Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gamer

1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Maybe she is the bus?
    Heh, that would make sense.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Maybe she is the bus?
    This sounds a lot dirtier in my mind than you probably meant it.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post

And my third crazy epileptic tree theory is that his mother is a physical manifestation of Gaia.
    Sounds like a, "Yo Momma' joke"
    "Yo Momma' is so fat, she doesn't just live on the earth.
    She is the Earth, yo."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Halfling in the Playground

Second is that what is affecting the mother is actually not terribly uncommon in games for important characters. That is, when you meet a new character, despite them introducing themselves as XXXX, and possibly even join the party, their name, class, or attributes may still be ????ed out, until you find more information later in the story. i.e. Sun-Il's grandfather's title showed up, because Jee-Han already knew that he was the Chunbumoon Head. He may not be able to see his mother's title until he finds information out himself.
    His mother does seem to have some sort of connection with Chunbumoon, caring when Sun-Il got 'sick' enough to let Jee-Han off school to see him.
    I'd guess they're distantly related or former servants or something.
    Hopefully when we find their connection, those ??? will be revealed.

Alternatively, those ??? might be revealed if Jee-Han used his Observe skill on her to check stats and stuff. He might have to level up his Observe skill more first.
    Last edited by Inuzuka; 2014-01-10 at 03:11 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inuzuka View Post
    His mother does seem to have some sort of connection with Chunbumoon, caring when Sun-Il got 'sick' enough to let Jee-Han off school to see him.
    I'd guess they're distantly related or former servants or something.
    Hopefully when we find their connection, those ??? will be revealed.

Alternatively, those ??? might be revealed if Jee-Han used his Observe skill on her to check stats and stuff. He might have to level up his Observe skill more first.
    Eh, I said this in the batoto forums already - I would be very, VERY cautious about using Observe on another ability user.

There is a pretty good chance that at a minimum they recognize you are an ability user and that you just used an ability on them. Hot-headed ones might interpret it as an attack. Using Observe on somebody like Black Summoner might be exactly the excuse he is waiting for to drag Jee-Han into an illusion barrier and get rid of him.

If that's the case, and other ability users can recognize when he uses it, then he could accomplish pretty much exactly the same thing by just walking up to his mother and saying, "Hey Mom, I'm a natural ability user. Let's talk."

For some reason it looks like he's unwilling to do that.

By the way, since it appears pretty clear that Black Summoner is working for somebody else, is anybody else thinking that it is either Jee-Han's mother or father that is his boss?

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

His gamer ability already culls some information from people. Specifically their level and title. That's how he knew his friend was such a bad-ass.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

A new New York IC OOC

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    His gamer ability already culls some information from people. Specifically their level and title. That's how he knew his friend was such a bad-ass.
    Yes, but that's not an active scan, like Observe is. Much like his inventory - Sun-Il couldn't see his inventory, and didn't sense anything until Jee-Han actually removed something from it.

Also, new chapter up.

Spoiler
    Show
    Pretty much what you could tell from the raws. He blows away the zombie boss with a charged up Energy Bolt. I wonder if he could charge up Power Attack the same way?

New title, as well. I assume that this is the next level of 'Apprentice Undead Hunter', and will increase stats accordingly.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    He needs to grind his skills before he tries to hunt zombies like that again. Physical toughness, his energy bolt, his spear, his inner key stuff. Then he should be able to carry himself and his friend well into the 30s!
    Last edited by Lamech; 2014-01-10 at 12:36 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inuzuka View Post
    Also, her shocked reaction in the previous page implies she had some idea of what really happened, since that's not exactly how you react when hearing someone has the flu.

For some reason it looks like he's unwilling to do that.
    One possible reason could be because if he's wrong and she's not an ability user, the world could kill him for breaking the masquerade.

