New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Total War - Icon City (IC)

Gilgamesh in: Lunch with Merlin! [PM]

Spoiler
    Show
    Gilgamesh leans back in his chair and, for a few seconds, just stares at the steam rising from the cup of tea in his hand.
    "Merlin. Everyone else, I'd spin a story now. Four armed giant green aliens, maybe, and flying ships. But... what I want to say is..."
    He pauses again.
    "Do you ever get tired? Really, incredibly tired? I had to get away from all this for a while. Mars. Mars was perfect. Only me. Alone with the dust and the wind and the stars. Cliffs four miles high in the vallis marineris and the absolute darkness at their bottom. The peeks of Tharis at sunset. I spent four hundred years just walking and thinking, for myself. It was good."
    He sips his tea and sets it down again.
    "But this? This is also good. One can not be alone forever."
    He smiles, wearily.
    "I brought you a gift."
    Reaching into his pocket, he produces a fist-sized piece of black rock with a faintly metallic sheen to it.
    "Piece of the Hellas asteroid. Largest crater in the solar system."
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hardliners
    Internal [PM]

Spoiler
    Show

And so you start hacking...

Three actions later...

1. You create a fairly decent false identity for the Smith. Should hold up to most standard tests, so long as they don't dig too deep. Not a 100%, and another action could improve it, but it SHOULD be good.

2. You get a guest list, along with a time table. Security layouts are not available on any web-based systems you can find.

Man, they're inviting a lot of people. Some heroes, too. However, only a few have RSVP'd for certain.

3. FEMA. Lord, FEMA is scary. But luck is with you, as you pull a serious coup. Though you don't have a chance in hell of setting up a backdoor, you get ahold of some incident logs.

About 9 oclock, passers-by report shots fired. Cops arrive at 9:22, to find part of the place collapsed, and a firefight going on. They call in SWAT.

9:30, SWAT choppers in, and someone opens up with RPGs. Chopper's forced down, SWAT tries a breach anyway and takes fatalities.

In the confusion, SOMETHING about bear-sized is witnessed leaving. No one's quite sure between the darkness and the chaos, but it's generally agreed it wasn't human. At that point there are only a few hostiles left in the building. The ICPD hands off the situation to the MRB.

9:33, the MRB teleports a crisis squad in. The building is locked down. 9:40, they call FEMA.

10:09, FEMA arrives in force, kicks the MRB out, and sets up. They confirm illegal bio-engineering apparatus is present in the building, and... That's all you can get. From here the report is switched to a more secure server.

Something was made there.

Something got loose.
    Awesome avatar by Kpenguin. ALL HAIL DOCTOR DIRE!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Garren Gomar and the Mercury Puzzle (in the vault)
    Spoiler
    Show

"Six crates of artifacts." He remarks offhandedly. "According to... my sources, the theft was done in such a short time that an air pressure sensor was the only thing that noticed it. That points to a sudden dislocation, teleportation if you will, of all the artifacts. I was hoping to look at the records of the device for some further data on the specifics. But I would say that someone from the outside using some sort of trick to empty the vault is the most likely hypothesis, as I do not think the artifacts teleporting themselves away would cause such marks on the wall."
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

4. - Top - End - #94

Gilgamesh in the Vault

Spoiler
    Show
    "Yes, quite. Hm. That window looks about... six by eight inches? An acrobat could get through that. Or a spelunker. But there's glass in the way. It also wouldn't explain the missing artefacts."

He begins shaking the dice, looking back at the second agent. "You in?"

Then, he furrows his brows and turns back to Garren Gomar.
    "Say. Your face seems... familiar. Have we met before?"

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

Mordecai Carter

Golden Flock [M]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Money-back guarantee.

1. The people in white... they match the description of an ancient order of merciless templars, though that term doesn't really do them justice. They're known as Aequitas Rex - you may have heard of them, since their name is still whispered in fear. Few know that they still exist, though, probably still on their ancient crusade. They're bad news, and if you saw them, I hope you know what you're doing. Old texts say they leave behind only flames and the symbol of justice. Their motivations aren't exactly clear, but a lot of wizards and arcane texts are gone forever thanks to them.

2. Those descriptions aren't familiar to me. If I had some context as to where you saw them, or what kind of magic the man was using, I could dig deeper.

3. We'll come back to 3.

4. These symbols are from the Nature Preserve, I'm guessing? I've seen many like them in that area. They hold magical power, a sort of natural energy that's coalescing in that forest.

I've got a theory about that. There's been a lot happening in the supernatural world, and Icon City is right in the middle of it. You've probably noticed the number of magical entities popping up in and around the city, and it's causing a leyline shift - sort of tipping the scales of where all this magic is meant to be. The result is a magical phenomenon called a mana node: the Preserve is becoming magically charged, and somewhere inside is a locus, a point of dense magic energy. If someone finds it and spends enough time there, they can absorb that power.

Now, here's something else you should know: somebody told the Goblin Market where the locus is. So that means that at least one powerful mage is poking around the preserve, and once the Market auctions off the location, there'll be more on the way. Everyone wants the node, and only one person's gonna be able to have it. Things might get rough.

Now, back to number 3: those people with the sticks are mine. Kids. On the scale of the Aequitas Rex, mysterious sorcerors, and leyline shifts, they don't even register. Their scouting is why I have some of this information I'm giving you.

So I'll ask you one point of clarification: Did you see all these groups in the Nature Preserve? Because if my apprentices are within a five mile radius of the Aequitas Rex, I need to warn them.

Argyle's Antiquities [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    One of Mordecai's apprentices arrives (just a little late) for the auction, taking a seat in the back.
    Last edited by Cognimancer; 2013-11-25 at 07:32 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Garren Gomar - Friends in Enclosed Places
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Gilgamesh? Probably not. Insofar as I'm aware, you've been on a different planet."
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Hardliners

The Super Hero mailing list
    Spoiler
    Show
    To the would be unobtrusive hero (A strange Ideal):
    If crime is not your problem I firstly do not know what you are for and secondly don't know where you live, but it certainly isn't where the rest of us live. Crime is most definitely our problem. Gang violence in particular could, at any moment, erupt into full scale multi-factional war. This is the most beloved city in the world. We take the point that there are weightier concerns, but nothing is beneath a true hero.

To the whole: We have some details on the FEMA situation. Their security is not so scary, though the same might be said of this forum (Incidentally, if the good Mr Edison is willing to pay for a secure server I can provide excellent security for it) as usual we cannot speak openly, but I judge this information sufficiently important to be worth sharing despite the risk. The Lab was attacked by an organised force carrying guns and RPGs. The site itself appears secure, but bio-engineering tech has been discovered. And something got out in the fire fight. Reported large and possibly bear-like. Only a few survivors (Attackers and SWAT) and unknown where they are. Suggest anyone with any tracking ability survey the area around the lab ASAP. Suggest anyone with any pull in MRB or FEMA get access to one of the prisoners for interrogation.

Historical society
    Spoiler
    Show
    Does it matter? We're offering to find your priceless artefacts. Free of charge I might add.

We're the Hardliners. We're heroes. Super-Pac will vouch for us, I understand they have access to the scene, if you really wish to waste time we could be spending finding said priceless artefacts.

SCK
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bozzo smiles, as enigmatically as his open face will allow. 'I was authorised for a one time purchase. But I think my... bosses will like the second idea. They're entrepreneurs. So, how do you want to do this? Do we shift product on your turf? I hear things are good at the fish markets right now.

Father Figure
    Spoiler
    Show
    The red headed beauty doesn't miss a beat, doesn't react. Her voice is just as placative, just as timid 'But Father, if those heroes had not stood up to be destroyed you and I could not have this conversation... Yes, thank you, coffee would be wonderful. Is there really no way to stop what is coming? And what are these strange beasts? Why must they destroy us?

Helios Core
    Spoiler
    Show
    Of course. There's nothing I can't delay for an interview with Helios, pick a time of your choosing.

And off the Smith goes to the subway, complete with carefully read and signed papers and a memorised passcode.

Vorpal
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, it's like that, is it? Well then, happy hunting, we won't get in your way

Boardwalk Meeting
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry. MD is Major Disaster

Black Bloods
    Spoiler
    Show
    We know what the woman wants. Send someone with some cash and we might share
    Last edited by Ladorak; 2013-11-25 at 08:30 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit by kpenguin. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

8. - Top - End - #98

Boardwalk
    Major Disaster [PM]

Spoiler
    Show

Ah, boardwalk. Trendy bars, a view of the frozen ocean, Christmas decorations everywhere... (Still not down. The place slows down a bit in winter.)

And a rumbling sound, as a pack of small, spherical drones about the size of cantaloupes roll across the planking, stop, and scan him with lasers. Snapping shut, they clear the way as a louder rumbling is heard. A black, segmented metal ball the size of a dumpster swerves down the row, dodging pointing pedestrians, and moving up to Major Disaster. As it reaches him it unfolds, pill-bug style, revealing a gyro-stabilized, man-shaped form held suspended in a metal framework, armored curved plates ready to snap together at a minute's notice.

"Heya. Name's Eight-ball. C'mon, let's head up the street a ways to talk."

You find a reasonably deserted pier, and he explains.

"Simple situation. Anne Droid's in town for some reason. She's basically a crazy brain in a body that can take out tanks. She surfaces every now and then, usually on some job or the other, and I got a tip that she's hiding out somewhere on the Boardwalk. I could use some help finding her and running her off, before she causes some real damage."

"You up for that, man?"

Last edited by Lost Demiurge; 2013-11-25 at 08:35 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99

Mordecai Carter

Spoiler
    Show
    After taking a moment to wrap his head around what he was seeing, the apprentice raises his hand at the troll. "[5 Cash]."

The Ideal [M]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Agent Coldwell,

My name is Mordecai Carter. I'm a local, well, I guess you could call me an expert on the magical and arcane. Couldn't help but notice the arrival of the respectable, nice-guy heroes you've got on your team, so I thought I'd extend a greeting. And a one time offer.

If you would, Mr. Coldwell, I'd like you to forget about any pre-conceptions you might have about practitioners of magic. I'm not a mad sorcerer, nor an elderly hermit. I like to think of myself as a businessman. As such, I do business, and at the moment I'm in need a little venture capital.

So, here's my idea: if you could use some of that government money to help invest in my enterprises, just [2 or 3 Cash] to get me started, you'd have a wizard on your side: that means I'd be returning the favor with info on the magic world, one secret per [Cash], or store credit if you ever need enchanted goods. This city's full of strangeness, I'm sure you know. Some of it, the Powers, is your area of expertise, but if you get caught up in something magical you'll be a fish out of water without a consultant. So what do you say?

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Hardliners

Boardwalk PM
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm up for that. And I think we can do a damn better job then just running her off to. I haven't messed with her before though, I can call back up if you think we need it
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit by kpenguin. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Sergei Kalinin

Spoiler: Business Lunch [PM]
    Show
    "Aw, nuts. Eh, no harm askin', no? Arright, [7 Cash] wit' 'e insurance plan 'tis, den! Tell 'e lady I a'ready got 'e peeps in mind, arright?"

Sergei said, tossing off his drink.

"So, wha' else ya got for Sergei, or is dis pleasure doin' bizness wit' ya?"

Spoiler: To Graveyard Gang [E]
    Show
    Leave it to ol' Sergei, my friend! I'll arrange for someone to break your guys outta trouble, if any of you get in it!

Spoiler: To Vorpal [P]
    Show
    "Fair 'nuff, fair 'nuff! Jus' hearin' 'tis one of yer jobs is knowin' 'nuff for ol' Sergei, eh? Thought yer might be bein' an hero for a while there! Good ta see dealin' wit' yer still on 'e table, no?

So yah, yer gonna get a bit o' attention at dis rate. If yer get into deep doo-doo, Sergei's got a guy 'ere can break ya outta it, jus' so yer know!"

Spoiler: Internal [PM]
    Show
    For Immediate Action

Charlie

1. Use his [Urban Camouflage 1] skills to walk around incognito in the Slumsides, checking out the vandalism that has occurred there with his own eyes. Maybe he might catch someone in the act...

2. Use his [Urban Camouflage 1] skills to attend the Rotary Club Fundraiser incognito, and try not to draw attention to himself.

Sergei

1. PM Meeting with Arachne at Luxury Lofts.
    Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Garren Gomar and the Vault of the Half-Formed Thumb-Print - what?
    Spoiler
    Show

"All right. I think I've exhausted what I can do from inside this room. I need a fingerprint database, some acid, the museum probably has some methods of taking and analyzing material samples and the blueprints of the building. And the data from the air pressure analyzer.

I'm pretty much convinced that, as it seemingly wasn't teleportation... unless they needed to get in first but in that case I don't see the issue in- whatever. Probably wasn't teleportation, it seems like the work of someone who can meld into materials and extend that property to objects of his choosing. So I'm looking at outside actor and internal catalyst - someone physically broke in here, grabbed the goods and left. The details will become more clear once I get the aforementioned data points.

So, someone mentioned dice?"
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Ideal

Spoiler: The Engineer's Notes
    Show

If you're seeing the above image, then you're an unauthorized user. As you read this, the memetic kill-code embedded within should have begun to affect you. This will cause the neurons in your brain to begin firing rapidly, quickly triggering an extreme seizure, which will eventually lead to death. Please enjoy the last 30-45 seconds of your life.
    Spoiler
    Show

Infuriating!

Actually, I suppose I should elaborate, for future reference.

I went ahead and did Avalon's physical. I need to get some use of of that M.D. I got last summer.

As it turned out, everything check out fine. As far as his blood-work, and even genetic testing goes, he is a perfectly healthy, perfectly normal, human being.

Infuriating! I can't find a single thing that should indicate where his powers come from! I already know it's not technological. The only real possibility left is some sort of "magical" effect, but I have no means to test this. Will have to look into it further.

I did notice a strange thing though. I was expecting to have problems taking a blood sample, I had no trouble doing so. Very odd, since I've seen video of bullets bouncing off of Avalon. The needle shouldn't have been able to even pierce his skin. I decided on a little experiment; I took up an empty syringe and attempted to jab him in the arm as hard as I could. The needle glanced off his skin as if I'd tried to stab a piece of steel. Very interesting. Perhaps his powers are only active at the moment they need to be used? This warrants further tests.

Spoiler: Super - PAC & Icon City Heroes Message-board - [E]
    Show

Idealist: I'll take your word for it.

