New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 39 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gamer

1. - Top - End - #631
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Oh, I didn't mean to imply that he'd picked it up off-screen. I just thought it was odd that he's been capable of learning it (or at least absorbing the skill book) for so long and *hasn't* learned it. I expect when the author does decide to let Jee Han get it, it'll probably get most of a chapter to itself... or Jee Han will ask about it and the Chun Bu Moon elder will tell him 'No, you're a Chun Bu disciple now. You don't get that the easy way.'
    Jee-Han kind of seems to have ADD. He's probably legitimately forgotten about it now.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Jee-Han kind of seems to have ADD. He's probably legitimately forgotten about it now.
    I don't know if I'd class it as ADD-like.. the key to his power's cheatiness is his willingness to spend long periods of time doing the same repetitive actions over and over, after all, and eventually his skillup speed has to slow down to where he stops getting frequent reward dings to help encourage him to keep doing that. If I had to guess at his thought process, it's more because he now thinks of himself as a 'mage', and going back to pick up more martial-arts techniques doesn't fit with that. But then, high-level martial arts in these things tend to be rather mystical in nature. He'd probably be quite happy with the technique if he ever remembers to ask for it. Or possibly if one of the Chun Bu Moon people remind him about it.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

He still hasn't even looked at the psychokinesis skill he got for reaching 100 int. I also don't think he's learned the life drain skill book from the skeleton, or if he has he hasn't tried to use it at all as well. He also seems to have forgotten about the 'Remove Curse' skill(probably plot related though) to try to help the black summoner's daughter(I'm terrible with names). The divine technique has probably just been entirely forgotten about.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm pretty sure I recall him using the Life Drain book, but he hasn't used the skill yet, yeah.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Banned

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that he'd picked it up off-screen. I just thought it was odd that he's been capable of learning it (or at least absorbing the skill book) for so long and *hasn't* learned it. I expect when the author does decide to let Jee Han get it, it'll probably get most of a chapter to itself... or Jee Han will ask about it and the Chun Bu Moon elder will tell him 'No, you're a Chun Bu disciple now. You don't get that the easy way.'
    That's the scene I was saying wouldn't happen offscreen.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    I'm pretty sure I recall him using the Life Drain book, but he hasn't used the skill yet, yeah.
    Oh, yeah. He did use that book, thought 'oh, hey, this could be pretty useful' and then never did anything with it.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Banned

Conservation of detail means it will come up eventually. Have patience.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

New Chapter!

Exposition, combat, and promise of future things. Woo!

9. - Top - End - #639
    Banned

Dat exposition pause. Also, clearly the crafters didn't read the RPG guidelines about not letting the player stack same-type same-weapon bonuses. But hooray for things in motion.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    Dat exposition pause. Also, clearly the crafters didn't read the RPG guidelines about not letting the player stack same-type same-weapon bonuses. But hooray for things in motion.
    Jee Han's next spell will be to create more arms so he can wield additional staves, which increase his magical power, allowing him to cast a spell to make even more arms, and wield even more staves, etc.

Also, it seems like a counterspell would be really handy against these guys. Since Jee Han can already manipulate mana, why not try to literally throw a wrench into the works of another caster?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

11. - Top - End - #641
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well combat isn't the greatest place for experimenting with new magic if you aren't desperate. If he attempts to make a counterspell and fails that could leave him open for a counter attack.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Also, it seems like a counterspell would be really handy against these guys. Since Jee Han can already manipulate mana, why not try to literally throw a wrench into the works of another caster?
    This also seems like it'd be really difficult to do without really understanding how magic works. Which so far I don't thin Jee-Han actually understands, he just sort of knows how to use it, and looks like a genius because of his grinding.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Bugbear in the Playground

Comment about the divine technique: Sun-Il did comment in an earlier chapter that they just gave him the book to test his power, and that the clan isn't going to just give him one of the clan secret techniques to learn out of the blue. Forgot which chapter it was mentioned in, though I do remember it was way back.

That might be why he isn't thinking about it anymore. As for psychokinesis, life drain, and such, he was doing focused training, so he probably just didn't have time to level everything (and grinding his skills takes a lot of patience). As current "limited skillset" MMOs have taught us, it's better to concentrate on a small bag of tricks first and do them with exceptional skill than having a lot of skills in mediocrity.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    He's not doing anything that unusual, just dual-wielding. Plenty of RPGs allow you dual wield and get equip bonuses from both items. I've actually played several RPGs where it is a perfectly legitimate path for a wizard/cleric to spec/train into dual-wielding explicitly so they can equip 2 spell power increasing 1-hand weapons.

Heck a number of RPGs have warrior class ultimate skills that allow you to dual-wield normally 2-handed weapons.

Considering Jee-Han isn't confined to class abilities it makes sense that he's learned dual-wielding and abusing it for magic bonuses.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2014-11-14 at 10:00 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

New Chapter!

After last weeks....abrupt? end to the conflict. Back to what's important. New skills, and glorious glorious grinding!

16. - Top - End - #646
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoa View Post
    New Chapter!