(Although it's not really clear if you can get in trouble just for talking to normals, or if you only accumulate Paradox for using your powers in a vulgar manner in front of mundanes. Given the way his friend described it, I suspect nobody knows and they're not willing to risk it because the only way to find out you goofed is to die in a mysterious accident.)
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2014-01-10 at 03:59 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Firbolg in the Playground

Would be cool if the latest issues were linked when they're here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

New chapter raws are out.

Spoiler
    Show
    Looks like he equips the new title.

The boss dropped a pile of treasure - a book, five potions, and a wad of cash.

The cash is 500,000 Won, which converts to about $500. Damn! Boss hunting is quite a lucrative career!

He gives a couple of the potions to Sun-Il. Sun-Il cries.

It's hard to tell what the skill book is, but the picture makes it look like some kind of holy/anti-undead spell - probably Turn Undead, now that I think about it, though it MIGHT be a Zombie Summon spell.

Other than that, lot of talking and discussion going on, Sun-Il appears to be explaining how souls react to form zombies. The chapter ends with Red Hair coming up behind Jee-Han in class and saying something.

Last edited by Olinser; 2014-01-16 at 10:19 AM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Translated chapter out.

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/218761/...0_by_bap-scans

Spoiler
    Show
    Interesting, so basically he can create whatever skill he wants as long as he thinks of it and uses it. Though looking back, that's exactly how Observe was created in the first place.

So it takes a while to charge, but DAMN, that's some crazy modifier on attack power, though!

Looks like the skill book was 'Energy Drain'. Interesting. Pump decent numbers into Int and Vit, I could see him making a pretty strong Drain Tank.

Wonder what Sun-Il is hiding, exactly. Something more is going on with the Black Summoner than we've seen.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

so how long do you think it will be before he thinks of makeing weapons or items
    My Class is Artificer ... "I see the secret patterns of magic, and through the items I carry, I can use that magic to protect you, heal you... or make you explode."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venom3053000 View Post
    so how long do you think it will be before he thinks of makeing weapons or items
    He already has considered it, and has the beginnings of crafting skill.

However, I don't think he reasonably can make things like weapons - most games that allow you to create weapons and whatnot require a Forge/Blacksmith to do it at.

Unless he can create an ID with a forge, I think he could be out of luck.

Alchemy, on the other hand, is completely reasonable, it wouldn't be that hard to get the stuff for a lab. Heck, since apparently potions sell for a HUGE amount of money, he could make himself rich just doing that.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2014-01-17 at 11:32 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

He already has considered it, and has the beginnings of crafting skill.

However, I don't think he reasonably can make things like weapons - most games that allow you to create weapons and whatnot require a Forge/Blacksmith to do it at.

Unless he can create an ID with a forge, I think he could be out of luck.

Alchemy, on the other hand, is completely reasonable, it wouldn't be that hard to get the stuff for a lab.

I had forgotten about his craft skill

I don't think a forge would be too hard to find, that one family seems to have their own weapons they might just make them since they count as speical or at least know where one is

and something I just thought of, can other people learn from a skill book, could he make copies?
    My Class is Artificer ... "I see the secret patterns of magic, and through the items I carry, I can use that magic to protect you, heal you... or make you explode."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

That would be interesting to find out. He can learn from books other people can learn from. Maybe they can learn from his books. It would be also interesting to see if he can write out books for other people to use. Base them off the skills he has.

Also I'm betting he actually can teach other people his stuff. Okay the item spawning is a little weird, and he certainly learns abilities faster than other people, but his friend is also getting stronger pretty fast. (4 levels?)
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Interesting, so basically he can create whatever skill he wants as long as he thinks of it and uses it. Though looking back, that's exactly how Observe was created in the first place.
    I think it has to be an extension of what he can already do, or something he can generally attempt. For instance, he already had the ability to observe things; his power formalized it into Observe and let him advance it. He learned Energy Bolt when mastering his basic ability to manipulate energy as an ability-user, and charging it up is an extension of that.

So he could probably, say, create an ability to throw a bunch of energy bolts at once, but he probably can't learn to call down lighting or resurrect the dead just by willing it.

By the way, since it appears pretty clear that Black Summoner is working for somebody else
    What makes you say that? IIRC his friend implied that the reason the Black Summoner had to negotiate with them is because they're an organized group while the Black Summoner is alone.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2014-01-18 at 01:56 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    I think it has to be an extension of what he can already do, or something he can generally attempt. For instance, he already had the ability to observe things; his power formalized it into Observe and let him advance it. He learned Energy Bolt when mastering his basic ability to manipulate energy as an ability-user, and charging it up is an extension of that.

So he could probably, say, create an ability to throw a bunch of energy bolts at once, but he probably can't learn to call down lighting or resurrect the dead just by willing it.

What makes you say that? IIRC his friend implied that the reason the Black Summoner had to negotiate with them is because they're an organized group while the Black Summoner is alone.
    Mainly because Sun-Il's brother outright stated that he had 'started training on summoning techniques'. Since it appears to be an acquired ability, that means somebody has to be around to train him.

His blabber about 'giving up his life for something important', also sure sounds like he's the 2nd in command ready to give up everything for his master's AWESOME PLAN to me.

Also, while Chunbumoon keeps talking about how they're going to deal with him, and just Sun-Il's grandfather alone should be able to crush him, yet for some reason they don't. Especially after Sun-Il and his brothers got owned, I would have thought they would slap the Summoner down quick. Honestly it sure seems like they want to get rid of him, but are wary of who he works for.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2014-01-18 at 11:44 AM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Probably because exactly none of those people we've seen so far are utter jackasses. (Or at least they have kept it hidden.) The summoner got attacked. He smacked them down without killing. Then they had a talk. The clan leader thought it was understandable, but wouldn't be "good for the land". Although it seemed like there was presumably some counter measure they worked out.

Not exactly something you go all vigilante killer over.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I just found this today, and I'm loving it so far. A few things about his stats bug me though.

Why is he banking 40 stat points if he's planning on blowing it all on INT anyways? Why not just add it gradually and not have a massive INT jump? Get smarter over a period of time, and not suddenly get a headache from an IQ jump of 70 points.

Why why why is he still at 6 wisdom? THAT ISNT ENOUGH DANGIT, IF YOUD INCREASE YOUR WIS YOU'D BE WISE ENOUGH TO INCREASE YOUR WISDOM. 6x 1.1=NOT ENOUGH.

But yeah, its awesome.
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2014-01-18 at 02:54 PM.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Probably because exactly none of those people we've seen so far are utter jackasses. (Or at least they have kept it hidden.) The summoner got attacked. He smacked them down without killing. Then they had a talk. The clan leader thought it was understandable, but wouldn't be "good for the land". Although it seemed like there was presumably some counter measure they worked out.

Not exactly something you go all vigilante killer over.
    No, but again this chapter Sun-Il says that they've 'already made their decision on how to deal with him'.

That sounds an awful lot like, 'don't worry about it, we'll get rid of him soon'.

Obviously we're missing a lot of information about Sun-Il's clan and what exactly the Black Summon is doing, but it certainly sounds like they don't plan on letting him go through with it.

Given that he's gathering so many souls, does it kind of seem to anybody else that he's planning to try and summon some kind of uber-beast?

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    Well, I just found this today, and I'm loving it so far. A few things about his stats bug me though.

Why is he banking 40 stat points if he's planning on blowing it all on INT anyways? Why not just add it gradually and not have a massive INT jump? Get smarter over a period of time, and not suddenly get a headache from an IQ jump of 70 points.

Why why why is he still at 6 wisdom? THAT ISNT ENOUGH DANGIT, IF YOUD INCREASE YOUR WIS YOU'D BE WISE ENOUGH TO INCREASE YOUR WISDOM. 6x 1.1=NOT ENOUGH.

But yeah, its awesome.
    In the case of stat points, he's basically playing on 'Hardcore' mode. One life, one chance.

If he makes a poor choice with his stat points, he can't just decide to create a new character and distribute them differently.

Honestly I've done similar things in quite a few games. Most of the early levels it's not like you really need those points to deal with the weak monsters, and it gives you a chance to get more into the game and feel out what is going to be a good build and what isn't.

After all, if he HADN'T kept a lot of stat points in reserve, he wouldn't have been able to learn the Yunhon Spirit Technique right away.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Raws are out, translation will be out tomorrow or Saturday, as per usual.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mostly talking chapter. Red Hair doesn't attack him, he talks to Sun-Il a bit, then goes home and talks a bit to his mother.

At the end... I have no idea wtf I'm looking at. It's almost like he's running a dating sim... and then suddenly gender flips to a girl and runs through some of the things he's been through. Possibly just doodling by the artist.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

I shall attempt a translation today! However, as I know not Korean, nor have the motivation to edit images, it shall be in a spoiler, probably completely wrong, and only marginally in sync with the panels!
    Spoiler: Translation START
    Show
    Red: Hey, hey why aren't you stopped!
    Protagonist: She's gonna kill me, wait I have abilities. I'll be fine. Maybe I can talk to her. Why did you stop time you psycho?!?!?
    Red: I thought you stopped it!
    Protagonist: Clearly now is a good time to go on a date. The roof is a good date spot! Hey, wanna go out? There's this great roof on the building.
    Red: Sure.
    Protagonist: Wa?
    *Wandering to the roof*
    Protagonist: Really, this isn't because time is stopped and we are the only two people still moving it it? 'Cause that never works?
    Red: I thought you said this was a good roof?
    *To be discontinued since, I'm really lazy.
    Last edited by Lamech; 2014-01-23 at 09:46 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

I shall attempt a translation today! However, as I know not Korean, nor have the motivation to edit images, it shall be in a spoiler, probably completely wrong, and only marginally in sync with the panels!
    Spoiler: Translation START
    Show
    Red: Hey, hey why aren't you stopped!
    Protagonist: She's gonna kill me, wait I have abilities. I'll be fine. Maybe I can talk to her. Why did you stop time you psycho?!?!?
    Red: I thought you stopped it!
    Protagonist: Clearly now is a good time to go on a date. The roof is a good date spot! Hey, wanna go out? There's this great roof on the building.
    Red: Sure.
    Protagonist: Wa?
    *Wandering to the roof*
    Protagonist: Really, this isn't because time is stopped and we are the only two people still moving it it? 'Cause that never works?
    Red: I thought you said this was a good roof?
    *To be discontinued since, I'm really lazy.
    No need to bother. BAPSCANS is pretty good about getting the translation out decently fast - they usually get it Friday or Saturday.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

The idea was for humor in being totally wrong.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

In fact, they're on the ball this week, translation is up already!

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/219913/...1_by_bap-scans

Spoiler
    Show
    Not too much going on, but the pretty clear implication is that both Chubumoon and the Soul Blaze Fist group are about to put the smackdown on the Black Summoner.

Also, LOL DISHWASHING SKILL!

Last edited by Olinser; 2014-01-23 at 10:51 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm pretty sure Sims can get that as a hidden skill too.

Anyway, shouldn't he study so he can see if he got smarters and if he can get another int point for "diligent studies"?
    Last edited by Lamech; 2014-01-24 at 04:26 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm pretty sure Sims can get that as a hidden skill too.

Anyway, shouldn't he study so he can see if he got smarters and if he can get another int point for "diligent studies"?
    Actually, he never got +1 for it. His Int was 8 before he got that notice, and 8 after it.

I think it may have been a mistranslation - it probably said something like, "Diligent studying will/may cause Int to go up by 1". He hasn't actually gotten the bonus yet.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

The dishwashing skill is interesting, in that it shows that he can get skills for 'normal' day-to-day stuff and not just things appropriate for an RPG.