The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 510 of 1166

Thread: The Gamer

  1. - Top - End - #481
    Banned
     
    Math_Mage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Gamer

    Mngacow's translation says "the" Existence Eater. I dunno which translation is the speed translation.

    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    You mean more confirmation she is not?

    We have people here who appears to be rather well informed, and who continues to call the Existence Eater he.

    Though it does of course confuse the issue a little when we have someone talking about it as if there were more than one.
    The timing matters more to me than the pronoun.
    Last edited by Math_Mage; 2014-08-14 at 05:41 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #482
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Aquillion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore

    Default Re: The Gamer

    Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    Mngacow's translation says "the" Existence Eater. I dunno which translation is the speed translation.
    As far as I know, Mngacow is the only one still translating it. They call it "an" existence eater at one point, when Lifeless Spirit says "Would you like to fight with an Existence Eater?"

    It could just be a translation error, but another possibility is that it's a term for a particular kind of ability, which only one person has at the moment. Therefore, people call him the Existence Eater (because he's the only one around right now), but it would also be accurate to call him an Existence Eater; it's a title, not a name.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2014-08-14 at 06:56 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #483
    Banned
     
    Math_Mage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Gamer

    Ah. This page has "an" as reference. This one has "the" as reference. As you say, they're compatible.

  4. - Top - End - #484
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Olinser's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Gamer

    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    You mean more confirmation she is not?

    We have people here who appears to be rather well informed, and who continues to call the Existence Eater he.

    Though it does of course confuse the issue a little when we have someone talking about it as if there were more than one.
    Pulling the 'LOL SUPERPOWERED PERSON THEY'RE SCARED OF IS ACTUALLY A WOMAN' is so common in manga it borders on the cliche. Especially since the author seems to be going to great lengths to not definitively identify them.

    Also, 'he' is a generic term that is used to refer to somebody when you have no idea who/what a person is.

    Right now, the mother is the only local ability user we have seen that is not affiliated with either of the clans apart from Black Summoner and those working for him/hunting for him. Until we see another local ??? person, the mother is pretty much the only candidate, especially since TWO different characters have mentioned specifically that the Existence Eater was temporarily gone, immediately after the author rather blatantly showed the mother had left the area.

    ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

    I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

  5. - Top - End - #485
    Titan in the Playground
     
    lord_khaine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default Re: The Gamer

    Pulling the 'LOL SUPERPOWERED PERSON THEY'RE SCARED OF IS ACTUALLY A WOMAN' is so common in manga it borders on the cliche. Especially since the author seems to be going to great lengths to not definitively identify them.
    We already have the Witch of Slaughter to fill that slot, and there were newer made a very large part out of her being a woman.
    For that matter its a rather old trope, and i cant recall having seen it for quite a while, i cant understand why you think it should suddenly show up now.

    Also, 'he' is a generic term that is used to refer to somebody when you have no idea who/what a person is.
    Yes, but its only us who dont have an idea of who the eater is, everyone else seems to have a very clear idea of the Eaters powers and history, he isnt some mysterious cloaked figure living in a isolated glass tower, he is a person with a regular day job in the human world.

    Right now, the mother is the only local ability user we have seen that is not affiliated with either of the clans apart from Black Summoner and those working for him/hunting for him. Until we see another local ??? person, the mother is pretty much the only candidate, especially since TWO different characters have mentioned specifically that the Existence Eater was temporarily gone, immediately after the author rather blatantly showed the mother had left the area.
    And what law are saying that the Eater have to be someone we have already meet before?
    It has already been made painfully clear for us that there are still tons of ability users in the town that we know nothing about, and its even more common in manga's that powerfull or important figures gets some sort of build up in the story before they get revealed.

    edit.
    Reading closer though the comic, then Lifeless Spirit, who actually had his planned ruined by the Existence Eater, and apperently had a close escape from him, continues to comment on how he is going to "Kill that guy".
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2014-08-15 at 07:22 AM.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

  6. - Top - End - #486
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Olinser's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Gamer

    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    We already have the Witch of Slaughter to fill that slot, and there were newer made a very large part out of her being a woman.
    For that matter its a rather old trope, and i cant recall having seen it for quite a while, i cant understand why you think it should suddenly show up now.



    Yes, but its only us who dont have an idea of who the eater is, everyone else seems to have a very clear idea of the Eaters powers and history, he isnt some mysterious cloaked figure living in a isolated glass tower, he is a person with a regular day job in the human world.



    And what law are saying that the Eater have to be someone we have already meet before?
    It has already been made painfully clear for us that there are still tons of ability users in the town that we know nothing about, and its even more common in manga's that powerfull or important figures gets some sort of build up in the story before they get revealed.

    edit.
    Reading closer though the comic, then Lifeless Spirit, who actually had his planned ruined by the Existence Eater, and apperently had a close escape from him, continues to comment on how he is going to "Kill that guy".
    In manga, when an author goes to great lengths to NOT give you a name or description, it's pretty much a sure bet that the identity of the person in question is either A) somebody already appearing in the story, or B) SHOCKING GENDER/AGE REVEAL!

    The Mother is literally the only character shown whose power we have no explanation for.

    Also - NO, they do NOT seem to have a clear idea of who the EE is. The EE IS, for all intents and purposes, a mysterious cloaked figure - all we have are rumors, assumptions, and innuendo by people talking about him/her. Just because they know the EE by reputation and rumors doesn't mean they have any idea of who they are or what they do in their non-existence eating time. Nobody has even attempted to describe what the EE looks like - which you think would have been the first thing Sun-Il would have told Jee-Han, namely 'Yo, if you see somebody that looks like X, I would suggest hiding'.

    At this point I operate under the assumption that when we actually see the EE in action for the first time, they are going to be wearing a suitably ridiculous and over-the-top outfit that totally conceals any identifying characteristics (which would fit the humor the author likes to put in the strip. Yo guys, Existence Eater wears a full body pink bunny outfit LOL!!! )

    And just because his plans were ruined doesn't mean he actually saw them, personally encountered them or knows what they look like. See above regarding disguise/outfit. He knows the Existence Eater screwed him up. That doesn't mean he knows who they are or where they live.

    And seriously, you are putting WAY too much stock into things translated references like 'he' or 'guy'.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2014-08-15 at 09:51 AM.

    ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

    I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

  7. - Top - End - #487
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Flickerdart's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Gamer

    Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    which you think would have been the first thing Sun-Il would have told Jee-Han, namely 'Yo, if you see somebody that looks like X, I would suggest hiding'
    ...
    Yo guys, Existence Eater wears a full body pink bunny outfit LOL!!!
    Are these two sentences not mutually contradicting?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

  8. - Top - End - #488
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gez's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location

    Default Re: The Gamer

    Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    And seriously, you are putting WAY too much stock into things translated references like 'he' or 'guy'.
    If "Black Demon's Invasion" can become "Darkness Enfeeble" after a change of translator, it certainly pays not to take translation minutia too seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

  9. - Top - End - #489
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Olinser's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Gamer

    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Are these two sentences not mutually contradicting?
    No, because presumably Sun-Il would have warned Jee-Han against antagonizing any pinky bunny costumed individuals :P

    Just because a costume/outfit conceals somebody's identity doesn't mean the costume itself isn't highly recognizable (see every comic book super hero with a secret identity EVER).

    And of course... we're in a world where ability users can teleport, master the elements, and literally stop time. Shapeshifting is probably not that unusual.

    Which, again, could feed into why you wouldn't necessarily recognize the Existence Eater unless they were wearing their iconic EE form.

    ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

    I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

  10. - Top - End - #490
    Banned
     
    Math_Mage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Gamer

    I did look up the raw--it uses 'he', not 'he/she'. I obviously don't have sufficient command of Korean to tell whether I'm missing something, though. Maybe I'll phone a friend.

  11. - Top - End - #491
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Olinser's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Gamer

    Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    I did look up the raw--it uses 'he', not 'he/she'. I obviously don't have sufficient command of Korean to tell whether I'm missing something, though. Maybe I'll phone a friend.
    Doesn't matter, honestly. As already said, just because they know the Existence Eater doesn't mean they know their identity or even their gender.

    A costume/shapeshifting would provide a very easy method of camouflaging their identity.

    ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

    I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

  12. - Top - End - #492
    Banned
     
    Math_Mage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Gamer

    Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Doesn't matter, honestly. As already said, just because they know the Existence Eater doesn't mean they know their identity or even their gender.

