New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Cucumber Quest: Basically if Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door was a comic

Update!

Spoiler
    Show
    It appears Noisemaster is upset about the Nightmare Knight's protection of Melody Kingdom...

2. - Top - End - #62
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Cucumber Quest: Basically if Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door was a comic

Hmmm...

Spoiler
    Show

I think that stone might be a fake-out. Compare it now with how it looked here:http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-30/

I mean, maybe it's just an art upgrade, and he's actually giving up after his weapon failed, but given the whole trick with Mutemaster that he pulled, I think might be trying to get them to let their guard down again.

I'm waiting for one of the Disaster to try to actually kill a princess before she can sign the sword. Noisemaster seems like he'd be the type to do so.

On the other hand, this does seem like the proper end point for the arc, given the length. I just have to wonder what's going to happen to stop them from trying to destroy Mutemaster here and now.

EDIT: It looks different from what Noisemaster turned into when it showed up here just a few strips ago, so I think it's pretty safe to say it's not an art upgrade. http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-458/

EDIT 2: Orrrr not. It's showed up in a bunch of other strips, and has had different amounts of musical notes from one strip to the other and was red to begin with. So this might actually be the end for Noisemaster.
    Last edited by YourNewOverlord; 2014-03-01 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Ehhh, nevermind.
    Bow before your Overlord!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

Interestingly, I was re-reading the chapter so far, and the Nightmare Knight specifically says that once Trebleopolis is destroyed, he'll go after the Ripple Kingdom. Although it could have been just a bluff to threaten Nautilus, it's still making me wonder what the heck this guy's motivations are?

- He doesn't want the legendary hero killed; he could have done that himself.
    - He doesn't want the kingdoms destroyed, as he (presumably) just shielded one of them from destruction.
    - Somehow having his minions capture princesses is part of his overall goal.
    - If he really wanted to rule the world, then why, with all of his seemingly unlimited power, is he just kind of biding his time?

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

hm.

we have disaster orbs that need gathering every 5000 years...

an evil overlord that must be summoned and be defeated by a hero every 5000 years.....

....by a sword that needs to be signed by all seven princesses, every five thousand years....

this all feels like some big magical ritual or something. like, its all an elaborate ritualistic spell that needs to be cast at a certain time by a multiple people playing certain roles in the ritual for it to work. a vast magical spell that encompasses the entire world and when completed, does something important.

think its like some sort of big magical ritual to keep the world from being destroyed or something? like its some sort of process where you have to do a certain thing at regular intervals to maintain a shield or something, like to stop yourself from turning into a werewolf at the full moon you have to dress up in a certain way and chant certain words right before it becomes full or something.

only what could possibly be so horrible that the ritual must be kept secret from everyone and have everyone belief that this is all something real? The Oracle lady clearly has a hand in all this, maybe not villain, but the maintainer of the cycle so that something worse doesn't happen?
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I was reading the TVTropes discussion page - apparently someone made a song for Noisemaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Oh, I was reading the TVTropes discussion page - apparently someone made a song for Noisemaster.
    That ain't just someone--that's TOBY RADIATION FOX, also known as THAT GUY WHO COMPOSED A LOT OF MUSIC FOR HOMESTUCK

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Update.

Spoiler
    Show

Well... can't say I saw that coming.

After all of Noisemaster's flashiness, the contrast here is gorgeous and really fitting.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Update!

Spoiler
    Show
    The Dream Oracle looks kind of adorable here, somehow.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

(There was also a Wednesday update.)

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    See, there is the Oracle again! and look, she is getting nervous.

I'm on to her. She is up to something. She can't have done this for so long by being incompetent.

More evidence for her being the real villain. I bet she is more scared about her complicated ritual being broken than of people dying...

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Hm. I wonder if Cuco's going to get both new spells or just one?

(also, nice split)
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #72

I was going back through the archives and I've been really impressed with how much the art has improved. It already started off as one of the prettiest webcomics. Even comparing the end of Chapter 1 with the end of Chapter 2 shows a pretty big difference. Especially with the use of colors and shading.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Muenster Man View Post
    Rich is probably thinking something like: "Oh no, why did I think it would be a good idea to have to draw so many minions!"

This is easily the most accurate comment on a comic ever.

13. - Top - End - #73

Agreed. The pacing has gotten a bit slower though, and I'm really hoping the next chapter won't continue that trend.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

14. - Top - End - #74

Right? How many updates does it take to show a laser firing? Apparently, the answer is 3. I hope it picks up too, but honestly, I'll keep reading if it doesn't
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Muenster Man View Post
    Rich is probably thinking something like: "Oh no, why did I think it would be a good idea to have to draw so many minions!"

This is easily the most accurate comment on a comic ever.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

three is all that was ever made, the rest are past that.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

And to be fair, that was sort of a big moment.
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #77

Indeed. The climax of the chapter holds special exception in regards to pacing, in my opinion. If it were just another laser firing though, like the tenth or twentieth one to go off, I'd probably have an issue.

Unless, of course, it's a sequel spin-off featuring COMMANDER CABOODLE, CHAMPION OF JUSTICE!

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Last update
    Spoiler
    Show
    Suggests that the whole world the characters live in is nothing but a video game...that would explain how the same plot repeat itself again and again...

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by Clistenes View Post
    Last update
    Spoiler
    Show
    Suggests that the whole world the characters live in is nothing but a video game...that would explain how the same plot repeat itself again and again...
    Alternatively,
    Spoiler
    Show
    it could be that the next disaster master is digital-themed / video-game themed. Probably has to do with that red-and-black stone with the power icon. At first glance, I immediately thought of these guys from Metroid Prime 2.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

See how the Oracle cut off the end of chapter summary thing just as it said something about something being foreboding?

she is the villain I tells you! the villain!

and I think the Digimaster (lets face it, thats probably the name of it) is probably the more likely possibility....

21. - Top - End - #81
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

See how the Oracle cut off the end of chapter summary thing just as it said something about something being foreboding?

she is the villain I tells you! the villain!

and I think the Digimaster (lets face it, thats probably the name of it) is probably the more likely possibility....
    Spoiler
    Show
    My vote would be for "Glitchmaster" or "Crashmaster".

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Its my opinion that the mysterious voice is the true final boss. Dun dun dun

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Poor LT...

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Doot doot doot Cucumber Quest updates that are /really/ neat!

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

More new updates!

I'm a little unsure of the direction the comic is taking, to be honest. It seems like this side story is very off-kilter compared to the rest.
    Last edited by Guancyto; 2014-04-01 at 01:53 PM.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Huh. So apparently, the April Fools comics aren't showing up if you go to http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/recent.html
    My Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #87

I'm not sure if it's also an April Fool's joke, but this tweet seems to imply that this is the actual prototype to the Cucumber Quest of today. I don't care if it's true or not; this is still a great gag. I especially love the "no critiques, please" everywhere.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

It also has this disclaimer which is a pretty straightforward and serious explanation that this is 100% true.

I suspect 'no critiques please' is added in later though!
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

I kinda thought the prototype was a little cute. @.@

30. - Top - End - #90
    Firbolg in the Playground

Wow, he's actually got eyes!
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.