New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Hero Oh Hero (path to greater good reboot)

Templates... lots and lots of templates. I'm with ya so far. :D
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    hm, nice to see this going again.

I think I'll start reading this, read path to greater good, liked the characters, maybe its time for me to start reading the reboot.
    Make sure to let us know if you do give it a shot! It'd be nice to have one of my old readers back.

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    Templates... lots and lots of templates. I'm with ya so far. :D
    It's not just templates of course, most of the stuff I've made falls more along the lines of fully fledged assets that are built around being reusable but also
    to allow for relatively simple modification.

The fact that I use pixelart does help a lot with that though, as there's little post processing & you can easily tweak a fully fledged design without having to completely
    redo the drawing process. (I know for example that a lot of CG/Drawing styles don't really allow you to quickly modify one crate into another without having to essentially redraw a whole thing.)

I do know that keeping around a collection of stuff like crates, boxes, general debris & other fairly non-intrusive assets can help a lot with filling up scenery/areas though. That's one of my primary tactics with asset creation; generalized objects that don't need much modification to look good in various locations.

I'll probably post part 3 tomorrow though, too tired to make another huge post like that today.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

This is really interesting. I had never noticed how much smaller the bodies are in the new pixelart compared to the heads (which as you said haven't changed sizes much). What I like about your comic (shared by oots) is how the characters are fully on panel most of the time. I created a style that, well, doesn't combine well with that. The characters get cut off mid-thigh or higher (if they're short) and I think if I had created a test comic of 50-100 pages, I might have reworked the style to make it simpler and make characters fit in my panels. At this point though I think I'll go with what I have. Maybe after I create more pages (I mean, seriously, I don't even have 15 pages online yet) I'll get into a rhythm or figure out an art style change that makes sense without being too jarring.

Can't wait to see the third post. This is all super interesting. I remember your test-run comic, I really enjoyed it.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    Make sure to let us know if you do give it a shot! It'd be nice to have one of my old readers back.
    kay kay, been reading both Burk and Noah first arcs.

Burk is usual silly self, kay, and Noah....hm, no longer blonde but whatever.

Noah's place seems more modern than Burk's place. Tobi's place seems more advanced than Burk's, but maybe not Noah's.

which makes me wonder if they are heroes in different eras or heroes all in the same world but separated by vast distances in geography. which I don't think I ever got an answer on. I'm tempted to think that Burk is a folk hero in the past, Noah a hero in a relatively modern time slowly realizing his empire is evil or something and Tobi a hero in a post-apocalyptic wasteland in the far future, but something tells that might be wrong.

and unfortunately by now, I only vaguely remember the original Path To Greater Good. but I do think that the arcs have definitely expanded and changed in ways from way they were originally. and I'm still not sure how the three heroes are all connected, because they have to be connected to one another somehow right?

and I do like how each character seems to have their own mood and style of story to them: Burks is more a classic folk hero in the vein of foolish anime protagonist, at least thats I think of, Noah has this weird mystery thing going on with him regarding his magic, the elves, the empire, basically surrounded by intrigue.

while where I am at is Tobi is basically going on airship ride raid a dungeon for food and medicine. further evidence for post-apoc wasteland in my opinion: who else would need to go form adventuring parties for things so basic?......huh, they apparently consider dungeons to be a part of nature.

your comic is good, but it always leaves me with more questions than it answers.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Enjoying the comics. I was wondering what Sari said about attacking the eye means.

Also Driver ability isn't too shabby, but it dealt 0 damage, so that's disappointing.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    Enjoying the comics. I was wondering what Sari said about attacking the eye means.

Also Driver ability isn't too shabby, but it dealt 0 damage, so that's disappointing.
    It looks like the monsters are separated into several entities. Some look like mouths, some look like limbs and some (we saw them earlier) look like eyes. The enemies only take damage if you attack the eye ones, which is why the attack did 0 damage.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    It looks like the monsters are separated into several entities. Some look like mouths, some look like limbs and some (we saw them earlier) look like eyes. The enemies only take damage if you attack the eye ones, which is why the attack did 0 damage.
    Right, but they already killed the eye looking one.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Right, but they already killed the eye looking one.
    There is more than one. In one of the comics, there were 3 of them. I imagine each eye is "linked" to a set of the other body parts.