    A costume/shapeshifting would provide a very easy method of camouflaging their identity.
    I agree. I'm just saying, I don't think this is a translation issue.

  13. - Top - End - #493
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Flickerdart's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Gamer

    Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    No, because presumably Sun-Il would have warned Jee-Han against antagonizing any pinky bunny costumed individuals :P

    Just because a costume/outfit conceals somebody's identity doesn't mean the costume itself isn't highly recognizable (see every comic book super hero with a secret identity EVER).

    And of course... we're in a world where ability users can teleport, master the elements, and literally stop time. Shapeshifting is probably not that unusual.

    Which, again, could feed into why you wouldn't necessarily recognize the Existence Eater unless they were wearing their iconic EE form.
    That's what I'm saying - if the Existence Eater has any sort of distinctive appearance, whether costumed or otherwise, Jee-Han would have been told.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

  14. - Top - End - #494
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: The Gamer

    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    That's what I'm saying - if the Existence Eater has any sort of distinctive appearance, whether costumed or otherwise, Jee-Han would have been told.
    In real life I would agree. In a story, characters fail to share important information all the time in order to maintain mystery or increase drama.

    I'm not on either side of the debate here though. I think it being his mom is probable...but I hope not because that cliche is tired and worn out.

  15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground
     
    lord_khaine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default Re: The Gamer

    In manga, when an author goes to great lengths to NOT give you a name or description, it's pretty much a sure bet that the identity of the person in question is either A) somebody already appearing in the story, or B) SHOCKING GENDER/AGE REVEAL!

    The Mother is literally the only character shown whose power we have no explanation for.

    Also - NO, they do NOT seem to have a clear idea of who the EE is. The EE IS, for all intents and purposes, a mysterious cloaked figure - all we have are rumors, assumptions, and innuendo by people talking about him/her. Just because they know the EE by reputation and rumors doesn't mean they have any idea of who they are or what they do in their non-existence eating time. Nobody has even attempted to describe what the EE looks like - which you think would have been the first thing Sun-Il would have told Jee-Han, namely 'Yo, if you see somebody that looks like X, I would suggest hiding'.

    At this point I operate under the assumption that when we actually see the EE in action for the first time, they are going to be wearing a suitably ridiculous and over-the-top outfit that totally conceals any identifying characteristics (which would fit the humor the author likes to put in the strip. Yo guys, Existence Eater wears a full body pink bunny outfit LOL!!! )

    And just because his plans were ruined doesn't mean he actually saw them, personally encountered them or knows what they look like. See above regarding disguise/outfit. He knows the Existence Eater screwed him up. That doesn't mean he knows who they are or where they live.

    And seriously, you are putting WAY too much stock into things translated references like 'he' or 'guy'.
    But the issue remains that the only evidence at all of the Eater being his mother is some weird attempt at using meta knowledge to predict the shape of the plot and the authors intent.
    Trying to stuff the mother into the role of the Eater is like trying to stuff a red block into a red hole without looking at the shape of either, going only on the basis of it being the only block at hand, instead of considering you might not have the relevant block.

    And YES, the Eater is not a mysterious figure, you seems to continuously gloss over the fact that he holds a regular job in the regular world, as well as being a important figure in the abyss who seems to directly have held some sort of position regarding the sage stone.

    So at this point the Eater needs to have gone though an impressive charade for who knows how long, hiding her gender from the very start for no apperent reason, even when young and inexperienced, without getting discovered.

    That means its a much simpler explanation that the Eater is just a person we have not meet yet.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

  16. - Top - End - #496
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Olinser's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Gamer

    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    But the issue remains that the only evidence at all of the Eater being his mother is some weird attempt at using meta knowledge to predict the shape of the plot and the authors intent.
    Trying to stuff the mother into the role of the Eater is like trying to stuff a red block into a red hole without looking at the shape of either, going only on the basis of it being the only block at hand, instead of considering you might not have the relevant block.

    And YES, the Eater is not a mysterious figure, you seems to continuously gloss over the fact that he holds a regular job in the regular world, as well as being a important figure in the abyss who seems to directly have held some sort of position regarding the sage stone.

    So at this point the Eater needs to have gone though an impressive charade for who knows how long, hiding her gender from the very start for no apperent reason, even when young and inexperienced, without getting discovered.

    That means its a much simpler explanation that the Eater is just a person we have not meet yet.
    You seem confused as to what points to the fact that the mother is the existence eater, we've covered this at least twice before, pay attention, its a lot more than meta knowledge.

    Here are the concrete bullet points:

    1) The EE lives in the immediate area and has for an extended period of time(exactly what area we are talking about isn't clear, but it certainly isn't that large). This eliminates any transient characters such as the Witch of Slaughter, Black Summoner, etc.

    2) The Mother was displayed as a ???, clearly displaying that either she is an extremely high powered Abyss individual, or has some power that blocks Jee-Han's Observe ability (either way, she is a powerful Abyss ability user). To date, the only other ??? character shown has been the Elder of the Chunbumoon.

    3) In addition to her level, the Mother's TITLE was ???ed out. We have not seen a single other character with this effect. Despite the Elder's ??? level, we could still see his title. This points to the Mother being more powerful than the Elder of the Chunbumoon.

    4) Despite her apparent power, the Mother appears to have no affiliation with either the Chunbumoon or Yunhon, although she did seem like she was aware of Sun-Il's position.

    5) At TWO separate points, immediately after the Mother left the area, 2 different characters stated the Existence Eater was gone.

    Meta knowledge doesn't play into a single one of those points.

    I'm not 'glossing over' anything. When you are an extremely powerful individual, especially when you are on your own without a clan like the Chubumoon or Yunhon, hiding your identity and where you live is just common sense. You are pulling the fact that the EE has a 'regular job' out of thin air. Sun-Il has related the rumor that they are studying for government exams, but nothing concrete. Studying =/= having a job.

    On the other side of the scales, you literally have not provided a single piece of information that contradicts the Mother being the Existence Eater, other than basically saying "I don't think the Mother is the EE LOL".

    As such, unless you have any actual evidence (which you do not), this debate is pointless. There is strong circumstantial evidence that the Mother is the EE, with zero contradicting evidence.

    She obviously doesn't HAVE to be the EE, but you certainly haven't provided a single shred of evidence that she isn't. Right now, there is simply no other viable candidates that we have seen. So we will wait and see, and it's probably going to be a while. At this point, I don't expect the Existence Eater to show up on panel for an extended period of time.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2014-08-17 at 10:05 AM.

    ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

    I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

  17. - Top - End - #497
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    The Mormegil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Gamer

    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    But the issue remains that the only evidence at all of the Eater being his mother is some weird attempt at using meta knowledge to predict the shape of the plot and the authors intent.
    Trying to stuff the mother into the role of the Eater is like trying to stuff a red block into a red hole without looking at the shape of either, going only on the basis of it being the only block at hand, instead of considering you might not have the relevant block.
    This works 99% of the times though. I'll be really surprised if the Eater is NOT his mother at this point. And in order to work in a narrative framework that would still require a subversion (e.g. it's actually the father, or the mother is the EE's assistant, or she's a clone put there just to protect HJH, or she's not his mother at all and his real mother is the EE...).

    Point is, the narrative is set up quite clearly in a way that foreshadows this plot point. However he intends to solve the situation, it must include this as an element, either playing it straight or subverting it.

    You can't just ignore narrative rules in stories. If you do, you end up not having an actual story. You end up having a bunch of events happening in chronological order. And hey, many people still like that! Look at Game of Thrones! But it's not really what this manga is about, or at least it doesn't seem that way.
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

    Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

  18. - Top - End - #498
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Gamer

    You know, I'm enjoying this story for what it is... but somebody really, REALLY needs to sit the author down and give him the lesson about show versus tell.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

  19. - Top - End - #499
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Olinser's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Gamer

    Quote Originally Posted by TheEmerged View Post
    You know, I'm enjoying this story for what it is... but somebody really, REALLY needs to sit the author down and give him the lesson about show versus tell.
    Hey it's the guy's first series and he's only 50 chapters in.

    Go back and look at the first 50 chapters of any long-running manga, they will often be completely different from where the manga currently is.

    It's so common that it actually has its own trope these days - Early Installment Weirdness.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2014-08-18 at 02:01 PM.

    ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

    I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

  20. - Top - End - #500
    Banned
     
    Math_Mage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Gamer

    Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Hey it's the guy's first series and he's only 50 chapters in.

    Go back and look at the first 50 chapters of any long-running manga, they will often be completely different from where the manga currently is.

    It's so common that it actually has its own trope these days - Early Installment Weirdness.
    Let's be honest, though, some long-running manga were better at chapter 50 than they are now/when they ended. (*cough Naruto cough*)

  21. - Top - End - #501
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Olinser's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Gamer

    New chapter up.

    Hoooo boy.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, 'Detect Bloodthirst'. I almost fell out of my chair laughing.

    Now he needs a notification 'Detect Moron', because seriously, how is announcing your ability going to end well.

    ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

    I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

  22. - Top - End - #502
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Forrestfire's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: The Gamer

    Spoiler
    Show
    That's called "putting ranks into Wisdom", probably.
    Lolth is so scary that even in TO, "having to be touched by Lolth" is recognized as a serious drawback for Lolth-touched.
    Ongoing Playtests:      The Avowed
    Handbooks:    Disregard Money, Acquire Buff Spells: Artificers without the Artifice E6 Plot Magic

    Avatar by Djinn in Tonic

  23. - Top - End - #503
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    The Mormegil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Gamer

    Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    New chapter up.

    Hoooo boy.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, 'Detect Bloodthirst'. I almost fell out of my chair laughing.

    Now he needs a notification 'Detect Moron', because seriously, how is announcing your ability going to end well.
    Word. This is going to end up so very very bad for him.

    Which of course means it's going to end up perfectly fine because really, he's the main character and this is just a way to force a conflict. ;)
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

    Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

  24. - Top - End - #504
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Flickerdart's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Gamer

    Nothing can happen to him - Sung-Gon knows that Jee-Han can heal his daughter (at least temporarily) and has already hired two ridiculously powerful guys to protect her. I doubt that we'll see A-rank threats showing up before Jee-Han can handle them (if only because games always send appropriately CRed encounters at you).
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

  25. - Top - End - #505
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Aquillion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore

    Default Re: The Gamer

    The good news is that his ability doesn't really have any clear weaknesses. Especially as an int-focused character, he can develop new powers freely, so even if someone thinks they've found a weakness, he can always develop a new skill that covers it.

    (Of course, he's weak against close combat to an extent, but anyone who watched him fight for a few moments could probably guess that.)

  26. - Top - End - #506
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    The Mormegil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Gamer

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    The good news is that his ability doesn't really have any clear weaknesses. Especially as an int-focused character, he can develop new powers freely, so even if someone thinks they've found a weakness, he can always develop a new skill that covers it.

    (Of course, he's weak against close combat to an extent, but anyone who watched him fight for a few moments could probably guess that.)
    It's not weaknesses he should be worried about, it's strengths. If word gets out, he's going to be attacked by everyone and their mother trying to get him to benefit from his ridiculous ability to make money / rare items / exploit him in any possible way.
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

    Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

  27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Yuki Akuma's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Land of Angles
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Gamer

    Jee-Han's biggest weakness is that it takes time for him to develop new abilities - as well as a bit of luck, seeing as he sometimes earns abilities without having any idea that skill was 'programmed into the game'.

    Of course, the better he gets, the faster he can get better...
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

    Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

  28. - Top - End - #508
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    HalfOrcPirate

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waterloo

    Default Re: The Gamer

    Well...I don't really know what his plan is, but it is clearly just a bad idea talking about his power openly. Especially after he's seen that people are willing to pay a lot of money for that information.

    Although, that Detect Bloodlust skill might be really useful if he gets it up to a high enough level, as it might help him spot an ambush coming.

    Either way, woo mostly redundant chapter.

  29. - Top - End - #509
    Banned
     
    Math_Mage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Gamer

    Well, he's about to ruin his date, isn't he? Sigh.

  30. - Top - End - #510
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Olinser's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Gamer

    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Nothing can happen to him - Sung-Gon knows that Jee-Han can heal his daughter (at least temporarily) and has already hired two ridiculously powerful guys to protect her. I doubt that we'll see A-rank threats showing up before Jee-Han can handle them (if only because games always send appropriately CRed encounters at you).
    Or maybe when Sung-Gon finds out the details he's going to throw him in a cage and keep him there until he figures out how to cure his daughter to make sure nobody else can get to him.

    ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

    I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •