New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,478 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Erfworld Thread III: As the Erf Turns

I'm not sure why the hobgobwins defected to Charlescomm, rather than to FAQ. If that was the only option, somebody probably would have associated Charlie with natural ally weirdness before now - he uses this trick rarely, but he does use it enough that somebody would have noticed if natural allies suddenly appeared in Charlescomm livery. Whereas if the hobgobwins defected to FAQ, it still wouldn't be general knowledge that this was Charlie's trick and not Vanna's. Parson would figure it out, but I think Charlie could have maintained plausible deniability to the rest of the world. Seems like he unnecessarily tipped his hand here.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
    If that was the only option, somebody probably would have associated Charlie with natural ally weirdness before now
    To be fair, somebody has. The Great Minds that Think Alike specifically told Parson that influencing natural allies was one of the most important powers afforded to Charlie by the Arkendish.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
    I'm not sure why the hobgobwins defected to Charlescomm, rather than to FAQ. If that was the only option, somebody probably would have associated Charlie with natural ally weirdness before now - he uses this trick rarely, but he does use it enough that somebody would have noticed if natural allies suddenly appeared in Charlescomm livery. Whereas if the hobgobwins defected to FAQ, it still wouldn't be general knowledge that this was Charlie's trick and not Vanna's. Parson would figure it out, but I think Charlie could have maintained plausible deniability to the rest of the world. Seems like he unnecessarily tipped his hand here.
    Possible reasons:

1.) Jillian already has giants and that interferes with her getting hobgobwins (could be that you can only have one heavy capable natural ally, or hobgobwins and giants are mortal enemies fighting for control of mountain regions, etc.)

2.) Charlie can't get the hobgobwins to convert to FAQ in the timeframe/resources given. Jillian had previous contact with the giants when she and Charlie pulled the same trick on Jitterati; if Charlie pulled this fight off then said "Join FAQ, they'll totes build you up more powerful than Gobwin Knob will" that might have required additional effort since it's kind of obvious that FAQ isn't going to be able to build up the hobgobwin tribe the same way that Charlescomm can. Maybe he had to pre-load FAQ with cash before the giants would convert, or Jillian just saved up a bunch of Schmuckers before the giants converted, or Charlie was slowly paying them off over time before they converted to FAQ. Any of these options wouldn't be available and could require a more direct connection between Charlescomm and the hobgobwin tribe to make Vurp willing to turn.

3.) Charlie really wants hobgobwins. He already has gobwins, why not complete the set? More specifically he might want to capture some Gobwin Knob cities (the previous capital in particular) for his own nefarious purposes. He might not even realize that Spacerock is the capital of Gobwin Knob now, though that would be a pretty hard intelligence failure.

It's definitely an interesting question that I hope gets answered in the comic, but I don't think it's a plot hole.
    Last edited by Kornaki; 2014-10-01 at 03:38 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think it would be possible to make a contract for Charley or Vanna to make a contract in FAQ's name, since neither of them is a FAQ unit. Jillian could, but then she has to be included in the negations and the turnamancy spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Troll in the Playground

Forecastle update

Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone saw it coming, it happened, YET IM STILL SURPRISED.
    Despite everything, its still me.

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Ettin in the Playground

Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

7. - Top - End - #1477

Spoiler
    Show
    A clueless landlubber in charge. Yeah, that's Hellabad.

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Ogre in the Playground

New update!

Spoiler
    Show
    The definition of stupid: When Stanley the Tool plays mind tricks on you and has the wittier lines.

Aside that, I really enjoy Stanley. If I hadn't been a fan before, i would be now
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin