New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: St Ambrose School for the Extraordinary: Settling In

Rare was the gamer who would simply follow the obvious route to the level's goal. To do so was to risk missing out on valuable EXP and power ups. The youth jumped up to the roof of the building, panning his camera around so he could see what was going on around the corner and getting a birds-eye view of the immediate area.

Spoiler
    Show
    Routine Perception check for 16. Extended, Radius Vision.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

For a moment, Megan considered following Kevin to the roof, and even reached for the Buzzer, but decided the group has the higher ground covered already and ran towards the corner.
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Protocol V-762: Alarm, ytpe unknown, Environment urban, Reinforcements present.

Determine source of alaaarm, modify procedure accordingly. Use of force authorized if appropriate. Coordnae with allies nearby.

###Vasilly, were you drunk when you wrote these commands, or are you just illiterate? Half of them are worse than this! I want them cleaned up before you even think of submitting them to the AI team! - Lieutenant Kuznetsov

Zoya shakes her head as she finally parses the ancient command and snaps back to reality. Well not reality, really, but you know what I mean. There's a mechanical clang and a loud roar as the jets in her legs come to full power, and she flies up, alighting on the rooftop near Kevin. "Be on your guard, we do not know what kind of alarm this is, or what caused it."
    Lovely Gorgon avatar by smuchmuch!

Excellent Ex-avatar Collection
    Spoiler
    Show

Air Ace and Gremlin by the superb kpenguin.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

From their vantage points on the roof and on the ground our heroes will see a hulking ogre of a man in what looks like several pinstripe suits sown together. Next to him stands a blonde woman dressed like a Vegas showgirl holding some kind of bulky rifle. Standing in front of them in a rough semi-circle are 10 identically dressed guards wearing similar clothes to their boss.

"What I don't even rate real capes?! They sent kids?! Doll, waste these mooks an' I'll get you the biggest rock you ever seen." The woman nods, leveling her weapon at Lena and the dragon. "Anything for you Boss."

Spoiler
    Show
    Anyone is welcome to roll INT (Cause none of you have any relevant Expertises) to try and identify these ne'er-do-wells.

Oh and ROLL INITIATIVE SUCKAS!

5. - Top - End - #95

Meta grins and cracks his knuckles.

I've got the big guy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll for intitiative[roll]1d20+2[/roll] Anyone's welcome to point out why I can't get this to work.

Just ignore this post.
    Last edited by metakirb; 2013-12-01 at 02:06 PM.
    The attempted return!

Nexus Character: Ary

Quote Originally Posted by Bookboy View Post
    Well, I was counting on you for someone. If you don't have a spare character, I start to get worried.
    Here're a bunch of old avatars made for me
    Spoiler
    Show

Sig space limited so credits to the creators of my avatars

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Severely outnumbered, Megan leaps back, almost crushing into the lamppost... or so it may seem. The last moment, she kicks the pole, launching herself upwards into a triple somersault - and in the middle of it, a small buzzing device reaches out from her towards the woman named Doll - no, towards the rifle she holds, the momentum from the girl's spinning granting it extra speed.
    Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    Move action: Agile feint against Doll as a routine check, result 23.
    Attack: Ranged disarm attempt, using All-out Attack and Power Attack.
    Attack at -5: (1d20+5)[6], vs. Dodge (possibly halved from Feint)
    In case of hit, Opposed Check: (1d20+8)[9] vs. Doll's Strength.
    Megan's Dodge/Parry are at -2 'till next round.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Oh, really... 2 nat-1's in a row?
    Show

Oh well, Rerolling the Attack with a Hero Point:
    (1d10+15)[21]

Extended signature

8. - Top - End - #98

Actual American gangsters! Zoya had only seen them in her "training" films, propaganda showing everything wrong with the criminal and capitalistic West. These were true villains!

The robot girl rapidly assesses the threat. A squad of armed thugs, unarmored, arrayed like bodyguards around an enormous brute of a man, and a woman in a very impractical outfit- with an anti-materiel rifle...

Correction, powerful android with multi-projectile weapon aimed at her new friends. Oh, and her. Zoya is too busy staring curiously at the new development to dodge the explosive disk. Her armored body takes the worst of it, but she does come out scorched and sparking in a few places.

Zoya cycles through her own built-in weapons until she reaches the one she's after. The Mikoyan 72-Bis light projector- a focused, military-grade strobe light, designed for disabling enemy pilots and snipers. Perfect.

She steps to the edge of the building and fires a beam right at the moll's eyes. "My turn, comrade."

Spoiler
    Show
    Attacking Doll with her Strobe Ray (Ranged Affliction, Visual Impaired, Disabled, Unaware). DC 18 Fort save if it hits. (1d20+8)[9]

Rolled Dodge and Toughness in the OOC. Zoya fails the Dodge and fails the toughness by 5, so she takes a bruise from the moll's attack.
    Last edited by ripleycat; 2013-12-02 at 07:06 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #99

Spoiler: Seriously? OK, re-rolling that.
    Show
    Hero point time already! What a good omen! (1d20+8)[11]

Edit: +10 on the reroll makes that a 12, total result is 20.
    Last edited by ripleycat; 2013-12-02 at 11:19 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Kevin pulled up his list of known supers and villains, quickly scanning through the profiles to see if he had these two. As he did, he summoned up a swirling ball of fire in his hand, hurling it for the woman...but it was just a bit off-center. It wound up bouncing off the ground, into the wall of the opposite building, and banking back to come at the big guy from behind!

Spoiler
    Show
    Free Action: Activate Menus for Enhanced Intellect. Kevin is Vulnerable while this power is active.

Intelligence to identify: (1d20+10)[28].

Standard Action: Shoot at Boss, using Ricochet 2 to bounce the attack from a hopefully unexpected angle. (1d20+8)[27]. On a hit, Toughness DC 23 vs. Damage.

50% chance of a Power Up appearing if Toughness check fails (11-20 = Power Up): (1d20)[13].

Move Action: Collect Power Up if one appears.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

11. - Top - End - #101
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lena rushed forward from behind the corner to get a better angle, and then concentrated on the large man's frame - lowering the temperature of the air around his bulk until frost began to form.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Move action: Assuming the gap is less than 250 ft, move to about 50 ft. away from the cluster. If it's more, than move the full 250.

Standard Action: Hypothermia Affliction (perception range) on "Boss"
    DC 18 Fortitude Check
    1st: Impaired and Vulnerable
    2nd: Disabled and Defensless

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Initiative
    Mockingbird:21
    Al's Moll:20
    Big Al:17
    Zoya:13
    The Mooks:12
    Frostbite: 11
    Platformer: 11
    Metakirb: 6
    Loving the enthusiasm guys but next time could you hold off on posting until I've posted up an initiative order for everyone? Villains are people too! If things have changed by the time your turn swings round obviously feel free to alter your action.

Taken off guard by Megan's display acrobatics her buzzer finds purchase on the showgirl's weapon though she shows unusual strength for her size and build in pulling it free. As the showgirl pulls back one thing becomes clear, she's not holding a gun at all! The clunky looking weapon is in fact one of her arms!

"Surprise kiddies."

There's a series of mechanical clunks as her weapon cycles through its available ammunition before she launches a small explosive device arcing towards the two young heroes on the roof!

Quote Originally Posted by Crunch
    Platformer and Zoya roll DC16 Dodge Check then DC18 Toughness Save if you pass and DC21 if you fail.
    "Keep 'em busy!"

The large man turns and moves in to the jewelry store behind them, entrusting the others to be able to hold their own against the 'kids'.

Zoya's up!
    Last edited by Dodgeson; 2013-12-02 at 02:56 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

The showgirl curses loudly in Russian as Zoya's weapon hits home, throwing up her arms to shield her eyes and blinking rapidly in order to try and clear her vision.

Al's Moll failed her fortitude save by 2 degrees she is now Visually Disabled
    Panicking as their boss's girl comes under fire, the criminals standing in front of them open fire with their pistols on the three nearest heroes but fail to have any effect, whether because of hardy draconic skin, impenetrable forcefields or natural athletic talent and agility on the part of their targets.

Despite his retreat in to the jewellery store, the large display windows provide an easy line of sight to the large gangster shoving jewelery in to the pockets of his poorly stitched suit. As the frost begins to form around him he flinches and fumbles momentarily, dropping some ill-gotten rings on the ground but he quickly manages to shake it off and continue looting.

Platformer's up!

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Kevin was engulfed in the explosion, mere feet from the detonation and without even a hint of cover. All he could do was cross his arms up in front of his chest. It didn't even shield his face.

But as far as his powers were concerned, that was a timed block. His life bar didn't even flinch.

Then he'd pull up menus on their opponents, and panning his vision around to get line of sight, bounce his fireball into the building after the boss.

Spoiler
    Show
    No change in the mechanics of the actions. Rolls were 28 to identify, 27 to hit, 13 for Unreliable power ups. Damage DC is 23 if the attack hits.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Villain Info
    Show
    The hulking brute currently looting the jewellery store goes by the name of Big Al, a walking talking cliche straight out of a bad gangster movie. Despite his high levels of superhuman strength and endurance his dimwit and small time mentality have always meant he's been little more than hired muscle for villains that were smarter, or even just had more force of personality than him. His lady friend however is a total enigma, it isn't even clear whether she's a cybernetically enhanced human or a full robot.

