New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 36 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [FWM] Backstage: CUT!

My Little Pony: Friendship Was Magic

In Equestria, the monsters are kept in safe places, and can be beaten off with hugs and clothing and angry stares.
    In Equestria, a benevolent goddess raises the sun and the moon, and keeps the world in harmony.
    In Equestria, the concept of danger is barely understood.

This is not that Equestria.

The town of Bridle Shores lies near a lake, and is one of the cities that survived the revolution. The heroic Moon Goddess, and her student, overthrew the Burning Hate of the Iron Hoof, saving Equestria from the searing, unending summer that raged for years. Even now, she tries to hold against the monsters, the literal armies of feral species that attack.

This is not the Equestria you know. Friendship has power, love may yet triumph. But evil is not just a word. Go out into the woods today, and be sure to take an axe, or make sure you have that fireball spell on a hair-trigger. If you want to keep your life... you'd better work for it.

...this is also not the Equestria you're dealing with, but it's a tad closer.

In this thread, reality and continuity are tenuous concepts at best. Mortal enemies become fierce rivals, existing tensions are eased off, to be replaced with far less serious ones, and the life-or-death struggle of life takes a backseat to idle shenanigans. This is Equestria when the cameras stop rolling and the lights go off.

This is Equestria's Backstage.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2013-12-12 at 09:23 AM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [FWM] Backstage: CUT!

[Bridle Shores, Wintertime]

Hearth's Warming Day is here!

A fresh blanket of snow covers the ground, as ponies everywhere bundle up for the cold and set out to meet friends and families, basking in the crisp scent of holly and the warm, mouth-watering aroma of baking cookies. Indeed, the dull, drab town has been transformed, draped with wreaths, candy canes, magical lights, and most importantly of all, a massive Hearth's Warming Tree set up in the town's square. Ponies from all over town mix and mingle in its shade, swapping gifts, stories, and quiet moments stolen under the mistletoe. Even the open chill of winter could not hope to freeze the spirits of these merry ponies.

Go! Go, and enjoy the season while it lasts!

Sandy entered the square, all bundled up in a jacket, scarf, and his favorite knit, floppy-eared hat, complete with little fuzzy pom-pom. In the hustle and bustle of the town, he'd completely lost track of the rest of his crewmates. The little unicorn scanned the crowd, looking out for his friends.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

"Heyyyyyy, Mr Shores. You seem lost," a friendly voice said as a forehoof wrapped itself around the smallish unicorn. The good lieutenant taken to wearing a scarf of his own, a loose fitting sweater and earmuffs.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

"Silverpine!" Sandy yelped in surprise as he found himself suddenly pulled into a friendly side-hug. "Either this whole thing was a cover for another stealth exercise, or m'height's gotten th' better of me again." He glanced over; his own shoulder barely rose above Silverpine's knee. Returning the hug would present...severe logistical difficulties. "...yep, definitely a stealth exercise. Guess I lose!" He shrugged and chuckled good-naturedly.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

It wasn't easy coming up with so much snow on such short notice, but fortunately, the weather team happened to have an expert on hoof. The Pegasus in question, the colors of her mane and coat blending in shockingly well with the frost around her, has spent most of the morning using her camouflage to start impromptu snowball fights in the streets, and then slink away as they come into full swing. Where exactly Snowstorm is now is hard to say, though it's a good bet that her next appearance will have the same result.

On the outskirts of the event, Dawnstrider has been trying his darndest to stay as far removed from the festivities as he can, though it's proving more difficult than he envisioned. Due to the nature of the day, he's elected to do away with his black armor, instead choosing to don a white scarf with golden trim and a black-and-green hat, two pieces of clothing that were certainly made (or at least chosen) by different individuals. However, the scarf appears hoof-knit.

After a long weekend of treating outbreaks of the sniffles in preparation for Hearth's Warming, so as to avoid anyone being sick and thus missing the festivities, the good Dr. Sunshine has finally let his mane down. Wearing a scarf much like Dawnstrider's (though this one is quite a bit older), he's putting some of his concentration into managing his radiance, so that he doesn't go around melting any snow. Beside him, Silver Streak* is clearly enjoying the festivities, taking every available opportunity to either strike up conversations with the locals or gleefully take part in 'mysterious snowball fights'.

"I'm still expecting the other to crop up somewhere." Silver notes during a lull in the excitement. "You're sure Daniel and Moonshine couldn't come along?"

"I didn't exactly press the issue." Taylor admits. "It's their first Hearth's Warming together as newlyweds. I figured it best to let them have that to themselves. As for Rigs and Flippy, well...you know how much their mad science tradition means to them."

"Mmhm. Perhaps Golden Shore can join them this year when they deliver presents to all the good colts and fillies."

"Do you know, it wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that those two are Snowy Hooves."

Spoiler
    Show
    * - Who??

From the desk of Starbeam - remarkable profiles, cont.

Name: Silver Streak

Race: Pegasus

Title(s): Lady Sunrise, Captain Streak (former)

Physical Appearance: Has retained an athletic build from her early years. Bright green eyes. Possesses a silvery-white coat and mane.

Cutie Mark: A length of light that has been known to glow and twirl at times.

Brief History: After leaving the Wonderbolts due to political machinations beyond her control, Silver Streak joined the then-stronger Equestrian military as a low-level nurse, to avoid unnecessary recognition. There, she met Taylor, who was operating during one of his exploratory stints in combat medicine. The two were married within months, sliding into a semi-permanent retirement ended only upon her untimely death, which acted as an impetus for the formation of the Lightbringers and Taylor's own 'crusade period'.

Exceptional Qualities: Retains exceptional militaristic and athletic training from her time in the Wonderbolts, as well as above-average medical expertise courtesy of her time with Taylor. She specializes in 'hard-packing' clouds almost instantaneously, allowing her to use them as springboards rapidly during flight.

Affiliations: Posthumously associated with the Lightbringers, and while in this timeline she is an official member, she rarely becomes involved with their escapades.
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Heavy Metal Ironworks]

The forge was ablaze with a merry light that winter day, filled with a wonderful warmth, and there was a pleasant scent of cinnamon and other spices in the air. The sound, however, was more a matter of personal taste.

Blades was singing loudly and cheerfully (driving Flare to stuff clay into her ears) as she worked, although instead of weapons and armour, she was making cookies. By now, there were several trays of cookies lying around, baked to perfection, decorated lovingly with white, green and red sugar, and bearing festive shapes such as reindeer, evergreen trees, merry ponies, bells, sleighs, festive hats, knives, axes, and pole-arms.

After a while, she set down her last tray and took a break to rest. "Isn't it lovely? Just like my old home." She grinned at whichever of her assistants were there that day. "We're all nice 'n warm, 'n we get to eat homemade cookies 'n watch the snow fallin' outside with some friends!"

Flare looked disdainful. "Why exactly are we being so celebratory all of a sudden?"

"'Cause of all nations bein' able to live together in harmony! 'N lots of baking keeps the place warm in the winter months."

"It just seems to me that if we wanted such festivities, we would do them when we wanted them rather than according to some mandatory schedule."

Blades laughed. "Ya really have a lot to learn 'bout life up here, Flare." She then turned back to her other assistant(s). "So what do ya think?"

[Meanwhile]

Blueshield, Commander of the Thousand and One Mareabian Knights, looked out of the window of the inn. All seemed peaceful and cheery outside. Finally, a time of celebrating peace. A period for relaxation, diversion from commonplace troubles, to enjoy one's life...

...and knowing the habits of fortune, a period that shall be terminated expeditiously.

She donned a respectable wool jacket, scarf and hat, put on sturdy boots, took her weapons, and headed out for an aerial patrol around the town. The other ponies may have thought they were safe, but in this weather, she was not letting her guard down.

[Back In Town]

Night Jewel trudged through the streets, looking rather cold and miserable. Her "fox" outfit was not quite adequate for keeping her warm, and she hadn't been able to buy or steal anything better.

Too much snow... Everypony's all cheerful, and here I am trying to avoid freezing. Why does it have to be so cold all the time here?

Hey, you're the one who left your nice warm desert to come to this place.

She sighed and pressed onward to the town square, No matter how cold she was, she wasn't going to be left out of the fun.
    When in doubt, use cute little dragons.

Game and roleplaying stuff.

The data is 1's and 0's. Life is the jazz. (Previous avatars)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Heavy Metal

Arvadraa (and Horne, for that matter) has spent most of the day being absolutely ecstatic about the day's turn of events. Having not been able to celebrate Hearth's Warming since she was a filly, she's taken all celebratory facets of the event almost to an extreme, whether it be placing miniature hats on any animal she can find, helping to make cookies (which she takes to like a fish to water after all those muffins) or simply bursting out into song at random intervals. As it happens, being able to perform a duet with yourself is quite handy there.

Stellar, by contrast, has been relatively subdued so far. She's helped out where she's needed, and that she hasn't barricaded herself away to work on other projects speaks as to her 'willingness' to be 'social', but it feels rather like she's going to be Grinching this year.

Starbeam chose to stop by a time ago in order to visit, and apparently couldn't bring herself to depart so soon. Whether it's due to the pleasantly visceral nature of the experience or out of courtesy to Blades, neither unicorn has used any sort of magic during their campaign to assist the proprietor in making all the cookies.

"I forgot how wonderful this season was!" Arvadraa gushes. "There's snow and cookies and friends and family and...ahhh." She sighs happily. "It makes me wish the celebrations lasted longer. But! We'll make use of what time we have!"

"I was with you up until the 'make use of short periods of time' cliché." Stellar mumbles.

"As far as I'm aware, it's primarily logistical." Starbeam explains to Flare. "Placing holidays on specific dates allows individual schedules to come together more cleanly. It lets everypony know that they need to have everything in order by this specific day, so that large groups can spend more time free of worry." She turns to look at Blades. "Thank you for having me over, by the way. I find Hearth's Warming's are always better with family."

"Which...where are Mom and Dad, anyway? Don't they still live in Canterlot?"

"She's almost always busy this time of year. I did send invitations to Mythspire and Darkfang, but it's a long way by hoof."

---

Town Square

High above the snowy terraces, a lone pegasus, taking cover behind a white tuft of cloud, takes a moment to observe the festivities below. Her eyes light up upon seeing a target, and she falls through the bottom of the cloud, stopping at a hover just a few hooflengths from another pony.

The main effect of this is that Blueshield may find herself face-to-upside-down-face with Snowstorm, who greets her with a lopsided grin.

"Heya. Knight-Commander Blueshield, right?" She looks the other pegasus down and up. "That's some pretty heavy gear for a snowball fight, I'd say."

Below them, Dawnstrider begins moving ahead, set to cross paths with Night Jewel, assuming she doesn't decide to avoid him. That said, aside from his eyes, he looks quite a deal different than he normally does.
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

[Nightpage]

Starting a fire in a library without the room to see out the windows wasn't exactly a bright move. Hence why Lone Star was a leeeeettle cold every winter. And he HATED the cold. He'd asked for runes to keep the place warm, but apparently that wouldn't be much better than a fire.

The door banged open and he grinned broadly. Oh how he hated the cold, but how he loved the season.

One of these days, he thought, I need to get a jacket. Or a scarf. Or anything that could keep me warm, really.

... Lone Star was beginning to wonder if he was just stupid instead of crazy.

Don't be silly. You've got voices in your head, of course you're crazy.
    Yeah, you're probably right.

Sleigh bells ring~ Are you listenin'~ He sang, walking out into the cold. Without a scarf. Or jacket.

...He's an idiot.

---

[Hay Bale]

Hay Bale wore a big pink fluffy scarf and her business suit, whistling in the cold winter air.

Trottin' in a winter wonderland~
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    "Silverpine!" Sandy yelped in surprise as he found himself suddenly pulled into a friendly side-hug. "Either this whole thing was a cover for another stealth exercise, or m'height's gotten th' better of me again." He glanced over; his own shoulder barely rose above Silverpine's knee. Returning the hug would present...severe logistical difficulties. "...yep, definitely a stealth exercise. Guess I lose!" He shrugged and chuckled good-naturedly.
    Silverpine chuckled. "Indeed! Now let's go find where the other crewmembers might be. They shouldn't be far off! Come on now, Sandy." He let the unicorn go and trotted forward, his eyes searching around.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    [Nightpage]

Starting a fire in a library without the room to see out the windows wasn't exactly a bright move. Hence why Lone Star was a leeeeettle cold every winter. And he HATED the cold. He'd asked for runes to keep the place warm, but apparently that wouldn't be much better than a fire.

The door banged open and he grinned broadly. Oh how he hated the cold, but how he loved the season.

One of these days, he thought, I need to get a jacket. Or a scarf. Or anything that could keep me warm, really.

... Lone Star was beginning to wonder if he was just stupid instead of crazy.

Don't be silly. You've got voices in your head, of course you're crazy.
    Yeah, you're probably right.

Sleigh bells ring~ Are you listenin'~ He sang, walking out into the cold. Without a scarf. Or jacket.

...He's an idiot.
    And his fillyfriend seems to agree. "Star, you idiot," Esmeralda said with an eyeroll. Unlike a certain one-winged pegasus, Esmeralda at least had the decency to bundle herself in proper winterwear.

"We're going to get you some decent clothes even if I have to drag you screaming and kicking to shopping." Actually, she probably was doing that now by dragging Lone Star off by the ear.
    Last edited by Grif; 2013-12-12 at 08:19 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Silverpine chuckled. "Indeed! Now let's go find where the other crewmembers might be. They shouldn't be far off! Come on now, Sandy." He let the unicorn go and trotted forward, his eyes searching around.
    Sandy trotted dutifully by his side, his sandy head occasionally leaping above the crowds for a quick peek as they walked. Would they spot a splash of magenta and rainbow? Or would they spy a bit of xanadu and olive peeking out from under a trusty homburg?

"Thank goodness we talked th' Cap'n out of havin' our own tree aboard th' ship." Sandy remarked, looking up at the massive pine tree in the center of the square. "I'd give it...five minutes before somethin' caught it on fire. Ten if we were careful."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

And his fillyfriend seems to agree. "Star, you idiot," Esmeralda said with an eyeroll. Unlike a certain one-winged pegasus, Esmeralda at least had the decency to bundle herself in proper winterwear.

"We're going to get you some decent clothes even if I have to drag you screaming and kicking to shopping." Actually, she probably was doing that now by dragging Lone Star off by the ear.
    OW OW OW!!!! Oh come oOWn, it's not THAT OW cold! I'd only OW wear it in OW winter anyOWway! Writers don't OW make a OW lot! Cold's bracOWing! It's just OW the metal that OW hurts! OW! Okay, okay, I'm coming, stop OW!! OW OW OW!!!... I'd settle for tugging the metal wing instead of my OW!!

Extended Sig

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

(@Sandy, letting Orzel and Benson have a chance to respond first if they wanted to.)

OW OW OW!!!! Oh come oOWn, it's not THAT OW cold! I'd only OW wear it in OW winter anyOWway! Writers don't OW make a OW lot! Cold's bracOWing! It's just OW the metal that OW hurts! OW! Okay, okay, I'm coming, stop OW!! OW OW OW!!!... I'd settle for tugging the metal wing instead of my OW!!
    Screaming and kicking it was. Though Esmeralda relented somewhat after his last pleas, lifting the entire pony bodily with her magic and floating him along behind her as she made her way to one of Bridle Shore's boutiques!

The ice mage pushed her way through the front door, her ears perking at the soft sounds of bells tinkling in the corner, and deposited Lone Star in a bedraggled heap. "Hello?"

"Sorry, miss! But we're closed!"

"Sorry my arse. I'm not having my coltfriend freeze out there in this weather. Now show me your winterwear."

"But..."

"No buts." Esmeralda flashed him an annoyed look.

One look at the deadly serious, and slightly crazed look of the both of them, convinced the shopkeep that it was probably in the best interest to cooperate. "R-Right this way, mister," he said to Lone Star, cringing slightly.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin360 View Post
    Arvadraa (and Horne, for that matter) has spent most of the day being absolutely ecstatic about the day's turn of events. Having not been able to celebrate Hearth's Warming since she was a filly, she's taken all celebratory facets of the event almost to an extreme, whether it be placing miniature hats on any animal she can find, helping to make cookies (which she takes to like a fish to water after all those muffins) or simply bursting out into song at random intervals. As it happens, being able to perform a duet with yourself is quite handy there.

Stellar, by contrast, has been relatively subdued so far. She's helped out where she's needed, and that she hasn't barricaded herself away to work on other projects speaks as to her 'willingness' to be 'social', but it feels rather like she's going to be Grinching this year.

Starbeam chose to stop by a time ago in order to visit, and apparently couldn't bring herself to depart so soon. Whether it's due to the pleasantly visceral nature of the experience or out of courtesy to Blades, neither unicorn has used any sort of magic during their campaign to assist the proprietor in making all the cookies.

"I forgot how wonderful this season was!" Arvadraa gushes. "There's snow and cookies and friends and family and...ahhh." She sighs happily. "It makes me wish the celebrations lasted longer. But! We'll make use of what time we have!"

"I was with you up until the 'make use of short periods of time' cliché." Stellar mumbles.

"As far as I'm aware, it's primarily logistical." Starbeam explains to Flare. "Placing holidays on specific dates allows individual schedules to come together more cleanly. It lets everypony know that they need to have everything in order by this specific day, so that large groups can spend more time free of worry." She turns to look at Blades. "Thank you for having me over, by the way. I find Hearth's Warming's are always better with family."

"Which...where are Mom and Dad, anyway? Don't they still live in Canterlot?"

"She's almost always busy this time of year. I did send invitations to Mythspire and Darkfang, but it's a long way by hoof."
    "Oh, it's a pleasure, Miss Starbeam!" Blades took a reindeer cookie and bit the head off. "The more, the merrier! It's a bit diffrent without Mother 'n Father here, but it's still nice enough, don't ya think?"

"I find these customs... unusual, to say the least."

"'N that's what makes 'em special! If ya baked holiday cookies, sang songs, 'n made merry every day, it'd mean a lot less than if ya did it a few times a year with friends! Of course, hangin' out with friends 'n family can be done any time."

"...Then I had best adapt. But I will not be able to hang out with any relatives of mine until I find out where their graves are, at the least."

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin360
    High above the snowy terraces, a lone pegasus, taking cover behind a white tuft of cloud, takes a moment to observe the festivities below. Her eyes light up upon seeing a target, and she falls through the bottom of the cloud, stopping at a hover just a few hooflengths from another pony.

The main effect of this is that Blueshield may find herself face-to-upside-down-face with Snowstorm, who greets her with a lopsided grin.

"Heya. Knight-Commander Blueshield, right?" She looks the other pegasus down and up. "That's some pretty heavy gear for a snowball fight, I'd say."
    Blueshield gave a glare in response. "Snowballs? I am maintaining vigilance against significantly more prodigious threats, thank you very much. In any instant, some variety of foe could decide to take advantage of our distraction to assail us unanticipated with catastrophic consequences. As you would expect, I would prefer it if any such occurrences were prevented pre-emptively."

Below them, Dawnstrider begins moving ahead, set to cross paths with Night Jewel, assuming she doesn't decide to avoid him. That said, aside from his eyes, he looks quite a deal different than he normally does.
    Naturally, Night Jewel wasn't interested in avoiding him. She smiled at him despite the cold.

"Hi! Quite spectacular weather we're having! Not like what I'm used to." She paused to look around and shiver a bit. "So what have you been up to?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PurityIcekiller View Post
    "Oh, it's a pleasure, Miss Starbeam!" Blades took a reindeer cookie and bit the head off. "The more, the merrier! It's a bit diffrent without Mother 'n Father here, but it's still nice enough, don't ya think?"

"I find these customs... unusual, to say the least."

"'N that's what makes 'em special! If ya baked holiday cookies, sang songs, 'n made merry every day, it'd mean a lot less than if ya did it a few times a year with friends! Of course, hangin' out with friends 'n family can be done any time."

"...Then I had best adapt. But I will not be able to hang out with any relatives of mine until I find out where their graves are, at the least."
    "Well, I mean, I'm not related to anypony here either, but..." A small blush creeps up Arvadraa's cheeks. "I've grown to think of most of you as family. That's what really defines it, isn't it? Especially on days like this. Who you're attached to, and who you share experiences with."

"Well geez, Brains, it's Hearth's Warming; don't go and make us all cry."

"Would that there were some eggnog to toast that with."

"Okay, yeah, dripping with sap, but nice sentiment. I guess."

Blueshield gave a glare in response. "Snowballs? I am maintaining vigilance against significantly more prodigious threats, thank you very much. In any instant, some variety of foe could decide to take advantage of our distraction to assail us unanticipated with catastrophic consequences. As you would expect, I would prefer it if any such occurrences were prevented pre-emptively."
    Snowstorm actually chuckles and drops to an upright position. "Before I start, please don't take this like I'm not giving your concerns credit. I know if I was planning on an attack, I'd pretty heavily consider today. But, um, if anypony nearby was planning anything...well...discordant, the actual attack would be the least of our worries. The Wendigos would probably give us a pretty hefty forewarning, assuming getting frozen into blocks of ice doesn't stop any plots c-...uh, in their place."

She pauses to look Blueshield over, then frowns. "Please don't take any offense for my going psychoanalytical on you, but...you don't have anypony in town to spend the day with, do you?"

Naturally, Night Jewel wasn't interested in avoiding him. She smiled at him despite the cold.

"Hi! Quite spectacular weather we're having! Not like what I'm used to." She paused to look around and shiver a bit. "So what have you been up to?"
    "I would imagine the shock to be disorienting, at best." He frowns in concern. "I have accomplished little of note today, and I find that fact quite refreshing. Forgive me, but you look apt to turn into a particularly adroit popsicle at any moment. Should we not speak in warmer climes?"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

At least one crewmember wouldn't be too far off, as a matter of fact, Gearstride would come into view, dressed in red winter coat, dragging about a small green sack. On her head she seemed to be wearing a head band with a wire attached to it where from it...mistletoe dangled from it.

*laugh track then fade out*

She walked about her with a happy gait, ponytails bouncing, a big smile on her face as she hummed a little certain Hearthwarming tune. It would take long for her to spy her two favorite boys and happily waved at them from across the street just as a carriage passed in front of her. When it had passed she was gone.

A few seconds later she popped up behind Silverpine and Sandy and draped her forehooves over them pulling them in towards her. "Heya cutie pies, holiday greetings from Santy Gear." She grinned, glancing up, following her line of sight would show the both of them under her mistletoe. She then lightly smooched Sandy on his cheek and then planted a loud smooch on her dear Silverpine's pony lips.

"Mhuh!"

Oooooooooooooo/laugh track

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Lone Star was taken back. Very sorry about this, but ya know how it is. Gotta listen when you're lifted bodily and carried into a clothing store. He whispered. I'll get out of your mane quick as I can. Got anything in silver?

Extended Sig

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    At least one crewmember wouldn't be too far off, as a matter of fact, Gearstride would come into view, dressed in red winter coat, dragging about a small green sack. On her head she seemed to be wearing a head band with a wire attached to it where from it...mistletoe dangled from it.

*laugh track then fade out*

She walked about her with a happy gait, ponytails bouncing, a big smile on her face as she hummed a little certain Hearthwarming tune. It would take long for her to spy her two favorite boys and happily waved at them from across the street just as a carriage passed in front of her. When it had passed she was gone.

A few seconds later she popped up behind Silverpine and Sandy and draped her forehooves over them pulling them in towards her. "Heya cutie pies, holiday greetings from Santy Gear." She grinned, glancing up, following her line of sight would show the both of them under her mistletoe. She then lightly smooched Sandy on his cheek and then planted a loud smooch on her dear Silverpine's pony lips.

"Mhuh!"

Oooooooooooooo/laugh track
    "Hey, Captain!" Silverpine waved with a wide grin as he spied the xanadu mare. He blinked as she suddenly disappeared... only to reappear again behind them!

"Gah!" he yelped as she pulled them close for a hug. Which turned into a surprised mmrhh with the smooch. He pulled away, flushing a little. "Captain, we're still in public."

Lone Star was taken back. Very sorry about this, but ya know how it is. Gotta listen when you're lifted bodily and carried into a clothing store. He whispered. I'll get out of your mane quick as I can. Got anything in silver?
    "S-Silver? I don't think so, but you're free to take a look." He glanced nervously at Esmeralda, who narrowed her eyes at the two whispering with each other, then looked back to Lone Star. "Please make it quick... she ain't gonna cause trouble, is she?"

Didn't help Esmeralda was now casually shaping a razorsharp spiky ball in the air. Nothing focuses the mind like the prospect of sharp implements.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

"Hey, Captain!" Silverpine waved with a wide grin as he spied the xanadu mare. He blinked as she suddenly disappeared... only to reappear again behind them!

"Gah!" he yelped as she pulled them close for a hug. Which turned into a surprised mmrhh with the smooch. He pulled away, flushing a little. "Captain, we're still in public."
    Sandy yelped right alongside Silverpine, caught mid-leap as he tried to search for the Captain. He smiled and gave a little salute when he caught sight of their captor. "Happy Hearth's Warmin', Cap'n! Didn't know th' Cirrus were responsible for givin' out...th' gifts..." His eyes widened in realization as he followed her gaze. "Is that...Cap'n, wait-!"

Too little, too late. The little stallion blushed furiously at the smooch, pulling his cap's ear flappies down to protect his vulnerable cheeks from further ambushes. "Rainbow don't cotton t'sharin' her stallion much, Cap'n..." he cautioned.

Caught beneath the mistletoe with another mare; the scandal!
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2013-12-13 at 02:13 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

"S-Silver? I don't think so, but you're free to take a look." He glanced nervously at Esmeralda, who narrowed her eyes at the two whispering with each other, then looked back to Lone Star. "Please make it quick... she ain't gonna cause trouble, is she?"

Didn't help Esmeralda was now casually shaping a razorsharp spiky ball in the air. Nothing focuses the mind like the prospect of sharp implements.
    ... She's... probably just trying to intimidate you... But just in case, let's hurry. Lone Star looked to Es and cut a hoof across his neck, as if to say 'knock it off'.

Extended Sig

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

... She's... probably just trying to intimidate you... But just in case, let's hurry. Lone Star looked to Es and cut a hoof across his neck, as if to say 'knock it off'.
    Esmeralda fluttered her eyes innocently, giving Lone Star a most hurt look at his implied accusation.

Which gave the shopkeeper plenty of incentive to hustle Lone Star deeper into the shop and dress him up. Cue dressing montage in which Lone Star was forced to wear several (possibly humiliating winterwear).

(Choose your outfit )

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Too stuffy...I don't think this is for pegasi... nice kimono, but this is summerwear... oooh, this one's got a hood!...and spiders. Let's just put that back... Smells like cheese...little tight...WHY AM I IN A MAID'S OUTFIT?!...Okay, let's just go with this.

Lone Star had picked out a silver jacket with a hood, thick enough for the weather by a small margin. Can we go now? I think he's about to have a heart attack... Besides... He ran a hoof along Es' barrel. I think I'd rather warm up with you than in a clothing store~

Extended Sig

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Well, I mean, I'm not related to anypony here either, but..." A small blush creeps up Arvadraa's cheeks. "I've grown to think of most of you as family. That's what really defines it, isn't it? Especially on days like this. Who you're attached to, and who you share experiences with."

"Well geez, Brains, it's Hearth's Warming; don't go and make us all cry."

"Would that there were some eggnog to toast that with."

"Okay, yeah, dripping with sap, but nice sentiment. I guess."
    "Oh, 'Vadraa..." Blades stepped over and seized her for a tight hug.

"Charming. Are sudden epiphanies part of the celebrations?"

"Ya never know! But still, 'Vadraa's right. We're all together, 'n it doesn't matter if ya're a mother, a sister, or just somepony who hangs out a lot. What matters is that ya care for each other."

"...I suppose I can consider you close enough, as you released me from an eternity of tedium. However, I am... unsure if I can relate."

"Just relax, Flare! Ya'll get into it."

Snowstorm actually chuckles and drops to an upright position. "Before I start, please don't take this like I'm not giving your concerns credit. I know if I was planning on an attack, I'd pretty heavily consider today. But, um, if anypony nearby was planning anything...well...discordant, the actual attack would be the least of our worries. The Wendigos would probably give us a pretty hefty forewarning, assuming getting frozen into blocks of ice doesn't stop any plots c-...uh, in their place."
    "From my experiences-"

She pauses to look Blueshield over, then frowns. "Please don't take any offense for my going psychoanalytical on you, but...you don't have anypony in town to spend the day with, do you?"
    Blueshield was stopped by this. She took a moment to consider.

"I was... not intending to associate with other individuals. My duty has always been my first priority. Therefore, the answer to your question is negative."

"I would imagine the shock to be disorienting, at best." He frowns in concern. "I have accomplished little of note today, and I find that fact quite refreshing. Forgive me, but you look apt to turn into a particularly adroit popsicle at any moment. Should we not speak in warmer climes?"
    "That sounds good to me. I wanted to check out the festivities, but that'll have to wait until I can stay warm out here." Night Jewel shivered some more. "Do you have anywhere in mind?"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh, 'Vadraa..." Blades stepped over and seized her for a tight hug.

"Charming. Are sudden epiphanies part of the celebrations?"

"Ya never know! But still, 'Vadraa's right. We're all together, 'n it doesn't matter if ya're a mother, a sister, or just somepony who hangs out a lot. What matters is that ya care for each other."

"...I suppose I can consider you close enough, as you released me from an eternity of tedium. However, I am... unsure if I can relate."

"Just relax, Flare! Ya'll get into it."
    Arvadraa returns the hug with a nuzzle atop, ignoring Stellar's mock gagging motions. "I don't expect anypony in your position to make those kinds of connections overnight, Flare. It does take time. But we'll be here for you when you need us every step of the way."

Stellar smirks. "You're not getting out of having to give out presents just by charming us out of our horseshoes, you know."

Arvadraa returns the grin. "Oh, I know. Think of the good cheer like another, immaterial present."

"From my experiences-"

Blueshield was stopped by this. She took a moment to consider.

"I was... not intending to associate with other individuals. My duty has always been my first priority. Therefore, the answer to your question is negative."
    "Mmhmm. I'm still not judging you, but I'm going to take this moment to point out that social exploration is one of the main prerogatives and, in fact, benefits of this particular celebration and those like it. What you're doing is important, but you're doing it so that other ponies can securely do the things you aren't, or so I assume. Another question - did you stay on the force around this time of year back home, too? Bearing in mind that there's still no judgment to be found from me."

"That sounds good to me. I wanted to check out the festivities, but that'll have to wait until I can stay warm out here." Night Jewel shivered some more. "Do you have anywhere in mind?"
    "We can remain outside and still keep warm. I believe I saw..." He looks around, and then points at a pair near the tree in the town square. "My father can provide warmth and conversation, and it appears as though he and my mother are not busy, so we can presumably take him wherever we wish to go."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

"Mmhmm. I'm still not judging you, but I'm going to take this moment to point out that social exploration is one of the main prerogatives and, in fact, benefits of this particular celebration and those like it. What you're doing is important, but you're doing it so that other ponies can securely do the things you aren't, or so I assume. Another question - did you stay on the force around this time of year back home, too? Bearing in mind that there's still no judgment to be found from me."
    "Well, glad we're not the only one here freezing our hooves off!" Lemongrass called out cheerily, followed closely behind by a scowling Tyrol. Both were in their winter guard outfit. Which mostly consists of a thick woollen sweater underneath their guard armour, with earmuffs to protect their ears.

Tyrol rolled his eyes. "Lemongrass, we're supposed to be on duty, not talking to mares."

Lemongrass shrugged. "Capt'n said nothing about not talking to citizens now."

"Yeah well. If Stormcloak raises a fuss about this, I'm going to say it's all your fault."

