New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gamer

1. - Top - End - #391
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    ...Hard to summarize (it's similar to ToG that way). In a world (worlds) of gods, demons/Sura, and magic, a girl's village is destroyed and she's plunged into the midst of a vast, mysterious web of conflict. I recommend it as well.
    I did start reading it. So far it's pretty good.

Heh heh heh.... 'butterface'. I wonder if that's the translator or the actual author putting that in. It always amuses me when people in different languages try to include slang expressions from English, although at least this one is used correctly.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Banned

New comic. Is it just me, or is this starting to feel slow and draggy again?

3. - Top - End - #393
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Pacing seems about right to me, maybe not for a week to week thing, but as a whole I'd expect these chapters to fit the flow nicely.

I mean he's just learning and training some skills, and now they're setting up some potential issues(mother being missing) to allow him a bit more freedom in his movements to set-up for something bigger(staying out all night training in ID's, maybe training in the house now, or going on a night patrol).

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ettin in the Playground

New comic. Is it just me, or is this starting to feel slow and draggy again?
    Feels exactly the opposite to me. Everybody seems to be circling around Black Summoner now and the stage is set for a major conflict.

If, as evidence continues to suggest, the mother is the Existence Eater, and her absence is realized, I think we're about to see a full fledged war break out.

The way everything has been set up I kind of anticipate the story going something like this:

Jee-Han seeks out the Daughter out somewhere to try and use his new Remove Curse on her. He may succeed or fail, kind of irrelevant. Black Summoner is going to show up as he is doing this.

Then, one of the A-rank threats the loli/wolf combo mentioned will show up and throw down with the Summoner. I expect Summoner to win, but be weakened. Then the Yunhon are going to sieze the chance to mount their attack on him.

Jee-Han will probably grab the daughter and try to take her to a safe place (the Chunbumoon). Yunhon clan follow him and demand the girl or Jee-Han (if they saw him helping her or Black Summoner), maybe even both. Chunbumoon will refuse, and this might cause a full-on battle between the Chunbumoon and the Yunhon.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2014-07-03 at 09:51 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Banned

Jee-Han doesn't do the whole 'seek people out' thing, though. He grinds XP and reacts to quest/event flags. I'd love for that to change, because then this will be a real story.

Also, new comic.
    Last edited by Math_Mage; 2014-07-11 at 12:04 AM.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Ya, not much to say about this one. Yay more grinding with friends. He has started to use his items though, so I'm guessing he'll use the invisibility hat to move around now to avoid the mana hunters and what not.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

at this point am starting to think he should have been a fighter
    My Class is Artificer ... "I see the secret patterns of magic, and through the items I carry, I can use that magic to protect you, heal you... or make you explode."

8. - Top - End - #398
    Troll in the Playground

Jee-Han doesn't do the whole 'seek people out' thing, though. He grinds XP and reacts to quest/event flags. I'd love for that to change, because then this will be a real story.

Also, new comic.
    Jee-han kinda lampshaded that in the newest comic, so there's hope yet!
    Last edited by SlyGuyMcFly; 2014-07-11 at 03:33 PM.
    Truth resists simplicity.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

Also, new comic.
    Agree with you on that.. the grinding is starting to get a little bit boring.

And am i the only one who thinks the rapid leveling of the cousin kinda devalues the level concept?

Like at the start BS seemed intimidating with his high level, but now we have people getting close to that level solely though timewarped instance grinding.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

10. - Top - End - #400
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post

And am i the only one who thinks the rapid leveling of the cousin kinda devalues the level concept?

Like at the start BS seemed intimidating with his high level, but now we have people getting close to that level solely though timewarped instance grinding.
    Absolutely. If entities can go up 6 levels in a couple weeks, then most of the entities are much further from the level cap then the author tried to make it sound.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Banned

Well, since then we've also found out that overall level doesn't really mean very much in comparison with individual skills.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Colossus in the Playground

Unlike Jee-han, ability users usually can't learn techniques just by grinding in Illusion Barriers, nor can they acquire items. All they can do is practice things they already know.

This means that a balanced training regimen would have to be a lot more complex than IB grinding. People would have to buy skill books (which are very expensive) and study them thoroughly in order to gain new skills. Then they would have to practice those skills on weak opponents that give no XP (since they're not yet good enough at using the skill to fight level-appropriate enemies). Finally, they would have to do jobs in order to earn the money they need to buy skill books and magic items.

Levelling up is also going to be a lot easier for someone who can tap the vast resources of a clan like Chunbumoon (including the high-speed IBs, lots of skill books and items, and stacks of cash) while simultaneously not having to perform any administrative or management tasks within the clan.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2014-07-12 at 07:01 PM.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Dwarf in the Playground

You know, I like how he is actually respectful of the summoned Elemental. I mean, he gives orders during combat like any field leader should, but in a peaceful situation he asks if she is okay with being hugged instead of just deciding by himself if Sae-Young can do so.

I wonder if that will eventually backfire. He summoned Non/Gnome to be his tank, but will he feel bad and intervene if she is getting in trouble trying to protect him? Or would the Gamer Mind allow him to act coldly and escape (though he could feel guilty later)? Then, of course, are the questions about if a destroyed summon recuperates over time and if the whole soul-link business means something bad happens to him if the summon is destroyed...

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

Sadly, this is common in most MMORPG, you have to grind and level before you are allowed to get to the good stuff.

Heck, even in RPGs, Dragon Warrior 1 is a great example. You start out with money for good armor and crap weapon or vice versa. You have to grind till you can afford both good stuff and can safely travel from town without much resting.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

Well, since then we've also found out that overall level doesn't really mean very much in comparison with individual skills.
    And that goes all the way back around to devaluing the level concept..

I wonder if that will eventually backfire. He summoned Non/Gnome to be his tank, but will he feel bad and intervene if she is getting in trouble trying to protect him? Or would the Gamer Mind allow him to act coldly and escape (though he could feel guilty later)? Then, of course, are the questions about if a destroyed summon recuperates over time and if the whole soul-link business means something bad happens to him if the summon is destroyed...
    Im pretty sure the Gamer mind would allow him to remain calm in the situation. Thats actually one of the things i like about him the best, unlike so many other shonen heroes he is ruled less by emotion and more by logic.

Sadly, this is common in most MMORPG, you have to grind and level before you are allowed to get to the good stuff.

Heck, even in RPGs, Dragon Warrior 1 is a great example. You start out with money for good armor and crap weapon or vice versa. You have to grind till you can afford both good stuff and can safely travel from town without much resting.
    And sadly that does not make it any less boring to watch...
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

16. - Top - End - #406
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

And that goes all the way back around to devaluing the level concept..
    Sort of. The concept is already meaningless outside of his ability(everyone else uses tiers and he has this other abstraction strictly related to his ability). Feels like it's more of a hint system of how likely you are to be able to beat something vs a strict measure of power. The levels mean a lot more to Jee Han because that's how he easily improves his stats, while to everyone else it's just sort of a reflection of how their training. People have already been shown to have higher stats then their levels would predict, so I'd probably think of it as more of an indication of combat ability then anything else, so the level raises are congruent with the fact everyone around him is doing some hefty training and as such their combat prowess is growing, so to is their level.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Banned

I don't think the leveling is a problem. If anything, I think the incongruency between (for example) Black Summoner's scary reputation and his not-so-scary initial level could have interesting story implications if properly explored, either as a function of Jee-Han's level mechanic or of Black Summoner's character.

What I want is for Jee-Han to have goals beyond 'level up'.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post

It's fine in actual games. In other forms of medium there are story telling tools available to make the grindy bits with no plot pass faster or skip them all together. It's important to show the protagonist's growth both as a character, and in power...but chapters with no plot movement and simple grinding at this point in the story is verging on bad writing.

