New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Warhammer and WH40K RPGs II: Burning Witches, Heretics, and Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Blightedmarsh View Post
    Yes it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    There's a risk of warp core/geller field malfunctions when you translate between dimensions. The translation also shuts down most systems except propulsion and life support. Guns stop working and void shields fail.
    Sources would be appreciated.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    Sources would be appreciated.
    Translation prevents the Kronos Starfort from reactivating it's weapons and void shields for a while (maybe 15 minutes) after dropping out of the warp in Iron Warrior. It also interferes with Word Bearer scanners and vox systems in the third book of the Word Bearers Omnibus, can't remember the specific books name.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Why are multiple short jumps more dangerous than one long one? Is the warp transition especially dangerous?
    The warp is a terrible hell-dimension, for starters.

Breaking through the barrier between worlds is not something undertaken lightly. I have no clear canon backing me up on this (mind you, 40k is not always internally consistent thanks to the large number of writers involved), but as far as my games run, I make certain to indicate that warp translation is half-superstition. It's not an exact art.

Multiple small jumps is probably going to hurt more in the long run than diving into the warp once and then emerging once. More chances for things to go wrong during translation into/out of the warp.

Mind you, this isn't reflected in the rules of the game, per se. But consider that there's precedence - no two warp jumps are exactly alike. Travel time is not consistent. Because warp-time is screwy, actual transit time as reflected in realspace can change significantly in a small number of cases. Some ships might travel the same distance, but arrive hours, days, or months apart in realspacetime (ugh, that's a terrible neologism on my part. I'm sorry. ). For plot-convenience sake, not all writers address this issue, and I doubt its a terribly common occurrence to have such wide discrepancies.

In the rarest of circumstances, sometimes a ship emerges in realspace "before" it actually departed. In traveling through the warp to their destination, they were somehow shunted into the past as well. That's just how screwed up the warp is. DH: Ascension even mentions an obscure Inquisitorial Order, the Ordo Chronos, that's intended to protect the timeline against such accidental time travelers.

So the way I rule it as a GM, the more jumps you make, the more chances for variation. You're playing with the warp each time you translate. Each time you make a jump, you are subject to the vagaries of the warp. Multiple short jumps may wind up completely screwing up your itinerary, due to the fact that there will likely be some time variation each instance.

EDIT: I'm actually quite curious now. Does RT or one of the other RPGs have a table that deals with warp jump variation? I've only played DH and DW, and haven't actually encountered any rules governing warp jumps.
    Last edited by Ceiling_Squid; 2013-12-11 at 02:14 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

I can't recall any warp travel tables, but I've not poured over the RT ship and travel stuff in any detail yet, but I can imagine they'd avoid putting stuff like that in because a single really bad roll could result in the party emerging in M45 or something.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

I can't recall any warp travel tables, but I've not poured over the RT ship and travel stuff in any detail yet, but I can imagine they'd avoid putting stuff like that in because a single really bad roll could result in the party emerging in M45 or something.
    I'm willing to bet that time variation that big is extremely rare stuff, anyway, thank the Throne. The thing major plots points are made of.

The closest I remember in 40k fiction is in one of the Ravenor books, where for a period the main character was transported back to...M35, I think? Didn't involve warp travel using a normal ship's drive though, but rather the malfunction of a major artifact that allowed personal travel through space.

For gameplay purposes I'd imagine that a theoretical homebrew travel time variation table ought to operate more on a scale of days, hours, or (with severe failures) weeks. Entire years of variation should probably be a very rare, very unpleasant occurrence. That can derail the thrust of an entire campaign.
    Last edited by Ceiling_Squid; 2013-12-11 at 02:46 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66

Kobold

RT does indeed include rules for warp travel. Essentially, they work like this:

1. Navigator rolls dice to see how well he's navigating
    2. Roll to see how long journey takes, modified by Navigator
    3. Every two weeks, Navigator rolls to avoid having an encounter. If an encounter happens, roll on the chart to find out what is going on.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

The encounter charts are fairly minor things mostly, and the book makes a point that "you arrive two thousand years before you left" should never be random in-game.

