the night is undisturbed. At about 4 AM a thick fog rolls in which is not particularly notable except that the rain never started as it was supposed to in the forecast.

In the morning the party moves on. The fog is incredibly thick, reducing movement speed. Coupled with the speed reduction required for tracking they are moving at a crawl. In the afternoon Mojavae and Robert spot movement twenty or thirty feet ahead just off of the trail. When they alert the party vision suddenly drops to zero.

Through the thick fog, a white substance is slowly falling. Possibly ash, or snow. Theodore, ever curious, without heed to his safety decides eating it is the best course of action. It turns out to be snow. This is a very unusual weather for this climate at this elevation. The temperature falls rapidly with no obvious cause.

The party huddles together, seeking safety in the herd. Robert scouts ahead, but finds nothing where he had seen movement so he returns to the party. Without warning Mojavae and Robert are struck with blistering cold. Joseph tries to determine the amount of ambient magic. He is unable to see through the fog, which is revealed to be magical. Arthur gives Mojavae protection from the cold.

Robert goes out in front to see what hit him and almost trips over a Tiny snowball looking creature with bright blue eyes which lets out a surprised squeak. He attempts to shoot it. In response it headbutts his leg and then disappears into the mist. He attempts to follow, but gets tangled up in tree branches.

Joseph explains that there is a dense concentration of magical energy in the area, something he has not seen before.

The snowball monster ran away taking the super dense fog with it as well as the snow. The regular, non magical fog remained.

Two miles later, the tracks left the trail. Another mile later, night was falling. The party makes camp near the tracks.

During the third shift Boone sees shapes moving in the fog. He wakes the rest of the party. Joseph places lights out in the fog to provide back illumination. Something big is moving, circling the party. They load for bear. Theodore's Danger Sense is going crazy.

Several minutes later whatever it was disappears. Mojavae checks for it's tracks and finds evidence of a size Large evidently predatory cat. The paw prints are ringed in frost.

Not much else happened after that. Another mile or two later they reached the end of the tracks, and that's where we ended to keep it suspenseful.
    Last edited by IonDragon; 2013-11-11 at 10:37 PM.
    My games:

7. - Top - End - #7

Session Four

With Stuart wasting away in unknown condition the party hastened to his rescue. The morning of the third day on the trail dawns dim and cold as the ones previous. Thick fog obscures the trail, but they follow it to it's end. Right at the end they are attacked by a comically cartoonish ghost creature firing lightning, which they dispatch without trouble.

The tracks lead into a cave of some sort. Inside is a steep drop off of about 50 feet. Using Mojavae's rope they repel down without trouble, easily avoiding an obvious pitfall that had probably injured Stuart. Sharp rocks threatened their rope, but with foresight they were able to protect it by sacrificing Mojavae's jacket. At the base they found empty food wrappers, torn cloth and a short, broken aluminum tube with a rubber handle.

The path leads to a fork. One way there is light, and a little bit of sound, the other the sounds of running water. Deciding Stuart probably had to find water since he has been gone for a week they follow the sound of water ignoring another fork as well. Their suspicions were correct and Stuart was unconscious almost in a muddy underground stream. It appeared he had splinted his own leg, and broken his nose in the fall. Joe tried to heal him, but his ritual was interrupted by a pile of rocks. They snuck up behind him, punched him in the knee and were promptly dealt with by concentrated fire from the entire party save Arthur who moped in the corner complaining about the damp and chill.

Again, ignoring the light and other paths they hurried back to the exit. Stuart was hoisted up in a hammock and then carried back to his last camp still in the hammock slung over Mojavae and Theodore. They are attacked by two tiny ice elementals, and a tiny air elemental. The elementals' breath weapon attacks coupled with the vision penalties that seem to follow the ice elementals made combat incredibly tough.

That night, camp was made in Stuart's camp from the first night. In the morning, Stuart was able to hobble along with assistance and a make shift crutch. Reaching the cars was no problem, except that about a mile from the trail head it all turned suddenly to mud. It did not pose a significant hazard, it only confirmed that the rain storm that was forecast did in fact hit, it only did not hit them.

The rest of the trip was reasonably calm. Despite some perfectly mundane fog, and Stuart falling asleep in the car nothing of note happened. Stuart was put to bed and Sam offered her heartfelt thanks.

Here I ran out of prepared material because I thought we weren't meeting for another day, and I could spend my Saturday writing. XP and Fate Tokens were handed out as reward for rescuing Stuart, the party leveled, and the session ended.
    Last edited by IonDragon; 2013-11-17 at 02:15 AM.
    My games:

8. - Top - End - #8

Taking a couple of weeks off for the holidays. Should be back to the regular schedule on the 7th I think.
    My games:

9. - Top - End - #9

Session Five

GM note: I forgot to update here for quite some time. The next few entries will be rather brief.

