New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Novash: The New World (4E)

Tarbh, Minotaur Ranger with Companion Mathúin

Mathúin
    Spoiler
    Show

Ability Scores: Strength 16, Constitution 14, Dexterity 12, Intelligence 6, Wisdom 12, Charisma 6

Size: Medium

Speed: 5 squares

Defenses: AC 17, Fortitude 19, Reflex 15, Will 17

Hit Points: 56 (Level 5)

Attack Bonus: Level + 2

Damage: 1d12

Melee Basic Attack: Claw; level + 2 vs. AC; 1d12 + Strength modifier damage.

Trained Skills: Athletics, Endurance

As soon as the man is in Tarbh's face, he has the urge to gore him with his horns....but of course they are tipped currently. So instead as he walks away from the man, he spits on the ground to him and says, "All empires fall human....how long does yours have left.....", and is led back to the room with the others. He sits down with his companion and pets him, trying to soothe the big beast. He hears the talk of the others once the guards have left, "Careful with what you say....there was at one point an invisible guard as we marched here that stayed with us. We do not yet know if he is still here. One moment, hold your breaths." Tarbh then stands up and as quickly as he can starts kicking up as much loose dirt and dust all around the room as he can & charging around as well, keeping a keen eye out to see if he sees any outline of a figure that may be hidden from their eyes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception to check for anyone invisible (1d20+13)[14](27)
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Tarbh

The minotaur stomps around the room causing noise and dust. Many other prisoners grumble and complain, and a few even stand to confront Tarbh, but after looking over his massive frame, sit back down, scowling. Towards the end of his display, he feels one small rock bounce off his shoulder, thrown by one cowardly soul behind him. No outlines nor unexpected bodies discovered.
    No longer active in forums.
    Thank you to all who have brought me joy in game and out.
    Praise be to Dakaran for the elf monk avatar! (at rest)

PCs
    Melhved Brombriar, Goliath Warden - Keep of the Shadowfell (retired)
    Aeren Tatallaner, Eladrin Bard - Scales of War (retired)
    DMings

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Mathúin
    Spoiler
    Show

Ability Scores: Strength 16, Constitution 14, Dexterity 12, Intelligence 6, Wisdom 12, Charisma 6

Tarbh stops his stomping around at the sight of no one in hiding....or at least he thinks so. He immediately turns around to find the person who threw the stone at him and narrows his eyes, "I may have my horns tipped....but that doesn't mean I can't gore you through anyway...." He lets the threat hang there and then goes to sit with his fellow conspirators. "I saw no one's outline in the dust, but we should speak low anyway. Mathúin and I wish to be rid of this place as much as anyone. I am certain we can get out of our chains, and most likely get others out of theirs as well. We just need to pick the most opportune moment. Where is everyone assigned?"
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2014-01-02 at 12:26 PM.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Elyas, Deva Psion|Shaman
    Character Sheet | Description

Spoiler: Combat Statistics
    Show

{table]STR|
    |+2|AC|

CON|12|+3|Fort|

DEX|8|+1|Ref|

INT|19|+6|Will|

WIS|19|+6|Init|
    +1

CHA|12|+3|HP|
    40/40

Healing Surge||
    |Surges/day|
    0/7
    [/table]

Elyas gives a bit of an amused look as the minotaur makes his display. Once he has finished, he exhorts the minotaur for his outburst, We are all prisoners only of our emotions, he that throws the rock is trapped by his frustration, be not enslaved to your anger. It is that the "General" uses to bind you, not those chains. Can you burst that rage as easily?

As for an invisible follower on the trail, it was no more than Cravash, it was how he disappeared from the scene he created for us at the dock, it was how he knew the Elementalist attacked a guard, it was how he arrived here before us. Further, it is all a show, nothing more than the enchantments on his armor. He processes no Magic himself, just a highly skilled warrior.

A warrior enslaved to his emotions and we can wield that weapon against him.
    Last edited by Yarael; 2014-01-02 at 04:18 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Ashaska caughs and wheezes from the sudden storm of dust, trying to brush the dirt from her hair and skin (and most importantly, out of her wounds). "Thanks for *cough* nothing, cowboy." The tiny woman grumbles to herself as she tries to burn away the particles on her inflamed wrists and ankles. "And hell if I know where they gonna put me. Guy talked a lot and said nothing."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Banned

Genocidicles, Human Fighter
    Taking the warnings from the other prisoners in mind, the human got up and went with the guard to see the general when it was his turn.

"General Cravash? I hope you heard of me before, " he greeted the general respectfully, offering a bow. Originally, he'd planned to take a different strategy entirely - but the Deva's warnings made him reconsider his faith in the superior officer. "I would like to discuss my exoneration of the fallacious accusations that have landed me here. ...I have no desire to return - my business with the mainland is concluded and my son is now an officer, but my skills and honor are squandered in the mine here. I have invested far too much of my life into this Empire to see it fail at the hands of the foolish and malicious!"

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Genocidicles

Cravash leans forward and folds his hands together in front of him. "I'm afraid I have been far removed from the continent for some time. Fame and notoriety mean nothing here. As for your exoneration, the time of judgement has past. Here we deal with consequences. Here is where you can power the Empire with your work. Here you mine iron to strengthen the Empire's backbone. Show pride and dedication in your work and to the Empire, and, perhaps, we'll see what talents you have that would benefit the Empire in other ways." He thumps loudly on his desk with his fist and the guard enters to return you to the sleeping cave.

PCs
    DMings

8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground

Echadar Dumril, Eladrin Warlord

Back in the cave with the others, Echadar finds himself in a foul mood.

My debt? It's the empire that owes me! They took everything from me! The only debt I owe is vengeance.

Too late, he realizes he said all that out loud, but luckily the only ones who seem to have noticed are the dragonborn, the minotaur, the deva, and the...well...she isn't a pixie. Not really.

Softly, then, he joins the conspiring party. We must be patient, he whispers, and make our move only when the opportunity presents itself. I've got more than a few tricks, and nothing in particular to live for, but even so, I like what skin I have left and plan to occupy it for as long as I can. Nothing rash. Wait for my signal. You will know it when you see it.

But inwardly he is not nearly as sure the plan, insofar as it could be called a plan, will work. Will I know it when I see it? How long will we end up waiting? How long again if I miss it?
    Last edited by Sol; 2014-01-04 at 03:03 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69

Planetar

Elyas, Deva Psion|Shaman

Show

{table]STR|
    |+2|AC|

CON|12|+3|Fort|

DEX|8|+1|Ref|

INT|19|+6|Will|

WIS|19|+6|Init|
    +1

CHA|12|+3|HP|
    40/40

Healing Surge||
    |Surges/day|
    0/7
    [/table]

Elyas stands, "Yes, we need patience. Tomorrow, next week, the struggle is long and never complete. And fear not Echadar, you will know the time," the deva reassure the eladrin as he places a massive hand on his shoulder with a firm but surprisingly light touch.

Elyas begins a circle around the prison, looking for any magic, and studying their guardians.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Elyas attempts to read the guards, how they react to his talk.
    Insight +11: Wisdom and half level bonus +6 plus Training +5 = (1d20+11)[20](31)
    Elyas detects magic.
    Arcana +15: Intelligence and half level bonus +6 plus Training +5 plus Background +2 plus Theme +2 = (1d20+15)[2](17)
    Last edited by Yarael; 2014-01-04 at 03:21 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Banned

Genocidicles, Human Fighter

Coming back to the prison, Genocidicles was of two minds... in light of his fellow prisoner's warnings, and suspicions of the way the Empire operated now, he didn't quite trust the general. However, his own faith in his Empire convinced himself that the situation wasn't as bad as it could have been: There was no way this colony, separated from the rest of the empire, could stand entirely as a labor colony: He'd be able to prove his integrity, loyalty, and worth, join the guard, and lead the Imperial forces in taming this land in short order.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Mathúin
    Spoiler
    Show

Tabh snarls a bit at the Deva's "speech", "No, Deva, the general uses chains to bind me....and my companion. My rage is my tool. I use it when I have to and put it to the side when I don't need it. Do not preach to me, priest, for you know not what I have lost nor what my life experiences have taught me." He stops for a moment and continues, "But he does have much pride and arrogance about him.....and we can use that to our advantage. He may have his eyes on us, but he also thinks he is invincible.....but no man is such." He turns to the Eldarin, "I will wait for your signal, but do not wait too long. I do not want to be a slave here for one minute more than I have to, nor do I want Mathúin to be chained for more than he has to.....you think you have seen rage, Deva? Wait until the rage of the Wild comes. Mathúin will not be pleased to have been at the mercy of human. And he shall let them know."

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

12. - Top - End - #72

Planetar

Elyas, Deva Psion|Shaman

Show

{table]STR|
    |+2|AC|

CON|12|+3|Fort|

DEX|8|+1|Ref|

INT|19|+6|Will|

WIS|19|+6|Init|
    +1

CHA|12|+3|HP|
    40/40

Healing Surge||
    |Surges/day|
    0/7
    [/table]

"Forgive me my manners Tabh. We can never know the other's pain, we can only listen with an open heart. Strife can only stelel us against the other, not forge us together. It was only of this I spoke, let us wield our weapons together, eh?"

Elyas finds a good corner to sit at, one to watch the guards and what he can see of the mines, and waits, singing softly to himself.

"Kamba za mauti zilinizunguka mie
    Mafuriko ya maovu yakanitia hofu
    Kamba za mauti zilinizunguka mie
    Mitego ya mauti ikanikaribia mimi
    Niliona shida,Niliona taabu

Nilimuacha mimi, nilipata shida
    Nilimuacha mimi, nilipata taabu"

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Elyas
    Spoiler
    Show
    The guards mumble quietly to each other and glance only occasionally in your direction. You do not believe they are too concerned with your words.

You detect faint magics on the masked one and the large human who just returned. There is a powerful enchantment upon the 'fairy' in the cage.

PCs
    DMings

14. - Top - End - #74

Planetar

Elyas, Deva Psion|Shaman

Show

{table]STR|
    |+2|AC|

CON|12|+3|Fort|

DEX|8|+1|Ref|

INT|19|+6|Will|

WIS|19|+6|Init|
    +1

CHA|12|+3|HP|
    40/40

Healing Surge||
    |Surges/day|
    0/7
    [/table]

Elyas is a man of few words, he already has reached his quota. Unless someone starts making plans, he is content to spend his time conserving strength and observing the guards and prisoners. He will also continue to monitor the health of the group.

Show
    Elyas attempts to read the prisoners to find any traitors.
    Insight +11: Wisdom and half level bonus +6 plus Training +5 = (1d20+11)[2](13)
    Elyas tends to the prisoners.
    Heal +11: Wisdom and half level bonus +6 plus Training +5 = (1d20+11)[4](15)
    Last edited by Yarael; 2014-01-09 at 01:02 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75

Shamgar moves closer to the group and lowers his voice.

"Clearly we cannot stay here. I don't care what the Cravash says, I would rather die from whatever is out there than stay here.

If we're going to escape, we need to wait for the right moment, and we need some way to signal each other when that time comes.
    "

DM'ing Trouble In Orlane IC | OOC

Stick figure character portraits I've made for myself and others.

"I think most gamemasters would agree that their world functions significantly more smoothly before the PCs ever show up." -

16. - Top - End - #76

Planetar

Elyas, Deva Psion|Shaman

Show

{table]STR|
    |+2|AC|

CON|12|+3|Fort|

DEX|8|+1|Ref|

INT|19|+6|Will|

WIS|19|+6|Init|
    +1

CHA|12|+3|HP|
    40/40

Healing Surge||
    |Surges/day|
    0/7
    [/table]

Echadar here, the massive deva knobs toward the eladrin, intends to signal us when the time is right. I, for one, trust he will know the time when it arrives. I feel the first order should be to free the gladiator, Elyas looks toward the cage of the transmuted man, And of course burst the bonds of those who need their hands to fight. I do not, my mind cannot be shackled and it is all the weapon I need.

What I a, not certain of though, is which way it best to flee. I am curious as to what the mines hold. Often times, if this is partially natural, there are veins that way be a surer path to freedom than to fight our way through the opening of compound. I think we may be better equipped to fight in the tunnels. Regardless, I know the locations of the snipers from today's show, if comes to that.

Show
    Elyas will watch the guards as they bring prisoners in and out. He looks to see where the keys are, or how they open the gate.
    Perception +6: Wisdom and half level bonus +6 = (1d20+6)[12](18)

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Elyas

Spoiler
    Show
    You see no outwardly suspicious behavior from any of your roommates before or after they have spoken to the general, though some have different reactions from their talk. Some are almost energized, some are disheartened, and some are angered.

After tending to minor cuts and some exhaustion from the cage-bound one, all inmates are in good health.

Keys to a very heavy deadbolt are kept on a necklace kept inside the armor of the lead guard. They do not exchange keys at the change of the watch so each lead must have one.
    Last edited by WaffleLord; 2014-01-13 at 01:07 AM.

PCs
    DMings

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

To Work

Time passes slowly without the sun or stars overhead, but when sunlight begins to be seen at the mouth of the cave, you are rousted with clanging bars and torches. You are given a short time for morning ablution and waking before being turned out of your hole. Instead of moving out of the cave, you are guided deeper within the tunnels.

Following a twisting path of ore car tracks, you turn left and right, untaken forks lead only a short distance before ending. Pick marks score the walls everywhere. Finally, a natural cavern opens on your left with a wave of heat from an exposed pool of magma, evidence of volcanic activity not far away. Shortly after your are ushered into a wider, dug-out cavern. It is only eight feet high with rough walls and ceiling. On three walls run thick veins of grey stone. Pick axes and iron rings driven into the floor litter the area.

You are led in and chained to the rings. The guards give the directions in monotone, uncaring voices. Pick the walls to loosen the stone. Fill the buckets. Empty the buckets in the ore car. Repeat.

Before being chained, Tarbh is given Ashaska's cage and lead out to the ore car. Mathúin's cage has been wheeled along the track. The guard steps forward. "Before you start pickin'," he says to Tarbh, "teach this little lady how to motivate your beast. He's going to be our new car puller." He chuckles slightly as two other guards come forward with leather straps and an enlarged horse harness.

Spoiler
    Show
    Map to come tomorrow.

PCs
    DMings

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

"I'd rather melt some rocks, y'know." Ashaska mumbles as she is handed off to do essentially nothing but sit on her ass. She isn't exactly great with animals, but she too eyes the harness with some apprehension. She likes her animals free and with some fire, not the docile, overbred things that are all the rage among the hoity-toity folks in the Empire's upper echelons.

Her voice drops to a whisper. Then gets a little louder again when she realises that that is probably way too quiet. "Look, I've got no illusions about 'motivating'" Air quotes. "Mathúin, was it? Ain't worried about him, more worried about the guards trying something stupid if Friend Bear doesn't pull. And escaping from here probably ain't happening, today at least. If you want him to listen to me, then I'll tell him when he needs to pull or stop. If not, I'll just, well, sit around and not bother him." The small woman isn't in a great mood, but she won't let it out on animals (yes, she fought some animals, and rather exotic ones at times, in the arenas, but that is beside the point and they tried to kill her as well). There is no right or wrong to animals, they just act. Can't fault something like that.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2014-01-13 at 04:48 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Mathúin
    Spoiler
    Show

Tarbh snorts at the guards and quickly swipes the harness away from them before they get too close to Mathúin, "I shall put it on him. You can check it later, but I will put it on him. He will be less likely to strike out if I do it." Tarbh starts putting on the harness and starts talking to Mathúin in an odd language, if you could even call it a language, and finally finishes up. After the guards check the harness and go back to their business, Tarbh answers the little woman also in a hushed voice, "He will listen to you and means you no harm. He knows that you are just as much of a captive as he is. However, he will only take so much abuse from the guards before he will strike out. He listens to me and trusts me with his life.....but he is a wild bear, and thus I have no control over him expect that which he gives me. If the time comes in which he decides he has had enough, I will be joining him. And if we die together so be it, but we will live together or die together." Tarbh looks around and then continues, "If that time comes, you are more than welcome to join us and try to get out with us. If I have learned anything from my forests, it is not to judge something's strength by the size of its body."

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Ashaska nods, understanding all too well. Fire constantly fueled eventually gets out of control. She turns to the guards. "Alright, ready to go. Just... secure me somewhere on Friend Bear here where he can hear me and just back off so he doesn't take off a hand or something. I can understand you blokes, he can't, you know?"

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Mines

The guards take a step back from the animal after securing the cage to a small clasp on the front of the mine car, watching the little figure controlling the large one with some trepidation. Buckets of smashed rock are poured into the car with loud clanks and clatters. When the car has been filled, one guard signals for Ashaska to follow along the tracks. She is lead around the corner and down a tunnel to a wooden freight elevator. The car is placed on the lift and detached from the beast and the guard calls, "UP!" The lift, car, and Ashaska rise ponderously ten feet into the ceiling and through another twenty feet of rock before entering a cavern above. It is only twenty feet in diameter with one track leading away down the corner where bright, flaming light can be seen and three other short spurs with waiting ore cars. The workers, clad in heavy leather marked with soot, lift their eyes and chuckle as they peer into the cage. One pokes a finger at the bars chuckling, "Even a wee one looks good after this long." His partner slaps him and unclasps the cage. The loaded car is wheeled to a side spur while an empty car is rolled on, the cage attached, and set down the lift. At the bottom, the bear is reattached and the car is guided back to the mining site to refill again. The round trip takes about ten minutes.

PCs
    DMings

23. - Top - End - #83

Planetar

Elyas, Deva Psion|Shaman

Show

{table]STR|
    |+2|AC|

CON|12|+3|Fort|

DEX|8|+1|Ref|

INT|19|+6|Will|

WIS|19|+6|Init|
    +1

CHA|12|+3|HP|
    40/40

Healing Surge||
    |Surges/day|
    0/7
    [/table]

Elyas works diligently, falling into an easy rhythm working the pick. He almost seems to enjoying himself , working away at the rock. It is obvious he is quite accustomed to manual labor, pacing himself to keep himself fresh throughout the day.

He keeps a beat that paces the others, urging them to fall his lead. With each clank he gives the group a call, measuring time.

Show
    Elyas work his way around the room, seeking any fissures, gaps, or sources of fresh air.
    Perception +6: Wisdom and half level bonus +6 = (1d20+6)[20](26)

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Mathúin
    Spoiler
    Show

Tarbh keeps a close eye on his friend and the small woman as much as he can. He know she won't do anything to hurt him, he isn't sure how he knows this but he does, but he is mainly keeping his eyes on the guards. He wrecks havoc on the stone, taking out his many frustrations on it and making lots of headway in his area. Tarbh smashes and smashes at the stone, growing more and more fierce until he finally grows tired and slows down, keeps a constant pace of work.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception to watch the guards actions and rotations (1d20+13)[7](20)

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Sitting in her cage, Ashaska is being economical with her commands, having to strain her voice a bit more than just talking to be heard with all the noise around and not wanting to micromanage Mathúin (she'd be annoyed if someone did that to her, after all). Riding up, she watches the miner leering at her with a blasé, crooked eyebrow. "Ooh, I'm gonna light your fire, alright." Suddenly, she seems to dart forward, her eyes, hair, tattoos and suddenly appearing wings like liquid, searing fire aiming to take that poking fingertip right off.

After scaring the lout, it is back to business as usual. Hurray.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Intimidate check to teach the guy a little respect
    (1d20+10)[18]

26. - Top - End - #86

Bel'Shazar picks up a pickaxe and swings it a little, trying not to be obvious about what he is doing. If push comes to shove, he could use it as weapon. He starts to work at the walls, positioning himself as close to the magma pool as he can. The warmth radiating from the molten earth provides some relief from the moist coolness to which he is unaccustomed.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

How many other laborers and guards are in this area?

DM'ing Trouble In Orlane IC | OOC

Stick figure character portraits I've made for myself and others.

"I think most gamemasters would agree that their world functions significantly more smoothly before the PCs ever show up." -

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Elyas
    Spoiler
    Show
    Making your way around the cavern without tripping someone with your chain is difficult, but you manage to not hurt anyone. The walls are as solid as they appear. Not a crack of rift, nothing but rock of varying hues. The ceiling, however, is suspect. There are several places were small cracks are visible in the flickering torchlight. One more visible one near the south wall is actually whistling very, very faintly.

Tarbh
    Spoiler
    Show
    The guards rarely come in the mining cavern. They prefer to stand outside closer to the magma cavern, watching the bear from a distance. Each time Ashaska takes another car to the lift, a guard comes and sticks his head in the mining area and extolls you to work harder. During the fourth trip, about two hours into working, a different guard leans in and just looks before retreating.

Ashaska
    Spoiler
    Show
    He pulls his hand back quickly but chuckles, a little less energetically. As they move away, he turns and scowls, but his partner keeps him moving. "No sense loosin' pay over it...or a finger."

Bel'Shazar
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the mining cavern, there are eight others. Three guards escorted you here, but your can hear at least four different voices echoing outside between clanging pick strikes and the deva's singing.
    Last edited by WaffleLord; 2014-01-16 at 03:04 AM.

PCs
    DMings

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Mines

After three hours of work, a crate of breads, dried meats, and wilted vegetables are brought in and placed in the middle of the cavern. Four buckets are also placed along the east wall by the door. "Lunch. Be quick," the guard dropping the buckets grunts. He leaves quickly but shortly returns with Ashaska's cage and places it in the crate with food.

PCs
    DMings

29. - Top - End - #89
    Banned

During the brief lunch break, after working in his mine dutifully, Genocidicles asked the others, "How's everyone holding up? I saw the soldier disrespecting you... I'll have words with him later," he said, turning to Ashaska's cage. "... I don't think this place will last long without a rebellion - hopefully, the General will see that treating people like criminals and slaves when they're held for crimes they did not commit and serving sentences they can never complete.

This place and its soldiers are a disgrace to the empire I helped build.
    "

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

"Y'know, that's sweet and all, but save your breath. This is exactly what the Empire is, they only like docile little drones." Ashaska has to squeeze against the cage bars and reach for scraps, each time boiling the food and water in her hands before ingesting it. She won't be walking through bonfires like she used to, but swallowing hot food is still within the realms of painless possibility for her. She doesn't want to know how many rodents, insects, diseases and who knows what else maybe had contact with all that and with her weak little body, Ashaska isn't keen on risking anything.