Thread: The Gamer

1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Gamer

Translation is up

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/229499/...7_by_bap-scans

Spoiler
    Show
    Interesting, so long hair is a dude, and runs an Abyss auction house.

Makes sense, honestly, ability users would need some forum they could sell ability created goods without risking BOLT FROM TEH HEAVENS.

He also delivers a generic warning to Jee-Han. No real information here, he's connected in some way to so many different factions that the 'certain somebody' could be almost anybody at this point - his mother, Sun-Il, Red Hair, Black Summoner, Black Summoner's daughter.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: dude seriously translation is up, go read it, I'm not spoilering this chapter again
    Show
    So, that guy is awesome. (Although are we sure Jee-Han just didn't get her gender wrong?). Also guessing from Red Head's glaring and Jee-Han's very recent spate of healing the Black Demon Invader is probably the reason. I suppose someone could be moving against the martial artists, or his mother but... they don't seem like they have any enemies.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    Spoiler: dude seriously translation is up, go read it, I'm not spoilering this chapter again
    Show
    So, that guy is awesome. (Although are we sure Jee-Han just didn't get her gender wrong?). Also guessing from Red Head's glaring and Jee-Han's very recent spate of healing the Black Demon Invader is probably the reason. I suppose someone could be moving against the martial artists, or his mother but... they don't seem like they have any enemies.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think it's just a Korean thing. I've seen the exact same joke made in Ability.

I'm too lazy to check, but I remember Black Summoner's daughter having some crazy mental stats for someone level 12. That could be important at some point.
    Tarvek needs to die in a fire.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I think they were high compared to Jee-Han's way of improving stats. However Jee-Han is probably pretty unique. Everyone else seems to get abilities by training over actual fighting. Jee-Han gets them by mass murdering zombies. Training probably gives more stats (remember the diligent study ping?), skills than "xp".

And that's assuming we can generalize Jee-Han to everyone else. The girl clearly isn't a muggle, but I don't think its weird to compared to what a a child of a powerful ability user would have.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

A new New York IC OOC

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn183 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think it's just a Korean thing. I've seen the exact same joke made in Ability.

I'm too lazy to check, but I remember Black Summoner's daughter having some crazy mental stats for someone level 12. That could be important at some point.
    Androgynous individuals being mistaken for the other sex is actually an Asian thing in general, many Japanese manga make jokes about it as well. Crossdressing in general is bigger over there (though not really popular by any measure).

Heck, in a few anime, they're so androgynous that the actual import staff confuses their gender when porting an anime out of the country.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2014-03-11 at 06:49 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I wonder how much money spend he'll spend at the auction site
    My Class is Artificer ... "I see the secret patterns of magic, and through the items I carry, I can use that magic to protect you, heal you... or make you explode."

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venom3053000 View Post
    I wonder how much money spend he'll spend at the auction site
    A better question is how much he'll MAKE at the auction site.

Remember, Sun-Il said that those potions alone are worth thousands of dollars each.

Who knows how much the alchemical ingredients he's been gathering could be worth? Not to mention that MASSIVE Soul Stone.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    A better question is how much he'll MAKE at the auction site.

Remember, Sun-Il said that those potions alone are worth thousands of dollars each.

Who knows how much the alchemical ingredients he's been gathering could be worth? Not to mention that MASSIVE Soul Stone.
    Am I the only one extremely worried about this being called an ABYSS auction house? "No good can come of this", and all that?
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmerged View Post
    Am I the only one extremely worried about this being called an ABYSS auction house? "No good can come of this", and all that?
    Probably.

Sun-Il and several other people call it the Abyss. Right now, it's just a name.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

Raws are out. Not a whole lot happening

Spoiler
    Show
    The entire chapter is just Jee-Han talking to Sun-Il about the Auction House and the Abyss in general.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

11. - Top - End - #191
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmerged View Post
    I'm just keeping in mind that it's an unofficial amateur translation and that some of the noun choices have already felt a bit strange in the past.

Since personally I know absolutely nothing of the Korean language, my linguistic knowledge being limited to a few Romance and Germanic languages using the Latin alphabet, I gratefully go with what I'm given, but I'm not putting too much significance to the names chosen for various things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Raws are out. Not a whole lot happening

Spoiler
    Show
    The entire chapter is just Jee-Han talking to Sun-Il about the Auction House and the Abyss in general.
    Spoiler: RAWS
    Show
    But its a very epic discussion. Also I think they can steal Jee-Han's power and/or life. But the auction girl seemed so nice.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

13. - Top - End - #193
    Bugbear in the Playground

Does the auction guy really look feminine to you all? A single panel at the beginning aside I don't really see where that is coming from.

