Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Trailer here.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jordanzakari...-man-2-trailer

So...good things and bad things.

Good:

Emma Stone is still the best thing about this franchise.
    Interesting exploration of Richard Parker (Peter's dad) as a character.
    Electro is suitably menacing.

Bad:

Wait, Electro, Rhino, and the Green Goblin? Remind me why Spider-Man 3 flopped again?
    Last bit of action looks almost too good, like a video game trailer.
    Emo Harry Osborn with Emo Tobey Maguire haircut. Seriously, what's with the Spider-Man 3 homage?
    Last edited by Finn Solomon; 2013-12-06 at 08:57 AM.
    "Look at me, I'm Robespierre!"

I think it's time we blow this scene, get everybody and their stuff together...okay, three, two, one, LET'S JAM!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2

I'm fine with having three villains. There's a very distinct difference here between the two.

Spiderman 3: Venom had a story arc (space parasite that comes down from space and infects Peter for EMO HIJINX). Sandman had a story arc (guilt and protecting his daughter). Green Goblin had a story arc (revenge on Spiderman). Each of them had distinct origins, no unifying factor. When you piled that on top of Spiderman's story arc, it became a trainwreck.

TAS 2: Rhino, Electro, and Goblin are all apparently tied to Oscorp, which is doing mega-experimenting. Instant cohesion. Plus, if they keep Rhino as "menacing armor suit", there doesn't need to be much distraction on his part.

So, the trailer. I was not that impressed; it didn't feel solid to me. I don't buy Electro's whispery-voice one bit, and Harry Osborn looks and sounds...off? Other than that, very little substance to go off of.

Still, neat cameos by Vulture wings and Doc Ock arms (around 1:15 in the trailer). Plus, I wasn't super, super impressed by the first movie's trailer. And it turned out to be good.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Finn Solomon View Post
    Wait, Electro, Rhino, and the Green Goblin? Remind me why Spider-Man 3 flopped again?
    That would be difficult to do, since it didn't flop. Third highest grossing movie of the year, set opening weekend records, ect. That said, I understand the concerns about too many villians. Also, note the Doc Oct arms and Vulture wings as someone (presumably Norman) walks by them 1:14 into the trailer.
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2013-12-06 at 10:06 AM.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Hopefully, they don't boil all the villains down to "Oscorp was doing experiments"...I mean, they still have individual motivations. (Or at least they did in Spectacular Spiderman, even if they were generally linked to Oscorp.)
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Honestly I'd be perfectly fine with them going full sinister six, but that'd be far harder to pull off than the Avengers so I can see why they'd avoid it. In this case it goes more like Spiderman vs. Mini-boss squad.

It does throw off my predictions (I would have sworn they would save Green Goblin for last.) So I wonder where this'll leave us in the third movie? (Where Norman Osborne is inevitably going to be the main villain. Maybe they'll make him the Hobgoblin?)
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Trailer here.
    With a bit of time and better planning, it could have been a great movie. Venom's inclusion felt like a studio mandate they had to work around, the story with the Sandman I thought was reasonably well done and I suspect could have been much more poignant.

They seem to be going for something like The Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon's plot, with Oscorp shelling out supervillains for its own profits and it coming back to bite them in the butt.

Last bit of action looks almost too good, like a video game trailer.
    I think that's going to be a pretty common occurance, games are looking more like blockbuster action movies and blockbusters are getting their inspiration more and more from video game cutscenes. I guess that's the inevitable conclusion to the film medium's marriage to CGI.

Emo Harry Osborn with Emo Tobey Maguire haircut. Seriously, what's with the Spider-Man 3 homage?
    I hope they do something different with Harry Osborn's character than just making him the pathetic frenemy. I never felt the Norman/Harry/Peter dynamic was the right way to go with the characters, Stan Lee liked using the few characters he had any interpersonal relationships with as either villains or fodder for villains, and it just cemented the sort of persecution complex Spider-Man has in the mainstream Marvel Universe. Had they'd done what I believe Ditko wanted, making the Green Goblin a random stranger, it would've created an important theme that crime is often faceless and impersonal.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

And why did they bring back the annoying raised weblines on the costume?
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    And why did they bring back the annoying raised weblines on the costume?
    I liked that costume....
    "All things must end, and you will be among the first."
    I love Ceika <3

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    You've got good reasoning, though the Akastarepti is never the best example.

