New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] A City Alone IC I

Sathris

The kenku takes a brief second to center himself and shake off the pain of battle.

Your allies are all around you. The blows the enemy has landed hurt, but they have not taken you down. You cannot run, the squad sticks together. Go.

He returns to the fight with vigor, pressing his assault against the master treant, his blade flashing to take advantage of every distraction it faces, every mistake that it makes until it finally stops moving.

"Just one more!" shouts the rogue, emulating Grigor's voice, before maneuvering around the fallen trees toward the last threat.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Standard: Circling Predator
    Attack (1 of 2): (1d20+21)[38]
    Damage (1d4+11)[15]
    Attack (2 of 2): (1d20+21)[38]
    Damage [roll]1d4+11
    Hit: CT grants CA to Sathris UEONT
    Sneak Attack damage:
    (2d8+4)[1][3](8)[/roll]

Move: Walk from ME to J11
    Last edited by Gavran; 2014-01-04 at 03:59 AM.

2. - Top - End - #122

Hakka

*Thunk* A crossbow bolt reached the bark of the root of the remaining treant. Even if it's not enough to finish it off, it difficults the displacement of the creature.

Spoiler: What Hakka did (spot 34 to notice him)
    Show

Hakka reloads his crossbow, aims at a weak point and pulls the trigger. Next he swiftly jumps from his spot into another tree westwards, and remains hidden again.

Show

Free: Load crossbow

Standard: Disruptive Shot (3/3 used) vs BT1
    · (1d20+17)[24] vs AC (15 base, +2 CA)
    · Hit: (1d8+11)[17] dmg (9 base, +2 stance), and target is dazed (save ends)
    · Miss: Half damage and target is slowed until the end of my next turn

Move: Mantis Jump, I jump from Q26 to J23, and make a Stealth check to hide
    · Stealth: (1d20+14)[34] (16 base, +2 stance, +1 gear, -5 movement)

Last edited by Wdwune; 2014-01-04 at 09:46 AM.
    Awesome Alderis Kashtar avatar by Meltheim
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    Bluff or diplomacy, the penalty's the same. (1d20-1)[1]
    Wow. Just. Wow.
    And now see if a random rock on the ground with only a 3-sided dice can roll a better diplomacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC1 View Post
    (1d3)[3] random rock

EDIT: We have a winner. The random rock

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Kriv

Kriv grins toothily as the last tree stands alone, sap dripping down its bark. He wades through the brambles, gritting his teeth, and proceeds to hack the tree down to size.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move: Walk from P12 to M12

Standard: Provoke Overextension vs BT1
    Attack: (1d20+15)[18](33) vs AC
    Hit: (2d8+9)[6][5](20) damage and BT must make a basic attack against you as a free action. If the basic attack misses, an ally (Sathris) of yours can make a basic attack against the target as a free action.

Bravura Presence: Kriv gains a bonus to AC against the BT1's basic attack equal to your Charisma modifier (5) and Sathris gains the same bonus (5) to his basic attack's damage roll.

TLDR: Kriv moves in and attacks BT1. If he hits, then BT1 has to make an attack against Kriv, who has a +5 bonus to AC against that attack. If BT1's attack misses, then Sathris gets a basic attack with a +5 bonus to damage.

DM
    Terenuri: Map IC IC2 OOC3

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

The last treants are brought down, branches flailing weakly as they fall quiet. In a few moments they are nothing more than trees once more, although sickly looking and their trunks scarred by the battle.

Spoiler: Hakka
    Show

The wood beneath the bark of the treants seems odd, almost as if the trees had been poisoned. Rotting, but with a pulsing vitality flowing through the xylem. As you watch it drains away.

Spoiler: Draj
    Show

You sense some form of corrupting, dominating magic now that you have a minute to focus.
    I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel

Former DM for "A City Alone" [4E D&D - IC, OOC]

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Without pausing, DEN climbs over the trunks in his way and trundles towards the cave, with his blade ready in guard position. "Unit Sven Come Out Come Out Whatever You Are," he says.
    Spoiler: Perception
    Show

Perception [rollv]1d20+11[rollv] to see what's in the cave.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

6. - Top - End - #126

Sathris

Sathris quickly surveys the battlefield, looking for hidden enemies and checking that all his allies are moving. He beckons Grigor and Draj to move in and joins the rest of the group in the shelter created by the stilled trees.

"We must not delay too long. Hakka can keep watch. Let the wounded rest, study the remains if you think it necessary, but be quick and be silent. There could be more dangers in that cave, and they may be aware of us already."

Finished talking, he begins cleaning the sap and twigs from himself and his equipment.
    Last edited by Gavran; 2014-01-04 at 05:41 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Spoiler: DEN
    Show

You continue to see no sign of Sven, but it seems as though the crevice he disappeared into widens out a few feet in.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Kriv

Kriv picks a few bits of sap from his blade before resheathing it. "Everyone good? Anyone need a few minutes to rest before we move on?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Might I recommend short rest for everyone so that we can get back Encounter Powers and heal?

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

DEN strides to the cave mouth. "If There Is Something Dangerous Inside Then We Should Rescue Sven Quickly. If There Is Nothing Dangerous Inside Then We Do Not Require Delay."
    Open files: Aphorisms
    Search strings: delay swift
    Select

"Although We Have Heard Of Undie Haste In War Comma Cleverness Has Never Been Seen Associated With Long Delays. Be Swift Like Lightning Fierce Like Fire Unknowable Like The Void."
    Last edited by Laserlight; 2014-01-04 at 10:20 PM.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

10. - Top - End - #130

Hakka

Hakka jumps down from the tree he was sniping from.

"Trees be poisoned by unnatural substance," he says as he approaches the party. He nods at Sathris and Kriv. "One will watch as the clutch rests."

Show

Nature check to see if Hakka knows more about the substance:
    · Nature: (1d20+16)[24]

At the short rest, Hakka will take watch.
    · Switch stance to Aspect of the Pouncing Lynx (gives initiative benefits, etc)
    · Perception: (1d20+14)[27]

Last edited by Wdwune; 2014-01-05 at 10:55 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    And now see if a random rock on the ground with only a 3-sided dice can roll a better diplomacy.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

"Some form of Corrupting magic, actually." Draj corrected the Thri-kreen. Blood marred his pelt, and the feral light still dimly glowed within his eyes, though he seemed to be focusing on controlling it.

(Spend 2 surges)

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Kriv

Nodding, Kriv signals Grigor. "Looks like something has corrupted these trees. We might find more information in the cave, in addition to finding Sven. You and your men still interested?"

The dragonborn shields his eyes with his hand and looks toward the mouth of the cave. "I say we head in and get our man back. DEN - prepare assault mode. Hakka, Sathris, Draj - keep your wits about you. Viktor . . . "

Kriv turns to the paladin and puts his hand on the man's shoulder, "Viktor, why don't you go back to camp and make sure the lumberjacks are safe. Who knows what trouble they may have gotten into while we were here. We'll signal you if we need you."

Kriv gives the man a fatherly cuff across the cheek then turns back to the group. "Let's move."

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Unit DEN moves quickly across the scree to the cave mouth, blade held low and ready to strike. "Uuuuuuuurrrah", he calls--a haunting cry in a minor key. From the harmonics, it seems almost as if the killing steel in his hand echoes the cry...

14. - Top - End - #134

Hakka

"Yes, captain,"
    Hakka nods to Kriv in response and swiftly makes his way to the cave's entrance, taking a peek inside and following Sven's track.

Show

Perception to follow the tracks, using my Inquisitive's Kit: (1d20+17)[34] (16 base, +1 item)

Also, a Stealth check just in case (using both, Footpads and Camouflaged Clothing): (1d20+17)[31] (16 base, +1 item)
    · Note: Hakka's Ambush Expertise allows my allies in 10 squares to get a +2 bonus on Stealth checks.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

DEN and Hakka move into the cave, the thri-kreen peering around for Sven's track while DEN looks for trouble. It's hard to make out much of a track on the hard igneous rock, but a few minor disturbances show that Sven did indeed go deeper into the cave. Hakka is thankful that whatever is influencing the man didn't have him step lighter. DEN sees no sign of trouble as yet.

The cave is dark and damp, but it gets a bit bigger past the first few feet. The warforged and thri-kreen can both stand straight after having to stoop for a couple of yards. The black rock is smooth and wavy, although jagged edges do appear from time to time. A small bat eyes the pair warily, eyes glowing in the trace light coming through the cave's mouth.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Kriv

The bulk of the Dragonborn is evident as he tries to follow after his companions. Strength and a sparkling personality were things in his wheelhouse - being quiet and stealthy were not. Despite this, Kriv does his best to make as little noise as possible.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth - (1d20+4)[6](10)

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

Draj follows, and with a muttered word, his pelt and armor shimmers and fades, matching the hues of the surrounding cave.

Spoiler
    Show
    Chamelion's Mask: Use arcana for stealth 1/encounter
    (d20+20)[5](25)

18. - Top - End - #138

Sathris

Sathris follows the others, taking the rear position while the cave is too narrow to move up to the front. As always, his movements are measured and careful so as not to alert anything up ahead.

Show

Stealth: (1d20+21)[34]
    Note: Will move to the front if the opportunity exists.
    Sathris has Low-light vision.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

As the Stormcrows move into the cave they can feel a slight breeze blowing past their faces carrying a subtle, fetid smell. The dark cave curves to the left, the passage after the first small chamber narrowing and descending. Grigor says he will accompany the injured paladin back to the beach, then return. He orders his men to guard the mouth of the cave in the meantime.

Spoiler
    Show

Any preparations, changes to order of march, etc. might be taken in this first chamber. Just put yourself wherever you decide on the map.

DEN is still down a fair bit of HP and Draj has some damage remaining as well. Draj spent some surges already, so I'm guessing that's intentional, but surge spending should be noted before you move a lot farther. Any damage not healed after moving deeper into the cave stays until the next rest.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Unit DEN
    Threat analysis: no enemy detected
    Battle Reflex disabled
    Redirect assets from Military Power to Self Repair
    Activate Infrared Sensors
    Infrared Sensors 0% Not Repairable: Replace

Show
    DEN uses two surges; bringing him down to 8 surges remaining up to 78HP.
    Heavily armored combat machines aren't usually sneaky.
    Stealth: (1d20+2)[5](7)

"Illumination Rounds Required."

21. - Top - End - #141

Hakka

The thri-kreen hunter moves into the cave quickly and silently, following Sven's track. His antennae always aware of his surroundings and his crossbow ready for any threat.

Show

Move into a forward scout position in D10, making a Perception check (low-light vision) and a Stealth check (with footpads and camouflaged clothing).
    · Perception: (1d20+14)[22]
    · Stealth: (1d20+17)[30] 25 (16 base, +1 items, -5 movement)

Last edited by Wdwune; 2014-01-09 at 08:35 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142

Sathris

The kenku rogue suppresses a shiver as they progress deeper into the cavern. Hopefully these caverns will open up soon... not a lot of room in here. Determined to prove that he can handle the tight quarters, Sathris strides further along, quietly taking up a position near the Thri-kreen so that he can assist if the other finds a threat.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show

Double move to F10
    Stealth: (1d20+16)[30]

Is the cave mechanically dark or just fluff dark? :P

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

As the group moves down into the darkness, skin grows clammy and hairs prickle in the chilly inside of the cave. The skeleton of some small rodent is crunched underfoot as someone traipses over it. Hakka is having an increasingly difficult time following Sven's steps between the bare rock and the darkness, and the chamber ahead is almost pitch-black.

Spoiler
    Show

You will need some source of light to follow Sven's tracks, if you can, by sight. If you wish to feel your way along, you may do so.

Dungeoneering checks to determine things about the cave have a DC of 20. Nature may also be used with a DC of 25.

What do you do?

You can simply describe your actions, I only had the battle grid up to see ht order you were in.

Current order: Hakka leading, followed by Sathris. Then DEN and Kriv and finally Draj.

Surges:
    DEN has spent 4
    Draj has spent 2 plus ritual ones, which should be 3 total for today.
    Hakka has spent none.
    Kriv has spent 1
    Sathris has spent 3

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Unit DEN
    "This Unit Can Activate And Install A Sunrod If No Other Illumination Is Available. Thereby Allowing Units Sathris Hakka To Remain Hidden."

Show
    Carrying a light is not going to reduce DEN's Stealth by much, given that it starts at 2....

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Unit DEN
    Hearing no dissent from the others, Unit DEN pulls out a sunrod, taps it alight, and presses it into his left shin, from whence it will conveniently illuminate the floor.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

The sunrod flickers and then shines brightly, casting sharp shadows as it illuminates the cave. The Stormcrows, now able to see their own two feet once more, press on into the depths. The formation of the cave is a mystery - it seems perhaps to have been formed by the flow of lava. The surface of the rock is relatively smooth, and the group makes quick progress. Eventually, the passage splits. One route winds off to the left, fairly level, and the other drops off steeply but straightly to the right. It is utterly silent but for noise made by the group, and the air is dank. Whatever breeze was coming out of the mouth of the cave is now but the lightest breath along the passage.
    Last edited by Nightgaun7; 2014-01-12 at 01:15 AM.

27. - Top - End - #147

Sathris

Sathris peers down both paths for a moment, not expecting to see much, before turning back to the group.

"Sven waits, we must choose. Hakka, DEN, can you find any clues to which way?

Show
    Just for funsies, terrible Perception check go!
    (1d20+3)[10]

28. - Top - End - #148

Hakka

Hakka nods at Sathris as his lower forelimbs draw a miniature magnifying glass, and his eyes and antennae look for Sven's trail.

Show

Perception check to search Sven's trail, using my inquisitive kit: (1d20+15)[17] (14 base, +1 item)

And a Dungeoneering check, just in case: (1d20+9)[17]
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Hakka can see no trace of the missing sailor at the junction.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Unit DEN
    Filter audio input from Stormcrow units
    Increase audio sensitivity to MAX

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (1d20+11)[3](14)

"Sensors unable to detect Unit Sven."
    Last edited by Laserlight; 2014-01-12 at 02:36 PM.