8. - Top - End - #68

Kobold

So yeah no, translation isn't especially dangerous- danger is a factor based on journey duration. You do waste a lot of time though, because preparing to translate is the better part of a day if I remember right, so making seven week-long jumps adds a week to your trip (Plus, without a navigator, you roll very poorly on Navigation tests, which further increases your journey's length)

EDIT: At least, by RAW. I'd also agree that warp translation shouldn't be super dangerous. Otherwise it'd make no sense that unnavigated ships, who are the most at risk, also make the shortest jumps!
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2013-12-11 at 05:20 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I seem to recall something out of the second arbiter novel that mentions translation being inherently dangerous.
    My Home brew setting:

Concentric circles
    Necrotheism

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeZero View Post
    How very Machiavellian, professor Doom.
    Clever, effective, and anyone who agrees with it is a grade A global supervillain.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

To an extent, but from a narrative dimension, it really isn't. The real downside to calculated jumps is time. Now, rogue trader has to simplify the stuff to make it playable, of course, but the general rule of thumb is that a calculated jump takes about a year in realspace (significantly). The nearest potentially habitable planet to Earth that we know of is 3 calculated jumps away. That's three years to ship anything. The next closest planet is 5 calculated jumps away. 5 years is an enormous amount of time to wait for something you asked for to arrive (The best real life comparison I can give you is the trip from Europe to America, which was.. maybe a month during the colonial period? I don't know exactly how long was typical, and I'm afraid I cant easily find out).
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

The england to america trip was "A few months." Six wasn't unusual, a year was possible in bad weather. To top it all off, the english didn't really care about the quality of what they were sending, so occasionally you'd wait six months for a mantlepiece and find it was eight inches too short or something.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    The england to america trip was "A few months." Six wasn't unusual, a year was possible in bad weather. To top it all off, the english didn't really care about the quality of what they were sending, so occasionally you'd wait six months for a mantlepiece and find it was eight inches too short or something.
    And we wondered why they rebelled...

13. - Top - End - #73
    Bugbear in the Playground

And we wondered why they rebelled...
    that, the other stuff that we're told about, and our confusion over the use of the letter U in words like honor or color that work fine without a U.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MonochromeTiger View Post
    that, the other stuff that we're told about, and our confusion over the use of the letter U in words like honor or color that work fine without a U.
    Only because you pronounce them wrong.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Why remove the 'u' but leave in the silent 'h'?!

16. - Top - End - #76

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by bluntpencil View Post
    Why remove the 'u' but leave in the silent 'h'?!
    Look, if you wanted english to make sense, you'd start by removing the silent s in island, and making though and thought and through sound alike.

EDIT: On topic:

I still haven't decided how my ][ is going to react to the player's actions. They let the bad guy get away, and time is running out. The finale of the mission will be the bad guy's 2nd in command leading an attack on the hospital where one of the PCs is recovering from the loss of his arm. What I'd really like is to have there be a defined extraction point they're trying to reach, but given their performance, I'm not sure the ][ *would* be trying extract them at that point. Also, they weren't given a vox or any means of contacting him, so I'm not sure how that arrangement would be made.
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2013-12-12 at 12:41 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

I still haven't decided how my ][ is going to react to the player's actions. They let the bad guy get away, and time is running out. The finale of the mission will be the bad guy's 2nd in command leading an attack on the hospital where one of the PCs is recovering from the loss of his arm. What I'd really like is to have there be a defined extraction point they're trying to reach, but given their performance, I'm not sure the ][ *would* be trying extract them at that point. Also, they weren't given a vox or any means of contacting him, so I'm not sure how that arrangement would be made.
    Well, if they have any pull with local law enforcement, they could borrow a hospital vox and call those guys. Let the Arbites roll in with a Rhino or airlift them off the roof or something, and then they can talk to the big ][ once they're somewhere safe. Could even tie this into the thing with the planetary governor, if they haven't copped to that yet.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

18. - Top - End - #78

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Well, if they have any pull with local law enforcement, they could borrow a hospital vox and call those guys. Let the Arbites roll in with a Rhino or airlift them off the roof or something, and then they can talk to the big ][ once they're somewhere safe. Could even tie this into the thing with the planetary governor, if they haven't copped to that yet.
    Well, the thing is that it's a hive city. "Roof" and "Ground Floor" don't really exist, since the whole spire is one big, well, spire. It'd be like if you got into trouble in the underdecks of a spaceship- you couldn't get airlifted out. The closest thing I could think of would be if the hospital were on the outside of the spire, there might be a window, and then you *could* have a shuttle waiting outside the spire.

I can see the hospital having some kind of quarantine mode that seals it off from normal levels, but then the players would still need to CHOOSE to seek out the vox and ask to be airlifted out the window, and I can't assume that's their default plan, but I also can't think of a mechanism for nudging them in the right direction.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Well, the thing is that it's a hive city. "Roof" and "Ground Floor" don't really exist, since the whole spire is one big, well, spire. It'd be like if you got into trouble in the underdecks of a spaceship- you couldn't get airlifted out. The closest thing I could think of would be if the hospital were on the outside of the spire, there might be a window, and then you *could* have a shuttle waiting outside the spire.