EDIT: Here is the page when we see 3 of the eyes (not sure if there are more than 3). I don't remember when they killed one of them though. Do you have a link?
    Last edited by Lissou; 2015-05-25 at 06:43 AM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Actual discussion on the giantitp forums .. it's been so long. It almost brings a tear to my eye.

Anyway as promised, the third installment of my retrospective!

THE GREAT PATH TO GREATER GOOD & HERO OH HERO STYLE CHANGE STORY

Part 3: Hero Oh Hero, chapter 1

So to avoid spoilers I'm obviously gonna leave out things I've learned/changed that haven't actually been shown yet, so I'll cut off this part of the retrospective at "the end" of chapter 3. (which you haven't reached yet, but there's not any major artistic changes/updates left, so that's fine.) Because this part of the narrative goes into the actual reboot I also plan to explain some of the thought process that went into the most notable changes within the narrative, rather than just art. I'll post about Burk's chapter for now, will do Noah and Tobi in the near future.

Burk chapter 1: The man who fell from the sky

Completely different opening story from aptGG's initial burk story arcs. The reason for this is simple: While I realised a reboot was necessary for me to still enjoy the comic, I've personally never quite enjoyed series that "reboot" into essentially an outright carbon copy of themselves. I decided that partly for myself, but also for old readers, a healthy dose of new content & recognisable content would keep the comic fresh despite being a reboot.

Some ways I've done this are actually by simply taking some content I simply hadn't gotten to in aptGG & changing the order at which information is given/shared. (A basic example is by having "the bandit" now be "The Aristocrat", it actually changes very little about his behavior, identity or my future plans for him ... it just gives reader a bit more information about him than aptGG did.); While simultaneously keeping his almost odd lack of specific identity.

Furthermore, compared to Tobi/Noah Burk's arc took a long time to build anything resembling an extended cast in aptGG, especially cause most early scenes/arcs up to the castle only really introduced 1 noteworthy character. The resthill arc introducing characters like the town guard, Daryll, the Hero etc were meant to help give burk's world more character beyond just the mainstay roles in it.
    A fun little fact you guys might not know though, large chunks of Resthill are actually based on my original Burk story. Burk's the oldest of my 3 protagonists as I initially had him (and Pablo) as the protagonists for a short story I wrote for English class. The story was about a heroic barbarian named Burk fighting mysterious bandits on monster boars & him confronting the town's protector about his unwillingness to face this threat himself.
    I thought that it'd be fun to take elements from my childhood story, especially because I wanted the reboot to get a "fresh" start rather than just being a rethread of the original comic's opening.
    Beyond that, working on TOM RPG also made me realise one thing ... it's fun to actually have a complete story arc/chapter for a character you can really show off. While I did enjoy aptGG's switch-a-roo format & do plan on returning to it, I realised I'd do my 3 protagonists a lot more justice if I allowed them to have a full fledged chapter of "100" (full) pages.

Art evolution throughout resthill

A few differences that stand out from TOM RPG immediately:

http://neorice.com/hoh_4

The forests/trees etc are a lot taller/less "cutesy" looking.

http://neorice.com/hoh_17

Interior scenes are sideview, which I realised made them both easier to work with AND better looking.

http://neorice.com/hoh_30

versus http://neorice.com/aptgg_292

While it might not be immediately noticable, the heads for characters are 3-4 pixels taller than tom rpg allowing for more unique faces & expressions. My pre-tom rpg test page where Burk poses in front of sheep should show just how much I ended up tweaking the style for the final product.

Now here's some things that changed during the Burk chapter:

http://neorice.com/hoh_146

http://neorice.com/hoh_168

1. "night" scenes and different scenes that use different light contrast just had a general darker layer before, as seen in the above two pages I actually started filtering characters seperately to make them feel sorta dull blue rather than just "darker", for example.

2. Doing interior scenes from a sideway perspective was something I had been doing for interiors already and ... I realised I [I]both/I] preferred the look & that it was actually a ridiculous time saver due to it removing some tedious elements like shadow color on the ground. The observant reader will notice that from the forest path to the hero & nearly every single comic after I've made every single background "sideview" & cutting out the faux perspective entirely.

3. As should be obvious, around the Hero fight my buffer got large enough to make doubling the page size a worthwhile investment. I actually think that with "Half pages", at 3x a week the comic's pacing is flawed.. but I couldn't afford a permanent switch until I got my speed up enough, which (probably with help from the sideway perspective switch) I finally started being capable of around this part.

Anyway, I think that's most of the obvious stuff I can remember about the Burk chapter. Thanks for commenting & posting btw. It makes me happy to hear people enjoy my work.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Yes I enjoy it but....

the questions! they are endless.

Why was Burk falling from the sky? Why do need a license to be a hero? was that maid a robot, and was it created in modern times or is it a recovered artifact? since its just a scam, what does the amulet REALLY point to? just what IS Noah? Is he an elf? a half-elf? what were those robotic soldier things? what was with the part where he met an elf in some weird different world? time travel? space travel? why are the elves and the empire opposing one another? are dungeons really a part of the landscape, or have they just been around so long that no one questions their presence? how does this all relate to one another? IS this all supposed to relate to one another? why DOES Nail cover himself up like that? and probably a lot more I've forgotten.

but I'm just going to assume that this is all the same world, and that this is all taking place at the same time. what do I know?

-Magic is possible.
    -steampunk tech is possible
    -being able to kick ass and be awesome without any magic at all is possible.
    -there are dungeons where you can put on classes to fight through things, but so far only shown in the desert with no indication of any place outside the desert having similar dungeons so far
    -there is a big conquering empire
    -you need a license to be a "hero". However the definition of "hero" in this world seems to be....kind of odd.
    -there is at least one part of the world where aristocracy still rules and bandits roam freely terrorizing villages, whether this holds true for the empire and the desert remains to be seen, but signs point to "no" because of their higher tech level
    -thus the most likely explanation is that this world, much like ours, has differing levels of technology for whatever part of the world you are in: Tobi's area probably has the most while Burk's area probably has the least, with Noah's area having near-Tobi levels of tech as well but only because of a strong centralized empire.
    -much of the magic we have seen cast in the comic is combat/blaster magic, but transformation magic (the pigs) divination magic (the amulet), and whatever Noah is, are in it to. magic seems to be rare in general and generally recognized as something only wielded by the powerful, interestingly enough, the dungeons are not considered to be magic.
    -but neither are the dungeons considered technological, dungeons in this comic are strange because there is no indication in any other part of the world that anything follows dungeon crawl rpg logic, so why is Tobi's part of the world be so used to it?
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

There is more than one. In one of the comics, there were 3 of them. I imagine each eye is "linked" to a set of the other body parts.

EDIT: Here is the page when we see 3 of the eyes (not sure if there are more than 3). I don't remember when they killed one of them though. Do you have a link?
    My bad. I thought they killed/damaged one, but it actually ran away.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Yes I enjoy it but....

Why was Burk falling from the sky? Why do need a license to be a hero? was that maid a robot, and was it created in modern times or is it a recovered artifact? since its just a scam, what does the amulet REALLY point to? just what IS Noah? Is he an elf? a half-elf? what were those robotic soldier things? what was with the part where he met an elf in some weird different world? time travel? space travel? why are the elves and the empire opposing one another? are dungeons really a part of the landscape, or have they just been around so long that no one questions their presence? how does this all relate to one another? IS this all supposed to relate to one another? why DOES Nail cover himself up like that? and probably a lot more I've forgotten.

but I'm just going to assume that this is all the same world, and that this is all taking place at the same time. what do I know?

-Magic is possible.
    -there are dungeons where you can put on classes to fight through things, but so far only shown in the desert with no indication of any place outside the desert having similar dungeons so far
    -you need a license to be a "hero". However the definition of "hero" in this world seems to be....kind of odd.
    -there is at least one part of the world where aristocracy still rules and bandits roam freely terrorizing villages, whether this holds true for the empire and the desert remains to be seen, but signs point to "no" because of their higher tech level
    -thus the most likely explanation is that this world, much like ours, has differing levels of technology for whatever part of the world you are in: Tobi's area probably has the most while Burk's area probably has the least, with Noah's area having near-Tobi levels of tech as well but only because of a strong centralized empire.
    -much of the magic we have seen cast in the comic is combat/blaster magic, but transformation magic (the pigs) divination magic (the amulet), and whatever Noah is, are in it to. magic seems to be rare in general and generally recognized as something only wielded by the powerful, interestingly enough, the dungeons are not considered to be magic.
    -but neither are the dungeons considered technological, dungeons in this comic are strange because there is no indication in any other part of the world that anything follows dungeon crawl rpg logic, so why is Tobi's part of the world be so used to it?
    Quoting this is easier than writing all those questions myself.