After last weeks....abrupt? end to the conflict. Back to what's important. New skills, and glorious glorious grinding!
    I'd been kind of wondering if/when Jee-Han was going to realize the potential of being a dedicated petmaster.. or even just explore elemental summoning beyond only Gnome. But I suppose the artist probably doesn't want to deal with all of his fights involving four elementals and ten golems

Prediction: Jee-Han will realize that an earth-bodied golem might work well with Gnome and try creating a golem power-armor for her to guide/ride around in/fuse with.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Prediction: Jee-Han will realize that an earth-bodied golem might work well with Gnome and try creating a golem power-armor for her to guide/ride around in/fuse with.
    Golem armor sounds amazing.

I'm more wondering if he'll ever learn a level above 'basic' with any of these skills(even gnome is I think still a basic level elemental despite being superpowered because of the skill)

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoa View Post
    Golem armor sounds amazing.

I'm more wondering if he'll ever learn a level above 'basic' with any of these skills(even gnome is I think still a basic level elemental despite being superpowered because of the skill)
    I'm guessing this would be farm dependent. He'll need to reach to the point where he can get enough money for the more expensive skill books first.
    Tarvek needs to die in a fire.

19. - Top - End - #649

So what's the deal with no updates this week or the previous week? Is the author on holiday break?
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

20. - Top - End - #650
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

So what's the deal with no updates this week or the previous week? Is the author on holiday break?
    He's getting married, so yeah, kinda. I guess updates will resume next week?

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cantalooping View Post
    He's getting married, so yeah, kinda. I guess updates will resume next week?
    Wonder if that will result in changes in the story.

The marriage of the author of One Piece coincided with the quadrupling of Nami's chest size and abrupt massive spike in general cleavage in the manga.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

22. - Top - End - #652
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Wonder if that will result in changes in the story.

The marriage of the author of One Piece coincided with the quadrupling of Nami's chest size and abrupt massive spike in general cleavage in the manga.
    Write what you know.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Fanpage somewhere said it was on a break until the 19th(so this Friday/Thursday should have a new update)

24. - Top - End - #654
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

New Chapter!

Just some space before discussion.

A little more space.

Hello there new skills, the endless mana arrow depending on the mana draining might be awesome with his mana regeneration, thinking he might be able to just sit there and endlessly fire off arrows while he flies around being invulnerable with the mana shield. Also, finally some Wis, maybe now he'll finally remember all the skills he's forgotten. And this skill evolution looks interesting if he can get it to apply to things other then the summons[Seems like it'd involve an insane amount of grinding vs the summons where he can just passively let them grow].

25. - Top - End - #655

I wonder if the author is intentionally keeping Jee Han from clashing with the characters that have already been established, to keep us in the dark about how powerful they are. We don't even really know what it is that makes the Black Summoner so powerful other than the fact that he has a high level. Jee Han is now only 10 levels behind where Black Summoner was, but without knowing the skills Black Summoner has, it's hard to know what that really means.

What are the levels of everyone else, again? I don't remember the last time they were shown.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

26. - Top - End - #656
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

From chapter 66 page 5:
    Normally when you hit 99 in a skill level, it evolves to the next stage.
    yecch! I thought skyrim was too grind-y! That doesn't sound like fun at all.

27. - Top - End - #657

Quote Originally Posted by Spojaz View Post
    From chapter 66 page 5:

yecch! I thought skyrim was too grind-y! That doesn't sound like fun at all.
    Have you never played a Korean MMO? Those things are brutal grindfests. I remember reading somewhere that children make their parents grind for them while they're in school so that they can keep up with their friends.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

28. - Top - End - #658
    Banned

I wonder if the author is intentionally keeping Jee Han from clashing with the characters that have already been established, to keep us in the dark about how powerful they are. We don't even really know what it is that makes the Black Summoner so powerful other than the fact that he has a high level. Jee Han is now only 10 levels behind where Black Summoner was, but without knowing the skills Black Summoner has, it's hard to know what that really means.

What are the levels of everyone else, again? I don't remember the last time they were shown.
    From a narrative standpoint Jee Han is advancing so quickly that if we truly establish how powerful characters are he'll quickly outpace them. I think it's easier for him to leave things vague for now until he slows down with the grinding and starts on an actual plot. If that ever happens.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ettin in the Playground

Last official character levels we've seen were:

Black Summoner - 46 (a LONG time ago - other characters have gained 5-10 levels in that time, I would be shocked if he weren't in the high 50's now)
    Sun-Il - 33
    Sae-Young - 42
    Sung-Ah (black summoner daughter) - 12
    Shi-Yun (red hair) - 36
    Mother - ??
    Chunbumoon Elder - ??

We have not seen level values for Sun-Il's 2 brothers, the Witch of Slaughter, or the Druid.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2014-12-18 at 05:54 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

30. - Top - End - #660
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Last official character levels we've seen were:

Black Summoner - 46 (a LONG time ago - other characters have gained 5-10 levels in that time, I would be shocked if he weren't in the high 50's now)
    Sun-Il - 33
    Sae-Young - 42
    Sung-Ah (black summoner daughter) - 12
    Shi-Yun (red hair) - 36
    Mother - ??
    Chunbumoon Elder - ??

We have not seen level values for Sun-Il's 2 brothers, the Witch of Slaughter, or the Druid.
    The "Mother" got a level at some point before she left. It was in the mid-20s or so, and the title was legendary housewife.