New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Cucumber Quest: Basically if Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door was a comic

What's that thing in the last panel?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Cucumber Quest: Basically if Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door was a comic

Mutemaster, apparently. Boy, he didn't last long.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Well. Now comes a question: Does the Noise Blaster charge from all loud noise (presumably not including Noisemaster) or just from Piano? Because I could totally see Almond pushing it up to 99.5% there and then everyone has to tiptoe and whisper.

(Also, how many people will be outraged by what Almond did? Probably more than just Noisemaster.)
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2014-01-28 at 10:42 PM.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, that was a bit predictable, a nice try from Almond but Piano she's not.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder - defensive silence or is it going to do something worse at close range?
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

Not sure exactly what's going on in the most recent update (465)...
    Spoiler
    Show

Liquus is there, obviously. But how? Is the amulet still broken, and he come out of it anyway? Or is it repaired, and if so, how? Also not sure what is actually happening in the first three panels ... Did Liquus somehow blow Noisemaster out of the way?
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

7. - Top - End - #37

If I had to guess, I'd say it looks like maybe the blast somehow charged up the summoning instrument enough to bring in Liquus? And then he absorbed the blast and shot it back at Noisemaster?

Or maybe he was just there the whole time, waiting to dramatically enter the scene.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

I find myself really liking this comic, but I've never even heard of Paper Mario. Could someone explain it to me?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Plerumque View Post
    I find myself really liking this comic, but I've never even heard of Paper Mario. Could someone explain it to me?
    I can only really describe it circularly - it's an RPG series a lot like Cucumber Quest, except with Mario. Mario gathers a bunch of colourful companions and travels to a bunch of themed worlds to collect seven dinguses and most of the time it usually doesn't take itself too seriously. It's really good - the Thousand Year Door was one of my favourite Gamecube games, and the original Paper Mario on N64 is worth picking up on the Wii store.

10. - Top - End - #40

If you want to read more about them (story spoilers, but you can skip past that section if you want) the first one is here, and Thousand Year Door can be found here.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, that makes sense. Thank you both. The art styles aren't similar, though, correct?

12. - Top - End - #42
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Ah, that makes sense. Thank you both. The art styles aren't similar, though, correct?
    Other than they're both cartoony, there's a fair bit of difference. Except when Gigi D.G. doing fan stuff.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2014-02-12 at 11:21 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

So, we finally know how old Cucumber is:
    Quote Originally Posted by gigi's tumblr
    Here’s the updated vague age guide:

Slightly Younger Kid Group - Almond, Peridot, Cosmo
    Kid Group - Nautilus, Mandolin, Panpipe
    Not 9 Group - Cucumber
    Younger Adult Group - Saturday, Carrot, Parfait, BLTs, Piano, Bakerette sisters
    Yes, He’s an Adult Group - Bacon
    Adult Adult Group - Cabbage, Cordelia, Lute, Cymbal, Caboodle
    Not as Old as the Mustache Makes Him Look Group - King Kelp
    N/A?? - Dream Oracle, Nightmare Knight, Disaster Masters
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #44

Wait, then how old is Lettuce?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Muenster Man View Post
    Rich is probably thinking something like: "Oh no, why did I think it would be a good idea to have to draw so many minions!"

This is easily the most accurate comment on a comic ever.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeeze, this has taken a turn for the unfortunate!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Can anyone tell what shape Noisemaster's face is under the cracks?
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

I believe its showing the 100% of the fully charged Noise Blaster.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    I believe its showing the 100% of the fully charged Noise Blaster.
    Really? Looks more like 101 to me. Or maybe l0l?
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #49
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

It looks like Cucumber was right! Sort of.

Spoiler
    Show
    Have I ever mentioned my love of surprise creepy?

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh my goodness, this is suddenly highly unsettling.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

So, the change is that now he has a giant doom laser powered by screaming (and of course this generation is the one with a really loud princess)? Or is he going to point it at the Knight or something?
    My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

I think he's going to destroy an entire kingdom with it, which assumedly as never happened before.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

All the child cast are diabetus-inducing cute and endearing. I want to adopt all of them, Cucumber, Almond, Peridot and Nautilus.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Update! This new schedule is way too slow. x.x

Spoiler
    Show
    It looks like the Nightmare Knight shielded the musical kingdom. Why does he want the world to be stuck in this cycle?

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    It looks like the Nightmare Knight shielded the musical kingdom. Why does he want the world to be stuck in this cycle?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, if the cycle gets broken, I guess the Nightmare Knight would be out of a job, and/or possibly dead, so that would be a pretty good incentive to keep things going. Also, he can't rule over a kingdom that doesn't exist, so why let all those perfectly good subjects go to waste?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralCheez View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, if the cycle gets broken, I guess the Nightmare Knight would be out of a job, and/or possibly dead, so that would be a pretty good incentive to keep things going. Also, he can't rule over a kingdom that doesn't exist, so why let all those perfectly good subjects go to waste?
    Spoiler
    Show
    He's done this a hundred times, and he's playing every trope straight. Why would he want this job in the first place? He's not getting paid; it only ends with him being trapped again. If the cycle was broken, he'd be the one ruling everything. I think that the only reason he'd want for the cycle to continue is that there's an alternate purpose to it, and the Nightmare Knight isn't quite as evil as he seems.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmmmm....read it all.

Spoiler: My prediction:
    Show

The Oracle is the real villain. she is keeping the cycle going and putting on an act of stupidity.

she is the only one who has any reason to gain from it continuing, whatever it is, because she is the only one who makes sure it keeps going.

Knightmare Knight....tried to stop Oracle? got cursed by her? hmm...

I'm also on discord as "raziere".

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Why would he shield the city, then? Because he's a fundamentally good person and doesn't want the cycle broken at the cost of so many lives?

29. - Top - End - #59

Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe he's afraid to break the cycle? I mean, he's done this a hundred times over thousands of years, so maybe this is all he knows. Like he's just going through the motions because that's what he's supposed to do. It's his eternal destiny. Maybe he's tried to break the cycle in the past, and failed, realizing that trying to fight it is a futile effort.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Why would he shield the city, then? Because he's a fundamentally good person and doesn't want the cycle broken at the cost of so many lives?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think he's a fundamentally good person and he doesn't want the cycle broken at all, for a reason unexplained.

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralCheez View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe he's afraid to break the cycle? I mean, he's done this a hundred times over thousands of years, so maybe this is all he knows. Like he's just going through the motions because that's what he's supposed to do. It's his eternal destiny. Maybe he's tried to break the cycle in the past, and failed, realizing that trying to fight it is a futile effort.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Nightmare Knight does not seem like the kind of guy who would be afraid of doing something different--to me, at least.