New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld Thread III: As the Erf Turns

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    It's amazing how after a mere three text updates, Lord Crush is well on his way to become one of my favourite characters of this whole setting. There's just something about how calm and thoughtful he stays, no matter what situation he finds himself in, be it being suddenly asked to turn by an erstwhile ally or exchanging banter with a court jester, that's utterly awesome. Also provides a nice contrast after Inner Peace, with Jillian as main point-of-view character, who is pretty much the exact opposite.
    Except in combat. Jillian has always been calm and calculating in a fight, while Crush hasn't actually had any combat scenes yet.

And for everyone that didn't see it yet, new update.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Orc in the Playground

It's amazing how after a mere three text updates, Lord Crush is well on his way to become one of my favourite characters of this whole setting. There's just something about how calm and thoughtful he stays, no matter what situation he finds himself in, be it being suddenly asked to turn by an erstwhile ally or exchanging banter with a court jester, that's utterly awesome. Also provides a nice contrast after Inner Peace, with Jillian as main point-of-view character, who is pretty much the exact opposite.
    Let's see how calm Crush remains when his mother dies and his side's cities burn. I imagine we will see a slightly less calm Crush if that occurs.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

So your say Crush might be crushed by his losses?
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

4. - Top - End - #214

I think he means it'll go more like "Crush CRUSH!"

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

The only member of Clan McClown... can I facepalm, while I smile?
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Dunkin raises an excellent point about how some people cannot be persuaded by silly things like facts and the absolute truth. That's definitely what this situation feels like.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

7. - Top - End - #217

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by EnragedFilia View Post
    Except in combat. Jillian has always been calm and calculating in a fight, while Crush hasn't actually had any combat scenes yet.

And for everyone that didn't see it yet, new update.
    Well Crush is still a Warlord, and evidently has some experience under his belt. Even if he's more of a thinker fighting is something that should be natural to him.

Anyway is Dunkin just a regular fool? Or a Foolamancer? I'm guessing the former, since the text would probably have explicitly said if he was a caster.

Also it's almost certain that we'll be seeing a Dunkin Donuts joke sometime in the near future.
    Last edited by CRtwenty; 2014-01-01 at 07:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempest Stormwind
    The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy
    Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

We already did with Duncan Scone, CWL of Faq, formerly a unit of Jitterati....
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

New one up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Scrofula makes Stanley look smart AND a good ruler.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Prediction:

Spoiler
    Show
    Scrofula will, of course, ignore the battle plan since neither Crush nor McClown made him think it was his idea.

Instead, Scrofula will off-handledly give it to Axe, like he did the Sudoku puzzle, and he will realize that it is a sound plan and implement it. Either by doing it himself or by regicide.

The way I see it, Duncan realized that everything was falling apart when Scrofula demanded to know who was giving him information. So he sacrificed himself to give the plan a fighting chance.

Plus he got to tell Scrofula just what he thought of him to his face. Bonus right there.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    Dunkin! NOOOOOO!

12. - Top - End - #222

See, what they did wrong is

Spoiler
    Show
    starting off with telling Scrofula why his current 'plan' of "trust Bullyclub not to destroy us" is suicidal, instead of starting with telling him how he can beat Billyclub their own game and end up looking like a genius. Hearing the first part made him inclined to not listen to the second part.

Oh well, this way Crush either gets to be a genius or gets to lose everything and teach us a lesson about how Erfworld has always worked until Parson showed up to break it. Either one is potentially important.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    That's the first time we've seen someone get disbanded, right?
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's the first time we've seen someone get disbanded, right?
    It's the first time we've had it described, but a gwiffon got disbanded back in Inner Peace.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    It's the first time we've had it described, but a gwiffon got disbanded back in Inner Peace.
    Right, alright, thought so. It was sad.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

16. - Top - End - #226
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Prediction:

Spoiler
    Show
    Scrofula will, of course, ignore the battle plan since neither Crush nor McClown made him think it was his idea.

Instead, Scrofula will off-handledly give it to Axe, like he did the Sudoku puzzle, and he will realize that it is a sound plan and implement it. Either by doing it himself or by regicide.

The way I see it, Duncan realized that everything was falling apart when Scrofula demanded to know who was giving him information. So he sacrificed himself to give the plan a fighting chance.

Plus he got to tell Scrofula just what he thought of him to his face. Bonus right there.
    Exept that Scrofula left the battleplan on the floor.
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Miklus View Post
    Exept that Scrofula left the battleplan on the floor.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Then he picks it up later. Or Axe picks it up. Plenty of ways for it to wind up in the hands of someone who can use it.

Bascially, I am saying that Dunkin mouthed off for a reason, and the reason I gave seems at least a little possible.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    While we have seen things get disbanded (the afforementioned gwiffon in innner peace), this is the first time we see anything that is arguably sentient get the treatment.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

I really despise stupid tyrants.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Spoiler
    Show
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Could it be that many Erfworld units lack a certain level of competence that Earth worlders do? We have selective requirements, and rigorous training programs for positions like intelligence analysis, ruler, or warlord. We have years, thousands upon thousands of turns worth of experience. Even more painful is most Erfworlders don't normally deal with people who are not fanatically loyal to their ruler.

