New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Making Castlevania's Soma Cruz in D&D

I've always had a soft spot for "I defeat you and gain your power" type characters. From the aforementioned Soma Cruz of Castlevania's Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow to Kirby, to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoilers for Supernatural Season 9
    Spoiler
    Show
    That chef guy who ate animal organs and gained animal powers, not to mention
    Spoiler
    Show
    SERIOUS SPOILERS FOR THE MOST RECENT EPISODE
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cas who just cut open an angel's throat and ate that angel's grace
    , that kind of character who purposefully hunts down strong opponents to become ever stronger themselves is just so cool. Is there any kind of structure in place that allows a character in D&D to do that?

I'm thinking PrCs mainly, but I'm open to other suggestions. Both Necrocarnate and Soul Eater fit very thematically and involve strengthening themselves by killing, but the benefits are too generic and too temporary. They don't have much to do with the actual power of the defeated enemy, and they need refueling. I guess I'm after a more generic and far less broken version of Illithid Savant, because that "brain eating, ability harnessing" thing is just what I'm after.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Making Castlevania's Soma Cruz in D&D

Greater Doppelganger and Neh-Thalggu can do similar.

The first ate brains to copy not just the form of someone, but its memories and abilities.

The second swallow brains by teleporting them (!!!) directly into its "stomachs" and then gains Sorcerer spellcasting levels for that (can eat up to 13 brains).

Probably there's more than that, but it's what i remember right now.