14. - Top - End - #194

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    Does the auction guy really look feminine to you all? A single panel at the beginning aside I don't really see where that is coming from.
    nope. broad shoulders, narrow hips. even the face looks closer to masculine than feminine. if that's not a man, i call bull.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

The PCs were already a special forces type unit in a kingdom's military, so the campaign started in the general's office.

Extended Homebrew Signature

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

The face is the only real thing.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    I'm just keeping in mind that it's an unofficial amateur translation and that some of the noun choices have already felt a bit strange in the past.

Since personally I know absolutely nothing of the Korean language, my linguistic knowledge being limited to a few Romance and Germanic languages using the Latin alphabet, I gratefully go with what I'm given, but I'm not putting too much significance to the names chosen for various things.
    No, we know it's definitely called "abyss", because the 'Abyss' that his friend referred to is apparently named after the auction house, and he looked that word up in English (see the raw version to be sure). Based on that, I assume that in the original Korean version, the Abyss is named using the English word 'Abyss' spelled out phonetically (hence why he had to look it up.)

Now that we know that the abyss is named for the Abyss Auction House, we can guess why "the Abyss" has an English name -- the 'Abyss Auction House' is probably based in an English-language nation (presumably America.)
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2014-03-13 at 07:02 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

Translated chapter up.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm starting to get a little bit suspicious of Sun-Il and the Chubumoon.

He seems to be in a habit of withholding important information from Jee-Han until Jee-Han directly asks about something.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Translated chapter up.

Spoiler
    Show

He seems to be in a habit of withholding important information from Jee-Han until Jee-Han directly asks about something.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, there is definitely a limit to how much exposition you want to dump on the audience.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

Translated chapter up.

Spoiler
    Show

Maybe. I think it's more an issue of . . . why tell my friend who might not even involve himself in the Abyss things that could get him in trouble? He could die, actually die.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm... I actually think he might be safer at his house. Especially if our theory about his mom being the Bus that Runs Over Those Who Unveil the Abyss is right.

The good thing about people being farmed for energy is it sets up a good reason to have rescue missions!
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nightsbridge View Post
    Maybe. I think it's more an issue of . . . why tell my friend who might not even involve himself in the Abyss things that could get him in trouble? He could die, actually die.
    Multiple people of questionable character are aware that he is an ability user - Red Hair (though she seems more dumb than malicious), Black Summoner + daughter, Auction House Dude.

Also, since the auction house guy appears to have been informed by somebody else with sensory powers, who KNOWS how many people may know about him.

At this point not being involved in the Abyss is simply not an option anymore.

Withholding information about the Abyss from him because Sun-Il doesn't want him to become involved is just dumb. If Jee-Han doesn't know what he's doing or who the major players are, the chances he's going to unknowingly blunder into a bad situation with somebody powerful are very high.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Withholding information about the Abyss from him because Sun-Il doesn't want him to become involved is just dumb. If Jee-Han doesn't know what he's doing or who the major players are, the chances he's going to unknowingly blunder into a bad situation with somebody powerful are very high.
    While I agree with you in general, it would be interesting if there was a detection type ability user that could only detect what people are trying to hide and so the way to counter him is to just not tell anyone about him.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

Multiple people of questionable character are aware that he is an ability user - Red Hair (though she seems more dumb than malicious), Black Summoner + daughter, Auction House Dude.

Also, since the auction house guy appears to have been informed by somebody else with sensory powers, who KNOWS how many people may know about him.

At this point not being involved in the Abyss is simply not an option anymore.

The Auction House Guy only just appeared, though. The others, by comparison, seem like they're manageable dangers -- Sun-Il clearly thinks that the Black Summoner isn't going to be a problem now that the elders are involved, and they have an understanding with the entire Soul Blaze Fist school. Up until today, it was at least feasible that Jee-Han could still back out of the world of the Abyss. Now it isn't.

(Which reminds me -- in theory, Soul Blaze Fist is an entire organization, but we've only seen that one girl so far. I wonder when we're going to see more about them?)

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    The Auction House Guy only just appeared, though. The others, by comparison, seem like they're manageable dangers -- Sun-Il clearly thinks that the Black Summoner isn't going to be a problem now that the elders are involved, and they have an understanding with the entire Soul Blaze Fist school. Up until today, it was at least feasible that Jee-Han could still back out of the world of the Abyss. Now it isn't.

(Which reminds me -- in theory, Soul Blaze Fist is an entire organization, but we've only seen that one girl so far. I wonder when we're going to see more about them?)
    Probably soon.

She appears to be a pretty big hothead, and appears to be getting progressively more pissed of at Black Summoner and daughter. I give it about another 3-5 chapters before she attacks somebody.

In fact, I think at this point the most likely way forward for the next few chapters is that Jee-Han trains up for a chapter or two, remembers 'oh snap I have a big soul stone I should go help the girl', and Red Hair sees him do it.

Que his first official PvP fight with Red Hair, which Sun-Il may or may not appear for, but after the fight Sun-Il gives him the lowdown on the Soul Blaze Fist users.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2014-03-18 at 09:03 AM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Indeed, Jee-Han wants to heal the girl and he has a large soulstone to do it. They are gonna talk and she's gonna get healed. Redhead will almost certainly get angry and attack.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

26. - Top - End - #206
    Colossus in the Playground

Helping the Black Summoner might not be such a good plan - he seems opposed to Soul Blaze Fist and not on hugely friendly terms with Chubumoon, and has no allies of his own that we know of. Given his demeanor it's very likely that he's made other enemies, who would be all too happy to interfere with someone who's helping the Summoner.

We also don't know how the girl got Black Demon's Invasion. If there is a group responsible for it (such as a cult of said black demon) they wouldn't be too happy about the exorcism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

27. - Top - End - #207

on the other hand, the black summoner is, by far, the highest leveled character we've seen. the three character's whose levels are hidden may not be higher level than him, they may simply have an anti detection ability. it would actually make sense for the three of them to have such an ability, as well.

the auctioneer, who deals in information, would want to keep information about himself hidden, in order to aid his business.

the head of a clan would need to keep information about himself hidden in order to protect against assassins.

the mom, who apparently wants to stay out of abyss life, if possible, would need to be able to hide herself from ability users.

so i would theorize that the black summoner is at least close to the chunbumoon leader's level, based on his confidence in acting independently on his territory, without permission or even notification. the black summoner likely does have several enemies, as cocky as he is, but he also probably has the power to deal with most of those enemies.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

The PCs were already a special forces type unit in a kingdom's military, so the campaign started in the general's office.

Extended Homebrew Signature

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Again, I think the level thing is a bit deceptive when it comes to someone's combat ability, for two reasons:
    1) Even if someone had an ability identical to Jee-Han's someone who drilled their skills for 2 years, but only fought a handful of monsters, might be of a lower level than Jee-Han, but much, much stronger. Furthermore, I think that most people in the Abyss spend more time drilling skills than farming for xp.
    2) Most people probably don't act like Jee-Han when it comes to gaining power since they lack the Gamer ability. He has his own unique ability. Somehow I doubt super-smart girl can fight like a level 10 Jee-Han.

On the Black Summoner specifically I think level might underestimates his power by a lot. He has monsters and crap. Its very possible they are NOT included in his level. He is a level 42 who has a bunch of allies, not a solo level 42.
    Last edited by Lamech; 2014-03-18 at 07:42 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Probably soon.

She appears to be a pretty big hothead, and appears to be getting progressively more pissed of at Black Summoner and daughter. I give it about another 3-5 chapters before she attacks somebody.
    I don't know if I'd call her a hot head. In chapter two during the fight between her and Black Summoner he straight up says, "To prepare for what's about to happen... I just wanted to test your skills." If anything, she's just a victim here. It sounds to me like she was just doing whatever she normally does when BS decided to ruin her day.

I'd probably hold a grudge too. Heck, I know I would.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    Again, I think the level thing is a bit deceptive when it comes to someone's combat ability, for two reasons:
    1) Even if someone had an ability identical to Jee-Han's someone who drilled their skills for 2 years, but only fought a handful of monsters, might be of a lower level than Jee-Han, but much, much stronger. Furthermore, I think that most people in the Abyss spend more time drilling skills than farming for xp.
    2) Most people probably don't act like Jee-Han when it comes to gaining power since they lack the Gamer ability. He has his own unique ability. Somehow I doubt super-smart girl can fight like a level 10 Jee-Han.

On the Black Summoner specifically I think level might underestimates his power by a lot. He has monsters and crap. Its very possible they are NOT included in his level. He is a level 42 who has a bunch of allies, not a solo level 42.
    I'm not so sure. You're assuming that other people work according to game rules; but there's no reason to think they do. For most of them, there's no real difference between "skills" and "levels" -- they just have their capabilities and that's that.

I think Jee-Han's power just assigns them a rating based on those overall capabilities, which is generally accurate. It may miss some important subtleties, especially since not everything revolves around obvious RPG-style combat (eg. the super-smart girl's level probably accounts for capabilities that aren't so directly valuable in a fight), but I think the Black Summoner's level is probably roughly accurate and includes his potential summons -- after all, if it isn't based on that, what is it based on? That's what he does.