Perchance they are not particularly well prepared for their role always?
    Last edited by Lamech; 2014-01-08 at 04:46 PM.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    Could it be that many Erfworld units lack a certain level of competence that Earth worlders do? We have selective requirements, and rigorous training programs for positions like intelligence analysis, ruler, or warlord. We have years, thousands upon thousands of turns worth of experience. Even more painful is most Erfworlders don't normally deal with people who are not fanatically loyal to their ruler.

Perchance they are not particularly well prepared for their role always?
    Nah, this is pretty much normal as far as hereditary monarchy goes. For thousands of years, vast portions of Earth have been regularly ruled by people who would make even Scrofula seem incredibly competent by comparison. I mean, he's making stupid decisions and executing underlings for dumb reasons, sure, but as far as a Caligula, Commodus or Caracalla goes, he still has far to go. Granted, most of those people met a violent end, but then, chances are that is going to be Scrofula's fate also, so... yeah, no, I'd actually argue that it is surprising that we have not yet seen an Erfworld ruler whose incompetence would rival that of the worse Earth examples. Perhaps a sign of how the incessant warfare of Erfworld weeds out the truly incompetent that much more quickly?
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

22. - Top - End - #232
    Bugbear in the Playground

Nah, this is pretty much normal as far as hereditary monarchy goes. For thousands of years, vast portions of Earth have been regularly ruled by people who would make even Scrofula seem incredibly competent by comparison. I mean, he's making stupid decisions and executing underlings for dumb reasons, sure, but as far as a Caligula, Commodus or Caracalla goes, he still has far to go. Granted, most of those people met a violent end, but then, chances are that is going to be Scrofula's fate also, so... yeah, no, I'd actually argue that it is surprising that we have not yet seen an Erfworld ruler whose incompetence would rival that of the worse Earth examples. Perhaps a sign of how the incessant warfare of Erfworld weeds out the truly incompetent that much more quickly?
    Truth is stranger than fiction. The incompetent are not even the worst. Some of these people was outright insane. Read about Mary I AKA "Bloody Mary" or Ivan the Terrible.
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.

23. - Top - End - #233

Mary I wasn't too bad, as monarchs go. True, she had a body count, but her father passed that number every year, her sister outdid her in the first six months, and her grandfather...

Let's just say the Tudors sucked in general.

Commodus was a decent emperor, especially when you look at those who followed (or even a few of his predecessors {Domitian, shudder}), but he had the misfortune to follow his father, who was possibly the best Rome ever had.

Actually, forget just monarchs. Erfworld rulers are pretty comparable to just about any ruler you care to name from Earth's history. Which is depressing.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

They didn't call him Ivan The Mildly Unpleasant.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

That was Iven actually. Iven, the Mildly Unpleasant, Harbinger of Annoyance, Lord of Minor Colds, and Patron of Unwanted House Guests.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Commodus was a decent emperor, especially when you look at those who followed (or even a few of his predecessors {Domitian, shudder}), but he had the misfortune to follow his father, who was possibly the best Rome ever had.
    This is not in accord with what information I have on the subject, neither with regards to Commodus (who, while yes, not quite as bad or sadistic as the other two I mentioned, and a fairly okay emperor in his early reign, at the end of it had descended into some fairly insane megalomania (renaming Rome to Colonia Commodiana, anyone?), had ruined the empire fiscally for the purposes of his overzealous crowd-pleasing, and had managed to alienate everyone sufficiently nonetheless to still end up assassinated) nor to Domitian (who, in turn, I've heard was a fairly decent and benign emperor, as long as you did not happen to be a member of the Senate), but that's neither the place to discuss it, nor does it ultimately matter much to the point at hand. Point is, given how blind, tyrannical, sadistic or outright insane a lot of the historic rulers have been, Erfworld is most definitely not getting a larger share of incompetency than Earth is, and I think a decent case could be made that it is actually getting less.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2014-01-09 at 01:54 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

This discussion brings up a question.

Okay there are Loyalty and Duty as stats, could a leader be incompetent enough that statistically the Duty stat would override the Loyalty stat and cause a Mutiny?

28. - Top - End - #238
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    This discussion brings up a question.

Okay there are Loyalty and Duty as stats, could a leader be incompetent enough that statistically the Duty stat would override the Loyalty stat and cause a Mutiny?
    That's exactly what is happening in Transylvito, apparently.

29. - Top - End - #239

The way I read the Transylvito situation, the king's abuse toward Vinny have systematically dropped his loyalty stat, and the entire question of Don's competence and possible mishandling of his side is secondary to that. After all, even if Don is dumping schmuckers by placing an unlimited level of (apparently) blind faith in Jillian, he does seem to have minimized Transylvito's own losses in the Gobwin Knob conflict, since the fighting has taken place mostly in Spacerock territory. Now depending on exactly how important production and production centers are relative to schmuckers (which I'm confident will never be fully explained for a number of reasons), that apparent tradeoff may or may not be beneficial in any strategic sense. But Vinny's personal gripes were depicted in some detail, while Transylvito's actual strategic situation as a result of King Don's leadership has been left much more vague. Thus, I can only conclude that Vinny's decision is based at least as much on his personal reasons as on any belief that mutiny is necessary for the side's survival.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

What I wonder is: everyone knows that duty compels units to act in the best interest of their side.
    SO, the minimal thing I expect from a ruler, is to question the apparent traitor, to know the reason behind the actions.
    Do I contradict myself?

Spoiler
    Show