Extended Sig

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Paul Giamatti?
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    Honestly I'd be perfectly fine with them going full sinister six, but that'd be far harder to pull off than the Avengers so I can see why they'd avoid it. In this case it goes more like Spiderman vs. Mini-boss squad.
    A full Sinister Six movie would be ace.
    It does throw off my predictions (I would have sworn they would save Green Goblin for last.) So I wonder where this'll leave us in the third movie? (Where Norman Osborne is inevitably going to be the main villain. Maybe they'll make him the Hobgoblin?)
    Well, see. I'm presuming that this movie will show us
    Spoiler: Spider-canon
    Show
    Gwen Stacey's death. It's the traditional "low point" of the trilogy structure, the last movie showed Peter's decision to countermand Captain Stacey's dying wish, and Goblin is the villain. Everything's perfectly aligned for the other shoe to drop.

Given that, they'd have to bring in a suitable nemesis to Spidey for the final movie. Venom would make it truly feel like a ripoff of the previous films, but I do think we might see the Black Suit in movie 3.

Craven would be awesome, buuuuuuuuuuuut the trailer does tease Vulture and Doc Ock, who make a logical pair of villains.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post

They aren't avoiding the Sinister Six. They are planning it for movie 3 or 4. They even have a studio lot called Sinister Six.

Just because Harry is a Goblin doesn't mean he is the Green Goblin. They seem to be doing what the did with SM3 and just putting him in a costume. Norman will still likely be the one, true Green Goblin.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post

I hope they do something different with Harry Osborn's character than just making him the pathetic frenemy. I never felt the Norman/Harry/Peter dynamic was the right way to go with the characters, Stan Lee liked using the few characters he had any interpersonal relationships with as either villains or fodder for villains, and it just cemented the sort of persecution complex Spider-Man has in the mainstream Marvel Universe. Had they'd done what I believe Ditko wanted, making the Green Goblin a random stranger, it would've created an important theme that crime is often faceless and impersonal.
    That's a myth. Ditko was planning Osborn from the beginning. In fact he's a random background character as far back as issue 25.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...1#post11913537

http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chron...rmanOsborn.jpg

Even if Norman had been a stranger, it wouldn't have created that theme. It would have been done away with the moment the Goblin came back, especially if we found out who he really was (if we only had a face but not a name, it still wouldn't have made that theme. It would have just made a new mystery). Either the Goblin would have become steadily less important (because he's a random nobody) or the other identity would have been fleshed out (so the "faceless and impersonal" part would have gradually been lost). Besides, Norman and Peter never really knew each other, so while Norman wasn't a stranger he wasn't that far from it. Nor to mention that nearly every other enemy Spidey has faced really has been a stranger to him, and it would have been strange if he expected the Goblin to be somebody Peter Parker knew (the real theme is, evil wears many faces, and you don't always know who people really are).

The Norman / Harry / Peter dynamic is wonderful and makes Spidey and the Goblin one of the most complex, warped and interesting arch-enemy pair ups, especially later when Norman starts to see Peter as a more worthy heir than his own son and, following that, when he sent Peter a letter thanking him for saving him from being just another boring businessman, and suitably twisted stuff like that. Its a real pity that Norman no longer remembers that Spiderman and Peter Parker are one in the same.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    I'm fine with having three villains. There's a very distinct difference here between the two.

Spiderman 3: Venom had a story arc (space parasite that comes down from space and infects Peter for EMO HIJINX). Sandman had a story arc (guilt and protecting his daughter). Green Goblin had a story arc (revenge on Spiderman). Each of them had distinct origins, no unifying factor. When you piled that on top of Spiderman's story arc, it became a trainwreck.

TAS 2: Rhino, Electro, and Goblin are all apparently tied to Oscorp, which is doing mega-experimenting. Instant cohesion. Plus, if they keep Rhino as "menacing armor suit", there doesn't need to be much distraction on his part.
    Hmm, I didn't think of that. Tying all the villains' origins to Oscorp might streamline things.

