New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gamer

1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Gamer

I think Jee-Han's power just assigns them a rating based on those overall capabilities, which is generally accurate. It may miss some important subtleties, especially since not everything revolves around obvious RPG-style combat (eg. the super-smart girl's level probably accounts for capabilities that aren't so directly valuable in a fight), but I think the Black Summoner's level is probably roughly accurate and includes his potential summons -- after all, if it isn't based on that, what is it based on? That's what he does.
    This does make sense, i guess the biggest problem now is if the level growth is liniar or exponential?

Else.. i also came up with a theory for why there are ability users in the first place.
    Because we are told Gaia first empowers them with superhuman skills, and then forces them to remain hidden on pain of death.
    And if we then begins to considder what purpose they might hold in the world.. then the one that springs into my mind is "immune system"
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

i think level growth is less than linear. the legion zombie was level 30 something, but level 18 jee-han is easily soloing it. part of that is because it has a predictable attack pattern, but just the fact that he can even do significant damage to it, despite being around half its level, shows, to me, that stats grow much slower than level. unless undead are like in D&D, and have no con score to boost their HP, which is a possibility.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

The PCs were already a special forces type unit in a kingdom's military, so the campaign started in the general's office.

Extended Homebrew Signature

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

So, new raws out.

Spoiler
    Show
    Interesting. What appears to be a witch and probably a... Berserker? Werewolf? make a contract with Black Summoner.

Jee-Han is fighting a ghost dude in the Chunbumoon training area that is level 26. Beats him pretty easily.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

Well then, forums are back up and we have new raws out for the week.

Spoiler
    Show
    RETURN OF TEAL HAIR VIOLENCE BALL!!!!

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Well then, forums are back up and we have new raws out for the week.

Spoiler
    Show
    RETURN OF TEAL HAIR VIOLENCE BALL!!!!
    Spoiler
    Show
    This can only signal good things.
    Tarvek needs to die in a fire.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Translations out.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

8. - Top - End - #218

Spoiler: New Chapter
    Show
    Man mana manipulation is damn versatile. He can just make a controllable rope on the fly. He should just attach several off them to his back and fight like Doctor Octopus.
    He should try lifting himself up with mana.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    I would try to create some sort of whirling doom field. Get closed and get sliced to pieces. Also I would try and combine skills like he did with the spinning and the arrows. For example, combine spinning arrow and fool's dance. Confusing AND Death.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

A new New York IC OOC

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    Show
    I would try to create some sort of whirling doom field. Get closed and get sliced to pieces. Also I would try and combine skills like he did with the spinning and the arrows. For example, combine spinning arrow and fool's dance. Confusing AND Death.
    Spoiler
    Show
    or the rope and the arrow. It would be like a grappling hook but made entirely of mana

11. - Top - End - #221
    Banned

Show
    I get the feeling any strong enemy would just batter through the 'doom field', and more easily than they'd batter through the mana shield at that. No, the best defense for a non-tank is to not get caught unawares and not get hit. Mobility and CC are critical to the latter. The former is a matter of passive detection, which may or may not be tied to Observe.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Really he should be layering defense upon defense. Physical Endurance+Mana Shield+Enchanted Clothing+Whirling Death Field+Life Drain Aura. It doesn't take that long to get non-trivial level in a skill. Physical Endurance is particularly useful due to its passive nature. And he should probably try for similar skills.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

13. - Top - End - #223
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Really he should be layering defense upon defense. Physical Endurance+Mana Shield+Enchanted Clothing+Whirling Death Field+Life Drain Aura. It doesn't take that long to get non-trivial level in a skill. Physical Endurance is particularly useful due to its passive nature. And he should probably try for similar skills.
    Ya, I could see there being a similar skill for Aura resistance or something that he'd get if someone(or maybe even himself) would attack him with an aura energy skill. Seems like that would be incredibly useful.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Colossus in the Playground

Is it possible to stack time-stretching dungeons inside of one another to train even faster? I wonder....
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

New raws out.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sae-Young has had a major power increase since her last appearance, she is now level 39.

She seems to be flirting with him. Clearly she intends to use his superior genetic code to breed an army of super-babies.

She takes him to the training area and he practices his new CC on one of those Ogres, using the mana rope to bind him up and cause him to fall down.. It doesn't last very long, the Ogre breaks it pretty easily, but it does put him on the ground for a few seconds at least. It ought to be pretty easy to level, bind them, they break it, bind them again, Jee-Han probably wouldn't even need to move while he empties his entire mana bar on one enemy.

When he kills the ogre a huge mallet is left over. Sae-Young picks it up and it appears as though she's challenging Jee-Han to a fight. This could get interesting.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2014-04-03 at 10:41 AM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: RAWS
    Show
    I think he got a real CC spell on his second try with the rope. Also he killed the Ogre in one volley anyway. He can probably clear this area pretty easy, and bootstrap himself to a much higher level. Also this seems to be a bigger training area than before, with swarms of ogres.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

Translations are up.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

18. - Top - End - #228
    Colossus in the Playground

It looks like people who aren't important level up a lot more quickly because they can spend all their time training. Also, Jee-han is about to score big, which makes me wonder if he's going to head over to the Auction and try to buy things. After all, what kind of gamer goes this long without hitting the shops for new gear?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    It looks like people who aren't important level up a lot more quickly because they can spend all their time training. Also, Jee-han is about to score big, which makes me wonder if he's going to head over to the Auction and try to buy things. After all, what kind of gamer goes this long without hitting the shops for new gear?
    More like, "People preparing for a major conflict level up faster".