It's still good overall, but if the plot doesn't pick up at some point the story will eventually suffer.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't think the leveling is a problem. If anything, I think the incongruency between (for example) Black Summoner's scary reputation and his not-so-scary initial level could have interesting story implications if properly explored, either as a function of Jee-Han's level mechanic or of Black Summoner's character.
    Indeed. While other characters might be able to feel someone's energy or something like that, there are usually ways to hide from that and so it is not super reliable. Thus it is feasible that, for all his reputation, the Black Summoner is something of a paper tiger. On the other hand, he might have the equivalent of a super high level summoning skill that is not reflected in his personal level (say, it turns out he can summon beings of level 120, despite his personal level being much lower, but he usually doesn't do that because last time he did so he couldn't control the thing and his daughter paid the price).

Or maybe the Chunbumoon are really evolving much faster than anyone expects due to special methods (what guarantees that everyone else also has access to time-differential training areas?). Though if there is nothing particularly special about them compared to other similarly important clans and organizations, I do think the author is making them level-up too fast. I mean, his friend took years to get to the level he was when Jee-Han first saw it, and now he has leveled a lot in such a short amount of time? Unless there is something weird going on, I think the author effed up*

Anyway, between seeing levels and titles and the Observe skill, the protagonist can gather information about people's capacities more easily, reliably and possibly more accurately (depending on how well the Levels reflect people's power) than anyone we have seen so far.

* To tell the truth, I wish a superior writer was doing this, starting from the exact same premise but doing better in various little things that are starting to pile up and slowing bringing down my interest in this webtoon

20. - Top - End - #410
    Banned

They did get their butt's whupped recently. It's a fairly common shonen trope for someone to get beaten, and then up their training for a sudden increase in power. We can just apply numbers to it in this manga.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sum1won View Post
    Absolutely. If entities can go up 6 levels in a couple weeks, then most of the entities are much further from the level cap then the author tried to make it sound.
    On the contrary, ability users that are not Jee-Han should be EXPECTED to suddenly gain large amounts of power in a short time (punctuated by extended periods of time at the same level).

Think about it. Unless they are grinding with Jee-Han, they are not getting experience, levels, or power the way that he is.

So, their level is literally nothing more than a power estimate generated by Jee-Han's ability.

When a character masters a new skill or ability, and hence gets a large power boost (especially something like the Meditation, which increases their stats), that new power level is represented by their 'level' increasing, even though they haven't gained experience and leveled up as Jee-Han has. I would be surprised if they DIDN'T gain multiple levels almost instantly.

We haven't seen the cousin in some time in-comic. So it does not surprise me at all that she has completed some kind of ability training regimen that increased her power. This power growth is reflected in the level that Jee-Han can see.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2014-07-14 at 09:22 AM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

22. - Top - End - #412

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    On the contrary, ability users that are not Jee-Han should be EXPECTED to suddenly gain large amounts of power in a short time (punctuated by extended periods of time at the same level).

Think about it. Unless they are grinding with Jee-Han, they are not getting experience, levels, or power the way that he is.

So, their level is literally nothing more than a power estimate generated by Jee-Han's ability.

When a character masters a new skill or ability, and hence gets a large power boost (especially something like the Meditation, which increases their stats), that new power level is represented by their 'level' increasing, even though they haven't gained experience and leveled up as Jee-Han has. I would be surprised if they DIDN'T gain multiple levels almost instantly.

We haven't seen the cousin in some time in-comic. So it does not surprise me at all that she has completed some kind of ability training regimen that increased her power. This power growth is reflected in the level that Jee-Han can see.
    Perhaps, but we should expect to see this much less frequently than we currently do. (she's not the only one who has suddenly grown in level) We haven't seen her in a couple of months at most (my impression it has been much less than that) - if she gets this much stronger every few months, then she could have gotten there by training for only the last couple years. You can point to the 10:1 time dilator, but unless they've only recently developed it, that doesn't actually change the argument.
    Last edited by sum1won; 2014-07-14 at 09:38 AM.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Banned

On the other hand, according to the most recent comic, training martial arts doesn't lead to level gain, so maybe level is more a reflection of fighting experience.