I'll tell you though, not near as lenient if you go a bit further west. Police in, for example, Chicago, prefer that you don't be interfering in their investigations. At least until they ask you to. Or **** really hits the fan, whichever.

Apparently, the MRB and FEMA want us in a meeting. Anything comes up we think might be useful to you guys, we'll let you know.

Spoiler: FEMA Meeting - [PM]
    Show

The Ideal's representative is an incredibly plain looking man in a boring grey suit. On his suit-jacket is pinned a small, bland looking ID with the with the name James Coldwell on it. He smiles subtly as he speaks.

"Sorry, but I'm afraid we've been slightly busy, and the message asking for me wasn't terribly specific. Am I to assume that this meeting is regarding the incident at Peabody Labs?"

Spoiler: City Hall - [P]
    Show

That sounds great, I'm sure Avalon would love to attend!

Of course, we are still trying to maintain the secrecy around our members identifies. Avalon would be fully armored, as he's most known. I doubt that would be a problem in this city, but I figure it's probably best to make sure.

Spoiler: ICPD - [P]
    Show

I appreciate the concern, but Avalon will probably be alright. He is notoriously hard to injure.

Spoiler: Mordecai Carter - [M]
    Show

Mr. Carter,

I'm glad to hear from you, and really do appreciate the offer. Unfortunately, the powers-that-be haven't been funding us near as well as they probably should be. Honestly, we just can't afford it.

I hope, however, that this does not preclude the possibility of cooperation. We may very well someday need the services of an experienced mage.

Thank you,
    James Coldwell

OOC: $50 an hour plus expenses. I'm getting a bit of a Harry Dresden vibe here.

Spoiler: Internal - [PM]
    Show

Currently, my only databases are Powers and Technology 1 each. So apparently, I know nothing about Icon City (oh noes!)

Looked over the rules for manufacturing really quickly. So I will be spending 2 Cash and 2 TP to build some nice Shock-Bolt Gloves.

...at some point, I'll need to figure out a way for the Ideal to make money. I could presumably be doing endorsements and traditional CELEBRITY-type things, but...ehh...
    Awesome Morrigi Avatar by Akrim.elf. A thousand thanks.

TW Factions

Spoiler
    Show

None

PBP Characters

14. - Top - End - #104

FEMA MEETING
    (Ideal, Foundation)

Spoiler
    Show

Miss Cavinch "Harrumphs," and Carceri looks to Agent Coldwell, giving him a brief nod.

The FEMA lady continues.

"As your agencies are new to Icon City, it was felt that a discussion of the operating hierarchy would be necessary, to prevent... Accidental conflict. Now, as you may or may not be aware, the hierarchy goes as follows in town."

She hands out charts.

"The ICPD is the bottom, the first line of defense. City Hall is above them, they'll help with PR and handle scandals and the like. You are... Technically above City Hall, both of your organizations, but it is best not to antagonize the administration. The local mayor is polite and cooperative. We'd like to keep him that way."

"Above you both is the Metahuman Response Bureau. Mister Carceri?"

He exhales a stream of smoke, and leans in closer, grey, faded eyes studying you.

"We've been briefed on your capabilities, and we believe your programs will be a good fit for Icon City. You'll need time to acclimatize, stretch your wings, and figure out what you can and can't do. We'll help you with that so long as you stay on the straight and narrow, but eventually the time will come where we'll have other things to do and you'll be ready to stand on your own."

"Also, we'll be in charge of your funding."
    He grimaces. "Every month we'll expect a report on you on your doings inside the city. Don't have to detail everything, just things we should know. Meet this simple request, and keep your noses clean, and we'll provide a small amount of funding. Not much, we're strapped ourselves."

"If something comes up and you find a definite need for cash, then contact me and we'll put it up the chain." He looks to Miss Cavinch. She nods. "We're in charge of reviewing and authorizing these requests. Bear in mind that we are not santa claus. Save requests like that for emergencies."

Carceri exhales a stream of smoke. "Both of your agencies also have a good technological base, and other talents. Here in Icon City, there are opportunities to fund yourselves. Inventions, contract work, other niches. While it's secondary to your main work, there is no shame in finding other ways to keep afloat. Hell, some limited black market trading might even be acceptable-"

"Mister Carceri!"

He coughs, gives her a glare, until she looks away, then continues. "SO LONG AS it is nothing dangerous, lethal, or anything that could be traced back to you. Besides, if you decide to give covert ops a whirl, contacts in low places might be good."

Miss Cavinch is clearly not happy at this, but she holds her tongue. "At any rate, if you need something, talk to the MRB. If you come across an immediate city-endangering threat, or XK-class scenario (Chance that the world might be destroyed,) call FEMA immediately."

"Now," she grimaces, "On to Peabody Labs." Carceri stubs his cigarette out on the desk, intrigued.

She continues. "This information does not leak to the outside by any means. Are we clear?" After waiting for confirmation, she continues. "I'll let the slides speak for themselves." She opens the briefcase, revealing a laptop, and shows a presentation.

PEABODY LABS RECORD
    Spoiler
    Show

About 9 oclock, passers-by report shots fired. Cops arrive at 9:22, to find part of the place collapsed, and a firefight going on. They call in SWAT.

9:30, SWAT choppers in, and someone opens up with RPGs. Chopper's forced down, SWAT tries a breach anyway and takes fatalities.

In the confusion, SOMETHING about bear-sized is witnessed leaving. No one's quite sure between the darkness and the chaos, but it's generally agreed it wasn't human. At that point there are only a few hostiles left in the building. The ICPD hands off the situation to the MRB.

9:33, the MRB teleports a crisis squad in. The building is locked down. 9:40, they call FEMA.

10:09, FEMA arrives in force, kicks the MRB out, and sets up. They confirm illegal bio-engineering apparatus is present in the building.

Miss Cavinch folds her arms. "At this time, we do not know who was using Peabody Labs as a front. Nor do we know who attacked them. We only know one thing, thus far."

"The entirety of that lab was devoted to a single experiment. A single creature."

"Something that, according to the few salvaged files we found, was called "Legion".

She closes the briefcase. Carceri nods, wheels turning behind his eyes.

"You have questions?" She inquires.

ICPD
    to Limpeza Chama [p]

Spoiler
    Show

About a day or two later, after sending the mail, Moreno recieves a phone call from Icon City's finest. They actually found someone who can speak Portugese...

<Hola, sir. Thank you for asking, so few new arrivals to our city take the time to question. Well, according to your visas, you're a class M organization, some magic or metahuman factors and a decided tendency toward heroism. As such, so long as you do not commit crimes or kill save in self defense or extraordinary circumstance, we do not mind how you use the tools of your trade. If you wish to get dispensations or have more specific questions, the Metahuman Response Bureau could possibly work with you there.>

<Now when you get to modern munitions, things are a little more strict. Pistols are legal within city limits, but keeping them loaded or drawing them without reason is not. Longarms may be transported in vehicles, so long as they are locked away. Automatic weapons are illegal. Explosives are illegal. We like our city, we like to keep it standing.>

<As far as reducing the criminal element, well, if you find criminals or catch people in the act, please subdue them and call us. We'll be happy to lock them up.>

<Does this answer your questions, sir?>

Limpeza Chama
    at Barrios Mini Mart [PM]

Spoiler
    Show

You visit the Mini Marts, and stock up on sundries.

While you do so, men in green bandannas keep a hard eye on you. These must be Die Kriegers, and they patrol the area regularly. They don't seem to be hostile, but they don't seem ready to give you welcome baskets, either. People seem to fear them.

That two block area... You can definitely feel the difference, though it would be far too subtle for most others. You notice that the employees in the stores in that area are quiet, well-spoken, and a little older on the whole than the other employees around here. A few of them stand with military discipline, when they think no one is looking.

Hm. They're also a little understaffed for this time of year.

Too, the security systems in this part of the Mini-marts are slightly better than the other areas. Better cameras, the locks are new, that sort of thing.

(Anything else you want to do while you're there?)

John Smith
    John Smith goes looking for a job in Mini-marts!

He passes by a few cars full of guys in green ganger colors. Must be those Die Kriegers folks his elderly neighbor keeps ranting about. Eh, they look mean, but they're not bothering anyone right now.

After checking around in a few places, he finds a gas station with a bored teenager managing it.

"Sure, we can put you to work. The pay sucks and you might get held up by robbers, but the hours are great. And you get all the dubious hot dogs you can eat!"

[He's offering a menial unskilled job. For every 2 actions you put toward working here, you will get 1 cash.]
    Last edited by Lost Demiurge; 2013-11-26 at 12:46 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105

Gilgamesh in: The Vaults of History

Spoiler
    Show
    "Yes, here they are." He puts five bone dice done on the floor in the middle of the vault. "Wager is five bucks or closest equivalent."

16. - Top - End - #106

Mordecai Carter

The Ideal [M]
    Spoiler
    Show
    I understand. If you do require my services in the future, please don't hesitate to call. I look forward to hearing great things about your work in Icon City. Good luck, Mr. Coldwell.

- Mordecai

OOC: Spot on, Mr. Dresden was a big inspiration. You have good taste, Agent Coulson... er, Coldwell ;)

Internal [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    On second thought, I want my apprentices in the Nature Reserve to cancel the investigation. If my assumption is correct that the Golden Flock saw all those people in the Reserve, I don't want to risk them running into danger over a location I might just purchase anyways.
    Last edited by Cognimancer; 2013-11-26 at 07:27 AM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Museum (Gilgamesh, Garren Gomar)
    Show

"Game on!" she says grinning cash symbols almost appearing on her eyes.

"We can provide that, I don't think Doc will mind us borrowing those facilities, she's focused on getting the Rider System up and running. We can process the data and send it over to you as soon as possible." the man replies to Garren, taking out a camera.

Spoiler: Meeting (Ideal)
    Show

As he reads the report, the man's cheerful demeanor slowly fades, "This is bad, no that's an understatement, we will inform you if we run into this, Legion, consider the Rider System a resource at your disposal, though the question on both our minds here I think is funding, just how much will we be given to work with?"

Turning to Coldwell he continues, "So, you're with the Ideal, I hope we can get along," extending his arm in greeting.

Spoiler: A Belated reply (Lazarus Technologies)
    Show

We apologize, we are currently unable to provide much in the way of funding, we cannot match-make you to any of our funders, none of them are currently interested in biotechnology.

However, we can provide assistance in terms of research data, The Foundation has its own fully staffed and equipped labs. We can provide necessary data towards your research. In addition we may be able to help outsource your lab's workload to other labs performing similar research.

- Jeremy Smith
    Director of the Foundation
    Last edited by The_Admiral; 2013-11-26 at 08:44 AM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Garren Gomar and the Search for Answers (Vault people) [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

"Hmm. I think all except the blueprints and sensor data are best left to the police. I think they'd already have the former two, plus they've got better equipment and proficiency with the more technical lines of investigative inquiry."
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Museum (Gilgamesh, Garren Gomar) PM
    Show

"Hey, some of us used to be cops you know, anyway, you'll still need our help to get them to share."
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Golden Flock

Commissioner Rackham [Phone]
    Spoiler
    Show

''Mr. Rackham,

''This is Mr. Eduard speaking, you may have heard of me.*''

''I am a concerned bird - concerned about the rumors of some dangerous activity happening in the woods. Some magical hoodoo, escaping things from Peabody Labs, vampires. All along budget cuts. And as a concerned citizen of the Icon City I was hoping to contribute to the solution to the problem by a small donation of [3] Cash to the Rangers in the Wilderness Preserve. I realize the problems of the animals are hardly a concern for the human population of the city, but I care about my brethren, even if they lack my sentience.''

*[I hope commissioner heard about my [Rumor Mongering] & [Newspaper] Traits. And that I probably know about his son. Won’t mention it in the conversation. I’m no extortionist.]

Mordecai [M]
    Spoiler
    Show

''Your apprentices are not yet in five mile radius of men in white - but I expect that they’ll eventually make it there.''

''I advise you to call them back, before they get too close. And the other mage that has been to the place is both powerful and… wrong.''
    I saw humans get on fine without power for millennia. You used to hunt and gather, what happened to that?

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Garren Gomar - Museum Piece? [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Heh." He grins. "I am confident that I can charm the two pieces of data I require from the museum. I will simply inform the police of my conclusions regarding the other matters, and trust in their expertise on that count.

To be frank, I'm not horrendously invested here."
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGirl

Lantern:

Internal: [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Threat eliminated. Human. Not known. Gather corpses. Examine. Human physiology unknown. Dissect. Learn. Consume. Try out knowledge. Assume form. Feels weird. Jacob? Name. Jacob. Body familiar. Two arms? No. Arm lost. Change form. James, Micheal? Friends. Dead. Battle. Injury. Seek aid. No. Confusion. Wait. Resume form.

Battle ended. Dark approaching. Return home. Inside. Safe. Wait. Wait. Wait. Feels Weird. Something missing. Search. Nothing. Matter. Energy. Create? Recollection. Patterns. Gather resources. Create. Form. Life. Moving. Breathing. Examine. Imperfect. Ugly. Consume. Again. Create. Imperfect. Better. Keep. More.

- - - - - -

Jacob opens his eyes. His vision is blurry at first but quickly clears. He's lying on a makeshift bed, besides dozens more, a few occupied by individuals in varying states of injury. Everything hurts. He manages to turn his head, looking over to the stump that was his right arm, sewed up in less than perfect fashion.

He tries to speak, but just coughs harshly. An attendent standing a short distance away turns, and walks over. She smiles when she speaks.

"You're awake. Nice to see you made it. Was worried there for a while

Jacob coughed again.

"Do you know where you are?

Jacob tried to think back. The memories were still assembling themselves.

"St Andrews Clinic, in the outskirts. You wandered in here two days ago, collapsed without saying a word. Really gave us a shock.

Jacob remembered. Fear. Darkness. Blood. Pain. Death. Micheal and James were gone. His only friends. People who understood. All he had in this stupid life. Family were never worth anything. Jacob looked to his arm again. Useless. What could he do with one stupid arm!? What was the point in anything now?

"Here, have a drink"

The attendent picked a cup of water off a nearby table, letting Jacob sip slowly.

"I'll be back to check up on you in a minute, I have to see to some of the others. Make noise if you need anything."
    Last edited by razovor; 2013-11-26 at 06:51 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113

ICON CITY INSIDER
    Augustine Park rangers announce Closure!

Due to recent foul weather, park rangers have announced the closure of the local Nature Reserve to public traffic.

"Not that we get many visitors in January, mind you," an anonymous ranger replied.

Questions as to whether this had anything to do with the recent strange lights and phenomena seen within the park's boundaries were met with silence, and replies of "No Comment."

Fort Steyer
    to Eternal Darkness [PM]

Spoiler
    Show

(I actually figured you guys were a bit more like modern vampires. That you could wake up in the daytime, but direct sunlight would still cause damage and harm.

Do you want to have the daysleep weakness? I would up your followers rating, to counterbalance such a big weakness, if so...)

The Lt. Colonel listens, then nods. "Well, I understand your concerns. Do you feel that you're being threatened right now? I don't want to divert patrols without a good reason to justify it to my superiors up the chain, but if you feel there's a clear and present danger, we could spare a few PFC's a couple of times a day."

East Temple Meeting
    Mara [PM]

Spoiler
    Show

The man coughs and splutters, and finally shuts his mouth. "Y-you need to talk to... Well. Come along, please."

He leads you upstairs, to a beautiful rotunda. The stained glass above plays a red and gold light across the floor, making it look like dancing flames. There is a white mural inset into the floor, of a crooked cross. No, not a cross. Crossroads.

As you step into it, there's a shimmer, and from one of the pews a man in a suit rises...

He wasn't there before. He's neatly dressed, clean shaven, and smiling, and his eyes are a solid, oily black.

"Hello Mara. That's what you're calling yourself nowadays, aren't you?"

You're in his place of power, and judging by the raw feeling you get from him, he's pretty strong. You're pretty sure that if things went bad, you'd be hard pressed to survive.

But... This is a bargainer demon. They don't like using brute force without a damn good reason.

The Low Master departs, leaving you to talk privately.

There's a glass of wine in the Stranger's hand. He sips. "So what brings you here today? Social Call? Dropping off a fruit basket? Or perhaps... You're looking to deal...?"

Trifecta
    Internal [PM]

Spoiler
    Show

Your cultists report that the staff-wielding group poking around the woods got a phone call and left in one hell of a hurry. They're gone with no chance of interception.

Order of the Hand and Eye
    East Temple Meeting [PM]

Spoiler
    Show

The Temple is a large, towering stone structure that is covered in odd symbols, with quite beautiful stained glass windows. It's not a church, but clearly meant to evoke the same grandeur and feeling.

The front doors are locked, and a friendly guard escorts Mara to the back, where she enters a series of normal-looking corridors, and ends in a small, oddly pedestrian office. A rotund, smiling man shakes his hand. "Good afternoon. I'm the Low Master of Protocol, my job is to deal with the public, and prospective members. How can we help you today?"

Order of the Hand and Eye
    Internal [PM]

Spoiler
    Show

Tulpas are traditionally a tibetan thing, but there are similar African notions.

Basically created thought constructs that have spiritual presence. Not quite demons, but sinister in their own way. Your man in the museum is looking into folklore, this'll probably take some time to bear fruit.

Solomon wanders down to the museum. See VAULT-A-PALOOZA, below.

FEMA
    to Super-Pac [p]

Spoiler
    Show

"Thank you for your concern. Again, no comment."

*CLICK*

Yep, they just hung up on you.

Royal British Museum
    to Super-Pac [P]
    Spoiler
    Show

"Hm. Well, sadly, records from that time are a bit more spotty. From what we can tell, most of the assaults were handled by Nottingham constabulary, and those would be old files, long since gone. Rumors are that Mister Boothsby rarely pressed charges or involved the police anyway, and that a lot of robbers were quietly buried on his estate after he took care of matters."
    "As to the collections, certainly!"

He emails you a manifest, with photos. Looks like a lot of old statues, most fairly small (6 inches to a foot or so.) About a sixth of them have gems inset in them.

MRB
    to Super-Pac [P]

Spoiler
    Show

"Hm, hang on a second please."

There's a muffled conversation, then the person on the other end comes back.

"Director Carceri says that he'll be happy to talk to you at the party, especially if it gets him out of having to socialize for a few hours."

????
    to Merlin [PM]

Spoiler
    Show

It takes a special device dug out of the Library, a sort of bird cage lined with crystals and rune. Takes Merlin a while to premember how to use it, but he finally tunes it in and gets a signal.

A pale, slightly pointed-eared visage fades in, white hair in countless braids, filigreed headdress of gold and ebony, and eyes devoid of mercy or compassion.

"<Monkey. I know not who you are, or how you got this, or how your primitive brain figured out its usage, but your betters shall be coming soon to reclaim- Wait. You are the Merlin!>"

The head turns and there's a rapid-fire discussion. Finally, a male face with golden (literally golden) orbs for eyes replaces it, and studies you.

"<Yes, something nearly went wrong recently. But your mutant freaks stopped it, at great cost. The crisis appears to be over, what is there left to do? And why should we help you?>"

"<Not that we don't appreciate that help back with the Constantinople affair back in the day, and you're no monkey, but getting involved with you means getting involved in the business of the groundlickers around you, and that rarely goes well. What's different about this time?>"

Golden Flock
    Internal [PM]

Spoiler
    Show

Ratson and his boys try to move in... And get shut down, HARD. Not only are the undamaged parts of the Peabody facility completely sealed against even INSECTS getting in or out (It looks like the structure was built this way,) but the FEMA picket line has cameras, guard dog patrols, and surveillance vans, and seems to be taking notice of any animal that tries to cross nearby. They're armed with flamethrowers for some reason, and Ratson's boys barely escape. It's pretty nuts.

It looks like there was no undergound level, it was all above ground. That said, it's definitely weirdly built.

There is also one hell of a weird smell where some critter unknown to Ratson's experience left the facility and ran... The trail looks like it doesn't go anywhere near the woods. It meanders around, and seems to veer off towards the city.

A cursory check of what you know about Peabody Labs from your database and other information turns up little beyond the company name. They're not on record as doing any animal testing, which in of itself is a little suspicious for a GMO crop researcher. You could always spend an action to dig deeper.

BAD BOY GONE
    (Roll succeeded. No need to pay cash, yet.)

Your investigation turns up a tragedy. Richard Brady, son of a wealthy and famous attorney, rebelled against his parents, dropped out of college, and shacked up with some friends in the Slumside. He was reported missing after an apartment breakin a few days ago according to the police reports, and is still missing. Given the territory, it's likely the Black Bloods gang is involved. Rumor has it that his dad went frantic, and started looking for bounty hunters and the like to get him back, offering a good sized reward for the kid's rescue. That particular contract went off the market... Right at the same time Vorpal started shanking Black Bloods in the Brownstones.

You've got enough facts to piece together the chain of events, but you'd have to dig a little harder for actual blackmail material. The Young Turk involved is a lawyer, he probably covered his tracks a bit.

Mordecai Carter
    Strays Welcome [PM]

Spoiler
    Show

It's just another dive, in the lower level. Smells of fish, as does most of this part of the neighborhood. Tourists don't come here, and the crowd all knows each other. You are lead upstairs, to a series of rooms that look like a few crazy cat ladies exploded all up in here. Domestic felines of every shape and size peer at you or pretend to ignore you as you go, and you are lead to a room decorated with all sorts of cat representations, from golden statues to crayon drawings made by 5-year-olds. In the center of it resides a woman dressed in fine robes, wearing a headdress in the shape of a cat's head. A black and white cat sits on her lap, and watches you, blinking. A lawn chair has been set up by the throne, and a card table nearby holds a pot of tea.

*Hello, Mister Carter. It is good to finally meet you. Ah, is that for me?*

You're hearing this voice in your head. The woman stretches out her arm, and takes the charm from you, tilting it this way and that in her hand, as it gleams in the soft light.

*Your gift to the goddess is recognized. You are in the presence of she who is called Bastet, the Eye of Ra, she who wards against plague and wicked spirits, neighbor to Mordecai Carter, and also noted for many other things.*

The woman indicates the tea cups, and the pitcher.

*Do pour, please. To what do we owe the pleasure of this visit?*

Mordecai
    Internal [PM]

Spoiler
    Show

You call your apprentices in the woods, and they get the hell out of there. They're glad to be out of the cold, they report feelings of being watched while they were out there.

Gilgamesh on the Street
    (Gilgamesh, Foundation)

The Watchmen look at each other again, shrug. "Well, you're living in the Rustbelt, yeah? Look for the guys around there wearin' black armbands. Shouldn't be too hard, they're the ones'll cut you if you look at'em funny."

Gilgamesh
    Rustbelt Ruins

Spoiler
    Show

Gilgamesh tracks down one of the bigger factory complexes. This one's got sentries walking around its half-fallen fences, armed with shotguns. They look at him funny, as he shows up.

He yells a greeting, and they laugh, nastily.

"The hell you want, fool? Go put on some pants! There's no drugs in here for you!"

They mock him, though a few in the back seem a little concerned. They're keeping their pistols and shotguns handy, just in case.

Gilgamesh can make out about 15 or so of them in the courtyard outside the complex.

Family
    Internal [PM]

Spoiler
    Show

1. You watch the situation develop, and can read the At Swordpoint post below. As you watch, your men report feds moving through! That Ideal guy, Avalon, with a squad of honest to god soldiers back a few streets as backup, heading this way! As soon as he shows up, Vorpal bugs out.

2. You continue patrolling. No signs of Metalclad yet. Given that figure seems pretty skittish, it might be hard to track down.

3. Knight of Blades is a Paragon, pretty straightforward. Vorpal's deadly. Can cause different energy auras to manifest around any blade she touches. Fire and Electricity and some sort of monofilament effect are her common uses.

4. Mm, the difference between mercenaries and militant cops is fairly slight. A bit too slight for game terms.

Black Bloods
    to Family [E]

Spoiler
    Show

Knight of Blades? Serious? %@!%, this is awesome, maybe they'll kill each other, save us the trouble!

Think we'll let them sort it out. Vorpal, she crazy. Any blade she holds becomes like a supersword, and she can throw knives with like fire and lighting and @%!%, and some glowy trick that lets them cut through anything. Got a few tech toys too, but we don't know what.

Helios Core
    to Lazarus Technologies [E]

Spoiler
    Show

Sir, that device sounds like it has a good deal of potential. If you can complete some research, we'll review it and pass it on to the appropriate funding committee. (They're asking to see your research to date. They don't need a full schematic.) As far as our other work, that is classified at this time. If you would care to submit your resume, and it matches a need, we would be happy to discuss further employment with you in a face-to-face interveiw.

Banker's Dozen

Spoiler
    Show

Good afternoon, sir. We would be happy to arrange a loan for you. Please bring a prospectus of your company, your licenses, a presentation of your planned product line, and your best professional demeanor. We can fit you in at 0830 tomorrow, if you're willing.

City Hall
    to Lazarus Technologies[E]

Spoiler
    Show

Hello sir, and welcome to the Icon City community! (Your cash was spent, and your licenses have been processed. On paper, your front is ready.)

Unfortunately, anything in your request to do with FEMA is going to have to go through FEMA, sorry. If they notify us that we should be concerned, we'll keep you in mind as an indpendent investigator. Thanks for your kind offer!

FEMA

Spoiler
    Show

We have no comment upon Peabody Labs at this time.

ICPD
    to Virtue [P]

Spoiler
    Show

"Well sir, for most matters involving metahuman conflicts or crimes, we fall under the jurisdiction and supervision of the Metahuman Response Bureau. They're always happy to back us up!"

Historical Society
    to Hardliners [E]

Spoiler
    Show

Ah, YOU'RE the people the super-pac promised would help. All right, sorry for the confusion.

They tell you that the Super-Pac should have the details of everything that was stolen, so you should be able to get the manifest and more information there.

As to the theft, it's fairly simple. The artifacts were stored in a standard safe room, to be catalogued when the archaeologists had the time to do so. Midway through the middle of sunday night, a guard noticed the air pressure alarm for that room going off.

It happens from time to time, so he didn't rush to get over there, but when he did, he found the room entirely empty, with no signs of forced entry, and the timestamp on the door showing no entry at all during the theft.

One door, the room was concrete lined with iron bars, and the only wires were the fluorescent light and the air pressure sensor. The police found no tracks or prints.

SCK
    to Hardliners [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

"@%!% man, what's the point of selling on our turf? Use your own. We're trying to get @%!#% out to more territory, not saturate our own."

Father Figure
    to Hardliners [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

Father Figure shrugs, and drinks his coffee. "Eh, not everything's clear to me yet my daughter. But it will be. It will be. Until then, have a little faith. It'll work out, and the unbelievers will be destroyed. And the meek, like you, shall inherit what's left of the Earth."

"Well, until its true masters come back anyway. No, I don't know what that's about yet either. Gimme time here, prophecy's harder than it looks on the tee vee."

Smith
    Core Competencies [PM]

Spoiler
    Show

The Smith goes in for his interview... Wow. The subway line to the Arcosphere is some super-advanced see-through material, that allows a beautiful view of the bay above the tunnel. The Core itself is just as impressive, high-tech sterile corridors, sweeping metal and glass panels, and tall electronic relay towers arrayed around it like spikes holding up an errant world...

He is ushered through several high-technology checkpoints, with guards holding nonlethal weaponry in evidence, and finally ends up in a chamber with a man in a dress shirt, no tie.

The man reviews his resume, and offers him a job. (Up to 2 actions required to be dedicated per turn. Pay is 2 cash per action.) "This project, however, will require the utmost secrecy. You'll be designing and building advanced circuitry in one of our laboratories, and you'll be able to take none of your work home with you. Once the project is complete, you will be credited as being one of the engineers who made history. I tell you now, this is going to be BIG."

Black Bloods
    to Hardliners [E]

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah we know what she wants too and the @%!% ain't gettin' it. No sale.

Boardwalk
    Hardliners [PM]

Spoiler
    Show

"Man, I said she can toss around TANKS. Her usual body is as big as an SUV. Be lucky if we can just run her off. But okay, you're here, you can help me look."

8-ball starts his drone sweep again, slowly moving through the neighborhoods of the Waterfront. He's already checked Boardwalk, leaving four to go. He loans you a sensor ball, that should help. Which neighborhood would you like to start with, and do you have any powers or traits that would help here?

(The first neighborhood searched is free, counted as part of your PM. After that, they'll start costing actions.)

Vorpal
    to Sergei [P]
    Spoiler
    Show

"Hmph. Well, perhaps a little backup might not be a bad idea. Fine, give me a number. If I text a location, that means I'll vant backup there, pronto. Payment proportionate to how much trouble the rescue requires. Sound good?"

Charlie
    Internal [PM]

Spoiler
    Show

Charlie starts moving through the slumsides. With grungy clothes and his bland features, nobody pays him any mind. A few toughs size him up, and reject him as not worth the effort.

One night, he hears a groaning of stressed metal, and traces a path through some junkie-laden back alleys, to see a kid wearing a suit of scrap metal, that looks like it's been jammed together. The kid has its hands on a parking meter, and is twisting it back and forth. Eventually, the kid squeezes its hand around the stalk of the meter, pinching it off as easily as picking a flower. One handed, the kid lifts the heavy meter like it weighs nothing.

So far the kid hasn't noticed Charlie.

(The Rotary club Fundraiser will go off at mid-turn. Drop me a note to remind me when we get there.)

City Hall
    to Ideal [P]

Spoiler
    Show

"No, it's entirely fine, please DO show up in costume! In fact, it'd be preferred! We need to get your brand out there son, make sure you're recognizable when you're out doing good! The more exposure, the better, makes the newsies happy."

Ideal
    Internal [PM]

Spoiler
    Show

Your techs pull a few all-nighters, and build a pair of Shock Gloves! Gonna assume that Avalon takes them for now, yeah?

Commissioner Rackham
    Golden Flock [PM]

Spoiler
    Show

The police chief listens quietly for a while, then clears his throat. "Well mister Eduard, the city appreciates your generosity. There's an appropriate charity set up through City Hall, you can go ahead through them to make sure everything's nice and aboveboard. Wouldn't want aspersions cast on either of us, really."

"As to the Park, I've been discussing things with the Mayor. Given your concern, on top of everything else, I believe that we'll ask the rangers to close the trails for this month. Of course, given the widespread range of the park, and the low budget for patrols in winter months, not to mention the snowstorms of late, we're not going to be able to blockade the place or anything like that. Not without a solid and serious reason."

Vault-a-Palooza [PM]
    (Foundation, Garren Gomar, Gilgamesh, Order of the Hand and Eye, Virtue)
    Spoiler
    Show

Professor Pyre peers through the window, turns and discusses things with Pierce, before opening the door. "Hm, sorry about that. Glad to see things sorted out and guns put away-"
    As the group playing dice rises from their kneeling positions, by SHEER CHANCE, Gilgamesh's elbow catches Gomar in the side. By SHEER CHANCE, Gomar's shoe slips in the dust of the floor, and he falls backward into the wall...

Which is flimsier than it appears.

Three iron bars fly loose and clang to the floor as concrete crumbles, and a large hole forms as he falls through... And disappears into the darkness.

There is a large hollow behind the wall, revealing a rough stone tunnel that looks almost like a meandering burrow, that comes up at an angle. Garren is out of sight, already rolling down, down into the tunnel...

Pursuing the errant investigator, the group clambers down the tunnel (with a hastily procured electric lantern by Professor Pyre, to find a moderate-sized, dug out cave filled with bones, large piles of dung, and five scattered crates, that have been levered open. Small statues, some broken, are scattered around the piles of dung. There are large holes lining the walls and floor of this cave, and from somewhere, the sound of something large breathing can be heard.

At the end of the cave, a tunnel curves out of sight...

Garren groans, as he heaves himself off the shattered remnants of a few statues. Ow.

(Garren Gomar is injured)

Heroes forum
    (Whole buncha hero folks) [E]

Spoiler
    Show

The notes on the Peabody labs situation seem to cause a stir among the participants. They're grateful for the update, but a little leery of getting close to a FEMA situation.

Finally, one person steps up.

[email protected]: I have some skill in tracking. If someone backs me up, I shall see what I can find, from a safe distance away from the FEMA picket line.

FEMA MEETING
    (Foundation, Ideal)

Spoiler
    Show

Carceri leans back in his chair, and folds his arms.

"How much funding? Mm. It'll be proportionate to your effect. If you turn in a report and are active on local issues, but don't achieve much, then you'll get [1 cash]. If you generate good headlines or make significant progress on a troublesome problem, you'll get [2 cash]. If you bust a major villain or accomplish something major, you'll get [3 cash]."

"So at the end of the day, not much. Consider it more of an incentive than a budget."

Swordpoint
    (Knight of Blades, Foundation, Ideal, Unseen Observers)

Spoiler
    Show

Vorpal stands. She's a thin woman in a grey fencer's jacket, a simple domino mask across her upper face, blonde hair whipping in the wind. She takes a firm grip on her sword, and studies the Knight carefully, barely paying attention to the stranger in the suit.

"You know vhat you call eight dead Black Bloods? A good start. You know I'm investigating. Do you know vhat I'm investigating? They grabbed a youth. He'll end up washing up headless on the coast like the others in a few weeks, if I don't find him. Do you really want to stop me, or do you want to stay out of my way and let me do my job?" The fencing foil does a lazy loop, and slices through a nearby stopsign with no effort at all. Half of it clatters to the ground, cleanly cut. "I haven't found anything or anyone yet my blades von't cut..."

She glances toward the suited man as he speaks.

"Help? Vhat kind of help are you offering, and vhy should I trust "heroes"?"

Aaand about that point, the sound of metal hitting metal is heard, as a man in red and blue plate armor comes jogging down the street. It's Avalon, one of the famed heroes of the Ideal!

Vorpal shakes her head. "Nope. Nope, nope nope." She sheathes her sword... Then rolls to the side, outthrusting her off hand! There's a "PAF!", and a line whirs out... "TCHK!" As her grapnel gun bites into one of the towers, and she starts swinging away, diving and retreating through the maze of alleys and towers! "PAF-TCHK!" "PAF-TCHK!" "PAF-TCHK!"

(She is attempting to retreat. If you wish to pursue, this shall be resolved in the mid-turn. First pursuit action is free.)

(Merlin, Mordecai, Order of the Hand and Eye)

Spoiler
    Show

The troll nods as bidding starts. "Guy with an eye symbol, [3 cash]. I hear four?"

Another call from the crowd, a nervous young man. The Troll grins. "Mordecai's student, [5 cash.] We got six?"

A man wearing a crooked cross steps forward. "Crossroads Club offers si-"

"Seven."

The crowd looks at the turbaned man in ceremonial robes.

"Paradigm for Seven." He glares around, and some of the crowd starts leaving.

The troll shrugs. "Paradigm for [7 cash.] We got 8?"

Meanwhile, a woman with one blue eye and one black eye sidles up between Merlin and Mordecai's apprentice, and rests her palms on both of their shoulders, her voice low as she murmurs.

Merlin and Mordecai
    Spoiler
    Show

"Well, that's worrisome," she whispers. You recognize her as one of Bastet's acolytes from your earlier visit to the Strays Welcome.

Lantern
    Internal [PM]

Spoiler
    Show

Yep, welcome to a charity clinic on the edge of the Outskirts!
    Last edited by Lost Demiurge; 2013-11-26 at 06:28 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Garren Gomar Rolling Down the Hill [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Ow. Ow ow ow.

You've got to be kidding me. Ow!"

As he's picking himself up, he manages to lodge some splinters in his hand, adding injury to injury.

"Gilgamesh, I'm holding you responsible for this, irrational as though that judgment might be, and will be expecting remuneration in the form of medical treatment. Also, I think I get the credit for figuring out the method of the crime. Ow.

Get the police here, and we'll need to find out where that tunnel leads. People with guns, lead the way."
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Knight of Blades

At Swordpoint PM (Ideal, Vorpal, Foundation)
    Spoiler
    Show
    I want to take the Blackbloods down as well, but I don't need to kill them to do so. And neither do you. Look, can we work together on this? If you promise to not kill anyone during our investigation, I'll help you out and make sure no one else interferes with your goal. KoB says, floating calmly in place.

Around then Avalon shows and Vorpal flees. KoB sighs and watches her flee, not bothering to chase after her. Hey Avalon, you've got some really bad timing you know that? KoB says before turning to the suited man. So why were you trying to track down Vorpal anyways?
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

26. - Top - End - #116

Gilgamesh in the Lair of the Vault Beast (History Museum) [PM]

Spoiler
    Show
    "Sorry! I'm not a Doctor and I have no money! The best I could do would be amputating something and then smearing the stump with alcohol and honey and I don't think you want that!"
    He gets a bit more serious as he hears the heavy breathing and his voice approaches what might almost be a whisper.
    "Right", he says, waving the rest of the group closer to him. "This thing is big. Anyone unarmed, back to the vault, into the museum. Get the wounded man and close the door. Everyone else, behind me. If anyone got any spare guns, hand me one. Someone call in reinforcements. We are not opening fire yet, it might not be hostile, but keep your weapons drawn and safeties off. Trigger discipline. If whatever this is is larger than, say, a bear and it is attacking, shoot. If it's not, I'll take it."

Gilgamesh and the Black Bloods [PM]

Spoiler
    Show
    Gilgamesh gives the guards his laziest, most insolent grin as he lifts his hands to show he is unarmed.
    "Good Afternoon, everyone. You should work on your insults. A lone "fool" is not very expressive. Not even a single adjective. Let me demonstrate a better example: "insecure half-wit working for a petty gang coasting on its reputation". See? That's much better."
    The smile continues as he leans on the fence and winks at the guard.
    "There's fifteen of you and one of me. You have guns. I'm unarmed. And I'm not scared or impressed.
    My name is Gilgamesh. I'm here to propose a deal. I'd like to buy the Rustbelt."

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Golden Flock

Actions [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

Fixing Dixie

Maintenance Crews 3: Fixing stuff at Slumside
    Database: Icon City -> my people know what to expect from Bad Bloods & Watchman
    Morale 6: My men are not shaking in their boots and willing to take intelligent risks above their job.

I’ve got 3 Followers on the job so I believe it’s more then enough to get job done.

1. Extra men would allow them to quietly observe the situation and check out any secret locations. Hopefully nobody notices a maintenance man of ServiCo, just fixing da pipes.
    2. Support Ratson's crew - food, warmth, protection
    3. I’m also using them to pass message to Watchman (see below)

Where the Bodies are Buried

Ratson’s Crew 2 - Back in Action
    Seagulls: support, aerial observation and if needed transportation/evac
    Database: Icon City 1 (Bad Bloods habits)
    Morale 6: a bit risky plan so go Morale…
    [Hidden Places]: bodies don’t disappear into thin air. They are brought somewhere.
    [Maitenance Crews]: I’ve got men working in Slumside, who can act as support/pass information. Plus they can arrange for food and warmth for my animal minions to recover their strength, when needed.

The way I see it, it’s a matter of shot time, till a dead body shows up - whether it’s Bad Bloods, Vorpal or something else. And Bad Bloods always make the bodies disappear. I’d say it wouldn’t be suspicious, if rats get attracted to corpses - and if a rat hides somewhere on the body - even if discovered, it’ll be assumed to be just a dumb animal scavenger. I’d prefer for my agent rats to disengage before the final destination - since I suspect the body would be destroyed.

I want to discover what Bad Bloods do with the bodies of their enemies. Also - if possible check out that flat, where the bad boy was kidnapped from and memorize the sents & see if they can be tracked.

Watchman [PM?]
    Spoiler
    Show

''Hey there. My boss was wondering if we could arrange a trade. He’s interested in any information of Bad Bloods - in exchange, anything he finds that can be used against them, he’ll pass on to you. With Vorpal chopping off their heads, you have a chance to take Slumside, if things play right...''
    Last edited by Thelonius; 2013-11-26 at 08:28 PM.
    I saw humans get on fine without power for millennia. You used to hunt and gather, what happened to that?

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Through The Tunnel We Will Go (Foundation, Garren Gomar, Gilgamesh, Order of the Hand and Eye, Virtue) PM
    Show

"Hey Professor, these the stolen artifacts?" the female asks, picking up a mostly intact statue.

"Whatever made that pile's still here, and if you're right about its abilities, we aren't equipped to take it on." the male says, drawing his gun.

As Gilgamesh barks out orders the female says, "Oh look, he can talk normally." drawing out her handgun.

Spoiler: Swordpoint (Knight of Blades, Ideal, Unseen Observers)
    Show

"Orders" he replies, sighing, unlocking the belt and folding it up.

"Looks like we'll have to find out who exactly was kidnapped." he continues, placing the belt into his suit.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

The Trifecta

East Temple Meeting[PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

Mara smiled and bowed deeply before speaking, this guy was no joke.
    "Indeed thats my name Sir....excuse my uh....being here without having notified you, but i doubt saying over the mail that i seek to speak with someone of our nature would be wise".

Infernal's cant be trusted, they can only be trusted to not be trusted, and for Mara that holds double true, but a deal is a deal and this deal is a risk she is willing to take, besides if the guy doesn't keep his deal.....well he would lose all business, so perhaps she can trust him to keep the deal at least, but she is sure he will pick something she will hate.

Well it was time to give a small bait and hope for the best deal....if such a thing is possible.
    "Heh no offence, but i almost wish this was a social call, i am indeed here for......a deal, i seek power as most i suppose to grow stronger, what would you want from me in return for such a...boon?, i kinda doubt you would need wealth considering this....whole place".

She dint like the place, but that might be instead the fact that the other demon can intimidate her by presence alone, its a troublesome situation to be sure.

"Although i do know the location of the current Locus in the park, in return for a minor boon perhaps i could tell you?, i also have some....eh 'friends' who can potentially destroy it....should you wish to...deny it from someone else".

Mordecai Carter[Email]
    Spoiler
    Show

Greetings Sir
    We are interested in some of the magic items we hear you are selling, do you have a catalog for them?
    In case you wonder if we truly know about magic, well did you notice the Locus from the park?

-M

Internal[PM]
    Spoiler
    Show

Any and all cultists watching the park are to retreat right now from there as clandestine as possible.
    There will be another chance another day for a perhaps literal Bloodbath.

Does Mara know the guy from somewhere?....for he knows her.....its her Father =O XD.....nah just joking.....did i just tempt the fates?
    Last edited by Orbiter; 2013-11-26 at 07:01 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Knight of Blades

Swordpoint PM (Foundation, Ideal)
    Spoiler
    Show
    A 17 year old kid named Rick Brady. I don't know his relation to Vorpal if anything.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.