Something is definitely brewing with the Chunbumoon. I'm guessing Sae-Young and Sun-Il's rapid leveling is due to them training for an upcoming fight, rather than just in general.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

20. - Top - End - #230

so jee-han just made nearly $1,000, assuming chunbumoon pays full price for the hammer. not bad for 30 seconds worth of work. he really should check out the auction, though, and see if they have any Int based weapons. as much as he may want to avoid it, he needs some way to defend himself from within melee range. also, what level does anyone thing the legion ogre, if one spawns, is going to be?
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

The PCs were already a special forces type unit in a kingdom's military, so the campaign started in the general's office.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lunar2 View Post
    so jee-han just made nearly $1,000, assuming chunbumoon pays full price for the hammer. not bad for 30 seconds worth of work. he really should check out the auction, though, and see if they have any Int based weapons. as much as he may want to avoid it, he needs some way to defend himself from within melee range. also, what level does anyone thing the legion ogre, if one spawns, is going to be?
    There isn't going to be a 'legion ogre', that was something unique to zombies.

A boss ogre is probably going to be something like 'Enraged Ogre' (last ogre standing becomes enraged, takes less damage, does more damage, gets faster, and is immune to CC) or 'Ogre Boss/Lord'.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

New raws out.

Spoiler
    Show
    Looks like Jee-Han got paid by Chubumoon for the mallet. He suddenly decides to withdraw 1 million Won ($1,000) and just pulls a wad of cash out of thin air.

He deposits it in a bank, then notices Black Summoner's daughter in an alley. She wants to pet a kitten, but it looks like the Freezing effect is back. Jee-Han pulls a soulstone out and heals it so she can pet the kitten. No, I am not joking.

Then 2 shadowy dudes show up. Looks like they either are hunting Jee-Han or the daughter, not really clear which.

If they do start fighting, this will mark Jee-Han's first official fight against a denizen of the Abyss, not just a monster spawned from an illusion barrier.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2014-04-10 at 11:22 AM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

23. - Top - End - #233

translations up.

Spoiler
    Show
    so, her curse can harm those she touches, as well. if she could somehow boost her vitality enough to survive the curse at full force, she could weaponize that.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

There's a speed-translator working on it too. Obviously their translations are not as good, but they are fast; they've already translated the next chapter.

Spoiler
    Show
    Holy **** her description of what will happen to her is dark. I guess having a demon's invasion and a demonic attribute gives you a somewhat nasty view of the world.

My theory: She's capable of taking these two guys, but doesn't want to use her powers in front of him, either because they're horrifying or because they'd endanger him. Perhaps she also thinks that he doesn't have what it takes to kill people, which would make him a liability in a fight despite his powers... especially if her own powers are only useful for killing.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2014-04-17 at 08:20 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    There's a speed-translator working on it too. Obviously their translations are not as good, but they are fast; they've already translated the next chapter.

Spoiler
    Show
    Holy **** her description of what will happen to her is dark. I guess having a demon's invasion and a demonic attribute gives you a somewhat nasty view of the world.

My theory: She's capable of taking these two guys, but doesn't want to use her powers in front of him, either because they're horrifying or because they'd endanger him. Perhaps she also thinks that he doesn't have what it takes to kill people, which would make him a liability in a fight despite his powers... especially if her own powers are only useful for killing.
    I kind of doubt that.

Spoiler: undefined
    Show
    Remember, she is only low teens in level. The guy in armor blocked multiple level 12 Spinning Mana Arrows from a low-20's level Jee-Han without even being injured. I seriously doubt she can do anything meaningful in a fight other than scream for Daddy (which, given that he can apparently teleport, might actually be very effective).

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

26. - Top - End - #236
    Banned

I kind of doubt that.

Spoiler: undefined
    Show
    Remember, she is only low teens in level. The guy in armor blocked multiple level 12 Spinning Mana Arrows from a low-20's level Jee-Han without even being injured. I seriously doubt she can do anything meaningful in a fight other than scream for Daddy (which, given that he can apparently teleport, might actually be very effective).
    I'm assuming Aquillion is talking about some sort of godmode related to the Black Demon. But I don't buy it either.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    I'm assuming Aquillion is talking about some sort of godmode related to the Black Demon. But I don't buy it either.
    Right now I'm operating under the assumption that the Black Demon Invasion sickness is acting like a killspawn debuff. As in, if somebody dies with it on them, they spawn a demon. But they're still dead.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

Also, I read the translation you're speaking of. She doesn't even come close to implying that she can beat them herself. She simply doesn't care if they catch her or not.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

29. - Top - End - #239

Right now I'm operating under the assumption that the Black Demon Invasion sickness is acting like a killspawn debuff. As in, if somebody dies with it on them, they spawn a demon. But they're still dead.
    with all the different types of abilities out there, do you think anyone has a raise dead ability? because all they have to do is write down some instructions, and jee han can learn it. and he has around $20,000 by now to buy a copy of a book that a normal person may not even be able to learn the ability from, depending on how vaguely it's written.

which reminds me. he seriously needs to figure out what level of detail is required for a book to become a skill book. is merely describing the technique enough, or does the book actually have to be step by step instructions on how to use the technique, or would something between the two extremes work?

30. - Top - End - #240
    Firbolg in the Playground

Love the huge noses on the foreign guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!