I can see the hospital having some kind of quarantine mode that seals it off from normal levels, but then the players would still need to CHOOSE to seek out the vox and ask to be airlifted out the window, and I can't assume that's their default plan, but I also can't think of a mechanism for nudging them in the right direction.
    I bet you five thrones that after the session you'll be asking us what suitable punishment under Imperial Law is for blowing up a hospital.

If they're anything like either of the two groups I game with then they may just try to reinforce a position and kill anyone who apporaches.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I bet you five thrones that after the session you'll be asking us what suitable punishment under Imperial Law is for blowing up a hospital.
    Probably a little less than blowing up an Arbites' Precinct. Which my players did.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ceiling_Squid View Post
    In the rarest of circumstances, sometimes a ship emerges in realspace "before" it actually departed. In traveling through the warp to their destination, they were somehow shunted into the past as well. That's just how screwed up the warp is.
    This seems like something worth exploring.

Setup: a group of small ships are ordered to warp repeatedly, always to a destination within a few dozen kilometers of their starting point. Repeat thousands of times if needed. For safety, perhaps use drone ships.

When one finally reappears in realspace before it left, it has standing orders to destroy the earlier instance of itself. Theoretically this prevents it from existing and doing what it just did.

A nearby observation station records the results, if the universe doesn't end.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Well, hive cities do have streets, and occassionally roofs, on the buildings. Not so much in the underhive, but mid-hive and upper hive absolutely still have space for vehicles. How do you think the fancy sorts get about? Certainly you don't expect them to take Public Transit. Arbites, too. Unless you've set up this hive to specifically NOT have those things, then they should exist in some capacity.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

23. - Top - End - #83
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Well, hive cities do have streets, and occassionally roofs, on the buildings. Not so much in the underhive, but mid-hive and upper hive absolutely still have space for vehicles. How do you think the fancy sorts get about? Certainly you don't expect them to take Public Transit. Arbites, too. Unless you've set up this hive to specifically NOT have those things, then they should exist in some capacity.
    are you implying it's possible for a noble or businessman to get around a hive without witchcraft? I'm fairly sure that goes against everything warhammer has taught us.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

are you implying it's possible for a noble or businessman to get around a hive without witchcraft? I'm fairly sure that goes against everything warhammer has taught us.
    It taught me that they get carried around on litters by slaves.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Finest quality hovercars, old chap. It looks like sorcery, but the Mechanicus assure me it's not tech-heresy, so there's that.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

are you implying it's possible for a noble or businessman to get around a hive without witchcraft?
    Best game I ever played was when only me and one other player could make it. We played a solo campaign based on Taxi Driver and The Fifth Element (which is just Taxi Driver in SPACE! anyway).
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

27. - Top - End - #87
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Another_Poet View Post
    This seems like something worth exploring.

Setup: a group of small ships are ordered to warp repeatedly, always to a destination within a few dozen kilometers of their starting point. Repeat thousands of times if needed. For safety, perhaps use drone ships.

When one finally reappears in realspace before it left, it has standing orders to destroy the earlier instance of itself. Theoretically this prevents it from existing and doing what it just did.

A nearby observation station records the results, if the universe doesn't end.
    Drone ships? Sentient Machines, like the Men of Iron that once nearly wiped out mankind? TECH HERESY! *blam*

Deliberately punching holes over and over in the barrier between realspace and the Immaterium in the same region, weakening it to where a major warp incursion or warp storm becomes incredibly likely? HERESY! *blam*

Encouraging rational, scientific thought via experimentation and repetition of controlled trials? HERESY! *Blam Blam BLAM BLAM Pew Pew PEw ZOOOOOOOORCH PHOOOOOOOM*

28. - Top - End - #88

Kobold

Does anyone have any suggestions for interesting set pieces that could be found inside the terrifying hospital I'm planning to run? I mean, obviously at some point they'll have to venture into the inner workings and find the Arbitrary Whirling Blades and Lightning room as exists in all scientific establishments (Does anyone else remember that room from Half Life 1?) but I thought I'd be open to suggestions.

Their journey will take them from the lead chirugeon's office to the children's wing, but what exactly is between those two points is undecided.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Does anyone have any suggestions for interesting set pieces that could be found inside the terrifying hospital I'm planning to run? I mean, obviously at some point they'll have to venture into the inner workings and find the Arbitrary Whirling Blades and Lightning room as exists in all scientific establishments (Does anyone else remember that room from Half Life 1?) but I thought I'd be open to suggestions.

Their journey will take them from the lead chirugeon's office to the children's wing, but what exactly is between those two points is undecided.
    I'd suggest a break room or on-call room. Maybe with a vending machine in it.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    *Blam Blam BLAM BLAM Pew Pew PEw ZOOOOOOOORCH PHOOOOOOOM*
    Really, only the drone ships are a stretch
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law