New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Cucumber Quest: Basically if Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door was a comic

I've been following this comic for several months now and I've been enjoying it quite a bit.

As to the current discussion, I think it's pretty clear the lapses are meant to be caused by some kind of memory manipulation. I do have to wonder, though, if the discrepancy between what Nautilus remembers from legend actually reflects a change in Rosemaster/Thornmaster's identity? And if so, what it signifies?

As to the larger story, I think I can guess what's going on - though likely I'm not the first to think of this. Essentially the whole situation is some sort of story or play, with each of the characters acting out their role - some more willingly than others, and with varying degrees of realizing this. As to why this story exists and why it keeps recurring, I think it's one of those "Be careful what you wish for" situations - either the first Hero, or the Nightmare Knight himself, being the one who made the wish. The Knight is now bound by the constraints of the story he's in, so he's obligated to make sure the bad guys lose. And I don't think Rosemaster has grasped that this is why he's acting against them. Glitchmaster? We'll see.

My guess for who granted the original wish and is perpetuating the cycle? The Oracle, of course.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Cucumber Quest: Basically if Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door was a comic

Quote Originally Posted by Illogictree View Post
    I do have to wonder, though, if the discrepancy between what Nautilus remembers from legend actually reflects a change in Rosemaster/Thornmaster's identity? And if so, what it signifies?
    Missing the barely-subtext, I suppose. Rosemaster's MtF.

Yes, it's been explicitly confirmed-by-author.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been following this comic for several months now and I've been enjoying it quite a bit.

As to the current discussion, I think it's pretty clear the lapses are meant to be caused by some kind of memory manipulation. I do have to wonder, though, if the discrepancy between what Nautilus remembers from legend actually reflects a change in Rosemaster/Thornmaster's identity? And if so, what it signifies?

As to the larger story, I think I can guess what's going on - though likely I'm not the first to think of this. Essentially the whole situation is some sort of story or play, with each of the characters acting out their role - some more willingly than others, and with varying degrees of realizing this. As to why this story exists and why it keeps recurring, I think it's one of those "Be careful what you wish for" situations - either the first Hero, or the Nightmare Knight himself, being the one who made the wish. The Knight is now bound by the constraints of the story he's in, so he's obligated to make sure the bad guys lose. And I don't think Rosemaster has grasped that this is why he's acting against them. Glitchmaster? We'll see.

My guess for who granted the original wish and is perpetuating the cycle? The Oracle, of course.
    I don't quite agree with your theory, but I feel that something sinister is happening with our family neighborhood Dream Oracle!

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post

Ah, I thought that might be the case. I wasn't sure though. I only follow the comic, not the author's other social media, so I missed that confirmation.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Bugbear in the Playground

So I just noticed that their father has arrived in the lair of the Guardener. I wonder what he's up to this time?

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Apparently, providing exposition is enough of a distraction for the Guardener to forget to guard.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #187

Well, I didn't see that one coming. I was figuring it would be Cosmo or some other character we've seen before, but I was not expecting that.

That's truly terrifying.

And still nobody notices Cabbage sneaking around.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

... Uh.... It's twenty days too early for April's fool so I guess this is a serious update ? O_o
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2015-03-10 at 07:04 PM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

9. - Top - End - #189

RedKnightGirl

*gasp*
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    *gasp*
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    *gasp*
    *gasp*
    *gasp*
    Okay, I'm done now.
    Hi! I'm a Girl At A Desk. I like DnD and Path of Exile a lot.

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show

By Howl

10. - Top - End - #190
    Orc in the Playground

OK, that last update... made me laugh out loud. Good job, gigi.

...Yeah, looks like Cabbage just stole the magic flower. I wonder what he's doing with it? Is it for himself, for Mr. R, for Rosemaster...?

...Just as a random thought, is Mr. R actually Rosemaster in disguise or something? Or am I imagining things?

11. - Top - End - #191
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

...Yeah, looks like Cabbage just stole the magic flower. I wonder what he's doing with it? Is it for himself, for Mr. R, for Rosemaster...?
    If you notice on the first panel it looks like he stuffs it into almonds pocket.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AquaLord View Post
    If you notice on the first panel it looks like he stuffs it into almonds pocket.