The fireball ricochets through the open doorway and hits its target dead on, the ganster practically roaring in fustration.

Big Al failed his toughness check by 1 degree he gains 1 bruise
    "Which part of keep these mooks busy did you not understand?!"

The successful hit his accompanied by a triumphant chord of music as Platformer's subconscious abilities bring a large and heavy looking mallet in to being. (I'm sorry, my reference pool for power-ups is incredibly limited. Enjoy your Smasher)

Metakirb's up!
    Last edited by Dodgeson; 2013-12-03 at 01:28 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106

Meta knows exactly who he wants to deal with. The stronger the better. That being so, he takes flight over the line of minions and gun-arm-girl, landing inside the shop, next to Big Al. As he lands, he spins a powerful kick at roughly stomach level before opening his wings again and sliding a few feet away from him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Movement action, Spinning kick : Break the Unbreakable, (1d20+9)[18], DC22, Move-by action.
    Last edited by metakirb; 2013-12-03 at 06:10 PM.
    The attempted return!

Well, I was counting on you for someone. If you don't have a spare character, I start to get worried.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

The large man takes Meta's blow without even flinching, turning his attention away from looting the store to face the young martial artist, cracking his knuckles threateningly.

"That the best you got kid?"

Mockingbird's up!

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

Disheartened by the futility of her previous attack for but a moment, Meganleaps towards the nearest wall, using it to push herself further upwards, at the same time catching the Buzzer as it darts back to her and throwing it again, this time, at the top of the lamppost - and the next moment, she pushes off the wall and swings towards the jewelry store. Curling into a cannonball-like position midair, she smashes through the showcase window, landing right behind the gangster. Now, Megan isn't weak, per se - in fact, she's remarkably athletic...for a girl her age, which means should she attempt to overpower this hulk of a man, he most likely wouldn't even notice. The trick is to make it so that the physical power doesn't even factor in here. With the momentum from the swing, a girl falls to the floor and slides between his legs and spreads her own legs into a split, kicking both his ankles from the inside. Good luck keeping your balance now, she smiles, flipping to her feet. "He's all yours", she gives a dragon boy an exaggerated bow.
    Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    Using Buzzer in Swinging mode, move action to get inside the store through the window; if you rule that some kind of check is needed to avoid being hurt by breaking glass, feel free to roll it for me. Then, Improved Trip on the gangster. Attack roll: (1d20+5)[18]. If hits, I force him into opposed Acrobatics check; Megan gets 28 with a routine check - beat that of fall prone :-) Also, if the attack fails, ignore the last sentence.
    Last edited by jamieth; 2013-12-04 at 01:14 AM.

Extended signature

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't even need to roll for that and take a hero point for the badass entrance. The lumbering gangster is taken completely off balance by Megan's acrobatic maneuver and falls flat on his face, utterly dispelling any aura of menace the thug was trying to project.

Outside, blinded as she is, his girl is faring little better. "Take out those brats on the roof!" Aiming towards them as best she can given her current state she lets loose sending a deluge of machine gun fire towards the two heroes.

Zoya roll DC 21 Toughness save
    Back in the jewelry store Al begins to pull himself off the ground, face practically red with frustration as the dragon slides out of his reach. Instead he attempts to take out his anger on his newest annoyance but the blow is wide and so telegraphed that the gymnast will have no problem in avoiding it.

Zoya's up!

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Following their boss's orders the cadre of mooks open fire on the two young heroes though in their panicked state they fail to connect with any of their shots, leaving plenty of holes in the surrounding masonary.

Lena's up!

21. - Top - End - #111

Lena lands in the middle of the goons, and floats downward - the air surrounding them becoming well below zero.

She concentrates on the cybernetic moll, attempting to freeze up her components.

Spoiler
    Show

Moving to a spot where I can be within 120 ft of the moll and the goons.
    Switching from flight to Environment (Extreme Cold, Reduce Speed 2)
    Using Frostbite on the moll - perception range, DC 23 damage check.

Since she's now in her favored environment, electing to get +2 to active defenses.
    Last edited by jolinaxas; 2013-12-09 at 01:02 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

The woman clutches her arms around herself, really regretting her choice of outfit as the cold sets in around her.

Big Al's Moll failed her toughness save by 1 degree she gains 1 bruise
    Platformer's up!

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

As Kevin touched the hammer, he...changed, slightly. What looked almost like a...silvery turtle shell appeared on his head and back, and the swirling flames hovering above his hand was replaced by a pair of large hammers. And he got a big grin on his face.

"Fished my wish," he said in a low, almost threatening voice.

Meanwhile, a little message box would appear sort of hovering off to the lower right of his allies' vision.