I think that Tobis home seems the most advanced and that they are so used to dungeons is related to each other. My theory is that they got most of their tech out of dungeons and since they seem to appear on a regular base they started to base their economy on them. I have no idea why the dungeons seem to prefer an arid area of the world. Maybe water kills them.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

That's a pretty cool dungeon Neorice.

I loved the reverse gravity monsters, and the pop the eye to kill it.
    So far enjoying it, but not much to comment.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Yes I enjoy it but....

-Magic is possible.
    Just wanted to say I liked this post. Always good to see that all the questions raised are generally questions I meant to raise.

That's a pretty cool dungeon Neorice.

I loved the reverse gravity monsters, and the pop the eye to kill it.
    So far enjoying it, but not much to comment.
    Thank you, D.

I've got some cool stuff coming up next week btw. Doing a bonus update for today + sunday cause I'd like a particular page to be the friday update.

... You'll see it friday. But yeah for those without an RSS feed, updated today & another one tomorrow. Enjoy.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Just wanted to say - that is one sweet looking boss.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Just wanted to say - that is one sweet looking boss.
    Thank you!

I did want the dungeon to build up to something visually impressive, so I put a bit more effort into that boss than usual.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I get the feeling Ciel isn't trying to be helpful to Noah. she seems to do her best to avoid giving (useful) answers to his questions. But on the other hand a spirit guide (or whatever she will turn out to be) has to get amusement from somewhere - annoying the guy you are supposed to help seems like a good way for that.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Ciel is pretty weird. She seems kinda annoyed to be guardian or whatever. Also she is champion of Passive Aggressive Combat.

However we did found out couple of things. Heroland has official Hero passes which is probably where Burk is at. Empire (not evil) has Noah undergoing secret military training, and probably the third country in which Tobi lives had some artifacts stolen.

According to Baku, they were important (and I believe him). So is there an evil mastermind, moving between the states? Will Burk finally make his team?

BTW what will Burk's team be? My guess - Noah, Tobi, Aristocrat (and someone else)?
    Last edited by -D-; 2015-08-26 at 08:36 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Maybe Sari and/or someone from Noah's chapter?

What makes me suspicious of Ciel is that she A) avoids giving (straight) answers to Noah's questions and B) that she keeps saying that she is what Noah wished for and is there to do what he desires. Combined with her devlish appearance it doesn't make her seem very trustworthy.
    Maybe she does all that to go on Noah's nerves, but a more sinister goal wouldn't surprise me.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

The latest update gave me the impression that she was part of Noah's abilities. Not really a person on her own, but a representation of his thoughts or something. If so, she couldn't give answers he doesn't already have.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The latest update gave me the impression that she was part of Noah's abilities. Not really a person on her own, but a representation of his thoughts or something. If so, she couldn't give answers he doesn't already have.
    That doesn't exclude the fact that she could be working against him in some way. And so far she has at least mislead Noah with her answers. Even more so if she really isn't a "living" being but a part of him.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

So Noah is an empath? Magical empath? One that can enter casters mind.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So Noah is an empath? Magical empath? One that can enter casters mind.
    He can literally enter minds. That could be incredible useful if he wants to escape a harmful situation, but it seems he can be harmed inside the mind as well. Now is the big question, what can he do in there? If he „only” can gather information that would make him a great spy/interrogator. If he can influence the mind or even harm the person it belongs to that would make him even more useful for the empire.

I think I might take back some things I said about Ciel. I still don't trust her but she is genuinely helpful right now.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

500 pages! Arbitrary round number celebration.

Hope you guys are still reading and enjoying.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

500 pages! Arbitrary round number celebration.

I know I am!

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Its well written. It got my interest, but I still don't see the large picture.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Latest page, didn't help :P

I'm now even more confused.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Latest page, didn't help :P

I'm now even more confused.
    Heheh sorry. :) I have a habit of throwing weirdness bombshells at my readers sometimes.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yep.

The Tobi pages are probably the strangest, because the very video-gamey nature of these dungeons cause one to question the nature of the world they live in. And here Tobi getting returned to the real world and noticing that her village doesn't exist make it seem like basically King Baku created a colony in a magical video game setting. The economy is sustained by the game creating/opening new dungeons that can be raided for loot. Tobi was born in it, so she never entered the Land of Beasts from the outside, which explains why the game found no entry data for her...
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Wonder if this is going where it seems to be going (Mage Baron being a cold bloody killer).