New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gamer

1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Gamer

Last strip was hilarious.

For some reason, I suspect the friend still somewhat believed the Gamer to be mentally unbalanced. Seeing the Party Invite is the Best. Reaction. Ever.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Last strip was hilarious.

For some reason, I suspect the friend still somewhat believed the Gamer to be mentally unbalanced. Seeing the Party Invite is the Best. Reaction. Ever.
    I find the term Bus interesting. I mean, it was done but we never called it Bus.

3. - Top - End - #33

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

One thing that struck me was how serious the main character took the idea of becoming a professional gamer, discussing its pros and cons before dismissing it. I guess it's because it's a Korean webcomic, and that's one of the few countries where you can actually do that.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Hrm.

It's a more analytical take on a particular adolescent power-fantasy (that is, become so good at games that it gives you game-powers in real life), and it does have some promise.

It's good that he's introduced more characters for the protagonist to interact with, because the constant exposition was getting a little stale. If I wanted to watch a person grind levels, I'd- wait no, I'd stick my arm in a blender instead.

Hopefully now that he's got the backstory nice and established there'll be more room for more character interaction!
    Last edited by Guancyto; 2013-12-31 at 12:40 PM.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    I find the term Bus interesting. I mean, it was done but we never called it Bus.
    I was in an online game that called it The Train, though that was when we amassed large numbers of players and ran around killing everything (No limit in the party system). The exp was shared evenly in that game so higher level characters didn't get much but a level 1 character could level up quickly.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

1) I didn't know that it was called that. I assumed that people called it "piggy-backing" or something like that.

2) New comic is up, and "wow" for the cliffhanger.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeburn View Post
    1) I didn't know that it was called that. I assumed that people called it "piggy-backing" or something like that.

2) New comic is up, and "wow" for the cliffhanger.
    I've been exposed to 'train' primarily as referring to game elements, like 'I rode the Mundo train up to gold rank' or similar. But then, I don't MMORPG; it's probably different in a raiding/PVP/guild environment.

As for the cliffhanger...that's the thing. I'm not concerned. There appears to be nothing at stake at this point, so I have little reason to worry that anything will be lost. Apart from being mildly concerned about what Hwan Sung-Gon is up to (because the story told me not to be urgently concerned), I don't feel any tension in the narrative.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

That is true there is no real antagonist, I don't doubt that one is planned but at the moment they are just living their daily lives though with superpowers.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

In a way, I sort of like it that way, in that it's different from other stories, at least; and it's fun to just see the world and the main character's abilities explored.

I assume eventually there will be more concrete challenges, but I like it how it is for now -- initially I was a bit worried that it would just become a fighting series, and (even if they're currently fighting zombies) it doesn't seem to be going down that route yet.

Heck, the big strong high-level summoner and the head of the secret martial arts order met and... talked their differences out and then came to an amicable compromise. That's usually against the rules in a series like this, they're supposed to have to fight to the death first.

It also means that I usually don't know where the story is going next, which is nice.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2014-01-04 at 12:15 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Boss Fight! Boss Fight! Boss Fight!

Anyway, we are slowly getting to the mystery. A guy got super-powers and he's trying to make the best of them. Makes perfect sense. I'm sure the mystery will unravel. We've got three factions now: Summoner, Gamer's Friends, and Red-Haired Girl. So what are they all up too?
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

love the zombie failing to bite the guy
    My Class is Artificer ... "I see the secret patterns of magic, and through the items I carry, I can use that magic to protect you, heal you... or make you explode."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'd always heard it referred to as "power leveling."
    Tarvek needs to die in a fire.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    I've been exposed to 'train' primarily as referring to game elements, like 'I rode the Mundo train up to gold rank' or similar. But then, I don't MMORPG; it's probably different in a raiding/PVP/guild environment.

As for the cliffhanger...that's the thing. I'm not concerned. There appears to be nothing at stake at this point, so I have little reason to worry that anything will be lost. Apart from being mildly concerned about what Hwan Sung-Gon is up to (because the story told me not to be urgently concerned), I don't feel any tension in the narrative.
    You have a good point there..... The cliffhangers don't really have much effect.
    Although, it is good that the comic is having a bit more variety. Who would want to read comics where the characters kill zombies everyday (don't answer that! )

15. - Top - End - #45
    Banned

You have a good point there..... The cliffhangers don't really have much effect.
    Although, it is good that the comic is having a bit more variety. Who would want to read comics where the characters kill zombies everyday (don't answer that! )
    I could see a strip using that as a vehicle, sort of like Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead with the coin-flipping...but then it wouldn't really be about the zombie-killing, would it?
    Last edited by Math_Mage; 2014-01-04 at 08:53 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Right now the zombie killing is less like zombie killing and more like school. You fight zombies/teachers to get mad skillz so you can get a job later on. But the important part isn't the listening to lectures/zombies. That's just a back drop.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

A new New York IC OOC

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Good art, will have to go through the archive later!