Platformer: Boss's name is Big Al. Pretty standard bruiser enemy. Strong, tough, and dumb. Also, Smasher off the bat! Woo-hoo! Check this out!
    And then he started chucking hammers at the gun-toting enemies with frankly ludicrous speed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Adding the Smasher effects to the Shoot power, changing Menus to Chat.

Standard Action: Shoot with Smasher - All Out Attack for 5, Multiattack for 3, Power Attack for 2.

I'm assuming these guys are Minions; if so, my first attack will be a Routine Check for a total result of 18. If that hits, all further attacks will be Routine Checks. If it misses, I'll roll further attacks normally.

Spoiler: A bunch of attack rolls, use them as needed in order
    Show
    (1d20+8)[24]
    (1d20+8)[10]
    (1d20+8)[12]
    (1d20+8)[17]
    (1d20+8)[21]
    (1d20+8)[14]
    (1d20+8)[11]
    (1d20+8)[10]
    (1d20+8)[26]
    (1d20+8)[15]

I initially attack three targets with Multiattack. Each one hit must make a Toughness check, DC 25, vs. Damage.

If they are minions, for each minion that drops, Takedown 2 from Smasher lets me make another single attack against another minion in range.

Minions don't award Power Ups.

EDIT: Kevin's Active Defenses are at -5 for rest of round (so DC 11 to hit him).
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2013-12-09 at 03:40 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

In a flurry of hammers the armed thugs are quickly laid out, hitting the ground below each with a thud and a shower of coins. Her thugs sprawled out in front of her, the woman with the cybernetic arm starts to look somewhat nervous. "Boss! This isn't going well!"

Meta's up!

25. - Top - End - #115

Meta darts towards Big Al once more, looking like he's going to go with a straight punch, he drops from his flight a short distance from Al, holding himself low to the ground before launching himself upwards with his wings in a powerful uppercut aimed straight at Al's jaw.

Spoiler
    Show
    Break the Unbreakable + Power attack + All out Attack(1d20+9)[17] DC27

After his uppercut he pulls himself backwards and situates himself where he was before his attack.
    The attempted return!

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Meta's blow connects with Big Al's chin with a loud crack that can be heard from outside the shop cutting off whatever the mobster was going to yell to his accomplice.

Big Al fails his toughness save by 2 degrees he gains 1 bruise and is dazed
    Megan's up!
    Last edited by Dodgeson; 2013-12-09 at 04:37 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

Noticing Big Al's moment of weakness, Megan bursts into action. In one jump, she is perched on the nearby showcase; the second sends her to tbe ceiling, and,with a push, she floes down, right at the gangster - but the first thing that connects to his head won't be her legs,iw would be her Buzzer, set on full-on stun mode.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Agile feint again, for 28 against Acrobatics, then Power Attack for +2 with the Buzzer. (1d20+8)[19], DC 23 Damage and 18 Affliction (vulnerable/stunned,Fortitude)

The next moment,of course, the acrobat herself lands on the gangster, immediately hugging his bull-size neck with her thighs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Extra effort for additional action, to use Grab on the Al. Using Dex, and in case of success, Megan isn't vulnerable. That'll be (1d20+5)[10] to hit, and (1d20)[8] opposed by Str or Dodge - unlikely to work, but I thought it would be fun to try.
    Last edited by jamieth; 2013-12-10 at 06:13 AM.

Extended signature

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

The mobster yells in pain as the Buzzer's charge runs through him though not enough to stop him shaking off the gymnast as she tries to wrap round him.

Big Al fails his toughness save by 1 degree he gains 1 bruise
    Out front the showgirl faces down Lena, hoping to remove the cold manipulator as she unleashes a hail of machine gun fire in her direction

Lena roll DC21 Toughness save
    Back inside as Big Al dislodges Megan from his back he roars angrily "I've had enough of you damn kids!" Bringing his fists smashing down on the ground with enough force to splinter the shop floor.

Megan & Meta roll DC19 Dodge Check then DC19 Toughness & DC14 Fortitude against Dazed/Vulnerable, Stunned/Prone if you succeed and DC25 Toughness & DC 19 Fortitude if you fail
    Lena's up!
    Last edited by Dodgeson; 2013-12-10 at 01:09 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119

The bullets speeding towards Lena thankfully slowed to a crawl as they were robbed of energy.

"No more of that..."

Figuring that the brute was simply to massive to try and freeze up at once, she attempted to lock down the cyber-moll.

Spoiler
    Show

DC 18 Fort check (Impaired and Vulnerable, Disabled and Defenseless, N/A)

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Al's Moll begins to slow down to a crawl as Lena brings her power to bare, becoming practically a statue in front of her.

Al's Moll fails her fortitude save by 2 degrees she is disabled and defenseless
    Platformer's up!