I'm just not sure about Harry Osborne though. He's never been my favourite Spidey character, and I'm sick of seeing him as a creepy guy trying to score points with his dad. I was hoping they'd hold off any Goblin-related shennanigans for another movie. I don't think there's enough time to show Harry going from Peter's best buddy to the Green/Hob/Whatever Goblin in one movie, along with two other villains' backstories.

I think it's time we blow this scene, get everybody and their stuff together...okay, three, two, one, LET'S JAM!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

I can understand why they brought Green Goblin in. It's like a Superman movie trilogy without Lex Luther, sooner or later he'll need to be in it. But I agree with other that he'd have been better suited to being the final villain for AS3. But if this Sinister Six stuff is true, then I can accept that.

I suspect Rhino isn't going t actually be a villain in this, and will likely be just a fight at the start to show how serious Spider-Man has now gotten. If they do that, only Electro and Harry need characterization.

Still Amazing Spiderman was much better than I thought it would ever be, so I'll wait for this movie with cautious optimism.
    "The advantage of fighting your clone is you know EXACTLY what will make him feel guilty. That's also how Catholicism beats up so many ninjas." - Christopher Hastings, Dr McNinja

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by masamune1 View Post
    That's a myth. Ditko was planning Osborn from the beginning. In fact he's a random background character as far back as issue 25.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...1#post11913537

http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chron...rmanOsborn.jpg

Even if Norman had been a stranger, it wouldn't have created that theme. It would have been done away with the moment the Goblin came back, especially if we found out who he really was (if we only had a face but not a name, it still wouldn't have made that theme. It would have just made a new mystery). Either the Goblin would have become steadily less important (because he's a random nobody) or the other identity would have been fleshed out (so the "faceless and impersonal" part would have gradually been lost). Besides, Norman and Peter never really knew each other, so while Norman wasn't a stranger he wasn't that far from it. Nor to mention that nearly every other enemy Spidey has faced really has been a stranger to him, and it would have been strange if he expected the Goblin to be somebody Peter Parker knew (the real theme is, evil wears many faces, and you don't always know who people really are).
    Okay, although a preponderant amount of Peter's mundane acquaintances and friends wind up in his superhuman universe and I'm not a fan of that generally. I suppose having Norman be excluded wouldn't have changed anything meaningful, so changing it would've just cut off a few interesting storylines.

Quote Originally Posted by masamune1 View Post
    The Norman / Harry / Peter dynamic is wonderful and makes Spidey and the Goblin one of the most complex, warped and interesting arch-enemy pair ups, especially later when Norman starts to see Peter as a more worthy heir than his own son and, following that, when he sent Peter a letter thanking him for saving him from being just another boring businessman, and suitably twisted stuff like that. Its a real pity that Norman no longer remembers that Spiderman and Peter Parker are one in the same.
    I actually like the Norman/Peter dynamic, in the Ultimate Universe he was downright scary, but there's only so many times I can take the Harry Osborn emotional breakdown before I found the concept too... predictable and melodramatic. And I love melodrama. as much I claim otherwise.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Amazing Spiderman 4 has a release date (May 2018).

Yes, film number 4.

Spidey 3 will be 2016.
    Last edited by masamune1; 2013-12-06 at 11:52 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Okay, although a preponderant amount of Peter's mundane acquaintances and friends wind up in his superhuman universe and I'm not a fan of that generally. I suppose having Norman be excluded wouldn't have changed anything meaningful, so changing it would've just cut off a few interesting storylines.

I actually like the Norman/Peter dynamic, in the Ultimate Universe he was downright scary, but there's only so many times I can take the Harry Osborn emotional breakdown before I found the concept too... predictable and melodramatic. And I love melodrama. as much I claim otherwise.
    I can agree with most of that.

And I too liked the Ultimate Norman (not that he was much different from 616 Norman at the time- who, likewise, was brilliant). I'm looking forward to Chris Cooper playing that guy; I can already see it in my head, and it looks amazing.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict View Post
    I suspect Rhino isn't going t actually be a villain in this, and will likely be just a fight at the start to show how serious Spider-Man has now gotten. If they do that, only Electro and Harry need characterization.
    Poor guy. He just can't get any respect.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Rhino will be in the third film, though.

19. - Top - End - #19

Daemon

What the hell is that? That's not Electro!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

He's based on Ultimate Electro. In design at least.