The pegasus guard cheerily ignored the comments of his compatriot. "So, ladies, what are you doing out here?"

Too stuffy...I don't think this is for pegasi... nice kimono, but this is summerwear... oooh, this one's got a hood!...and spiders. Let's just put that back... Smells like cheese...little tight...WHY AM I IN A MAID'S OUTFIT?!...Okay, let's just go with this.

Lone Star had picked out a silver jacket with a hood, thick enough for the weather by a small margin. Can we go now? I think he's about to have a heart attack... Besides... He ran a hoof along Es' barrel. I think I'd rather warm up with you than in a clothing store~
    Esmeralda smiled pleasantly when Lone Star returned. "Oh, excellent choice, dear." Her smile widened at his gentle touch on her foreleg. "You know I feel the same way, Star~" she whispered seductively, before catching sight of the shopkeep peeped out behind Lone Star. He warily watched the reactions of the ice blue mare. He blinked in surprise as a bag of bits was tossed his way, which he caught easily with a hoof.

"Now that we're properly dressed, let us be off. See you around, stud~" she said with a wink at the shopkeeper, who promptly flushed as Emseralda sashayed out through the door with Lone Star in tow. Once outside, she stopped to kiss him on the cheek. "Mmm, where to then, dear?"
    Last edited by Grif; 2013-12-14 at 01:49 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Arvadraa returns the hug with a nuzzle atop, ignoring Stellar's mock gagging motions. "I don't expect anypony in your position to make those kinds of connections overnight, Flare. It does take time. But we'll be here for you when you need us every step of the way."

Stellar smirks. "You're not getting out of having to give out presents just by charming us out of our horseshoes, you know."

Arvadraa returns the grin. "Oh, I know. Think of the good cheer like another, immaterial present."
    "See, that's what I like 'bout ya, 'Vadraa! Ya're always so kind!"

Flare was taken aback. "An... obligatory transfer of gifts?"

"Yep! It's a tradition! Ya give each other nice things to show yar genrosity! 'N it gets other ponies to show genrosity right back at ya." Blades chuckled and continued nuzzling Arvadraa.

"...I see. However, I still am unsure. Does generosity really mean as much if it is obligatory?"

"Well... Girls, can ya help out a bit?"

"Back home, we do not put the same emphasis on these events as you do. We appreciate our unity in quieter ways, and do not expect rogues and scoundrels to take the day off to party."

Blueshield paused for a bit, then added, "In any case, there was little else to do."

"Well, glad we're not the only one here freezing our hooves off!" Lemongrass called out cheerily, followed closely behind by a scowling Tyrol. Both were in their winter guard outfit. Which mostly consists of a thick woollen sweater underneath their guard armour, with earmuffs to protect their ears.

Tyrol rolled his eyes. "Lemongrass, we're supposed to be on duty, not talking to mares."

"Yeah well. If Stormcloak raises a fuss about this, I'm going to say it's all your fault."

The pegasus guard cheerily ignored the comments of his compatriot. "So, ladies, what are you doing out here?"
    Blueshield flattened her ears at the word "citizen", seeing as it was not an apt description of her, but said nothing about it.

"The same thing as you are. Keeping watch for potential troublemakers."

"We can remain outside and still keep warm. I believe I saw..." He looks around, and then points at a pair near the tree in the town square. "My father can provide warmth and conversation, and it appears as though he and my mother are not busy, so we can presumably take him wherever we wish to go."
    Night Jewel nodded. "Excellent. Normally I'd question dragging him along everywhere, but if he's got a heat spell, I'm fine with that."

She let him lead the way. She felt it would be a little awkward to ask Taylor herself, and she was still somewhat nervous around paladins.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hey, now, being cold builds character!" Snowstorm shoots back cheekily. "We were just having a chat about keeping up patrols today. I'm guessing the guard here does it too, huh?"

"See, that's what I like 'bout ya, 'Vadraa! Ya're always so kind!"

Flare was taken aback. "An... obligatory transfer of gifts?"

"Yep! It's a tradition! Ya give each other nice things to show yar genrosity! 'N it gets other ponies to show genrosity right back at ya." Blades chuckled and continued nuzzling Arvadraa.

"...I see. However, I still am unsure. Does generosity really mean as much if it is obligatory?"

"Well... Girls, can ya help out a bit?"
    "Pfft. No. But are you gonna turn down free gifts just because they're mandated?"

"I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a show of generosity so much as a demonstration of how well you know a pony. A gift is, by its very nature, personalized. It wasn't always that way, of course - historically, gift-giving ceremonies have been more focused on trading necessities so that everypony has what they need at the end of the day instead of simply being a festivity - but in today's society where wants are usually covered, it's become more of a...I suppose hippopologically I would call it a bonding exercise."

"Basically you're supposed to give to show you actually care that the recipient exists. Wild stab - it's a big part of Hearth's Warming because it's supposed to be this big thing about togetherness so we don't get frozen by angry winter spirits."

"Um, I agree with Stellar's bluntness, which feels strange. It's not really the gift - it's the effort that goes into it. It's a symbol, like almost everything will be today."

"Back home, we do not put the same emphasis on these events as you do. We appreciate our unity in quieter ways, and do not expect rogues and scoundrels to take the day off to party."

Blueshield paused for a bit, then added, "In any case, there was little else to do."

Blueshield flattened her ears at the word "citizen", seeing as it was not an apt description of her, but said nothing about it.