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

18. - Top - End - #48
    Colossus in the Playground

It's kind of funny that
    Spoiler
    Show
    the martial arts guy didn't need to get completely destroyed, if only the main character had told him that the summoner was nearly double his level.

And yes, I am really bad at names.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2014-01-06 at 11:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    It's kind of funny that
    Spoiler
    Show
    the martial arts guy didn't need to get completely destroyed, if only the main character had told him that the summoner was nearly double his level.

And yes, I am really bad at names.
    You raise a good point. But then again, would he have believed the main character?

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    You raise a good point. But then again, would he have believed the main character?
    They probably would have fought him anyway; they outnumbered him three to one. (Also, it does seem to have worked, in that it seems to have made him come to the negotiating table -- probably because they were strong enough to make him realize he couldn't beat the elders.)

21. - Top - End - #51

It's a bit of a moot point until we know what the question marks mean. While they could indeed, as the Gamer guesses, mean that they're a much higher level than him, that doesn't explain the non-level obfuscation. It's very possible that since other people don't work on video game logic, being old actually does make you feeble and frail.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

It's a bit of a moot point until we know what the question marks mean. While they could indeed, as the Gamer guesses, mean that they're a much higher level than him, that doesn't explain the non-level obfuscation. It's very possible that since other people don't work on video game logic, being old actually does make you feeble and frail.
    No, his friend says, here:

"The clan elders decided to handle the situation themselves."

"Elders?"

"Yep. They're really strong. Hwan Sung-Gon was strong beyond expectations, but he's alone. He can't fight against the whole clan by himself."

(Also, his mom clearly isn't old and frail; and he does see stats on his 'normal' teachers and classmates.)
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2014-01-08 at 03:28 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    (Also, his mom clearly isn't old and frail; and he does see stats on his 'normal' teachers and classmates.)
    I didn't mean that question marks indicate a lack of levels. I meant that there's some other mechanism obfuscating them that we the readers do not know about yet, since his mom's title is hidden also.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

I didn't mean that question marks indicate a lack of levels. I meant that there's some other mechanism obfuscating them that we the readers do not know about yet, since his mom's title is hidden also.
    Also note she looks too young. Which in all honesty is stranger than any question marks. Remember that whole deal about no doing "strange" crap? Can't freak out the muggles or Gaia offs you?

By all rights, his mother should get run over by a bus. The hackz are strong with her.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    Also note she looks too young. Which in all honesty is stranger than any question marks. Remember that whole deal about no doing "strange" crap? Can't freak out the muggles or Gaia offs you?

By all rights, his mother should get run over by a bus. The hackz are strong with her.
    Maybe she is the bus?
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

I love it - this is my favorite new series that began this year. It is now in my favorite Korean Webcomic series right alongside Noblesse and Tower of God.

I'm happy to say that I have successfully predicted quite a number of plot turns already

BTW, new chapter raws are out

Spoiler
    Show
    He blows the boss zombie away with a charged up Energy Bolt, Dragonball Z style.

HADOKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Olinser; 2014-01-09 at 12:47 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think Noblesse has plenty problems, but I somehow enjoy it when the super talkative MC or Frankenstein completly crush someone or they enemies quiver in fear when they know who Rai is.^^

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Further evidence that it isn't levels is that Sun-Il's grandfather had his level ????ed out, but you could still see his title. The Mother has EVERYTHING but her name ????ed out. SOMETHING else is clearly going on with the mother.

I have 3 hypothesis, actually.

First, and simplest, is that his mother simply has an ability that blocks other abilities from affecting her - she may be one of the 'existence eaters' mentioned when Sun-Il confronted the Black Summoner, and as such has learned to neutralize abilities, or she may simply be a natural ability user herself, with an ability that blocks other abilities.

Second is that what is affecting the mother is actually not terribly uncommon in games for important characters. That is, when you meet a new character, despite them introducing themselves as XXXX, and possibly even join the party, their name, class, or attributes may still be ????ed out, until you find more information later in the story. i.e. Sun-Il's grandfather's title showed up, because Jee-Han already knew that he was the Chunbumoon Head. He may not be able to see his mother's title until he finds information out himself.

And my third crazy epileptic tree theory is that his mother is a physical manifestation of Gaia.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2014-01-09 at 02:45 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    I think Noblesse has plenty problems, but I somehow enjoy it when the super talkative MC or Frankenstein completly crush someone or they enemies quiver in fear when they know who Rai is.^^
    Well, yeah, every series has its share of problems.

One Piece, the unquestioned lord of sales in manga (single volume sales dwarf sales for most other SERIES), has plenty of critics and naysayers.

To me, the shortcomings of Noblesse are far outweighed by the positives, so I will continue to enjoy it immensely.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2014-01-09 at 02:50 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    It was cool the first time, but the main problem is that almost every fight scene in Noblesse has gone the exact same way for hundreds of chapters now, and that's pretty much all there is to it at this point. It feels like the writer didn't think ahead or never realized it would last so long.