His personality is somewhat based on the original comics

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cen View Post
    What the hell is that? That's not Electro!
    I know, right? He should have green and yellow tights and a lightning bolt star thing on his mask!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Poor guy. He just can't get any respect.
    What can I say. Most of my memories of the Rhino come from the old PS1 game where you beat him by standing in front of an electric generator until he charges you and runs into it. Hardly threatening.

AS1 surprised me with how good it was, so I hope AS2 can make me take Rhino seriously. Right now, I barely consider him a "joke tier" enemy. He ranks alongside Toad from XMen, and Richard Pryor from Superman.
    "The advantage of fighting your clone is you know EXACTLY what will make him feel guilty. That's also how Catholicism beats up so many ninjas." - Christopher Hastings, Dr McNinja

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I think it's a standard Rhino character trait, but I don't know the comics well enough to comment. He was absolutely the "Unintelligent One" in Spectacular Spiderman; the typical tactic is to goad him into ramming something that shouldn't be rammed.

Super-powerful. Terrible at applying that power.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

Might be the first time I've ever uttered these words but: too much CGI.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

25. - Top - End - #25

I think that's going to be a pretty common occurance, games are looking more like blockbuster action movies and blockbusters are getting their inspiration more and more from video game cutscenes. I guess that's the inevitable conclusion to the film medium's marriage to CGI.
    It's a bit disappointing, but at least it provides a contrast to more realistic live-action movies like The Dark Knight. Hell even Iron Man looked better than that shot of Spidey leaping away from Electro.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I'm going to see this, because I always seem to with superhero movies whether I plan to or not.

But please, please, whoever is making this movie. Please, do not have random people from New York stand up for Spidey. We've seen it every single movie. It's been the worst most laughable part of every single movie. It was almost physically painful with the damn crane things last movie. Just don't do it.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    I know, right? He should have green and yellow tights and a lightning bolt star thing on his mask!
    Actually brings up a pet peeve of mine with Spider-man villains that I'm glad they're averting. Too. Much. Green.

It's weird really just how many of Spidey's villains wear or are green. Obviously there's the green goblin. But five of the sinister six are in green. (Doc Ock, Electro, Vulture, Mysterio, and Sandman) Scorpion and the Lizard are also green. Even some minor villains/ frenemies like Will O' Wisp have this weird preference towards green costumes.

I know it's because of the old Four-color comics and how that was the color that best contrasted with Spider-man's red and blue. But it always bothered me and felt unoriginal. I'm glad that the Ultimate universe and the movies have used a more diverse variety of colors.

Edit:On cranes and other such silliness-

That's kind of why I hoped that they would introduce J. Jonah Jameson in this movie. I actually imagined focussing around Scorpion in a build-up towards Green Goblin. Lizard introduced the regenerative properties and green skin while Scorpion would introduce the arachnid abilities to the mix. And since his origin story is tied in with Jameson that would be a great place to introduce him and add in the concept of Spidey as a "menace" thus helping us forget the bad taste of the cranes.

(Really the actors should each get a truckload of awards for turning what was an awful script into an enjoyable movie.)
    Last edited by Ravian; 2013-12-06 at 01:47 PM.
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

28. - Top - End - #28

Ultimate JJ Jameson was a BAMF of sorts on his own right, somehow. I'd like them to draw from that version if he appears in this new film series.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

29. - Top - End - #29

I think it would be ridiculously difficult for them to beat their original casting with JJ Jameson unless they change the character a lot.
    Best part of the original Spiderman trilogy, other than Bruce Campbell either playing three characters or playing one guy who switches career paths on a regular basis.
    Ceika is a beautiful, wonderful person. The avatar was made by his/her great talent, and depending on his/her sex and sexuality, I either have a giant crush or a totally appropriate liking for him/her.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pita View Post
    I think it would be ridiculously difficult for them to beat their original casting with JJ Jameson unless they change the character a lot.
    Best part of the original Spiderman trilogy, other than Bruce Campbell either playing three characters or playing one guy who switches career paths on a regular basis.
    Honestly if they just recast Simmons I would be happy. Ultimates JJJ was basically him but they played up the heart of gold aspect. And he actually learns the error of his ways.