(Also, *groan* at yet another grind update.)

24. - Top - End - #414
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Grinding doesn't even get me down so much as this one just sort of seems like the author is stalling for time as they figure out what they're doing. I mean the big revelation is that he's a wizard...and he's been doing mana manipulation, healing, learning magic, and learning summoning for a while now, so why he hasn't figured out he's a wizard yet is beyond me.

Also for having a high int he seems kind of blind to some basic combinations which is weird(the mana drain skill and bind is a perfect combination that he hasn't tried to do yet(Has he even used the skill book?). Same with just about any sort of elemental magic and any of his mana skills). Just seems to be missing so many obvious things and is just doing the same old same old. I wouldn't mind the grinding so much if there was at least some growth to his understanding of what he was doing(back when he back up with mana shield and bind was still interesting even if it was just straight grinding).

25. - Top - End - #415

On the other hand, according to the most recent comic, training martial arts doesn't lead to level gain, so maybe level is more a reflection of fighting experience.

(Also, *groan* at yet another grind update.)
    I like grinding updates, but this wasn't one. It wasn't even an update. It's like... nothing was said. :/

If he trains, at least put some number crunching and growth there. This is like... whatever. :(
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

26. - Top - End - #416
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Mormegil View Post
    I like grinding updates, but this wasn't one. It wasn't even an update. It's like... nothing was said. :/

If he trains, at least put some number crunching and growth there. This is like... whatever. :(
    I think there's a useful distinction to be made between grinding and theorycrafting. Most of the interesting stuff that happens when Jee-Han trains is from the latter. I agree otherwise, though.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoa View Post
    Grinding doesn't even get me down so much as this one just sort of seems like the author is stalling for time as they figure out what they're doing. I mean the big revelation is that he's a wizard...and he's been doing mana manipulation, healing, learning magic, and learning summoning for a while now, so why he hasn't figured out he's a wizard yet is beyond me.

Also for having a high int he seems kind of blind to some basic combinations which is weird(the mana drain skill and bind is a perfect combination that he hasn't tried to do yet(Has he even used the skill book?). Same with just about any sort of elemental magic and any of his mana skills). Just seems to be missing so many obvious things and is just doing the same old same old. I wouldn't mind the grinding so much if there was at least some growth to his understanding of what he was doing(back when he back up with mana shield and bind was still interesting even if it was just straight grinding).
    It's less that he suddenly figure it out, and more that he's finally decided to go all-in on the idea. He's wondered before about whether he should get more survivability or physical abilities. Looks like he's decided to go 100% at the magical angle.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

28. - Top - End - #418
    Banned

And now he's going all-in with the Int angle. (And recapping things we already know...and wasting so much fluff time what is this i don't even )

29. - Top - End - #419
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Recap seems kind of weird(but specifically spelt out what Wisdom does, so eh), but I think the writer is trying to set-up the Chunbunmoon as a measuring stick of power for the future fights. Spending a lot of times trying to make it very obvious they aren't weak or normal by general power measures, but are a little exceptional, so that when they go down you know that stuff just got real.

Otherwise, yay new powers, and for having such a genius reaction it was a really simple plan...I was almost hoping he'd use mana to create like an exo-suit for himself or something to increase his other stats to put him into SAD(Single Attribute Dependent) category. Stuff like mana legs to help him run faster, mana arms to help him lift things, etc.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Dwarf in the Playground

Huh, after he talked about Wisdom, I expected him to increase his own, since it is pretty low.

Anyway, before he didn't really seem all that smart despite the high INT. Great at tests with a little studying and good at manipulating Mana, but his actual plans and ideas were not particularly inspired. I wonder if the author will actually show him being ridiculously smart now that his Intelligence is through the roof.

Also, for other people the capacity to choose how you will improve by leveling up while training with Jee-Han must seem amazing.

By the way, he now has more than enough INT to learn that other Chunbumoon super-skill that required 90+ INT. I wonder if he will ask to learn it and if so, will they let him?