New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld Thread III: As the Erf Turns

Does duty compel rulers to act in the best interests of their side (and what would that even mean at that point)? Perhaps there is a disconnect in how underlings and rulers see/experience the world because of a lack of Duty for rulers, which would explain a lot of the strife that we have seen.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Does duty compel rulers to act in the best interests of their side (and what would that even mean at that point)? Perhaps there is a disconnect in how underlings and rulers see/experience the world because of a lack of Duty for rulers, which would explain a lot of the strife that we have seen.
    I figure it's more like Duty is subjective to each person. Scrofula believes his plan is best for Squashcourt and so has no trouble going along with it. Dunkin believes Crush's viewpoint on such things and thus feels dutybound to help him plan a way out of it.

If I recall correctly, Parson couldn't order the casters to retreat from Gobwin Knob because he had the Uncroacked Volcano idea that he believed might just work, so duty to his side prevented him from ordering the retreat. If he didn't have that idea, I think he'd have been able to order it.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    I figure it's more like Duty is subjective to each person. Scrofula believes his plan is best for Squashcourt and so has no trouble going along with it. Dunkin believes Crush's viewpoint on such things and thus feels dutybound to help him plan a way out of it.
    Yes, but if there is literally zero magical compulsion making Scrofula pick certain actions (as opposed to other units who believe they can feel Duty making them do things), he might not be able to reconcile Dunkin's betrayal with the idea that this means that Scrofula might be doing something wrong. He might not understand what Duty really is on an instrinsic level, having never experienced it himself.

If I recall correctly, Parson couldn't order the casters to retreat from Gobwin Knob because he had the Uncroacked Volcano idea that he believed might just work, so duty to his side prevented him from ordering the retreat. If he didn't have that idea, I think he'd have been able to order it.
    Parson isn't a ruler so this doesn't help.

As an example in the summer updates we had the one ruler who walked into the portal to prevent Gobwin Knob from turning her units into decrypted. What does Duty have to say about that? That couldn't have been "best for the side" unless that phrase literally means 'whatever the ruler wants to happen', which is probably not true because then duty wouldn't let you override a ruler's orders.
    Last edited by Kornaki; 2014-01-09 at 11:37 AM.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

I'm guessing when a unit "betrays" the Ruler, it might be because its Duty compelled it to, or because its Loyalty was too low. In the former case, you would want to question the unit what it was thinking; in the latter, you would just want to execute the traitor as quickly as possible. Scrofula, naturally, chose to interpret Dunkin's actions as the latter rather than the former, simply because it suits him and his ego.

As an example in the summer updates we had the one ruler who walked into the portal to prevent Gobwin Knob from turning her units into decrypted. What does Duty have to say about that? That couldn't have been "best for the side" unless that phrase literally means 'whatever the ruler wants to happen',
    At least the initial explanation of Duty we get in Book 1 makes it sound like Duty isn't "best for the side", it's "best for the Ruler". And it affects commanders only, anyway, which may or may not include the Ruler.

which is probably not true because then duty wouldn't let you override a ruler's orders.
    That same Book 1 page makes it sound like it's Obedience that lets you do that, not Duty (then again, there are many ways how "act on own initiative" might be interpreted, so...).

Though I'm not sure if this is all fully in line with what we are told in Inner Peace. Don't have the time to go on a large-scale search through the Archives to check, though...
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2014-01-09 at 11:57 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm also remembering Stanley's order to Wanda early on.

"Pick the handsomest guy left and make him Chief Warlord."
    "No, Lord."
    "Are you refusing an order?"
    "I'm allowed. I'm convinced it will lead to your destruction."

Don't think Wanda was a commander, and it sounds like Duty was the chief reason.

Eh, I could be wrong.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Casters ae command level units. They rearly take the field (Wanda being an exception).
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Casters ae command level units. They rearly take the field (Wanda being an exception).
    I assume croakamancers are usually the exception, since they both give a bonus to uncroaked, and need to be on the front where the corpses are to use their discipline. And unlike the other unit-making caster types, croakamancy has few applications beyond creating units, so there's no advantage to holding them back.

(Whereas, say, Sizemore can create and lead units in theory, but he has many other uses, so there's less incentive to use him as a leader -- even if his personality was suitable for it.)

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

At least the initial explanation of Duty we get in Book 1 makes it sound like Duty isn't "best for the side", it's "best for the Ruler". And it affects commanders only, anyway, which may or may not include the Ruler.
    The thing about "best for the ruler" is that a poor enough ruler will inevitably do things that are not in their best personal interests, in that cause wouldn't it be "Dutiful" to remove said ruler from power, put them in a dungeon so they don't end up with their head on a spike?

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Probably not. IIRC, from inner peace Jillian couldn't face any bared doors of the city she controlled. Trying to confine a ruler to the dungeon would just end up with a lot of disbanded units. You could go on strike like the TV warlords and Ben. Or secretly destroy an "ally" who is anything but, alla Caesar (and Vinny maybe).

Now a caster has more options. Mind Control. Long term incapacitation. (Its mentioned in some bonus material.) Putting them in a bag of holding and rupturing it so nothing can ever harm them again as they are lost forever. (I have no idea if that's remotely possible.) A caster probably could do something like the imprison for your own good.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    I forgot the difference between Obedience and Duty. So if Dunkin isn't a command level unit he has no Duty, and therefore is simply capable of conspiring against the ruler as long as he is not disobeying an order.

Also, from the erfwiki I just found,

Rulers may be affected by some form of Duty that makes them pop or designate heirs, an action that is good for their side but has no advantages for them (and can even be a dangerous option in some cases).
    So it seems like I'm not the first person to speculate on what kind of Natural Thinkamancy a ruler may experience.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Barbarian in the Playground

Being a Fool, Dunkin may have had an additional Duty to Comedy (capitalizations intentional) which specifically allowed him to do whatever he wants as long as it would be funny enough!

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

We also know that one of the great minds is part of an oligarchy that directs a side, the ruler, for some reason is permanently incapacitated. The text also hints unlike the others he's still acting in his sides interests. There must be wiggle room for a commander to act for the side over the ruler, or coups wouldn't be the risk we see they are.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    The thing about "best for the ruler" is that a poor enough ruler will inevitably do things that are not in their best personal interests, in that cause wouldn't it be "Dutiful" to remove said ruler from power, put them in a dungeon so they don't end up with their head on a spike?
    It seems very likely. Maggie was able to mind-control Stanley when she was certain he was making the wrong choice; if she was certain that he would inevitably do something self-destructive the moment she released him from her control, it follows that she could control or imprison him indefinitely.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Olive Branch was able to puppet rule for some time despite poisoning her ruler and everyone who was a threat to her and her philosophy.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    Olive Branch was able to puppet rule for some time despite poisoning her ruler and everyone who was a threat to her and her philosophy.
    Something tells me her Loyalty score was bottom-of-the-barrel. Her Int score (whatever that means in Erfworld context), on the other hand, was high enough to a) hide this fact and b) hatch the "poison-and-replace" plan in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Bottom of the barrel? I think she hit the bottom and decided to start digging. She probably hade a negative loyalty score.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Bottom of the barrel? I think she hit the bottom and decided to start digging. She probably had a negative loyalty score.
    That was my thought as well, but game systems tend to ignore negative numbers except where specified.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    That was my thought as well, but game systems tend to ignore negative numbers except where specified.
    I wonder if the Arkendish can turn a unit's loyalty negative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    I wonder if the Arkendish can turn a unit's loyalty negative.
    That's... a disturbing thought. Actually, given how the Archons feel about him, I wouldn't be surprised if one of its secondary powers is "mess with Loyalty." Which makes Maggie's line about "[Charlie] had the world by its G-Strings" really, really creepy in retrospect.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

And we have the next update.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Closed Account

Seems like an appropriate end for this miniseries. Unsurprisingly, no ones like Jillian.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Spoiler: Lord Crush Update 5
    Show
    Good to see that the titular warlord survived the war, though I was hoping for Scrofula to croak. That king is a worse millstone than Slately or Stanley ever was.

And now we have info on where this takes place in the timeline: post the fall of FAQ (thanks to the publishing of Banhammer's "Principles of Peace"), but prior to the Battle of Gobwin Knob (Jillian is a Barbarian, but not affiliated with the Royal Crown Coalition).

Interesting read, nice to see a campaign play out without significant use of magic or casters. I look forward to the next update.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Called it.

Well, partially. Figured that Prince Axe would get a hold of the plan and do something with it. Whiffed on him figuring out on his own that it was a good plan and that he might kill his king.

Though beating him to a bloody pulp is pretty close.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    Spoiler: Lord Crush Update 5
    Show
    Good to see that the titular warlord survived the war, though I was hoping for Scrofula to croak. That king is a worse millstone than Slately or Stanley ever was.

And now we have info on where this takes place in the timeline: post the fall of FAQ (thanks to the publishing of Banhammer's "Principles of Peace"), but prior to the Battle of Gobwin Knob (Jillian is a Barbarian, but not affiliated with the Royal Crown Coalition).

Interesting read, nice to see a campaign play out without significant use of magic or casters. I look forward to the next update.
    Maybe the RCC built itself on the model of the So-be-it union?
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Certainly not, the RCC is a loose coalition of independent nations while the so be it union actually had rules beyond "You must be THIS Royal to hate Gobwin Knob" anyhow
    Spoiler
    Show
    That book is probably the biggest gun on the mantelpiece we've seen in this series...
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #266

Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnir View Post
    Certainly not, the RCC is a loose coalition of independent nations while the so be it union actually had rules beyond "You must be THIS Royal to hate Gobwin Knob" anyhow
    Spoiler
    Show
    That book is probably the biggest gun on the mantelpiece we've seen in this series...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not quite the biggest (dibs on his dice!), but it's probably the most obvious for now.

27. - Top - End - #267

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Called it.

Well, partially. Figured that Prince Axe would get a hold of the plan and do something with it. Whiffed on him figuring out on his own that it was a good plan and that he might kill his king.

Though beating him to a bloody pulp is pretty close.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I loved the exchange between Axe and Crush in the dungeon. It also surprised me a bit to find out that Crush was actually a royal. I guess it makes sense since his ruler's a queen, but still.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempest Stormwind
    The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy
    Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    I think it's interesting being a Royal means nothing to him. In fact dislikes it.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I wonder what the necessary Duty/Loyalty ratio is to allow a Chief Warlord to beat the crap out of his own Ruler for the good of the side?

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I wonder what the necessary Duty/Loyalty ratio is to allow a Chief Warlord to beat the crap out of his own Ruler for the good of the side?
    I suspect it doesn't require particularly low of either stat. As long as you don't croak the guy, he'll be right as rain come next turn.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.