New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Cucumber Quest: Basically if Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door was a comic

So, recently, I found this cool little webcomic known as Cucumber Quest, which is one of the cutest, funniest, most enjoyable webcomics I've read in a long time. I'd highly, highly recommend checking it out, especially if you were a fan of the Paper Mario series, especially The Thousand Year Door; that game was one of the author's favorites, and a lot of the humor is inspired by it.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Cucumber Quest: Basically if Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door was a comic

Yeah, I like it quite a bit. When the first chapter was still coming out, I remember thinking that it reminded me a lot of that game, which is still one of my all-time favorite games. Then, more recently, I decided to check out the author's art tumblr and she just came right out and said it was a huge influence. So, that made perfect sense.

New readers can appreciate that the main page gives you the option of starting from the beginning without seeing the current page. I know I hate when I get linked to a new webcomic and the front page contains huge spoilers.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Cucumber Quest: Basically if Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door was a comic

I think Cucumber Quest would be my favourite webcomic at the moment. The art, expressions and colours really make it.

4. - Top - End - #4

I adore the art style of this comic. However, the pacing of each update is really slow. I enjoy it best when I haven't read it in a week and then come back to see the past couple of updates in succession.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Muenster Man View Post
    Rich is probably thinking something like: "Oh no, why did I think it would be a good idea to have to draw so many minions!"

This is easily the most accurate comment on a comic ever.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralCheez View Post
    Yeah, I like it quite a bit. When the first chapter was still coming out, I remember thinking that it reminded me a lot of that game, which is still one of my all-time favorite games. Then, more recently, I decided to check out the author's art tumblr and she just came right out and said it was a huge influence. So, that made perfect sense.

New readers can appreciate that the main page gives you the option of starting from the beginning without seeing the current page. I know I hate when I get linked to a new webcomic and the front page contains huge spoilers.
    Yeah, the thing with the choice to start at the beginning is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    I think Cucumber Quest would be my favourite webcomic at the moment. The art, expressions and colours really make it.
    Yeah, it's my second favorite webcomic ever at the moment!

I adore the art style of this comic. However, the pacing of each update is really slow. I enjoy it best when I haven't read it in a week and then come back to see the past couple of updates in succession.
    I did just start reading... I hope that it isn't that bad.

6. - Top - End - #6

GnomeWizardGuy

It's true that only a little plot movement happens each individual page, so I can see the preference for catching up weekly and reading four at a time. I find the pretty art makes up for a little slow pacing.

There's also a whole bunch of neat touches with the website. The header image changes to be in sync with the current plot and the background updates per chapter/kingdom. The character page is neat too and is currently in the process of an update.

Also if you'd want to see what this art would look like in a real game, Gigi D.G.'s doing the backgrounds in Shantae Half-Genie Hero. Plus Gigi's twitter (gigideegee) is fun too, she seems to be always there and sometimes posts weird/cool sketches.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2013-12-03 at 09:33 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

I find it amusing that it updates roughly three times a week, and that's still considered painfully slow.

8. - Top - End - #8

It's not the number of updates that is slow (4 a week is quite nice), it's just that each update doesn't advance the plot very much. And I agree with Trazoi, the art is pretty enough to warrant seeing each update as they come.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rich is probably thinking something like: "Oh no, why did I think it would be a good idea to have to draw so many minions!"

9. - Top - End - #9

Yeah, I know. I just thought it was funny to think about when you consider the update schedules of some of the other webcomics out there. I know some fan communities that would kill for 3-4 pages a week.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Newest update: It appears Cucumber's wand has been empowered! Will his battle competence leap forward???

11. - Top - End - #11

Is that... the water stone? Because that would be a huge power boost.

Actually, if we're still following Paper Mario logic, then yeah, I guess that makes sense. This should get interesting.
    Last edited by AdmiralCheez; 2013-12-06 at 10:50 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'll read it just because you namedropped my favorite game ever. TTYD.
    Top 5 Favorite Characters:
    5) Leeky Windstaff
    4) Malack
    3) Vaarsuvius
    2) Redcloak
    1) O-Chul

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralCheez View Post
    Is that... the water stone? Because that would be a huge power boost.

Actually, if we're still following Paper Mario logic, then yeah, I guess that makes sense. This should get interesting.
    'Tis the Splash Stone, not the water stone! But it very well might be. In which case, woooooaaaaaaaaaaah.

Quote Originally Posted by Dronuspk View Post
    I'll read it just because you namedropped my favorite game ever. TTYD.
    I highly doubt you'll regret it.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    'Tis the Splash Stone, not the water stone!
    Funny how it's called that by name in the very comic I linked, and I still wrote the wrong thing... Oops.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Splash Wand revealed! Cucumber kicks all the fire ghost's busts in a dazzling display of aquatic magic!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Another update. It appears the magic of Cucumber's wand has sufficient force to free the fire ghosts from Lagato's evil spell. However, uh... I have a bad feeling Nautilus is gunna flip in the next update.

17. - Top - End - #17

GnomeWizardGuy

Another update. It appears the magic of Cucumber's wand has sufficient force to free the fire ghosts from Lagato's evil spell. However, uh... I have a bad feeling Nautilus is gunna flip in the next update.
    I'm hoping her eel friend that she summons with that thing is okay.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Aaaand update!

Nautilus chews Lagato out. It appears her words are having critical effects on his self-image! I bet next panel he's going to be crying.

19. - Top - End - #19

Aaaand update!

Nautilus chews Lagato out. It appears her words are having critical effects on his self-image! I bet next panel he's going to be crying.
    I'm more concerned with how mad Nautilus is. I hope she's only mad because Crescendo is a huge jerk and not because she can no longer summon her eel companion
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

It's all fun and games until someone breaks a cell phone Royal Instrument of Summoning.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

It looks like... Legato was a creepy dork the entire time! Amazing!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Aww... I think Legato, er, whatever his name is, is super crushing on ole' Nauty. Also: Bacon is loved.

23. - Top - End - #23

Bacon certainly deserves some love after all the treatment he's gotten from Lettuce and Tomato.

Panpipe's crush is cute, but also tragic, seen as it's unlikely she'll ever forgive him for breaking her phone.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Aww, Bacon gets an applause

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

New comics!

We're finally approaching the Noisemaster. I found the princess's response to her rescuers to be priceless.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

I am loving the colors in the recent comics. The lots of contrasts lends a very unique look to it.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

He's shorter than expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #28

GnomeWizardGuy

gigideedee on twitter:
    did you think i was kidding about noisemaster being the size of a cat. did you think that was a frickin joke

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Heck yeah, I am loving the contrasts in this latest update too. I think coolness is inbound.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I like how the last row needs a panel break just to put their heads not-quite-on-a-level.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew