New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default [metamagic] things to do in a crowded room

Battle Blast [metamagic]
    Applied to area effect spells, this allows the caster to protect him and up to30HD of others from the effects of any area spell he casts when the centre of the area is the caster or one of his protected allies. A Battle Blast sepll takes up two spell levels higher than the actual spell

Improved Battle Blast [metamagic]
    prereq: Battle Blast, one other metamagic feat
    As Battle Blast but any number of creatures can be granted immunity and the centre of the area is unrestricted

Healing Battle Blast [metamagic]
    prereq: Improved Battle Blast Heal Rank 8
    And creature granted immunity is given 1/2 of the damage they would receive. A spell effected as such takes up a slot four levels higher than the actual spell.

Travel Casting [metamagic]
    This spell can be cast by running. It takes up a slot one level higher than usual.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: [metamagic] things to do in a crowded room

This does sound useful, but I'm not sure about giving arcane casters the ability to heal. Also i don't understand travel casting. Please elaborate.
    GENERATION 18. The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Project:

My Creations:

Check out Vote up a Power!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

like quickened spell but you must take a full-action run move to use it. well to be fair its not really giving them much chance to heal, it just boosts their summoned creatures a little bit. It would hardly replace a cleric

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

someone gets a rod of healing battle blast-
    casts meteor swarm on party / mobs with it.

24d6/2 hp healed to party members? average of 42 hp heal but its aoe to alot of people...

it's a neat idea, but it doesn't really fit the nature of arcane spells (that and it kinda steps in on wish, doing a divine spell mass cure x wounds)

yes, i know no1 would use wish for that :-)

5. - Top - End - #5

What if they only healed one point of damage per damage die of the spell? I think that would be much harder to abuse.
    GENERATION 18. The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Project:

My Creations:

Check out Vote up a Power!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jlousivy View Post
    someone gets a rod of healing battle blast-
    casts meteor swarm on party / mobs with it.

24d6/2 hp healed to party members? average of 42 hp heal but its aoe to alot of people...
    Except that these are metamagic feats and can't be put into wands or rods or scrolls. Last I checked there's no way to get a spell with metamagic applied into any of those items, either.

Battle Blast I like, if only you changed the HD limit to a stock number of creatures, maybe around four or five; or have an increase along with caster level with a cap on how many people can be protected from the spell. Not a big fan of Improved and Healing should be cut out entirely, IMHO. As for travel casting, that can be made as a normal feat, sort of a magical version of Shot on the Run.
    Water, Earth, Fire, and Air: Benders of the Avatar world
    Monks and Rangers for a non-magical world
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL View Post
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.
    Avatar By the amazing Mephibosheth

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Um, 8th, ever hear of metamagic rods?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, and about scrolls...
    Scrolls with Metamagic, anyone?
    It might only be for Epic Scrolls, but the same mechanic can be applied to normal ones, so...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

That was a nice shot of humility straight to the carotid. And no, I haven't put much emphasis on casters in general, usually preferring paladins and monks and DMing. Anyway, back to the new feats...
    Water, Earth, Fire, and Air: Benders of the Avatar world
    Monks and Rangers for a non-magical world
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL View Post
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.
    Avatar By the amazing Mephibosheth

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

This is kind of nitpicky, I admit, but I think it's icky how the first two Battle Blast feats don't scale with level; the first is 30 HD regardless of if you're level 1 or level 20, and the second is infinite.

I would make the first spell shield Caster Level x 4 Hit Dice; it would be equal to 30 around level caster level 7-8, and it'd be great for a smallish party or the melee component of a larger one. The way it's done as-is, it becomes almost insignificant at higher levels, pressuring people to get the second feat to make it useful.

Personally, I'd put a limit on the second feat's HD, making it more along the lines of caster level x 10 HD. That's not really much of an issue, though.