New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [PrC] Blademistress of Karan [TCS]

HD: d8

Class Skills (4 + Int): Concentration, Heal, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Religion), Knowledge (History), Spellcraft, Spot

==Requirements==
    BAB: +5

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Spells: Ability to cast 3st level divine spells

Feats: Combat Casting

Special: Must be female

==Progression==
    {table=head]Level | BAB | Fort Save | Ref Save | Will Save | Special | Spellcasting
    1st | +1 | +2 | +0 | +2 | Forceknife, Barrier, Smite Evil | -
    2nd | +2 | +3 | +0 | +3 | - | +1 level of existing divine casting class
    3rd | +3 | +3 | +1 | +3 | Smiting Spell | -
    4th | +4 | +4 | +1 | +4 | - | +1 level of existing divine casting class
    5th | +5 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Sparking Smite | -
    6th | +6 | +5 | +2 | +5 | - | +1 level of existing divine casting class
    7th | +7 | +5 | +2 | +5 | Shining Vigor | -
    8th | +8 | +6 | +2 | +6 | - | +1 level of existing divine casting class
    9th | +9 | +6 | +3 | +6 | Cascade | -
    10th | +10 | +7 | +3 | +7 | Karan's Blessing of Transcendence | +1 level of existing divine casting class[/table]

Spells: At the indicated levels, levels of blademistress stack with divine casting class levels for the purposes of determining spells per day.

Smite Evil: A blademistress can Smite Evil as a paladin, up to a number of times per day equal to one-half her class level.

Forceknife: As a move action, a blademistress can create a semisolid blade composed of pure force. The blade is identical in all ways (except visually) to a long sword of a size appropriate for its wielder. The wielder of a forceknife gains the usual benefits to her attack roll and damage roll from a high Strength bonus.

The blade can be broken (it has hardness 10 and 10 hit points); however, a blademistress can simply create another on her next move action. The moment she relinquishes her grip on her blade, it dissipates. A forceknife is considered a magic weapon for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

A blademistress’ forceknife improves as the character gains higher levels, gaining an equivalent +1 bonus at each other level. These +1 bonuses can be as regular enhancements or as other equivalent forms of magical enhancement. For instance, a third-level blademistress can have a flaming forceknife +2, a forceknife +3, or a shocking burst forceknife +1, as long as the total bonus of the forceknife does not exceed the blademistress' class level.

Even in places where magic effects do not normally function (such as within an antimagic field), a blademistress can attempt to sustain her forceknife by making a DC 20 Will save. On a successful save, the blademistress maintains her forceknife for a number of rounds equal to her class level before she needs to check again. On an unsuccessful attempt, the forceknife vanishes. As a move action on her turn, the blademistress can attempt a new Will save to rematerialize her forceknife while she remains within the magic negating effect.

A blademistress can change the enchantments on her forceknife by meditating for four hours. Interrupting the process will cause the forceknife to revert to its preexisting state.

Barrier: As a move action, a blademistress can create a semisolid shield composed of pure force. The blade is identical in all ways (except visually) to a heavy shield of a size appropriate for its wielder.

The shield can be broken (it has hardness 10 and 15 hit points); however, a blademistress can simply create another on her next move action. The moment she relinquishes her grip on her shield, it dissipates.

A blademistress’ barrier improves as the character gains higher levels, gaining an equivalent +1 bonus at each other level. These +1 bonuses can be as regular enhancements or as other equivalent forms of magical enhancement. For instance, a third-level blademistress can have a bashing barrier +2, a barrier +3, or a barrier of arrow deflection +1, as long as the total bonus of the barrier does not exceed the blademistress' class level.

Even in places where magic effects do not normally function (such as within an antimagic field), a blademistress can attempt to sustain her barrier by making a DC 20 Will save. On a successful save, the blademistress maintains her barrier for a number of rounds equal to her class level before she needs to check again. On an unsuccessful attempt, the barrier vanishes. As a move action on her turn, the blademistress can attempt a new Will save to rematerialize her barrier while she remains within the magic negating effect.

A blademistress can change the enchantments on her barrier by meditating for four hours. Interrupting the process will cause the barrier to revert to its preexisting state.

Smiting Spell: At 3rd level, the blademistress gains the Smiting Spell metamagic feat.

Sparking Smite: Starting at 5th level, a blademistress adds her class level in electrical damage to all smite attacks.

Shining Vigor: Starting at 7th level, once per day, as a swift action, a Blademistress can call upon the strength and favor of her deity and gain a +6 insight bonus to each of her statistics for a number of rounds equal to her improved Charisma modifier. At the end of the duration, the Blademistress becomes exhausted.

Cascade: At 9th level, a blademistress can use a smite attack to perform a series of attacks against a single target. As a standard action and by spending a smite attempt, the blademistress can perform a series of blows against her target. The first attack is at the blademistress' base attack bonus. If it connects, she makes another attack at -3. If the second attack connects, she makes a third attack at -6, repeating the series until she misses.

Karan's Blessing of Transcendence: At 10th level, a blademistress becomes a full agent of her deity. She becomes an Outsider with the (Native), (Good), and (Chaotic) subtypes. She gains spell resistance 20, and a permanent +1 increase to all her ability scores. She no longer needs to breathe, eat, or sleep. She gains DR 10/good or chaotic. And finally, her forceknife is always considered a holy and anarchic weapon while attacking.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2007-01-11 at 10:02 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: [PrC] Blademistress of Karan [TCS]

Hm. The paladin spell requirement doesn't really make sense to me, considering the alignment requirement, and the forceknife should probably be a greatsword rather than a longsword.

You also forgot to include a Vitality Die and Class Skills.

Hmm... change the paladin references to cleric references, and I think we're good there. Hmm... It'll likely come at the expense of spellcasting, but do you think you could work in some dervish-like abilities, considering that Karan is the Goddess of dancing?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I was trying to make this into a paladin PrC, but it'd probably work better as a cleric one.

As for HD and skills, I'm just an airhead. Give me a minute.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, try that. I left it a longsword since I wanted it to be a sword-and-board sort of thing, and Cascade should be sufficiently Dervish for you. I'm kinda tapped out on other ideas for this one, so if you've got an idea, let me know.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Well, considering that Karan's favored weapon is the greatsword...

Once I get back to college and to my copy of Complete Warrior, I'll be able to suggest some other dervish-like abilities. And I might take this and do my own version of it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Maybe the Forceknife could get enhancement bonuses every _other_ level? Every level is...ouch. +10 hurts. Especially with a full BAB. (On that note, yeah...Full BAB. Two good saves. Spells. AND class features. Overpowered?)
    Work in progress.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Purely nitpicking, perhaps you should clarify that normal non-epic weapon enhancement rules apply - for instance, a Cleric 8 / Blademistriss 10 cannot have a +10 longsword as a forceblade (should instead have something like a +5 vorpal longsword).

If that makes any sense - I can't put the words together today.
    Mandible Bones, the Worst Pirate Ever.
    I prepared explosive rum this morning.
    Homebrew 3.5 base class: The Iron Chef

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Well, here's my version. Thanks to Fax for kickstarting my brain.

Blademaster of Karan

VD: d8

Class Skills (4 + Int): Concentration, Heal, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Religion), Knowledge (History), Perform (dance), Spellcraft, Spot, Tumble

REQUIREMENTS
    BAB: +4
    Alignment: Chaotic Good
    Skills: Knowledge (religion) 9 ranks, Perform (dance) 4 ranks, Tumble 4 ranks
    Spells: Ability to cast 3rd level divine spells
    Feats: Dodge, Mobility
    Special: Must be a worshipper of Karan.

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spells
    1st|+1|+2|+0|+2|Dance of death 1/day, forceknife|~
    2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3|Smite evil 1/day|+1 level of spellcasting class
    3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3|Dance of death 2/day, smiting spell|+1 level of spellcasting class
    4th|+4|+4|+1|+4|~|~
    5th|+5|+4|+1|+4|Dance of death 3/day, dance of the storm|+1 level of spellcasting class
    6th|+6|+5|+2|+5|Smite evil 2/day|+1 level of spellcasting class
    7th|+7|+5|+2|+5|Dance of death 4/day|~
    8th|+8|+6|+2|+6|~|+1 level of spellcasting class
    9th|+9|+6|+3|+6|Dance of death 5/day|+1 level of spellcasting class
    10th|+10|+7|+3|+7|Smite evil 3/day, whirlwind strike|~[/table]

Spells: At the indicated levels, levels of blademistress stack with divine casting class levels for the purposes of determining spells per day.
    Dance of Death (Ex): A blademistress can make a full attack with her forceknife and still move up to her movement. She must move at least 5 feet between each attack, though she cannot move back to a square she just left. She gains a bonus to attack and damage rolls, and a dodge bonus to AC, equal to half her blademistress level. The dance of death lasts 1 round for every 2 ranks she possesses in Perform (dance). She is still subject to attacks of opportunity while moving, but she can use the Tumble skill to avoid them. The dance of death only works if the blademistress is wearing armor no heavier than light, and the effects of the dance of death do not stack with those of rage or frenzy. After the dance of death ends, the blademistress becomes fatigued for the duration of the encounter.
    Smite Evil (Su): A blademistress can Smite Evil as a paladin, up to a number of times per day as indicated on the table.
    Forceknife (Su): As a move action, a blademistress can create a semisolid blade composed of pure force. The blade is identical in all ways (except visually) to a greatsword of a size appropriate for its wielder. The wielder of a forceknife gains the usual benefits to her attack roll and damage roll from a high Strength bonus.

The blade can be broken (it has hardness 10 and 10 hit points); however, a blademistress can simply create another on her next move action. The moment she relinquishes her grip on her blade, it dissipates. A forceknife is considered a magic weapon for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

A blademistress’ forceknife improves as the character gains higher levels, gaining an equivalent +1 bonus at each level. These +1 bonuses can be as regular enhancements or as other equivalent forms of magical enhancement. For instance, a third-level blademistress can have a flaming forceknife +2, a forceknife +3, or a shocking burst forceknife +1, as long as the total bonus of the forceknife does not exceed the blademistress' class level.

Even in places where magic effects do not normally function (such as within an antimagic field), a blademistress can attempt to sustain her forceknife by making a DC 20 Will save. On a successful save, the blademistress maintains her forceknife for a number of rounds equal to her class level before she needs to check again. On an unsuccessful attempt, the forceknife vanishes. As a move action on her turn, the blademistress can attempt a new Will save to rematerialize her forceknife while she remains within the magic negating effect.

A blademistress can change the enchantments on her forceknife by meditating for four hours. Interrupting the process will cause the forceknife to revert to its preexisting state.
    Smiting Spell: At 3rd level, the blademistress gains the Smiting Spell metamagic feat.
    Dance of the Storm (Su): Starting at 5th level, a blademistress adds her class level in electrical damage to all attacks made while in a dance of death.
    Whirlwind Strike (Ex): At 10th level, the blademistress gains the ability to make a full attack against every target she threatens while using the dance of death. She cannot move between attacks while using this ability, and she can only use this ability once per dance of death. At the end of a dance of death in which she uses this ability, the blademistress becomes exhausted rather than fatigued.
    Last edited by Lord Iames Osari; 2007-01-11 at 09:24 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Now give me another.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

The first BMoK should have DR/Evil or Law not Godd or Chaos. You get Dr of the alignment oposite of your self

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Hmm. Something undeath related, for Moraan? We can't let the good guys have all the PrCs.

Or it doesn't even have to be deity-related. Um. One of the countries, I've decided, uses the razored shield as their national weapon. Their nation is also very open, lots of plains, so they have a lot of cavalry. Perhaps you could work your mind around a shield-wielding, horse-riding elite warrior PrC?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

What's the name of the country?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

The name of the country is the Duchy of Mehrune.

Also, what is XtheYeti talking about? I can't figure it out.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

MY BMoK should have DR/evil or law, not DR/good and chaotic.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Oh, right.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Yeah, definitely overpowered much. Full BAB, two good saves, plenty of spellcasting levels, and Forceknife and Barrier are way uber.
    Work in progress.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Which version? Mine, or Fax's?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatum479 View Post
    Yeah, definitely overpowered much. Full BAB, two good saves, plenty of spellcasting levels, and Forceknife and Barrier are way uber.
    Considering Forceknife was basically lifted verbatim from the Soulknife, what's the issue? Okay, sure. +10 weaponry. Woohoo. Soulknife gets it too.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Uh, no? Soulknife gets +5 in 20 levels, not +10 in 10.. And that's just a blade, not a blade AND a shield.

Fax's. Yours removes Barrier, which was a major balance issue. I still think your Forceknife should be +5, but, meh.
    Work in progress.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ulti and I have been discussing this. Apparently SoulKnives are overpowered as well. He worries about 9 ranged Int damage a turn to wizards.
    Anyway, it does bother me too, but I don't use psionics in my campaigns, so I can't speak from experience. However, the Keen Anarchic Holy Vorpal Greatsword at level 10 isn't too appetizing to me.
    Water, Earth, Fire, and Air: Benders of the Avatar world
    Monks and Rangers for a non-magical world
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL View Post
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.
    Avatar By the amazing Mephibosheth

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

What if I pared the forceknife and the barrier down to 1/2CL (which would max out at +5)? The main problem I'm having is that the Soulknife is an interesting class that sucks otherwise.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eighth_Seraph View Post
    Ulti and I have been discussing this. Apparently SoulKnives are overpowered as well. He worries about 9 ranged Int damage a turn to wizards.
    Anyway, it does bother me too, but I don't use psionics in my campaigns, so I can't speak from experience. However, the Keen Anarchic Holy Vorpal Greatsword at level 10 isn't too appetizing to me.
    Two words: mind blank.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

I hardly think the Soulknife sucks, what with Knife to the Soul, but whatever.

+5 each would be good, I guess. If you really want it to be +10 each, I think that'd work if you lower a save and drop 'em to 3/4 BAB. Mechanical class balancing isn't my specialty, but I do know that a +10 sword and +10 shield is overpowered. It's not exactly difficult to make the sword two-handed, too, what with Animated being only a +2 shield bonus.
    Work in progress.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Knife to the Soul is entirely destroyed by being immune to mind-affecting effects, which means that many monsters by that point are immune, and any caster worth their salt will have a Mind Blank running.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Aaaaaaaaaaand fixededed. Take a look at mine now.