New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Civilization 5: Giant Multiplayer in the Playground II

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    Is anyone else finding these first few turns rather... uneventful?
    Actually, no. I'm finding it quite exciting waiting for the next turn to see what I uncover with my units, what that ruin holds, where that enemy warrior came from, where to place my next city, what terrain features and luxuries will I have easy access to during my game.
    Sure, it's not as exciting as the incessantly politicking that always seems to verge on the precipice of a great World War going on in my other game, but we'll have plenty of time for that when we actually settle some more cities and start meeting each other

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Driderman View Post
    Actually, no. I'm finding it quite exciting waiting for the next turn to see what I uncover with my units, what that ruin holds, where that enemy warrior came from, where to place my next city, what terrain features and luxuries will I have easy access to during my game.
    Sure, it's not as exciting as the incessantly politicking that always seems to verge on the precipice of a great World War going on in my other game, but we'll have plenty of time for that when we actually settle some more cities and start meeting each other
    Exactly. I for example already have 2 great spots picked out for new cities and can't wait for me to get my troops farther than 10 spaces from my capital. I eagerly await as to what is to happen when things start to settle.

Also, a word of warning for those of you who are skipping turns too often. If you do drop from the game because you missed 5 turns to do so, I may decide to live up to Attila's name and make your NPC cities my own.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Exactly. I for example already have 2 great spots picked out for new cities and can't wait for me to get my troops farther than 10 spaces from my capital. I eagerly await as to what is to happen when things start to settle.

Also, a word of warning for those of you who are skipping turns too often. If you do drop from the game because you missed 5 turns to do so, I may decide to live up to Attila's name and make your NPC cities my own.
    For the record, dropped players can be substituted. Which also means that if anyone wants out, it would be great if they try to not ruin their Civs chances beforehand, and seek a replacement player.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

After my procurement of BNW with yesterday's sale, I'm now available as a replacement player if need be. If you need me I'll be conquering the world in new and interesting ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Driderman View Post
    For the record, dropped players can be substituted. Which also means that if anyone wants out, it would be great if they try to not ruin their Civs chances beforehand, and seek a replacement player.
    Oh, didn't know that. Okay then, I will hold off until I receive absolute confirmation that the civilization is an NPC for now and forever.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oh, didn't know that. Okay then, I will hold off until I receive absolute confirmation that the civilization is an NPC for now and forever.
    Or you could just early game rush because its the only advantage you have.

No need to be shy when you can drive your enemies before you and hear the lamentations of their... whatever it is.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2014-01-03 at 06:43 AM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I'm going to assume that we're all going to play to the best of our abilities. Of course, it would be nice if you postponed any conquests for a couple of turns if we're in the middle of ensuring a new player for the Civ you intend to attack, but I certainly don't hope people are pulling their punches just because we're playing against other human players

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

You're playing The Huns. Even from a more RP perspective (as I assumed most of us were going for in the other game) going on a rampage, grabbing cities and extorting your neighbours sort of comes with the turf

(this also goes for Qwertystop's Zulus, btw).
    Last edited by Mx.Silver; 2014-01-06 at 04:02 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Turn 10. Time for an actual update.

From The Spice of Life: The memoirs of Prime Minister Gajah Mada (vol.1)

It therefore has never caused me to wonder that of the various religions that our people would adopt, the first were based around the myths and tales of great desert to our north. In those days it was that vast expanse of sand that dominated the spirituality of our land, including the regions on the western coast held by the minor tribes of Ife and Zurich. The king himself, who's name I can barely recall now, became increasingly taken with this early faith following the discovery of the Barringer Crater within the sand-covered hills and instructed me to have our scouts push further into the dunes. It was a sensible plan, all the ruins in the more fertile regions had long since been investigated and their treasures brought back to Jakarta. Not that I said so at the time of course, the kings in those days were notoriously difficult to deal with and it never paid to ignore a potential bargaining chip. This new obsession proved a very valuable one, as I was able to leverage it to help enact our first law codes, many of which still serve us to this day.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

"A group of vicious people have moved in to the base of Mt. Fuji and staked an unfounded 'claim' on it. Naturally, my people won't stand for it."

Spectator:
    Spoiler
    Show

Barbarian camp has spawned near the base of Mt. Fuji. Fortunately, my warriors are clearing them out.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2014-01-08 at 11:12 AM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Banned

Flumph

Damn. Even after that turn, I'm still the slowest player.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

An urgent message to the Majapahit Emperor.

Your majesty, our scouts have returned with surprising news. It seems the lands to the east are not only for more habitable than we had been led to believe, but they are in fact occupied by a strange tribe calling themselves 'Russians'. If early reports are to be believed they seem a dour and pale-skinned people who follow the leadership of a woman called 'Catherine'.
    I would advise that your majesty leave direct diplomatic contact with them under to me and my staff, until we can be sure of their immediate intent. It would not do at all for your majesty to be harmed by any actions of these strange people.

Your Humble Servant,
    Gajah Mada

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

Foreigners at our borders! And with the warriors sent away!
    For Spectators
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, finished Pottery, and almost finished writing and set to have a granary complete the same turn writing finishes. Hopefully going to have an easy shot at the Library, but who knows?

To, Mr Silver
    Spoiler
    Show
    Greetings, we are not accustomed to welcoming foreigners in our lands, do you come in friendly guise? For you are far from fearsome... if you're a war-band. [No offense. :P Just being chilly.]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: To Russia
    Show
    Our scouts mean you no harm, we are merely trying to develop a more accurate picture of these lands and so are simply passing through the area.

Gajah Mada, Minister of the Majapahit Emperor.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: For Mr.Silver
    Show
    I see... in that case, perhaps you would be interested in this news, our warriors are absent, as we sent them to confirm reports of a tribe to the northeast, calling themselves 'Manila'. We expect them to return any day now.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

OH COME ON.

(if you're Spain, you know what this is about)

(that's two games in a row this happened)

(though the first it wasn't me it happened to)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #137

Did I what? Walk on a ruin you were near? I haven't met Zulu until I play my turn so I have no idea except that I've been finding ruins occasionally.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2014-01-12 at 05:16 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

More foreigners, this time hailing from a land called 'Spain' somewhere beyond the desert. What? No, your majesty beyond the desert, not from it. Yes, your majesty there are lands beyond the deserts, our scouts found the forests. What do you mean 'lost cities of gold'? It was just ordinary woodland- no it wasn't haunted with desert spirits.
    Yes yes, its quite alright your highness. Why don't you lie down for a while, I'll have the servants send you some food when you're feeling better.

... And they wonder why I don't let him take charge of the negotiations.

Spoiler: To Russia
    Show
    Interesting, we have discovered similar minor nations to the west. I thank you for the information.

Spoiler: To Spain
    Show
    Greetings, strangers. If you have you come seeking the Barringer Crater you seem to be a little off course.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    Did I what? Walk on a ruin you were near? I haven't met Zulu until I play my turn so I have no idea except that I've been finding ruins occasionally.
    Not quite. On your last turn, you saw a ruin, yes? Scout got to the adjacent hex, I think?

On my last turn, the exact same thing happened - except there's a Spanish scout on the other side, in range to get it on his next turn.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Perhaps negotiations is in order?

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Um. Well. I have... a tiny amount of GPT, and no luxes yet. Spain also has... a tiny amount of GPT, and probably also no luxes. So... what would the trade be?

Spoiler: Spain
    Show
    I do, however, have access to a surfeit of Sugar. I'll give you one unit of Sugar for one deal-duration (30 turns, right?) as soon as I get them improved, in exchange for the ruins?
    My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

I have to say that, having had two days without internet, I was very happily surprised to see I hadn't missed my turn. Hooray!
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

23. - Top - End - #143

Sartain: The save files you just uploaded for this and the other game say its still your turn, so I just get your password screen.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Banned

Flumph

In their search for new land to settle, our scouts have discovered a city of men who call themselves the Spanish. They are not like the city states we have encountered. I only hope this brings good things.

The Shrine of Mecca still stands, but priests bicker endlessly as to what is sacred. A group claiming the desert was sacred recently fell in popularity after a madman claimed visions of others in the world believing the same thing.

Spoiler: Spectators and future Studoku
    Show
    Missing out on Desert Folklore is a real shame- though there's not much I could have done with 1 ftp from a shrine. With this starting location and civ, there was potential for an extremely strong religion. The massive faith from desert folklore would have let me get tithe + mosques/pagodas and a lot of potential income.

The big decision right now is Petra. My capital is a fairly weak site for it while there are at least two good Petropoli to the south. However, I'm assuming Indonesia will also be going for it. If I try to race with a second city vs their capital, I'll lose. I'm good at Petra rushing but that's too much, especially since I'm not not going for the great library.

Then again, there's also the issue of claiming land. If Spain settle on or near the landbridge before I can, I'm not getting a second city until Optics.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

From The Spice of Life: The memoirs of Prime Minister Gajah Mada (vol.1)

The old King's death came as a shock to all of us, although I am sad to admit it was not entirely unforeseen. Always one of the more fervently religious types, he had never quite gotten over the discovery of the non-Indonesian nations which had shaken him badly. Subsequently, he became increasingly unhinged, spending longer and longer times in the desert, so it shouldn't have been a surprise when his body was found in the dunes north of Jakarta, after he had slipped the watch of his guards the previous night. Contrary to some of the more lurid gossips he had died of natural causes, likely dehydration combined with his already failing health.

Still, someone had to rise to the position of king, and in this case that role fell to Jayangara, a more practical man. Of his coronation no doubt much was already been written, and more famously painted. I can assure you, readers, that it was every bit as extravagant as depicted, thanks no doubt to the produce of our gold and silver mines. Truth be told, I would have preferred something rather more low-key, but Jayangara insisted on the display, ever-eager to impress and inspire the populace.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

So, my Attila single player game I had to scrap. I had started getting more warlike, with the assumption I would have some oil in my lands. But when I got the technology to see oil, I have no oil. I have a lot of coal, but no oil. My whole strategy was to turn my horsemen into tanks, but without oil, that won't work.

But something I want to ask is, revolutions. I had Autocracy Ideology and was the first one to pick it. But then all of a sudden, in a few turns I went from 10+ happiness to -39 unhappiness and needed to revolution change to Order to get my people happy again. How does this happen and how do I prevent it from happening?

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

But something I want to ask is, revolutions. I had Autocracy Ideology and was the first one to pick it. But then all of a sudden, in a few turns I went from 10+ happiness to -39 unhappiness and needed to revolution change to Order to get my people happy again. How does this happen and how do I prevent it from happening?
    More than likely, someone else had the Order Ideology and much more Tourism than you. That causes unhappiness.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Todasmile View Post
    More than likely, someone else had the Order Ideology and much more Tourism than you. That causes unhappiness.
    Ah, I did not know that. Thanks. So, having a lot of culture will counter that?

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, I did not know that. Thanks. So, having a lot of culture will counter that?
    A lot of culture and tourism. Having influence over them negates the effect on happiness of their influence over you.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

Is something wrong with GMR? I've played my turn three times and it's no registering. I reverted the turn for lack of anything else to do.

Spoiler
    Show