New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gamer

1. - Top - End - #361
    Banned

Default Re: The Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Probably, but are you willing to risk it just to look at boobies?
    a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ettin in the Playground

Probably, but are you willing to risk it just to look at boobies?
    Given that Jee-Han is, in fact, still a high school boy, I'm pretty sure the answer to that question is an unequivocal 'yes'.

Also, new chapter out.

Spoiler
    Show
    He goes through his skills and decides he's going to put points in defensive attributes.

The hint dropping that the mother is Existence Eater continue to pile up. Jee-Han realizes she isn't home, and then immediately runs across a group of weaker guys attacking Red Hair, who pointedly say they have to finish her before the Existence Eater comes back.

She appears to be kicking their asses, though.

If I had to guess, they're probably just fodder sent out to lull her into false confidence and lure her into the illusion barrier, and one (or more) of their clan higher-ups are about to show up for the real fight.

Which kind of brings up a number of questions.

Namely, what exactly is the relationship between the Chunbumoon and the Yunhon clans? We haven't really gotten much exposition on what, exactly, they think of each other, just that they are both in the area, and that at some point in the past they have traded some techniques.

Are they allies? Rivals? Friendly neighbors? Clans on the edge of war and only kept back by the Existence Eater?

Given his close association with the Chunbumoon, Jee-Han's presence in the fight might have further reaching implications than he's thinking of currently.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2014-06-12 at 11:14 AM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Chapter 42 is up.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm.

Spoiler
    Show
    It seems like his stats are a bit on the low side compared to hers; she has very high Str, Agi, and Vit, despite being only a few levels above him. Presumably this is because martial arts training involves doing a lot to raise your stats, more than just raising your XP, whereas his training has focused heavily on XP.

Also, he's gotten a lot of earth techniques pretty quickly -- I don't think we were shown him working those out? Which seems a bit odd, given how much attention the comic gives to each other technique he learns, but perhaps it's because they're really his element's skills and not his.

I wonder how she'll react to discovering he knows Yunhon Recovery? It's supposed to be a secret technique of her clan, after all.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2014-06-19 at 09:00 PM.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Hmm.

Spoiler
    Show
    It seems like his stats are a bit on the low side compared to hers; she has very high Str, Agi, and Vit, despite being only a few levels above him. Presumably this is because martial arts training involves doing a lot to raise your stats, more than just raising your XP, whereas his training has focused heavily on XP.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Could be. It could also be that she is operating on a completely different system than he is, and what he's seeing is an interpretation or conversion of her stats into his system. I think some of us are being too quick to assume the rest of the world works on the gamer rules too. The way I've read it so far is that his power is simply working in a way that is 'comfortable' to him, more of an interface than how things really work.

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, he's gotten a lot of earth techniques pretty quickly -- I don't think we were shown him working those out? Which seems a bit odd, given how much attention the comic gives to each other technique he learns, but perhaps it's because they're really his elemental's skills and not his.
    Bold emphasis mine, and that's how I'm reading it.

Spoiler
    Show
    I wonder how she'll react to discovering he knows Yunhon Recovery? It's supposed to be a secret technique of her clan, after all.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I doubt too much - it's a "secret technique" they've shared with a clan she knows he's affiliated with. However she might be VERY interested in where he's getting all those soul shards, given that she apparently burns her own soul to empower herself.

I'm actually more interested in the notion that hers is a newer clan, and what shrubs like those 3 were doing with such expensive weapons.
    Last edited by TheEmerged; 2014-06-20 at 11:30 AM.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmerged View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Could be. It could also be that she is operating on a completely different system than he is, and what he's seeing is an interpretation or conversion of her stats into his system. I think some of us are being too quick to assume the rest of the world works on the gamer rules too. The way I've read it so far is that his power is simply working in a way that is 'comfortable' to him, more of an interface than how things really work.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, either way. Presumably when his powers read her as "high stats compared to her level", it means something, perhaps just that she's physically tougher, faster, and stronger than you would expect given her skills (which are still pretty high themselves, of course, though she seem to be suffering the Worf effect at the moment.)

Although since everyone he has analyzed has had higher stats than their levels would indicate, including the non-ability-user smart girl in his class, it could be that we should be looking at him instead -- perhaps he was just a particularly average guy at first, whereas most non-natural ability-users started out exceptional in some way, otherwise they wouldn't have succeeded at learning their abilities so well.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2014-06-20 at 01:38 PM.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

huh new power

I wonder what he will get next
    My Class is Artificer ... "I see the secret patterns of magic, and through the items I carry, I can use that magic to protect you, heal you... or make you explode."

8. - Top - End - #368
    Banned

I'm just glad we're finally getting a bit of plot movement. The concept if neat, and the world building is good...but a story can't survive on just that.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm just glad we're finally getting a bit of plot movement. The concept if neat, and the world building is good...but a story can't survive on just that.
    I wouldn't count on that much "movement". He just gained his first true enemy, but they look like mooks to be crushed in his rise to power more than anything.
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

10. - Top - End - #370
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Mormegil View Post
    I wouldn't count on that much "movement". He just gained his first true enemy, but they look like mooks to be crushed in his rise to power more than anything.
    While you are probably right, given the general pacing of the comic, those guys probably have some pretty decent backing. Those curse daggers seemed well above their "pay grade" so to speak, especially considering that the Gamer's ability seems abnormally good at getting money and magical items and he has yet to get his hands on something that valuable from what I remember, despite being higher level than those dudes.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Banned

I was more referring to the fact that he's finally interacting with mystery girl from the very beginning of the story after 35 chapters.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ettin in the Playground

I really hate Mangacow, it keeps crashing my phone's browser.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, a new RAW chapter is out.

And things go from bad to worse.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeburn View Post
    Well, a new RAW chapter is out.

And things go from bad to worse.
    Not sure exactly what gives you that impression. Basically he's perving on her most of the chapter, and my friend that reads some Korean says that he mentioned Black Summoner's daughter at the end and that's why she's pissed (he's messed with me before though so don't take that as hard translation).

Not really a terrible situation yet though, she's pissed but she's REALLY dumb, he should be able to talk his way out of this easily.

Or his mother is going to come home, Red Hair recognizes her, and books it fast.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2014-06-26 at 11:19 AM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Banned

Scanlation out. It was Yunhon recovery that he mentioned at the end.

tsun tsun dere dere

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    Scanlation out. It was Yunhon recovery that he mentioned at the end.

tsun tsun dere dere
    Guess he was just screwing with me then. He does that sometimes.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

17. - Top - End - #377
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

you would think his new skill would help him
    My Class is Artificer ... "I see the secret patterns of magic, and through the items I carry, I can use that magic to protect you, heal you... or make you explode."

18. - Top - End - #378
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, so this chapter didn't really advance the plot but it had a whole bunch of really funny moments. What's the deal with Jee-Han complaining about how the red-head (forgot her name ) talks? The scalation I'm reading doesn't do anything wierd with her speech patterns that I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by Venom3053000 View Post
    you would think his new skill would help him
    I guess he needs to level it up some more
    Truth resists simplicity.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    Okay, so this chapter didn't really advance the plot but it had a whole bunch of really funny moments. What's the deal with Jee-Han complaining about how the red-head (forgot her name ) talks? The scalation I'm reading doesn't do anything wierd with her speech patterns that I can see.

Again, coming from my buddy that speaks Korean, so take it with a grain of salt.

But like Japanese, I guess Korean has different... let's call it 'dialects'. Where they are both speaking Korean and can understand each other, they'll use different words and expressions. Some of the dialects are considered rude or old-fashioned to people that speak the most common one. Red Hair is using a different dialect from Jee-Han, and like in Japanese, this difference is extremely difficult to translate into written English.

It has been described to me as somebody from England talking to somebody from the Deep South in the US. Technically both of them are speaking English, but the words, expressions, and pronunciation of words are radically different.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2014-06-27 at 08:17 AM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Welp, so much for my belief it wouldn't be a big deal for her to find out he knew that power...
    • Talk less; say more.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    But like Japanese, I guess Korean has different... let's call it 'dialects'. Where they are both speaking Korean and can understand each other, they'll use different words and expressions. Some of the dialects are considered rude or old-fashioned to people that speak the most common one. Red Hair is using a different dialect from Jee-Han, and like in Japanese, this difference is extremely difficult to translate into written English.

It has been described to me as somebody from England talking to somebody from the Deep South in the US. Technically both of them are speaking English, but the words, expressions, and pronunciation of words are radically different.
    Gotcha. Makes perfect sense to me since the dialect-slash-accent of Spanish I speak tends to draw similar comments from other Spaniards.
    Truth resists simplicity.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ettin in the Playground

I was going to say -- apparently he needs to level up that danger-sense skill a bit more.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    I was going to say -- apparently he needs to level up that danger-sense skill a bit more.
    The problem being that you'd have to put yourself in lots of dangerous situations in order to level it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmerged View Post
    Welp, so much for my belief it wouldn't be a big deal for her to find out he knew that power...
    It still might not be once he explains that he's affiliated with her allied clan.

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post

It does advance the plot more than normal though since it's establishing a relationship between him what is probably going to be one of the main characters. So while it's not exactly plot heavy, at least it's more than "hey look at this new L1 skill I'll never use!"

24. - Top - End - #384
    Banned

The problem being that you'd have to put yourself in lots of dangerous situations in order to level it.
    Nah, you just have to approach dangerous situations.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Banned

But it's a warning system, so in theory you'd have to approach dangerous situations without prior knowledge they were dangerous.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ettin in the Playground

It still might not be once he explains that he's affiliated with her allied clan.

It does advance the plot more than normal though since it's establishing a relationship between him what is probably going to be one of the main characters. So while it's not exactly plot heavy, at least it's more than "hey look at this new L1 skill I'll never use!"
    As I said earlier, it's not at all clear that they are allies. All we really know is that they are the 2 major clans in this area, and they occasionally exchange techniques.

They could be on the edge of war, trying to take total control of the area/city, and only held back by the Existence Eater, for all we know. Their exchange of techniques could have been just them trying to get an advantage over the other and thinking they could master the other clan's techniques faster.

Given how pissed she looks right now, I'm guessing that while yes, they did give a copy of their techniques to the Chunbumoon, they most certainly did NOT authorize them to distribute that further.

Since he did save her life I think he may be able to talk his way out of this one, though.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2014-06-28 at 08:38 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

27. - Top - End - #387
    Banned

You could be right. We'll just have to wait and see.

By the way Olinser, have you tried Kubera? Given that you like ToG and this, I think you might enjoy it.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

He should use his new speed to dodge cars, thus leveling his danger sense.
    Won't that work?
    Or does it need to be situations not objects?

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ettin in the Playground

You could be right. We'll just have to wait and see.

By the way Olinser, have you tried Kubera? Given that you like ToG and this, I think you might enjoy it.
    Never heard of it. Right now the Korean webcomics that I follow are this one, Tower of God, Noblesse, and Ability. (Noblesse and Ability are by the same authors actually).

Whats the basic topic?

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

30. - Top - End - #390
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Never heard of it. Right now the Korean webcomics that I follow are this one, Tower of God, Noblesse, and Ability. (Noblesse and Ability are by the same authors actually).

Whats the basic topic?
    ...Hard to summarize (it's similar to ToG that way). In a world (worlds) of gods, demons/Sura, and magic, a girl's village is destroyed and she's plunged into the midst of a vast, mysterious web of conflict. I recommend it as well.