"I can see your point there. It makes sense to keep a close eye on things even when everypony else has a day off. I guess I just never really identified with volunteering for it. Which...thanks. All of you. It can't be easy taking time out of a holiday to look out for the rest of us, even if it isn't as big a deal."

Night Jewel nodded. "Excellent. Normally I'd question dragging him along everywhere, but if he's got a heat spell, I'm fine with that."

She let him lead the way. She felt it would be a little awkward to ask Taylor herself, and she was still somewhat nervous around paladins.
    Dawnstrider walks at a half-trot, as though he want to get a move on, but isn't overly thrilled with where he's going. Eventually, though, the end destination is unavoidable.

"-And then hit it from the sides. If I have to watch one more pony try and tackle one of those head-to-head it won't be...oh, hey!" Taylor flashes the pair a grin. "Figured you'd get tired of staying on the outskirts at some point."

"Indeed." Dawnstrider states somewhat gruffly. "We require mild succor."

"It shows." Silver notes worriedly, digging around in a saddlebag. She pulls out what looks like a towel, but made of some sort of soft material that makes it more of a blanket, and offers it to Night Jewel. "Goodness, you look chilled to the bone."

"That is unlikely, but I won't necessarily begrudge you parental hyperbole."

"Says the pony wearing next to no winterwear." The snow around Taylor's hooves begins to melt as he starts producing waves of heat, not unlike a contained and lit fireplace. "Shall we introduce ourselves?"

"Indeed. Night Jewel, you are, I believe, already familiar with Sunshine, my father. This is...my mother, Silver Streak." This spoken almost through gritted teeth.

For her part, Silver seems not to notice. She flashes Jewel a smile. "Always a pleasure to meet one of Dawn's new friends."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Esmeralda smiled pleasantly when Lone Star returned. "Oh, excellent choice, dear." Her smile widened at his gentle touch on her foreleg. "You know I feel the same way, Star~" she whispered seductively, before catching sight of the shopkeep peeped out behind Lone Star. He warily watched the reactions of the ice blue mare. He blinked in surprise as a bag of bits was tossed his way, which he caught easily with a hoof.

"Now that we're properly dressed, let us be off. See you around, stud~" she said with a wink at the shopkeeper, who promptly flushed as Emseralda sashayed out through the door with Lone Star in tow. Once outside, she stopped to kiss him on the cheek. "Mmm, where to then, dear?"
    He grinned and put his good wing around her, kissing her back. How's some hot chocolate sound? Dinner? Dancing? We could go back to your place and turn off all the lights~

Extended Sig

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

He grinned and put his good wing around her, kissing her back. How's some hot chocolate sound? Dinner? Dancing? We could go back to your place and turn off all the lights~
    "Why not all of them?" Esmeralda said with a wicked smile, snuggling closer to his warmth. "Though hot chocolate sounds heavenly now~ Reminds me almost of home, this season."

"Ya mean y'all don't celebrate Hearth's Warming's Eve where you come from?" Lemongrass said, looking aghast.

"I can see your point there. It makes sense to keep a close eye on things even when everypony else has a day off. I guess I just never really identified with volunteering for it. Which...thanks. All of you. It can't be easy taking time out of a holiday to look out for the rest of us, even if it isn't as big a deal."
    Tyrol shrugged. "Well, it's what we're paid to do. Somepony still needs to walk the streets anyhow." He smiled a little. "It's not like we don't get the night off later anyway. I have somepony waiting for me..."

"Knock it off, Ty. Sappy just isn't you. Whatever happened to the stiff I used to know?"

Tyrol ribbed his friend. Hard. "Ponies change y'know."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Gearstride, Silverpine, and Sandy Shores

"Oh Lieutenant, don't get all shy on me,"
    She grinned lightly kissing his cheek before pulling away and standing in front of her two boys.

"Oh silly Sandy, yer gettin the wrong idea but anyways!....Guess what guess what the Cirrus will be doing for Hearthswarming!"
    She excitedly grinned and squeaked.
    =====

Fox Trot and Icy Touch

As for Fox, the mocha stallion happily trotted over to his lady love's house, dressed in a red sweater with a pair of candy canes crossed. It was cheesy, he knew it, but he was in a good mood and feeling festive that day.

A surprise he had for Icy and he looked forward to showing her it today.

Knock Knock!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Gearstride, Silverpine, and Sandy Shores

"Oh Lieutenant, don't get all shy on me,"
    She grinned lightly kissing his cheek before pulling away and standing in front of her two boys.

"Oh silly Sandy, yer gettin the wrong idea but anyways!....Guess what guess what the Cirrus will be doing for Hearthswarming!"
    She excitedly grinned and squeaked.
    "Captain, I thought we all agreed not to have any trees on the Cirrus," Silverpine said, raising an eyebrow. He had a bad feeling about this.

Fox Trot and Icy Touch

As for Fox, the mocha stallion happily trotted over to his lady love's house, dressed in a red sweater with a pair of candy canes crossed. It was cheesy, he knew it, but he was in a good mood and feeling festive that day.

A surprise he had for Icy and he looked forward to showing her it today.

Knock Knock!
    Icy has had a pleasant day so far, with Esmeralda out of the house (and her hair), it was as good as any time to catch up on some reading! In this case, she was quite engrossed in the Studies of Occult Magicks when the door rang. The ice mage crinkled her muzzle at the interruption. "This better not be some kid asking for candy. I thought Nightmare Night was over..." she muttered, as she placed her book aside and went to open the door...