New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: Iskandar's Travels in XCom: Enemy Within

Neon Knight, IF you got to carry over more skills, if MEC Troopers weren't the best thing on the front line, and if the liable penalty for range that could be reduced by closing wasn't greater than the bonus you get from the sniper-mec skill when standing still, yeah it'd be nice. But your giving up a lot of good options for the worst base option of the MEC's, one that takes a lot of work to make profitable.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by jindra34 View Post
    Neon Knight, IF you got to carry over more skills, if MEC Troopers weren't the best thing on the front line, and if the liable penalty for range that could be reduced by closing wasn't greater than the bonus you get from the sniper-mec skill when standing still, yeah it'd be nice. But your giving up a lot of good options for the worst base option of the MEC's, one that takes a lot of work to make profitable.
    One advantage is that you need fewer Snipers. You rarely bring more than one sniper, and they rarely get injured, so two snipers is really all you'll have use for. If you've got a third leveled-up sniper lying around, it may be better to MEC them rather than an Assault, Heavy, or Support, all of which you'll want multiple backups of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Hm... yeah, if you turn a high-ranking Sniper into a MEC they'll have great Aim, and you don't need that many Snipers (I prefer to run with two once I get bigger squads, but that's my way), but all the other classes have better MEC abilities.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

4. - Top - End - #214
    Dwarf in the Playground

Perhaps a good way to think of it is that the Sniper's high aim is his MEC ability. A max level Sniper has 15 more aim than the next highest class, which is pretty nice when you're rocking the highest base damage weapon you can have.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah, at max level, and standing still, Killian should have 110 aim or so. 70% or so to hit despite high cover, in other words. And even if he misses, there goes the cover and he can try again at 110% chance to hit.

Nasty enough, I think.
    My youtube channel, featuring LPs of Minecraft and various other indie games: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa98B36NhE0lWNEn3lGc86Q

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iskandar View Post
    Yeah, at max level, and standing still, Killian should have 110 aim or so. 70% or so to hit despite high cover, in other words. And even if he misses, there goes the cover and he can try again at 110% chance to hit.

Nasty enough, I think.
    I'm pretty sure once you turn them into a MEC, they follow MEC stat progression. Unless you already took that into account and Sniper max aim is 120?
    My Steam profile

7. - Top - End - #217

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    I'm pretty sure once you turn them into a MEC, they follow MEC stat progression. Unless you already took that into account and Sniper max aim is 120?
    Killian's current aim is 97, or 107 when standing still. He still has a rank up coming, so 110 ish isn't unreasonable.
    My youtube channel, featuring LPs of Minecraft and various other indie games: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa98B36NhE0lWNEn3lGc86Q

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Oh. When standing still. On the guy who can't take cover and has no squadsight. I suppose you could try to play this like WoW and pull mobs, but they're generally smart enough to stay in cover and not get hit by overwatch. Except for the melee aliens who don't use cover anyway.
    My Steam profile

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Oh. When standing still. On the guy who can't take cover and has no squadsight. I suppose you could try to play this like WoW and pull mobs, but they're generally smart enough to stay in cover and not get hit by overwatch. Except for the melee aliens who don't use cover anyway.
    That high-aim still helps even without the standing still, and extended (more than one-turn) firefights DO happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

10. - Top - End - #220

Eh, 97 even when moving isn't anything to sneeze at. And I think he has the medal which gives him +1 aim per each mission where everyone comes back alive, maxing out at +10. I think he has already gotten a few points for that, so realistically, with next rank up, he could hit 105 aim, even when moving.

Yeah, maybe I didn't make the most optimal choice, but I stand by it. We needed a MEC trooper, I certainly wasn't MECing Crossblade, and Killian was the first to hit Major. I do plan on making a Heavy into a MEC, and probably a Support (I only have like 3 or 4 at this point).

Wait for the next two videos before judging me. One of those missions was heavy on thin men, and MECs do wonderful, nasty things to thin men.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Well I guess I qualify. Just make sure I carry a flamethrower so I don't have to get too far from common troops.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Okay, THAT was totally badass! I'm sold.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Do note that Crossblade got a promotion at the end of that last mission, so he's now on the same rank as Killian, however... MEK troops are inherently badass.

I know at least one rookie got a promotion to assault that hasn't been renamed yet, though. I figure you can get around to it when you get back to base.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

14. - Top - End - #224

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Do note that Crossblade got a promotion at the end of that last mission, so he's now on the same rank as Killian, however... MEK troops are inherently badass.

I know at least one rookie got a promotion to assault that hasn't been renamed yet, though. I figure you can get around to it when you get back to base.
    Isaac Newton? He is named, check the first page. Speaking of which, I need to update things. Also, Crossblade is still a Captain, Killian is a Major.

I just realized exactly how silly Killian is going to get. He has the Urban Combat medal. You know, the +5 aim against targets in full cover? And the Council medal that is still giving him points in aim. He currently has 98 aim, the Council medal will almost certainly push that to 105, and the level up should hit 110. Standing still, that becomes 120.

Full cover would only drop that to 85% chance to hit.

Oh, and he gets two shots if he doesn't move.

And he is getting 2 extra damage to autopsied aliens.

That is 22 damage a turn, and that DOES NOT count crits.

That is just... terrifying.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

I just realized exactly how silly Killian is going to get. He has the Urban Combat medal. You know, the +5 aim against targets in full cover? And the Council medal that is still giving him points in aim. He currently has 98 aim, the Council medal will almost certainly push that to 105, and the level up should hit 110. Standing still, that becomes 120.

Full cover would only drop that to 85% chance to hit.

Oh, and he gets two shots if he doesn't move.

And he is getting 2 extra damage to autopsied aliens.

That is 22 damage a turn, and that DOES NOT count crits.

And this is just for the first tier of MEC's, I have a feeling there's going to be several more tiers which will be unlocked later that might push that even higher...

Makes me wonder what you will be running into that will require that much output. I mean, that even one-round kills Sectopods.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

17. - Top - End - #227
    Barbarian in the Playground

Not any more. Enemy Within gave Sectopods a pretty substantial buff.
    Last edited by Hyozo; 2013-12-04 at 12:31 AM.
    Avatar by Vulion. Vectored by me.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

But at what cost?
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    But at what cost?
    At the cost of my eternal soul, obviously!

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    At the cost of my eternal soul, obviously!
    And 66% of your body by mass.

21. - Top - End - #231

Ok, second part of episode 9 is uploading, will be up within the hour. More Slingshot DLC missions.

First page updated. All rookies have been processed, will hire a few new in a bit and assess my needs.

Things are going well. A lot less panic, or at least a lot more manageable. That Terror mission, oddly enough, landed exactly where I needed it to calm down Asia. Still cash poor, though that might resolve itself this month. Soon, it will be capturing aliens time!

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Right thin men are a worse threat than multiple Muton's spawning in flanking positions...

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

http://www.deviantart.com/art/I-neve...-for-414638798
    A Comic for Kilian.
    I wonder if we can ask Iskandar to get custom hairstyles.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

24. - Top - End - #234

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    http://www.deviantart.com/art/I-neve...-for-414638798
    A Comic for Kilian.
    I wonder if we can ask Iskandar to get custom hairstyles.
    In general, no. My memory is poor, and I don't want to forget something. Easier to stick to one unified look. Crossblade is the exception, and actually he isn't the big star this game as he was last time. He is coming off second best versus Kiillian. Mind, those two have more kills than the entire rest of the squad put together. Not that I'm TRYING to do that, mind, but that is what is happening.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

They're in the alien killing business, and business is good.

Crossblade would have more kills except he keeps getting laid up in the hospital. That said, either the game is much easier this time around, or you're better than you were last time.

You may have answered this one already, but what do you use to record games? Fraps is junk unless you buy it, which entirely negates the purpose of a trial version. Bandicam only seems to record Minecraft. And I've not figured out how to get Dxtory to work at all.
    Last edited by Triaxx; 2013-12-04 at 11:51 PM.

26. - Top - End - #236

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    They're in the alien killing business, and business is good.

Crossblade would have more kills except he keeps getting laid up in the hospital. That said, either the game is much easier this time around, or you're better than you were last time.

You may have answered this one already, but what do you use to record games? Fraps is junk unless you buy it, which entirely negates the purpose of a trial version. Bandicam only seems to record Minecraft. And I've not figured out how to get Dxtory to work at all.
    FRAPS, paid version. Worth it, IMHO. Maybe not the best out there, but it is very simple to set up and use, and the quality is more than enough for Youtube.

I use the standard Windows Movie Maker to put the videos together. Doesn't allow much in the way of fancy editing tricks, but, again, good enough for what I use it for.

As far as hardware, I've recently gone to recording while wearing headphones and using an actual good quality microphone. Compare the audio on my old videos with what I have now in this new XCom series, and it really stands out, I think.

I need to get a stand for my mic. As it stands, I have to put something soft under it or it picks up my keyboard and mouse clicks too well.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

Well, you see, the aliens learned from the first go-round. They know they stand no chance against Crossblade, so they've resported to getting him stuck in medbay for as much as they possibly can...

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

28. - Top - End - #238

Sigh, hired new soldiers. Got three women. Out of female names.

smuchmuch, Doc Kraken, Schneekry, Surrealistik, Eldan if y'all want to come up with another name for me, I need two more. First come first serve. Anyone else, if you want to come up with alternate names for when I get to you, that would be helpful.

Next two episodes recorded. That last Slingshot mission? Well, let's just say I was left with 5 effective combat soldiers after.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Y'know, I was gonna suggest green for the MECs. It would be a good contrast versus the other colors you are using. Maybe a darker green, like the color a tank might be?

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Nice.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2013-12-05 at 08:51 AM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Sigh, hired new soldiers. Got three women. Out of female names.

smuchmuch, Doc Kraken, Schneekry, Surrealistik, Eldan if y'all want to come up with another name for me, I need two more. First come first serve. Anyone else, if you want to come up with alternate names for when I get to you, that would be helpful.

Next two episodes recorded. That last Slingshot mission? Well, let's just say I was left with 5 effective combat soldiers after.
    Pvt Draconi Redfir reporting for duty sir! Free for any genetic modificaitions or psychic trainings you may eventually need! Just keep those Mec buzzsaws away from me! Oh! And if you can, paint me red
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2013-12-05 at 01:06 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show