New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 52021222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: The Gamer

1. - Top - End - #871
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    I don't think it has quite that much support. There's some reasons to suspect it, but there's also some problems that would have to be explained -- everyone else has referred to the Existence Eater as male, and they've said that he's a student seeking a government job, neither of which particularly seem to fit what we know about Jee-Han's mother.
    We've already seen what appeared to be a complete clone of the Mother. We've also seen quite a wide array of powers from Abyss individuals. Quite frankly, some kind of illusion spell to make a woman appear male feels like it should be a rather low rank power.

Or, of course, there's always the possibility that she's Wizard of Ozing or Image Cloaked in Shadow communicating with people - nobody actually meets the REAL Existence Eater, they only meet a false or totally faceless projection that bears zero physical resemblance to the Person Behind the Curtain.

If somebody can't conclusively identify the gender of a speaker, or only hear a deep voice, most people will assume they are male until given evidence otherwise.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2015-04-25 at 09:12 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

New Chapter!

That's...rather an anticlimatic chapter. But sweet sweet power boosting coming up by the looks of it. Dem Skills.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not quite sure what BS did to destroy the Company's fortune. My best guess is that the life insurance thing applies automatically to everything the Company owns, BS attacked the landscape (which the Company recently purchased), and repairing that took all their money.

Jee Han's looking pretty much set for future development now. BS to provide the motherlode of all skill books, while the Witch of Slaughter teaches him the principles and concepts that tie it all together.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

4. - Top - End - #874
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wow, this author is something else. One guy invokes multiple dark-spheres with his black-hole-like powers to defeat someone who had influence over everything in the area, even space and time...and the author manages to make it boring. Not to mention unclear despite exposition. I have probably already said that, possibly more than once, but I wish someone better was writing comic. Same premise, but better written (more dynamic art wouldn't be too bad either, though the art is OK, just nothing exceptional. The writing is the real issue).

EDIT: by the way, since the author already seems to forget some of the Skills Jee-Han has, I wonder if he will be able to manage it at all once the protagonist gets multiple more skill books from the teacher, plus whatever spells he learns from the Witch.
    Last edited by danelsan; 2015-04-30 at 10:17 PM.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Ettin in the Playground

The translation for this chapter seemed a bit spotty, which might be part of the issue. I'm looking forward to seeing the main character's magic lessons, though. After all, now that the fighting is over, we can get back to what's really important: Grinding.

6. - Top - End - #876
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danelsan View Post
    Wow, this author is something else. One guy invokes multiple dark-spheres with his black-hole-like powers to defeat someone who had influence over everything in the area, even space and time...and the author manages to make it boring. Not to mention unclear despite exposition. I have probably already said that, possibly more than once, but I wish someone better was writing comic. Same premise, but better written (more dynamic art wouldn't be too bad either, though the art is OK, just nothing exceptional. The writing is the real issue).

EDIT: by the way, since the author already seems to forget some of the Skills Jee-Han has, I wonder if he will be able to manage it at all once the protagonist gets multiple more skill books from the teacher, plus whatever spells he learns from the Witch.
    I totally agree with this sentiment. I'd do a better job at writing this, and I'm not that good at writing either.

Still, gotta admire the fact that he is doing this work. 'Cause we sure are not.
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

7. - Top - End - #877
    Ogre in the Playground

I just caught up to this after forgetting it for some time. Were chapters 83 and 84 the same?

edit: Ignore this, I found it. The last chapter was kinda disappointing indeed.
    Last edited by Narkis; 2015-05-05 at 05:24 PM.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

8. - Top - End - #878
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

New Chapter!

Just a line of spacing here, nothing to see, move along.

And I guess we just continue down the anti-climatic slope, but at least a great new evil arises...AND IT IS THE FREEMIUM MODEL OF GAMEPLAY WHERE YOU PAY WITH YOUR SOUL!

Also I guess these guys are pulling the strings behind the company? Seems weird they'd need to go to a PC cafe to talk like this, but whatever.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoa View Post
    New Chapter!

Just a line of spacing here, nothing to see, move along.

And I guess we just continue down the anti-climatic slope, but at least a great new evil arises...AND IT IS THE FREEMIUM MODEL OF GAMEPLAY WHERE YOU PAY WITH YOUR SOUL!

Also I guess these guys are pulling the strings behind the company? Seems weird they'd need to go to a PC cafe to talk like this, but whatever.
    Going to a PC cafe is actually a pretty good way to avoid monitoring.

Think about it. These guys are presumably some variety of movers and shakers in the Abyss. As such, people are probably magically and physically spying on them all the time. Yet most of the Abyss dwellers we encountered honestly don't really seem to use or understand modern technology. So they go to a PC cafe, sign up for a new anonymous user name on a random chat program, and have a meeting. Their conversation gets lost in the typical noise traffic of a PC cafe.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

New Chapter?

Looks like we're taking a bit of a break as this first part of the story wraps up.

Some fiat words that says the mother is not the irregular magician, but who can believe that :P Although does say he is working on a new story about the Irregular Magician, which might be interesting. And I guess some explanation on why Life Drain isn't being used...feels a bit like a cop out.

Also I guess to dredge up the reasons why the public PC cafe is weird, I guess it doesn't matter if none of the abyss people are big into tech, but public spaces are really terrible for any sort of security. Easy to intercept traffic, hardware access(so you can do all sorts of logging that would be almost completely invisible), shoulder surfing(a major issue here if he was worried about people spying on him using some means, it would keep the people identity safe, but they'd still get all the information).

11. - Top - End - #881
    Ettin in the Playground

New Chapter?

Looks like we're taking a bit of a break as this first part of the story wraps up.

Some fiat words that says the mother is not the irregular magician, but who can believe that :P Although does say he is working on a new story about the Irregular Magician, which might be interesting. And I guess some explanation on why Life Drain isn't being used...feels a bit like a cop out.

Also I guess to dredge up the reasons why the public PC cafe is weird, I guess it doesn't matter if none of the abyss people are big into tech, but public spaces are really terrible for any sort of security. Easy to intercept traffic, hardware access(so you can do all sorts of logging that would be almost completely invisible), shoulder surfing(a major issue here if he was worried about people spying on him using some means, it would keep the people identity safe, but they'd still get all the information).
    The skill he really should have addressed was Remove Curse. Oh well.

This is the first I've heard of the fact that this is an adaptation of a light novel series, which might explain some of the pacing issues.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Colossus in the Playground

So far Jee Han hasn't really had any adventures where "gradually drain life by standing near the enemy" would have made much of a difference. Does our Gamer really need more skills he never uses?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

13. - Top - End - #883
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    So far Jee Han hasn't really had any adventures where "gradually drain life by standing near the enemy" would have made much of a difference. Does our Gamer really need more skills he never uses?
    I'm not sure what additional "skills he never uses" were suggested. Remove Curse is an issue precisely because it has at least one immediate significant use.

14. - Top - End - #884

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    I'm not sure what additional "skills he never uses" were suggested.
    Life Drain.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

15. - Top - End - #885
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Life Drain.
    Ah. I misunderstood the context of your statement. My mistake.

16. - Top - End - #886
    Ogre in the Playground

I assumed that the pillars were gonna get pulled down by Gnome. The healing was the clever part too.

I assume he just polluted the crap out of the sky. Massive Clean Air Act Fines.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

17. - Top - End - #887
    Ettin in the Playground

Has he done anything with crafting yet?

Granted, it's to be expected that he'll accumulate a bunch of skills that he rarely if ever uses, for the reasons the author said -- his ability makes it easy for him to learn new skills, but he still has to practice them, and most of the time he can only do one thing at once, so he'll tend to end up with a few high-level skills that he spams all the time, and a bunch of low-level skills that aren't usually worth the effort.

I guess it shows Korean fans are discussing the exact same things we are, since the author's post could have pretty much been an answer to everything on this forum, too.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2015-05-15 at 02:12 AM.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Ettin in the Playground

New Chapter?

Sure, and Spider Man's unmasking won't be undone, Agent Coulson will stay dead, Miranda Tate will not be Talia al Ghul, Naomi Harris will not be Moneypenny, Twilight vampires can't have children, and to REALLY reach back in time, Sherlock Holmes is actually dead. Creators start lying their butts off when too many people guess their clever plot twists or accurately predict the track of the story.

Speculation will continue until he shows Irregular Magician on-panel.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2015-05-15 at 06:39 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

19. - Top - End - #889

What the author said could be technically true if the woman living with Jee Han was the Irregular Magician but not actually his mother.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

20. - Top - End - #890
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly I think he's telling the truth. He said the Irregular Magician and the Harem King are from another story he wrote, which just rings true -- he dropped them in as an easter egg and didn't realize how it would look to people who didn't know those stories. To him, it was obvious who they were, so it didn't even occur to him that people would associate them with the open mystery of Jee Han's parents.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Granted, it's to be expected that he'll accumulate a bunch of skills that he rarely if ever uses, for the reasons the author said -- his ability makes it easy for him to learn new skills, but he still has to practice them, and most of the time he can only do one thing at once, so he'll tend to end up with a few high-level skills that he spams all the time, and a bunch of low-level skills that aren't usually worth the effort.
    Which is way he should keep trying to learn as many passive skills and activated-but-long-lasting buffs as possible, as those will level-up either just by keeping them on, or while training other stuff.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Pixie in the Playground

My personal thoughts on the comic, so far.

I stuck through 50 chapters because the premise seemed interesting. However, I've lost interest because the plot has not shown any substantial advancements.

When the main character isn't grinding his abilities, he takes part in meaningless skirmishes. It's like the author thinks his readers can't understand his character is powerful. The plot needs to cross a point of no return.

The main character needs to be challenged.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Ettin in the Playground

New update. Not much else to say about it.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm glad to see it back. I guess the author got so many questions about life drain that he decided to mention why it hasn't been getting used in the comic itself.

25. - Top - End - #895
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Ya, the life drain stuff seems pretty pointedly at people wondering what was going on, it's a bit weird since he's bringing up a bunch of stuff he never bothered to point out originally as far as I can recall(with not being able to move while it's active and it not causing lethal damage), if he had done that when he got it, I'd imagine a lot more people would be accepting. Though the fact he hasn't even looked at telekinesis is still bothering me.

But otherwise, new powers, and a new affinity with the dual casting, seems a bit weird that it's not a skill, but that's probably there to avoid insane power creep, since with the ability it'd likely go up to 4-5 spells at once in like 30-40 levels.

26. - Top - End - #896
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Though the fact he hasn't even looked at telekinesis is still bothering me.
    He does mention it, so at least it isn't forgotten.

But otherwise, new powers, and a new affinity with the dual casting, seems a bit weird that it's not a skill, but that's probably there to avoid insane power creep, since with the ability it'd likely go up to 4-5 spells at once in like 30-40 levels.
    There is a Gamer "your skill has increased" popup for it, so it seems it actually is an official Gamer-style skill for him. The interesting thing about it is that his teacher describes his Gamer skills as essentially a crutch. A useful and powerful crutch, certainly, but one that would atrophy his real skills if he relies on it too much in training. The idea makes a fair bit of sense to me, and gives a much needed limitation on just how much of a free ride to power his natural ability is.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

27. - Top - End - #897
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh, hai there mystery dungeon. I'm betting on it ending in a boss fight and some new rare loot.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Titan in the Playground

Oh God. The translation on Mangacow is just... awful.

It's like the translator doesn't actually speak English.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

29. - Top - End - #899
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

New Chapter!

Looks like he found himself a dungeon? I'm going to guess he and Sun Il are going to crawl all over that for their training session, and possibly the entrance of some new gear.

Also seems he's gained a bunch of new abilities, which I'm guessing we won't get a full detailed list on for a while.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Ettin in the Playground

"DLC"

...wat