I can't believe I missed that. It just looked to me like he was sneaking off.

Hm... here's a thought. Is the contest 'fake' because there's some sinister purpose (like a distraction) behind it, or is it fake because it's rigged and Mr. R has already decided the winner?

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

... I still don't get what is so scarry about the bunny.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2015-03-16 at 04:42 PM.

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post
    ... I still don't get what is so scarry about the bunny.
    from our perspective? its not. its just a bunny, and the fact that they find it scary is funny.

from their perspective its a completely different art style than the one they usually see in the comic. imagine if a cartoon character suddenly came out of the TV into real life.....but without adapting its art style to the real world. now imagine that you never seen cartoons before and don't know what a TV is. you'd be wondering what in the world is that freakish abomination at best and screaming your head off at the eldritch abomination somehow moving through a 3-D world with only two dimensions at worst.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

New page.

Spoiler
    Show
    I

Um

What?
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

So, the door doesn't understand "opening".
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #197

Poor Peridot, she just looks so... fatigued by all this door stuff. She would never survive being a main hero.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

So... looks like the flowers represent people. The cabbage was a big hint, obviously, but then when Carrot gave Cucumber one and kept the other I had a feeling they were "them"...which a quick Google search confirmed.

I wonder what's up with that... Good thing Sir Carrot is so good with plants.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Orc in the Playground

Ah-ha! I just realized that myself before coming and posting - funny Cuco wouldn't know what a cucumber flower looks like...

As to why Rosemaster has a bunch of flowers... sympathetic magic? That would explain why Nautilus and Peridot were separated and imprisoned - they don't have flowers associated with them!

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah-ha! I just realized that myself before coming and posting - funny Cuco wouldn't know what a cucumber flower looks like...

As to why Rosemaster has a bunch of flowers... sympathetic magic? That would explain why Nautilus and Peridot were separated and imprisoned - they don't have flowers associated with them!
    Ooh you're right! I was wondering about that one.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

What's MtF?

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    What's MtF?
    Male to Female transsexual.
    Despite everything, its still me.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Well. This is an unexpected result. Distrust? Maddened by power? I like how the glitching isn't affecting what Rosie does.
    My Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Quite the opposite, I think. My theory is Rosemaster still trusts (loves?) Nightmare Knight too much to betray him, even if he hasn't been honest with her.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome Iron Chef avatars by Neoseph7! Murkrow avatar of coolness by Introbulus!

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Well. This is an unexpected result. Distrust? Maddened by power? I like how the glitching isn't affecting what Rosie does.
    I actually expected this to happen. The number of subversions of various trope opened the possibility.

I suspect Rosemaster is doing her (their?) thing out of love for Nightmare knight. Namely taking down Glitchmaster.

It reminds me of what Rich said about two villains working together opposed to what players where expecting. This is pretty much tha,t except with another villain as stand-in for player. Glitchmaster thought that like every villain Rosemaster wants to win at all costs, while Rosemaster probably only wants to win to earn Nightmare knight's favor/love. Glitchmaster misunderstood Rosemaster and will probably get an ass whooping fast.

Very well written, I must admit.
    Last edited by -D-; 2015-05-03 at 07:21 AM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

I doubt this is the last we've seen of GlitchMaster though.

So what are those ?
    I mean they obviously represent the people associated with the flowers but what are those spheres ?
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2015-05-03 at 08:16 AM.

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

I doubt this is the last we've seen of GlitchMaster though.

So what are those ?
    I mean they obviously represent the people associated with the flowers but what are those spheres ?
    I wouldn't be surprised if GlitchMaster is or ends up working for a Bigger Bad than Nightmare Knight.

I assume sympathetic magic. Basically, having that sphere with flower, she can exert some level on control.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

(They do look a little like the sphreres the disaster masters turn into; when defeated, now that I think of it)

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

(They do look a little like the sphreres the disaster masters turn into; when defeated, now that I think of it)
    She is master over flower/plants. By invoking Plant Magic™ on flowers representing their true names she can assert power over them.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ouch, poor Peridot XD