New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gamer

1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by lunar2 View Post
    with all the different types of abilities out there, do you think anyone has a raise dead ability? because all they have to do is write down some instructions, and jee han can learn it. and he has around $20,000 by now to buy a copy of a book that a normal person may not even be able to learn the ability from, depending on how vaguely it's written.

which reminds me. he seriously needs to figure out what level of detail is required for a book to become a skill book. is merely describing the technique enough, or does the book actually have to be step by step instructions on how to use the technique, or would something between the two extremes work?
    I don't know, even if he could do it, actually raising somebody from the dead seems like it would be in the top 3 things Jee-Han could do to bring the wrath of Gaia down on him.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

On another note, the original group doing the translations (Bapscans) has now fragmented. Apparently a group of guys that left will continue to translate the Gamer, but we'll have to see how this affects the already-slow release of translations.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Bugbear in the Playground

i'm not worried about the pace. i put up with erfworld, after all. what i'm worried about is if the quality drops. i think it would be frustrating to deal with something like that speed translator that got linked.

as for raising the dead. as long as the muggles don't find out, gaia shouldn't care. raising the dead is less of a rules violation than creating valuable objects from thin air, and jee han already does that routinely. resurrection merely breaks the rules of human biology. creating something from nothing breaks the laws of physics themselves, and even changes the total mass of the universe.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

The PCs were already a special forces type unit in a kingdom's military, so the campaign started in the general's office.

Extended Homebrew Signature

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

i'm not worried about the pace. i put up with erfworld, after all. what i'm worried about is if the quality drops. i think it would be frustrating to deal with something like that speed translator that got linked.

as for raising the dead. as long as the muggles don't find out, gaia shouldn't care. raising the dead is less of a rules violation than creating valuable objects from thin air, and jee han already does that routinely. resurrection merely breaks the rules of human biology. creating something from nothing breaks the laws of physics themselves, and even changes the total mass of the universe.
    Yes, I agree, that Flow translation was pretty poor. Also, the guy making the announcement that teh group was breaking up... to be blunt, he sounds like a huge **** and one of the major reasons the group broke up in the first place.

On the Gamer note... how is creating items in any possible way more disruptive than raising the dead? Creating items is just making some extra inert materials (heck Gaia may actually be pulling the materials from somewhere physical so they may not actually be created so much as transported - heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Jee-Han finds out that he was actually inadvertantly stealing from the Auction House the entire time).

Raising the dead, we're talking full on circle-of-life/afterlife-disrupting actions here. They're already dead, their soul has already passed on to whatever destination it is going to. Apparently the zombies in the illusion barriers were made from soul remnants. Raising somebody from the dead would jerk the soul back from wherever it is. We're talking major disruption here.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

5. - Top - End - #245

but unless i'm mistaken, gaia only cares if muggles notice the disruption. after all, there are people who literally burn their own souls for power, and as you pointed out, the illusion barriers themselves gather souls to form the monsters in them. i don't think messing with the natural order, even on a huge scale, is going to get you any punishment, so long as nobody finds out that shouldn't find out.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

The PCs were already a special forces type unit in a kingdom's military, so the campaign started in the general's office.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

For those interested, the members that were translating The Gamer joined a new group, ONeoRA, which can be found at www.oneora.net.

No concrete word yet on when they will resume the translation, but hopefully soon.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

New raws out.

Spoiler
    Show
    The loli witch and wolfskin dude that Black Summoner had hired earlier show up and absolutely crush the 2 people chasing Jee-Han and the daughter. They chat a bit with Jee-Han, give him something (looks like a card like the Abyss Auction guy gave him), and then bounce.

And, while I notice that the author is very obviously avoiding letting us see the levels of either groups of 2, their relative levels still highlight how low on the Abyss power hierarchy Jee-Han really is at this point.

Jee-Han couldn't even injure one of them, and yet they were crushed by two guys that stated outright they couldn't handle an A-rank enemy (and were surprised that Black Summoner thought he could).

So if we assume the 2 of them are B-rank, that puts the 2 chasing Jee-Han at C or even D rank.

They certainly seemed to think Jee-Han was weak compared to them. Which puts Jee-Han probably another tier below THEM.

To sum up, it means that Jee-Han, even after his training and leveling, is most likely D rank right now, and at most low C-rank.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the 2 that were chasing them are low-mid 30 levels, and the loli/wolf combo are low high 30/low 40s.

They commented Black Summoner was weakened, so his initial level of 46 may not represent his full power. Most likely an A-rank is level 50+.

Last edited by Olinser; 2014-04-24 at 10:58 AM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

8. - Top - End - #248
    Banned

I only just noticed the Ferghus shoutout in chapter 15. Hah.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Speed Translation
    Spoiler: Speed Trans
    Show
    So it appears Jee-Han isn't very powerful (sans his super awesome healing powers) yet. Guess he is in for another round of training. Maybe he can add some spikes to his bindings or something. That seemed to work pretty well even if short lived.

Also it looks like all the action girls fall for him. Except the evil red-haired one.
    Last edited by Lamech; 2014-04-25 at 01:18 PM.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

10. - Top - End - #250
    Banned

So...'murder excluder', huh?

11. - Top - End - #251
    Colossus in the Playground

Who are these guys again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

12. - Top - End - #252
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Who are these guys again?
    Hwan Sung-Gon hired them to kill any "cleaners" under B-rank who showed up.

Speaking of, why is his daughter's curse named for him, do you think?

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    Hwan Sung-Gon hired them to kill any "cleaners" under B-rank who showed up.

Speaking of, why is his daughter's curse named for him, do you think?
    Considering he's the Black Summoner, either something he summoned up infected her by accident, or he did it on purpose to try and get a Demon into our world.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

14. - Top - End - #254

the translation for 33 is up from ONeoRa. yeah, definitely much better than the one on mangajoy. i especially love having all the pages together, instead of having to load them one at a time.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Considering he's the Black Summoner, either something he summoned up infected her by accident, or he did it on purpose to try and get a Demon into our world.
    That's my tentative opinion as well, but the Witch of Massacre also calls him the Black Devil, so there may be other interpretations worth considering.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Considering how driven BS is to cure his daughter then i find it unlikely he is directly responsible for her condition.

And i kinda think her mother is a missing part of the puzzle.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Considering how driven BS is to cure his daughter then i find it unlikely he is directly responsible for her condition.

And i kinda think her mother is a missing part of the puzzle.
    The only evidence we have that he's interested in a cure is him talking to her.

Him lying to her is not particularly far-fetched.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

18. - Top - End - #258

The only evidence we have that he's interested in a cure is him talking to her.

Him lying to her is not particularly far-fetched.
    there is also the fact that the mercs he hired are protecting both his daughter and jee-han. it's possible that they only protected jee-han because he happened to be there, but at the very least they know who he is. so i think it is more likely BS is trying to keep him alive until he gets strong enough to cure the invasion for good.

that doesn't mean that he's not responsible for her being infected in the first place, though. he definitely seems to be a risk taker, so it's entirely plausible that he accidentally summoned something that possessed her, or she was hit by an attack from a summon that infected her with some sort of spawn, or any number of other scenarios.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

I'm wondering why he didn't scan the two freaks? Knowing their level or even if it is ??? (too high or some obscure masking effect) could be very useful to know if running is the only option.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

there is also the fact that the mercs he hired are protecting both his daughter and jee-han. it's possible that they only protected jee-han because he happened to be there, but at the very least they know who he is. so i think it is more likely BS is trying to keep him alive until he gets strong enough to cure the invasion for good.

that doesn't mean that he's not responsible for her being infected in the first place, though. he definitely seems to be a risk taker, so it's entirely plausible that he accidentally summoned something that possessed her, or she was hit by an attack from a summon that infected her with some sort of spawn, or any number of other scenarios.
    We don't know what motivated him to hire the mercs in the first place.

At this point there are essentially 2 possibilities.

1) He's trying to cure his daughter, and whatever he's doing is taking his attention, so he hired the mercs to protect her (possibly people are going to try to kill her to stop the Black Demon Invasion from happening). He may also have hired them to protect Jee-Han so he can level enough to cure her.

2) The Black Demon Invasion needs time to finish killing her/spawning the demon. Whatever he is doing off-screen is accelerating the process. He hired the mercs to make sure she stays alive long enough to spawn the Demon.

Either is possible at this point.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

We don't know what motivated him to hire the mercs in the first place.

At this point there are essentially 2 possibilities.

1) He's trying to cure his daughter, and whatever he's doing is taking his attention, so he hired the mercs to protect her (possibly people are going to try to kill her to stop the Black Demon Invasion from happening). He may also have hired them to protect Jee-Han so he can level enough to cure her.

2) The Black Demon Invasion needs time to finish killing her/spawning the demon. Whatever he is doing off-screen is accelerating the process. He hired the mercs to make sure she stays alive long enough to spawn the Demon.

Either is possible at this point.
    Or he hired them to protect Jee-Han after people started purchasing info about him.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

A new New York IC OOC

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    Or he hired them to protect Jee-Han after people started purchasing info about him.
    As a third possibility, regardless of his motivations regarding his daughter, the Black Summoner could be pulling a Mob Protection Gambit and doing BOTH.

A classical Mob Protection Gambit is when you hire some guys to rob/vandalize a store multiple times, then you come in and pull the, "Hey I understand you're having some trouble with some wise guys, I can protect you, but it's going to cost you XXX a month."

Meaning, that Black Summoner is the one that initially sold information about Jee-Han, and now he's the one protecting him, so that he can reveal his protection to Jee-Han to get him on his side (or demand a favor/service from him in return for his continuing protection).

It's pretty well set up right now, Black Summoner could show up and say, "The guys I hired to protect my daughter tell me that you were with her when she was attacked. I'll have them protect you as well, but in return I want XXX favor."
    Last edited by Olinser; 2014-04-28 at 02:50 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

Raws are out, some interesting stuff happening this week!

The mother's ??? level is revealed and it is....

Spoiler
    Show
    Level 15.

So, this obviously raises some questions. Obviously it could be a doppleganger/false information of some kind, but most likely it means that she has an ability that blocks other abilities, and she turned it off for whatever reason (or his ability is getting powerful enough that she can't block it anymore.)

He gets on his computer and accesses the Abyss Auction. He pulls up information on himself, which obviously makes him nervous.

On the item side of things, there are a LOT of Skill Books up for sale.

Which makes sense, when you think about it. While obviously people couldn't instantly learn them the way Jee-Han can, Sun-Il has already explained that people can learn abilities with proper instruction and training. So they're basically buying an instruction book to practice a new skill, and eventually get more powerful. So skills that don't 'cross the flows' mentioned earlier, would obviously be in very high demand.

He looks at one of them and it costs 200,000,000 Won (about $200,000). Even the 'cheap' ones seem to cost 1 million Won and up ($1,000).

He buys one, and it shows up at his window near instantaneously in a box carried by a UFO. No, I am not joking.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2014-05-01 at 11:48 AM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

24. - Top - End - #264

it's up on mangajoy, too.

Spoiler
    Show
    he leveled up the illusion barrier to 7. wonder what new monsters he can summon, and if he got special abilities like time variance or debuffing barriers yet?

he bought two books. one on basic european magic theory. that one's probably going to act like a regular textbook, not a skill book. the other is a cheap summoning book for an earth monster, because he wants a meat shield. that one should be a skill book.

also, he wasn't looking at info on himself. he saw a slave auction, and was imagining what his page would look like if he had been captured earlier.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

it's up on mangajoy, too.

Spoiler
    Show
    he leveled up the illusion barrier to 7. wonder what new monsters he can summon, and if he got special abilities like time variance or debuffing barriers yet?

he bought two books. one on basic european magic theory. that one's probably going to act like a regular textbook, not a skill book. the other is a cheap summoning book for an earth monster, because he wants a meat shield. that one should be a skill book.

also, he wasn't looking at info on himself. he saw a slave auction, and was imagining what his page would look like if he had been captured earlier.
    If it's on magic theory, then it may give him a passive bonus to MP or spell damage.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

If it's on magic theory, then it may give him a passive bonus to MP or spell damage.
    It may also provide a framework for him to start developing new spells. Right now, he's swinging in the dark.
    Tarvek needs to die in a fire.

27. - Top - End - #267

oh. maybe a bonus to the skill level of newly created/learned skills, or a bonus to the rate skills level up? that would be very useful.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

oh. maybe a bonus to the skill level of newly created/learned skills, or a bonus to the rate skills level up? that would be very useful.
    I meant more along the lines of the ability to create new skills. Right now he's just sort of experimenting with mana (spinning it, stretching it, etc.) but this may be the first step to getting abilities that he couldn't just come up with on his own. Or what you're talking about, we'll just have to wait and see.
    Tarvek needs to die in a fire.

29. - Top - End - #269

yeah, i knew what you meant. but i was thinking along the lines of it being a skill book, and what kind of bonuses that skill would give. i don't think you can represent creativity or anything like that with a number, so i think it is either a textbook that actually teaches him what he needs to know in order to create skills, or a skill book that somehow makes learning skills easier, maybe in one of the ways i mentioned.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

He could probably pick up a lesson from the Witch of Slaughter too.
    Last edited by Lamech; 2014-05-03 at 09:21 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC