New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Artifacts of Shianna II

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    Cadeyrn bites his lip before speaking.

"Um...Killian. You DO realize that no living creature has managed to pass the barrier of Cyre since the end of the war....right? Eventually we do, of course, have to retrieve that artifact, but without a way into Cyre we are literally stuck. I'll be honest, as unequipped as we are to fight another Shianna agent, we are even less equipped to enter Cyre. The former is just a battle. The latter is a mystery that even the greatest mages and minds from the five...four nations haven't been able to solve."
    Well, he does have a point... still, we can't risk House Shianna getting there before we do. I double down.

"There are scavengers who go into the Mournland; we could do whatever it is they do to get in. Besides, I think Eston's on the edge, so we wouldn't have to go too far in.

However, the more important point is this: You're right in that no living thing survives for long within Cyre. However, we don't know about nonliving creatures- that is to say, the undead. They might be just fine in the Mournland, which is exactly why we need to beat them to it."
    I look around the rest of the group, especially to Ariana, our other magical expert. "Don't you think so?"

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AttilaTheGeek View Post
    Well, he does have a point... still, we can't risk House Shianna getting there before we do. I double down.

"There are scavengers who go into the Mournland; we could do whatever it is they do to get in. Besides, I think Eston's on the edge, so we wouldn't have to go too far in.

However, the more important point is this: You're right in that no living thing survives for long within Cyre. However, we don't know about nonliving creatures- that is to say, the undead. They might be just fine in the Mournland, which is exactly why we need to beat them to it."
    I look around the rest of the group, especially to Ariana, our other magical expert. "Don't you think so?"
    Ariana shakes her head and says, "It would probably be more efficient, and likely safer, to enter the Mournlands on a return trip from Breland. The mark is right on the edge between Breland and Cyre, and it would be easier and safer to pass into the Mournlands briefly than travel across them from Karrnath. As well, we don't know where the person carrying this Artifact is going to go next. What if he were to enter the Eldeen Reaches, or Droaam, or travel off the map? Anything that is moving unpredictably is much more of an immediate issue that needs to be dealt with than something stationary, even if we're on a timer to reach it."

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

Cadeyrn shrugged.

"Ok, so I might have overreacted about how difficult it is to get in to the mournlands, but Ariana has a point. We can't guarantee that the person holding the artifact on the move won't just simply leave Khorvaire. For all we know the person may be gathering the necessary equipment to teleport over to Xendrik. And, as I said before, if they are a potential ally against house Shianna, then it would more greatly benefit us to bring the person into our group. Then we would have six combatants to fight any agents of shianna instead of five.

At least, that is my opinion."

4. - Top - End - #214
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Wallel nods in agreement with Arianna and Cadeyrn.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

I shrug. "Well, okay then. It looks like I'm outvoted. Besides, I haven't been back home in ages. To Breland!"

6. - Top - End - #216

"Right after we get the Soaring Eagle!" Cadeyrn exclaimed with a bit of mischief.

"Teasing you, Killian, will never get old, hahaha," he said, a smile on his face and a twinkle in his eye.

"We need to get the Soaring Eagle first since we are practically right next to it. Then we can head to Breland. We just have to go through the..." and here Cadeyrn checked the map.

"Through the nightwood to get it. Then it'll be just a hop, skip and we'll be over to Breland. We'll even get to Breland faster by going after the Soaring Eagle first, I would imagine."

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

"Breland!" Emerald exclaims excitedly. It seems like she has already pushed the events of the Council meeting out from her mind. "I've always wanted to see Sharn! Can we visit Sharn while we are there?

And I can't wait to see the Soaring Eagle! I wonder how long its been since anyone has set eyes on it? I wonder if there are any survivors we can rescue, just like you guys rescued me! I wonder why couldn't Aden find it when it was practically on his doorstep? He must have been really stupid. I wonder what kind of animals are in the Nightwood?"
    Last edited by Samshiir; 2014-02-25 at 05:08 PM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Ariana shakes her head and says, "I'm sorry Emerald, but you're not going into the Nightwoods. Aureon knows what we'll find there, and you'll be safer staying here with D'Lyrander."

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

"What?! Emerald snaps at Ariana."You can't leave me here! I can help you guys! How would you like it if we abandoned you here in Korth, Ariana?"

10. - Top - End - #220

Cadeyrn laughed.

"Only you would wonder what kind of animals live in a place called nightwood, Emerald. Before we leave, I need to pick up a couple of things, so I'll meet you at the eastern gate in say...an hour."

And with that said Cadeyrn strode off.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm presuming that we have already been given transport to ground level and that alchemist's fire in Korth is the same as the listed price in the ultimate equipment book (20gp per bottle).

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Ariana shudders, and says, "Frankly, if it weren't for some of the rumors I've heard, I'd be staying here too. Trust me, you'll be far, far safer here. And anyways, we know where we're going. It won't take us more than a day to get there, get the Soaring Eagle flying, and get back."

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

"Trust me, you'll be far, far safer here. And anyways, we know where we're going. It won't take us more than a day to get there, get the Soaring Eagle flying, and get back."
    "Actually, I'm not so sure about that. Cadeyrn, Ariana, can I talk to you a second?" Before stepping away with them, I lean down to give Emerald a conspiratorial wink.

"Okay, you're the ones doing most of the planning, and you're the ones to tell me when my crazy ideas are crazy. So here we go: I think we should take Emerald with us. What, don't give me that look! Judging by that council meeting, there are at least a couple representatives who would like nothing more than to steal Emerald from under our noses and deliver her to Grimnosh. What better time than while Emerald is at their mercy and we're away! We should take her with us so we can keep track of her ourselves. What do you think?"

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Ariana gives Killian a Look, and says, "Killian, you know as well as I do what are going to be in those woods. I don't want Emerald walking into that thinking they're just going to be normal woods, and then suddenly a zombie pops out of nowhere and scars her for life. At least in Korth, she can be kept with D'Lyrander who is definitely on our side, and who, I would assume, most certainly not going to let her go without a major incident."
    Last edited by Ionbound; 2014-02-26 at 11:30 AM.

14. - Top - End - #224

BlueKnightGuy

Gesturing at Killian, Wallel nodded supportively to indicate he agreed with bringing Emerald with them.

15. - Top - End - #225

Cadeyrn heard Killian calling for him to come back, so he listened to what Killian had to say.

"Sorry to break the news to you, Ariana, but Emerald's innocence is a luxury we can't afford. I agree that she shouldn't have to be scarred by the experience, but if she goes in willingly and knowingly that there are zombies and all sorts of other undead in the forest...well then she'll prove to you that she's braver than she looks. And Killian's got a good point about us having political enemies here. We don't exactly have the power to stop our enemies from even making up false charges against any of us. So, really, the sooner we can leave and get our own place to stay, the better.

However, I don't want to go in unprepared, so I was going to go get some alchemist's fire. It's not as good as holy water, but I don't think I could find any of that here in this city."

16. - Top - End - #226

BlueKnightGuy

Giving Cadeyrn a brief look of concern, Wallel took out the linked parchment and drew an image of a burning tree, indicating concern that the use of splash fire weapons could cause a forest fire. That would both give their political enemies something to use against them if it spread, and go against what he'd read of the druidic tenets.

17. - Top - End - #227

Cadeyrn waved his hand in front of himself in a placating manner.

"Don't worry, I'll be careful where I throw it. However, if I don't have the alchemist's fire, I'll have to stick to just my torches which take longer to light. The problem essentially is that I don't have any spells that will help us significantly if we battle the undead, and you know that I'm not really any good at fighting with my dagger. No, I need something to help out in the fight.

Speaking of putting out fires, though, you could just cast create water now and we could all carry flasks of it to throw at the fire in case it does get out of hand...right?

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    Cadeyrn heard Killian calling for him to come back, so he listened to what Killian had to say.

"Sorry to break the news to you, Ariana, but Emerald's innocence is a luxury we can't afford. I agree that she shouldn't have to be scarred by the experience, but if she goes in willingly and knowingly that there are zombies and all sorts of other undead in the forest...well then she'll prove to you that she's braver than she looks. And Killian's got a good point about us having political enemies here. We don't exactly have the power to stop our enemies from even making up false charges against any of us. So, really, the sooner we can leave and get our own place to stay, the better.

However, I don't want to go in unprepared, so I was going to go get some alchemist's fire. It's not as good as holy water, but I don't think I could find any of that here in this city."

Ariana sighs and says, "You know what, fine. I'll go along with this. But if something bad happens to Emerald, I will never forgive myself, or either of you."

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

The group finishes their business in Korth, and prepare for the journey into the Nightwood for the Soaring Eagle. Anderyn D'Medani will supply the party with food, water, traveling clothes, basic weapons, and other similar basic supplies as needed free of charge.

It is calculated that it will take one entire day to travel to the airship, so the group departs early the following morning.

Emerald fills her backpack with food, torches, canteens full of water, notebooks, ink vials and pens, her green dress, her new flute, and a small bag of candy leftover from Fairhaven. She ties her long blond hair up in a ponytail so that it won't get snagged on any foliage. Her hair is tied just right so that half of the green streak in her hair falls across her face, while the other half is tied back with the rest of it. The elven girl dons her backpack, a green traveling vest, a new pair of traveling boots, a pair of trousers, and a walking stick.

"Let's get moving guys! This airship isn't going to find itself!"

The trek through the Nightwood is harsh. It is very much a stop-down from traveling on summoned horseback, airships, even dirt roads. Here you have to watch your step and keep your eyes peeled for dangerous creatures of the forest. The fact that Shianna Agents have countless places to hide in this terrain lingers in the back of everyone's mind.

Several hours into your journey into the Nightwood, the group is taking a quick ten-minute break.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception Checks:
    Cadeyrn: (1d20+6)[19]
    Alimov: (1d20+11)[19]
    Killian: (1d20)[13]
    Ariana: (1d20+3)[7]
    Emerald: (1d20+4)[21]

Cadeyrn and Alimov:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You two have an uneasy feeling that you are being watched or followed. On one hand, you do not detect any hostile creatures in the area. On the other hand, that may be a bad sign.

Emerald is exploring the immediate area identifying random plants and herbs, then turns her attention away from the ground and announces that she spots a bird up in the sky.
    Last edited by Samshiir; 2014-02-27 at 01:40 AM.

20. - Top - End - #230

BlueKnightGuy

Taking out the linked parchment again, Wallel drew an image of a bearded man in a robe and large hat, with a bird in the sky above. He added squiggly lines between their heads to indicate telepathy. The silent elf suspected this bird Emerald saw might be a familiar or animal companion spying on them.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Emerald points the bird out to the group, and with closer inspection the group can locate the bird that she saw.

High above the trees soars a single, spiraling bird. The bird temporarily disappears inside a cloud, which it is then noticed that the bird is much, much higher than what it had at first appeared to be. The sheer size of the bird gives the illusion that it is close, but it is perhaps several dozen miles above the ground and is flying among the clouds. It must be extremely large indeed to appear so close, yet fly so high anyway. The creature reemerges from the other side of the cloud. It has a massive, beautiful golden-brown fully spread wingspan and a distinctive yellow-beaked, angular golden-brown feathered head.

Alimov:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your bond with nature is instinctually telling you that this bird of prey is watching your group.

22. - Top - End - #232

Cadeyrn whistles appreciatively.

"Woooooooow, that is one REALLY big bird! I wonder what kind of bird it is..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling for knowledge arcana if appropriate: (1d20+9)[24]

(knowledge nature is more likely to work, but I don't have any points in it, sooo, yeah.)

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Ariana looks suspiciously at the bird and says, "That thing looks bad...Maybe we should move?"

24. - Top - End - #234

BlueKnightGuy

With a nod to Arianna, Wallel adds on his parchment, "I think that is a giant eagle. Emerald should be covered or hidden from its view if possible; she would make a tempting target to swoop in and grab. The symbolism of a 'soaring eagle' is not lost on me, either. It may mean we are close." Putting away the parchment once the message was received, he readied his dagger and shield in preparation to move on. He didn't want to be caught off-guard.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

"Wow, that's huge! I've never heard of a bird that big... You're right, Wallel, that can't be natural. I wonder, is it something more?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge:Religion (1d20)[17]. Mythweavers is blocked on my school's wifi, so I can't find my modifier, but add it in to the roll.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

The eagle continues circling in the sky high above the group. Emerald will listen to Alimov's advice and attempt to hide. Luckily, her tendency to wear green things help her blend in with her surroundings.

A small winged creature lands on Ariana's shoulder after several flaps of its wings and looks at the sky. The psuedo-faerie dragon seems to have come from nowhere at all. Like Emerald, he blended in with the forest, except that his skin naturally adapts to his surroundings and he is much, much smaller. "What are we looking at?" The curious creature asks as he hangs off Ariana's shoulder and tilts his head.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: Arcana and Religion are both inappropriate for identifying any facts about the eagle.

Nobody in the party rolled high enough Perception to detect Rossal. This was his surprise round.

Emerald's stealth check:
    (1d20+8)[23]
    Last edited by Samshiir; 2014-02-28 at 08:51 AM.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Ariana is surprised when a weight suddenly lands on her shoulder, but after a brief moment of panic and terror she realizes it's Rossal, smiles, and says, "We, Rossal, are looking at a huge bird that may or may not be marking what we're looking for. How've you been?"
    Last edited by Ionbound; 2014-02-28 at 09:54 AM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Rossal is speaking quickly, as usual. "I have been content watching people come in and out of my home. I have to say that I didn't expect you to be back here again.

Why are you looking for a 'huge bird'? Do you mean Incalasance's friend? I didn't know you knew Incalasance. I guess thats why you're here? That bird isn't very nice, she tried to eat me yesterday. I had to remind her that her master and I are best friends and that friends of friends don't eat each other. I think and really hope that she was just playing around."
    Rossal forces a smile, but audibly gulps his fear away.

The dragonling shifts around momentarily and relaxes on Ariana's shoulder, then takes a more comfortable skin-tone before he continues talking. "Speaking of food, do you guys have any food I can have? I really liked you guys before because you gave me your apples. You are all such nice people." He bares his sharp teeth with a dragon-equivilant smile at the word 'apples'.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Ariana tilts her head a little and says, "Oh? Who's Incalasance? And who's the bird's master?"

30. - Top - End - #240

Cadeyrn's eyes widened.

"So we've got, what, a druid that is friends with that bird? Or is that bird Incalasance itself? Because if that bird is a friend of a druid...then we just might have a...sticky situation on our hands, if you catch my drift. C'mon, let's keep moving."