Stuart was fine, fully healed by Joseph.

It was revealed that Stuart was looking for a silver vein or cave writings he thought he had seen. In the cavern.

Boone was very keen to return and check for treasure.

Faint markings were found on the walls in several locations. They seemed to be Native American pictographs. Investigating the source of the light from the first visit they found a ritual room with obsidian dais. When Boone (or Arthur, I'm afraid I don't recall) entered the room it triggered some form of trap. Flashlights were disabled, and the ambient light created in the room were extinguished as well leaving everyone in pitch black.

Lightning flashed and thunder rolled, and standing on the black dais was a man with the head and claws of a mountain lion. A Snake Eater, a sort of demigod of the Native American tribe that had been completely wiped out.

Joseph spent a Fate Point to translate the glyphs on the walls which revealed the bloody end to the local Native Americans. They all gave their lives to fuel the ritual which created the monster. The last line of defense against the ever increasing expansion into The West. The last was the greatest warrior, who became the creature.

Created by pain and death for the sole purpose of destroying the invaders it slept for centuries.

Arthur froze the doorway with Joseph still inside to cover the party's escape.

The Snake Eater charged through the ice wall, leaping over Joseph and crashed into the cave wall on the other side. Arthur continued to lay down ice walls to slow the monster.

Arthur managed to buy ten rounds for Joseph to make a Diplomacy check, spending yet another Fate Point (and earning one for the suicidally bad idea). He flubbed the roll and spent his last Fate Point to reroll, getting a Natural 20 for a result of over 25.

Mojavae stayed behind, but only at the entrance of the cave to wait and see what would happen.

Theodore meanwhile rigged an explosion to cause a landslide blocking the cave entrance.
    My games:

10. - Top - End - #10

Session Six

After several days of digging, the party excavates Mojavae and Joseph finding them hungry, but just fine.

Down time happened, and it was too boring to remember. I think someone leveled up (possibly everyone).

Arthur animated a dead dog.

The party began to have weird shared dreams where everyone died.
    My games:

11. - Top - End - #11

Session Seven

Dreams continued becoming increasingly more violent and graphic.

The Enemy resolved from shadow creatures into Slender Man-eque Large humanoids showing massive amounts of heat via thermal scans, but projecting none of it.

At some point Theodore became one and killed Joseph.

Some clues revealed a location near Redding of a burned out hospital. The party investigated and discovered just an empty husk of a building.
    Last edited by IonDragon; 2014-03-10 at 10:40 PM.
    My games:

12. - Top - End - #12

Session Eight

There was a unanimous vote to stay the night in the potentially haunted burned out hospital, so they went to dinner at Denny's and came back just after sunset.

However, they found that someone else was already there! A car was parked outside with no one to be seen, and there were lights on in the third floor window.

Theodore claimed he saw a night knight on the roof, and everyone ignored him because he is nutty as a fruitcake.

In the entryway a ghostly apparition greeted them from the information desk while other ghosts laughed and exchanges stories in the commissary.

The second floor proved much more sinister as they were immediately set upon by a head, sans torso with four arms growing out from the back of it.

Boone made quick work of it, but the horrors of the second floor did not stop there. They entered the surgery theatre observation level and saw three doctors "operating" on a conscious man as he screamed and tried to pile his intestines back into his abdominal cavity.

Theodore elected to pound on the glass and shout at them, causing them to end their patient and rush to the observation level and attempt to end Theodore.

The third floor revealed four humans, several armed surrounding one of the party's dream monsters. The least armored and only woman was attempting to heal it.

Theodore took exception to that and detonated a small explosive charge. Inside of her neck. Contained within a bullet.

Mojavae then detonated a significantly large explosive opening a hole in the third floor stairwell to the outside of the building. Boone (who thankfully was all out of explosives) did no detonating, and settled for blowing holes in the Slender Man. Who completely ignored it, electing to down to of the men who had been healing it, the third of which vaulted straight out.

When the dust settled the party had two dead bodies, and one almost dead man loaded into the trunk of a jeep, along with five party members inside. They wandered into the wilderness and zombied one, who promptly killed himself, and turned the woman into a ghost with none of the fun ghost abilities so she entertained herself by screaming at Theodore and then ghosting into the ground.

They evidently forgot about the one left alive, but I expect they'll remember by next session and say they were just saving him for later.
    My games: