New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [FWM] Backstage: CUT!

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Lone Star shrugged as he went to make hot chocolate. I've got voices in my head. Nopony's perfect.

Es had grabbed a book entitled Whole Ruins by White Swan. From her brief glances, it seemed a sci-fi action story about three armies clashing for control of a powerful artifact. The perspective shifted between the three factions - a race of various anthromorphic animals with powerful technology, a hive-minded race of psychics, and a single squad of super soldiers.

... Apparently this was not one of the 'wine bottles' Lone Star was talking about.
    Quite so. But the title piqued Esmeralda enough that she took the book down and started reading the first chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post

"Not that kind of pageant Shores, two different things....but...you'll only have to wear a dress if you really want to,"
    She grinned.

"Anyways, the Civic Center is sorta the host, gonna be in the town park, other venues were too pricey or something."
    "I assume all the logistics would be handled by the town, instead by the crew?" Silverpine asked.

[/SIZE]

"Oh Icy..."
    He chuckled at her response about not knowing it was Hearthswarming. Another light nuzzle for his nerdy lady. "Anyways...I was thinking....something a little winter wonderland.....Oh!.....maybe we can get some festive decorations for your...spartan house......and then winter wonderland date stuffs." He looked around the livingroom and took the moment to also take a sip from his cocoa on the coffee table.
    Spartan? Yes. That would still describe her house at this particular moment. Aside from the normal furniture, there's not so much as a single piece of decoration, decorative items or any sort of momento that adorned the room. Efficiency at its best. Icy never really did see the need for such superfluous items, preferring instead to save her bits for functional goods.

"Winter... wonderland date stuff?" Icy repeated doubtfully, tilting her head. "Are you absolutely sure this is necessary, Fox?"

Quote Originally Posted by PurityIcekiller View Post
    "...I suppose your intentions were acceptable, although your methods were a little lacking. I suggest an alternative method for acquiring familiarity. Normal introductions should not involve the complete dissection of another pony's personal matters."

Blueshield calmed down again. "Better. Thank you." She gave a nod. "Your respect is appreciated. Now, where would your bar happen to be?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin360 View Post
    "Natural progress, huh?" This time, her smile is the normal kind. "I can do that."
    "The bar's just around the corner, three blocks down. Though... uh... we should probably get back on patrol before Captain rounds us up for dereliction of duty." The wince on Tyrol's face probably told the rest how seriously the Captain took the matter. "Maybe in an hour time?"

"Is the batpony coming too?"

Tyrol rolled his eyes. "No idea. Why don't you ask him, smarty pants?"

"... so you coming too?" One smooth talker, Lemongrass was.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    "... No, Mr Shores. I'm sure we don't need to repeat that particular experience," Silverpine said with a deadpan.

"Not that kind of pageant Shores, two different things....but...you'll only have to wear a dress if you really want to,"
    She grinned.

"Anyways, the Civic Center is sorta the host, gonna be in the town park, other venues were too pricey or something."
    "Oh thank Luna," Sandy breathed a sigh of relief. "I can only take so much in th' line of duty..." He made a mental note to not drink anything offered by the Cap'n, just in case.

"I assume all the logistics would be handled by the town, instead by the crew?" Silverpine asked.
    "An' when do we start?" Sandy chimed in eagerly.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

[Clouds Above Bridle Shores]

"Well now you've gone and piqued my curiosity. What's everypony think; five makes a party for the bar scene?"

"The bar's just around the corner, three blocks down. Though... uh... we should probably get back on patrol before Captain rounds us up for dereliction of duty." The wince on Tyrol's face probably told the rest how seriously the Captain took the matter. "Maybe in an hour time?"

Purple Prose shrugs, flashing a lazy smirk. "Eh, sure, I'll tag along. I'm curious to see this bar, now that you lot have been talkin' about it so much."
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    "Oh thank Luna," Sandy breathed a sigh of relief. "I can only take so much in th' line of duty..." He made a mental note to not drink anything offered by the Cap'n, just in case.

"An' when do we start?" Sandy chimed in eagerly.

"We start or rather we're to head over to the Civic Center as soon as possible, and yes, Silverpine, that stuff will be handled by the town, or rather the producers, directors...them. We get the easy-er-ish tasks."

Quote Originally Posted by Grif

Spartan? Yes. That would still describe her house at this particular moment. Aside from the normal furniture, there's not so much as a single piece of decoration, decorative items or any sort of momento that adorned the room. Efficiency at its best. Icy never really did see the need for such superfluous items, preferring instead to save her bits for functional goods.

"Winter... wonderland date stuff?" Icy repeated doubtfully, tilting her head. "Are you absolutely sure this is necessary, Fox?"
    Fox looked at her with disbelief. "...Well yea...how could you suggest otherwise?...Icy....babe...." He shook his head and then placed his hoof against his forehead and woefully sighed.

"You hate Hearthswarming...sniffle.."
    He melodramatically said and threw himself backwards on the couch. He was being silly, but he was going to put his acting chops into hammying it up, his cutie mark wasn't what it was for no reason.

"Oh my woes....the love of my life hates my favorite holiday...clearly she does by her words...oh bloo...bloo...."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quite so. But the title piqued Esmeralda enough that she took the book down and started reading the first chapter.
    The first chapter was from the point of the small squad of super soldiers. They were already entrenched as the psions and animal-people came in...

---

Lone Star came back with hot chocolate, smirking a bit that Es was apparently engrossed in the thing she'd been belittling moments ago.

Until he saw the title.

I'd facehoof if i had the hoof.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

"We start or rather we're to head over to the Civic Center as soon as possible, and yes, Silverpine, that stuff will be handled by the town, or rather the producers, directors...them. We get the easy-er-ish tasks."
    Silverpine raised an eyebrow. "You mean the most publicly visible task, yes?" he says with a faint smile. "Have they decided what exactly they have planned for the big day? It'll be good if we could get in a rehearsal or two before hoof."

Fox looked at her with disbelief. "...Well yea...how could you suggest otherwise?...Icy....babe...." He shook his head and then placed his hoof against his forehead and woefully sighed.

"You hate Hearthswarming...sniffle.."
    He melodramatically said and threw himself backwards on the couch. He was being silly, but he was going to put his acting chops into hammying it up, his cutie mark wasn't what it was for no reason.

"Oh my woes....the love of my life hates my favorite holiday...clearly she does by her words...oh bloo...bloo...."
    Icy was at a loss for words. She wasn't sure if she had offended Fox truly, or this was part of his hammy mock-reactions. "Oh... ummm... I'm sorry, dear. Umm... Hearth's Warming... doesn't quite resonate with me as it should..." she stammered, her ears flattening against her head.

The first chapter was from the point of the small squad of super soldiers. They were already entrenched as the psions and animal-people came in...

---

Lone Star came back with hot chocolate, smirking a bit that Es was apparently engrossed in the thing she'd been belittling moments ago.

Until he saw the title.

I'd facehoof if i had the hoof.
    Just the type of trashy pulp sci-fi Esmeralda enjoyed! The ice mage almost didn't notice Lone Star walking in with their drinks. She looked up with a smile. "Oh! You're back. I didn't know you stock such books. A far cry from the boring magic textbooks Icy had in volumes at home." She held up the book for Lone Star to see.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Just the type of trashy pulp sci-fi Esmeralda enjoyed! The ice mage almost didn't notice Lone Star walking in with their drinks. She looked up with a smile. "Oh! You're back. I didn't know you stock such books. A far cry from the boring magic textbooks Icy had in volumes at home." She held up the book for Lone Star to see.
    He looked over the book, not bothering to mention he'd read it twice. Not exactly the fine wine I was talking about, but yeah. Lone Star smiled as he set their drinks down. Yeah, fiction is a lot more fun than textbooks. White Swan's got a real talent for this pulp-sci-fi stuff, especially crossovers.

Extended Sig

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Well now you've gone and piqued my curiosity. What's everypony think; five makes a party for the bar scene?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Purple Prose shrugs, flashing a lazy smirk. "Eh, sure, I'll tag along. I'm curious to see this bar, now that you lot have been talkin' about it so much."
    Blueshield nodded to the guards. "It is good to see you take some things seriously, at any rate. I shall see you when the time comes, then."

She then noticed Purple Prose. "Ah, yes. I know you. You are welcome to accompany me if you so desire, so long as you behave properly. Given your status and my personal knowledge, I expect you to."

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin360
    "Natural progress, huh?" This time, her smile is the normal kind. "I can do that."
    "Good. Keep it unintrusive."

She turned away then. "I shall continue my watch now. Follow if you wish."

"Hey Brains, got any llamas in your posse?"

"Mm, no. I've seen one or two, but they don't stay around for very long. Though I think a conversation with one would be fascinating."

"What would they even have to talk about? Different ways to chew grass?"

"No, no - cows have much more to say on that subject."

"There are multiple theses on the subject."

"I'm not sure what bugs me more. That theses about that are a thing or that you two would probably read them."

"Apparently you can burn up to five times the calories if you work certain muscles during the process."

"I've heard it was more like seven. Of course, it wasn't from a really reliable source..."

"Eight is theoretically possible, but the physical dynamics get sketchier the closer you draw to an order of magnitude."

"Okay. I'm vetoing this conversation right now."
    Blades started to look rather overwhelmed.

"Mm, really? I haven't had the pleasure, but I've read astounding reviews."

"Woah woah woah. Woah. Woah. Wait. There are reviews on books? As in, literally reading about reading a book? Are there reviews of reviews? How deep does it go?"

"Any commentary on original subject matter composed by another individual is technically a review. Therefore, a review of a review of a review of a review is quite common during, for examples, debates on debates, which-"

Starbeam finds herself suddenly unable to speak thanks to the cookie that now inhabits her mouth. "Not a serious question. Let the moment pass."
    "Ah, thanks, Stellar. That was gettin' me dizzy."

Blades nodded. "Well, it's good to know what ya're readin' 'fore ya read it. I remember one time I found this book which I thought was 'bout immortals, but... Eh, never mind! Let's just find a good book."

With that, Blades headed into the back of the shop, remained there for a while, and finally came out with a rectangular package in wrapping paper. "Here ya go! Hope ya like it! It's a bit magic-heavy, but still a fun story!"

"Huh?" Taylor shakes his head at her final question. "Sorry, you lost me back at 'banditry cutie marks'. Is...that a recent thing?"

Silver smirks. "Hmm. I can already tell the next thing out of your mouth is going to involve the phrase 'back in my day...'."

Taylor puts a hoof on his chest in mock protest. "Hey, I'm old. Cut me some slack."

"Unfortunately for you, dear, I'm old, too." She chuckles and gives him a quick nuzzle.

"Is the state of the roads a reflection on the political makeup of the general area?" Dawnstrider asks interestedly. "Or is it simply a matter of international borders lacking certain protections?"
    Night Jewel laughed. "Oh, it was many years ago, back when the Knights weren't exactly competent and several villages on your side of the border trained their foals from a ridiculously young age to fight." She shook her head. "It was kind of silly, really. I guess ponies here didn't really see it as noteworthy.

"Anyway, what happened was one unicorn found her talent by plundering wagons, and that inspired others who lived nearby to do the same. The raids went on for months. Eventually, most of the troublemakers were caught and arrested, most of them not even getting their cutie marks in the process, but the unicorn who started it all vanished into the Blue Mountains. It's still unknown what became of her after that.

"Times have changed now. Training from birth in combat arts is discouraged, and the leadership of the Knights has become more organized. Still, trade ceased completely for a while, and while it's been getting stronger since then, there are still fewer caravans to your lands then in the years before, and they're all heavily protected. Some ponies have long memories."

Well, the subject's off you for now, so that's good. But don't blame me if you get your mind adjusted, okay?
    When in doubt, use cute little dragons.

Game and roleplaying stuff.

The data is 1's and 0's. Life is the jazz. (Previous avatars)

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Icy was at a loss for words. She wasn't sure if she had offended Fox truly, or this was part of his hammy mock-reactions. "Oh... ummm... I'm sorry, dear. Umm... Hearth's Warming... doesn't quite resonate with me as it should..." she stammered, her ears flattening against her head.

This prompted a real frown as he sat up and moved his hoof to cup her cheek. "Maybe...it didn't resonate with you...because you didn't have anyone to spend it with before?" He gave her another smooch. "But that doesn't have to be the case anymore." He smiled.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

This prompted a real frown as he sat up and moved his hoof to cup her cheek. "Maybe...it didn't resonate with you...because you didn't have anyone to spend it with before?" He gave her another smooch. "But that doesn't have to be the case anymore." He smiled.
    The small gesture prompted another shy smile from Icy. "I... suppose. I have gotten used to spending time alone that... I just didn't think of partaking in festivities..." A flicker of sadness appeared in her eyes, before disappearing again. "Thank you, Fox."

He looked over the book, not bothering to mention he'd read it twice. Not exactly the fine wine I was talking about, but yeah. Lone Star smiled as he set their drinks down. Yeah, fiction is a lot more fun than textbooks. White Swan's got a real talent for this pulp-sci-fi stuff, especially crossovers.
    "Oho? You sound like a fan," Esmeralda said with a teasing smile. She sauntered over to Lone Star's side with the book and plopped down beside him. Then with one hoof idly teasing his good wing, she picked up one of the mugs and sipped. "Mmm~ Just what I needed. So, what kind of fine wine are you talking about then?"

Blueshield nodded to the guards. "It is good to see you take some things seriously, at any rate. I shall see you when the time comes, then."

She then noticed Purple Prose. "Ah, yes. I know you. You are welcome to accompany me if you so desire, so long as you behave properly. Given your status and my personal knowledge, I expect you to."

"Good. Keep it unintrusive."

Tyrol snapped off a brief salute, then hustled Lemongrass along. The latter was still grumbling mildly about having to pay for drinks and how he planned to get revenge. The pair soon disappeared into the bustling streets.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, what're we waitin' for?" Sandy threw a neat and tidy salute, ear-flaps flapping heroically in the chill breeze. "Sargent Shores, ready t'deploy t'play duty, ma'am Cap'n ma'am!"

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

"Oho? You sound like a fan," Esmeralda said with a teasing smile. She sauntered over to Lone Star's side with the book and plopped down beside him. Then with one hoof idly teasing his good wing, she picked up one of the mugs and sipped. "Mmm~ Just what I needed. So, what kind of fine wine are you talking about then?"
    More recently, Nightfall. Grid. Fallen Alicorns. The Calamity, maybe? For older classics there's White Whale, a Warming Carol, Whimsy and Trap, Glitter Ain't Gold. He shrugged, idly running his hoof along her neck.

Extended Sig

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ah, thanks, Stellar. That was gettin' me dizzy."

Blades nodded. "Well, it's good to know what ya're readin' 'fore ya read it. I remember one time I found this book which I thought was 'bout immortals, but... Eh, never mind! Let's just find a good book."

With that, Blades headed into the back of the shop, remained there for a while, and finally came out with a rectangular package in wrapping paper. "Here ya go! Hope ya like it! It's a bit magic-heavy, but still a fun story!"
    "Thank you, I'm certain I'll enjoy it." She tucks the package under her cloak, which in this case gives the illusion of it disappearing. "I'll open it later today when everypony else does; I'm something of a traditionalist that way."

"That actually makes you exactly a traditionalist. And a conformist, unless you were doing it before it was cool."

"Conformity isn't a bad thing - just ask ants."

"You mean the mindless army of hunter/killer scavengers that tend to decimate anything in their path?"

"Yes, exactly."

"Admittedly, that doesn't sound all bad..."

"Will the four of you be exchanging gifts under the tree in the town square later tonight?"

Night Jewel laughed. "Oh, it was many years ago, back when the Knights weren't exactly competent and several villages on your side of the border trained their foals from a ridiculously young age to fight." She shook her head. "It was kind of silly, really. I guess ponies here didn't really see it as noteworthy.

"Anyway, what happened was one unicorn found her talent by plundering wagons, and that inspired others who lived nearby to do the same. The raids went on for months. Eventually, most of the troublemakers were caught and arrested, most of them not even getting their cutie marks in the process, but the unicorn who started it all vanished into the Blue Mountains. It's still unknown what became of her after that.

"Times have changed now. Training from birth in combat arts is discouraged, and the leadership of the Knights has become more organized. Still, trade ceased completely for a while, and while it's been getting stronger since then, there are still fewer caravans to your lands then in the years before, and they're all heavily protected. Some ponies have long memories."
    Truth be told, I don't know much about the Knights. Hey Dawn, are they an Order?"

"I do not think the main collection is, but they could easily sanction one."

"I imagine they cracked down on more than just border intrusions. Was there a lot of resistance to their other policies?"
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

The small gesture prompted another shy smile from Icy. "I... suppose. I have gotten used to spending time alone that... I just didn't think of partaking in festivities..." A flicker of sadness appeared in her eyes, before disappearing again. "Thank you, Fox."

"You're welcomed."
    He looked her in the eyes and broadened his smile and then moved in to nuzzle her cheek with his. He then pulled back and nodded his head. "Alright then...how about....we finish our drinks and then you go get your pretty self ready and then we can go out?" He was quite glad he was able to convince her on this....he had a number of things planned and reserved that he wouldn't have gotten refunded for had she decided to not go. His inner Fox Trot sweat dropped in relief. ()
    =============

Silverpine raised an eyebrow. "You mean the most publicly visible task, yes?" he says with a faint smile. "Have they decided what exactly they have planned for the big day? It'll be good if we could get in a rehearsal or two before hoof."

"Oh...we're probably not going to play any big roles...if that's what yer thinking....hahah...that wouldn't make sense, though, I will admit, I would probably play a fantastic Chancellor Puddinghead, and you my Smart Cookie."
    She winked. "You'll probably just be part of small crowd scenes, play a starving earth pony farmer hahah..ahem."

"Well, what're we waitin' for?" Sandy threw a neat and tidy salute, ear-flaps flapping heroically in the chill breeze. "Sargent Shores, ready t'deploy t'play duty, ma'am Cap'n ma'am!"

Gearstride smiled at him and returned the salute. "At ease Sergent Shores, but yes, we should head off now." She abruptly turned about face, somehow with her sack returned to her as she marched off.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

More recently, Nightfall. Grid. Fallen Alicorns. The Calamity, maybe? For older classics there's White Whale, a Warming Carol, Whimsy and Trap, Glitter Ain't Gold. He shrugged, idly running his hoof along her neck.
    Esmeralda sighed, and laid her head against Lone Star's shoulders, taking another sip from her hot chocolate. "They all sound lovely... Hmm, do you think there's any you think would suit a Hearth's Warming holiday mood?"

"You're welcomed."
    He looked her in the eyes and broadened his smile and then moved in to nuzzle her cheek with his. He then pulled back and nodded his head. "Alright then...how about....we finish our drinks and then you go get your pretty self ready and then we can go out?" He was quite glad he was able to convince her on this....he had a number of things planned and reserved that he wouldn't have gotten refunded for had she decided to not go. His inner Fox Trot sweat dropped in relief. ()
    Icy chuckled, her eyes now twinkling with mirth. "Very well, Fox. Allow me a few minutes to get myself presentable. Hardly fitting for a mare like me to go out like this hm?" she said with a gentle toss of her mane. She sipped her tea, then laid down her half-finished drink and sashayed towards the stairwell leading to her bedroom.

Soon enough, Icy reappeared in her winterwear, a matching set of snow-white parka and hoofshods.

"Oh...we're probably not going to play any big roles...if that's what yer thinking....hahah...that wouldn't make sense, though, I will admit, I would probably play a fantastic Chancellor Puddinghead, and you my Smart Cookie."
    She winked. "You'll probably just be part of small crowd scenes, play a starving earth pony farmer hahah..ahem."

Gearstride smiled at him and returned the salute. "At ease Sergent Shores, but yes, we should head off now." She abruptly turned about face, somehow with her sack returned to her as she marched off.
    "Aha. That sounds more reasonable," Silverpine said, as he trotted off after Gear.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Esmeralda sighed, and laid her head against Lone Star's shoulders, taking another sip from her hot chocolate. "They all sound lovely... Hmm, do you think there's any you think would suit a Hearth's Warming holiday mood?"
    He smiled and petted her mane. Could you hoof me that red one right there? A Warming Carol.* Classic.
    ---
    *A Christmas Carol. In case that wasn't as laughably obvious as I thought it was.

Extended Sig

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

He smiled and petted her mane. Could you hoof me that red one right there? A Warming Carol.* Classic.
    ---
    *A Christmas Carol. In case that wasn't as laughably obvious as I thought it was.
    (I had to do a double take first, so there's that. )

Esmeralda picked out the red book and floated it over to Lone Star, taking a curious look at the cover. "A Warming Carol, eh? Sounds like a song."

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Thank you, I'm certain I'll enjoy it." She tucks the package under her cloak, which in this case gives the illusion of it disappearing. "I'll open it later today when everypony else does; I'm something of a traditionalist that way."

"That actually makes you exactly a traditionalist. And a conformist, unless you were doing it before it was cool."

"Conformity isn't a bad thing - just ask ants."

"You mean the mindless army of hunter/killer scavengers that tend to decimate anything in their path?"

"Yes, exactly."

"Admittedly, that doesn't sound all bad..."

"Will the four of you be exchanging gifts under the tree in the town square later tonight?"
    "Well, it's not like ya should give up the fun traditions! If they were borin', that might be a problem, but I like surprises!" Blades grinned. "Of course I'll be doin' it, if I can get ya to join in."

Truth be told, I don't know much about the Knights. Hey Dawn, are they an Order?"

"I do not think the main collection is, but they could easily sanction one."

"I imagine they cracked down on more than just border intrusions. Was there a lot of resistance to their other policies?"
    "Well, they got more aggressive about preventing crime. They also were more watchful of young ponies. It... wasn't all taken well, but most ponies didn't object." Of course, their competence made more trouble for me, but at least violence went down.

Night Jewel put a hoof to her chin and thought a bit. "What exactly do you mean by 'order', in this case?"

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

(I had to do a double take first, so there's that. )

Esmeralda picked out the red book and floated it over to Lone Star, taking a curious look at the cover. "A Warming Carol, eh? Sounds like a song."
    He opened the book, smiling. A bit, yeah. 's a character piece about an old banker who is a monumental dirtbag.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2013-12-21 at 02:33 AM.

Extended Sig

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, it's not like ya should give up the fun traditions! If they were borin', that might be a problem, but I like surprises!" Blades grinned. "Of course I'll be doin' it, if I can get ya to join in."
    "Eh, sure, why not. We've got this thing planned anyway."

"What thing?"

"We decided an evening fireworks display would be festive."

"Also I really need to blow something up. You can join in too, Boss; didn't we talk about 'works one time?"

"Well, they got more aggressive about preventing crime. They also were more watchful of young ponies. It... wasn't all taken well, but most ponies didn't object." Of course, their competence made more trouble for me, but at least violence went down.

Night Jewel put a hoof to her chin and thought a bit. "What exactly do you mean by 'order', in this case?"
    "In this context, we refer to an order of paladins akin to the Sun Spirit or Fallen Star." Dawnstrider explains.

Silver mulls this over, turning to her husband. "Sun Spirit...there's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Taylor, weren't you...?"

"In an Order?" Taylor shakes his head. "Nah. I thought about it at one point, and they're probably still waiting for me to tell them my official decision, but...well, honestly, if I'm going to help ponies, I'd rather not be bound to a Code. I don't begrudge those who do at all, it's a matter of temperament. I'm just not the type."

An ironic smile plays upon Silver's features briefly. "That sounds familiar..."

Dawnstrider, however, seems more than a little surprised by this news. "You considered this path at one point? You...never mentioned it." He even sounds slightly betrayed.

Taylor shrugs. "I didn't want to steal your thunder. Early on, you seemed so...fulfilled by The Code. Still do. But knowing that I turned it down might have given you doubts simply because it was me, and well, I wanted it to be your choice, not based on my past."

Dawnstrider nods slowly. "I can understand, I think. Your suspicions have merit, given what I know about myself." He glances down and double-takes at seeing Night Jewel still present. A small blush creeps up his face, past the tinge already present due to the chill. "But I think our choice of topic has turned to the exclusionary. Night Jewel, you expressed interest in Paladinhood previously, correct? I do not believe we have had the opportunity to speak in-depth about the subject."
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Icy chuckled, her eyes now twinkling with mirth. "Very well, Fox. Allow me a few minutes to get myself presentable. Hardly fitting for a mare like me to go out like this hm?" she said with a gentle toss of her mane. She sipped her tea, then laid down her half-finished drink and sashayed towards the stairwell leading to her bedroom.

Soon enough, Icy reappeared in her winterwear, a matching set of snow-white parka and hoofshods.
    Fox had finished his cocoa by the time Icy returned. His gaze fell upon her, his smile broadening. "You look so beautiful and elegant. Oh my ice queen...how I am not worthy of your presence that I ask you make an exception this one time." He said hammily and playfully bowed.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

[Clouds Over Bridle Shores]

Prose smiles cheekily at the bar invitation. "Yeah sure I'll tag along. Sounds like fun, and I'm curious to see what coffees they have."

When he's addressed by Blueshield, the batpony flashes a crooked, fang-revealing grin, a mischievous glint in his amber, snake-iris eye. "Behave properly? Madame, you clearly know nothing about me. Why, I-"

He slumps back a bit, hanging lazily in the air. "Am a lazy son of a mule," he smirks nonchalantly. "Seriously, I'm not one for causing trouble. Anyone who says otherwise is either an idiot, or one of those frumpy nobles from Canterlot who didn't like me too much," he says, narrowing his eye as his voice takes on a slightly bitter tone, despite his continued smirking.

The batpony then hovers over to plop down on a cloud near Blueshield. "Anyway, yeah sure, I'll tag along for the watch. Where all do you have left to lookie-loo at?"

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

He opened the book, smiling. A bit, yeah. 's a character piece about an old banker who is a monumental dirtbag.
    (Cue montage? )

And thus a saccharine montage of Lone Star and Es ensued, the ice mare oooohs and aaaahs at the appropriate moments of the story as they read it together. Somehow, Esmeralda managed to inch closer and cuddle Lone Star tightly as the day dragged on.

Fox had finished his cocoa by the time Icy returned. His gaze fell upon her, his smile broadening. "You look so beautiful and elegant. Oh my ice queen...how I am not worthy of your presence that I ask you make an exception this one time." He said hammily and playfully bowed.
    Icy giggled, holding a hoof to her lips in mock contemplation. "Well. This queen might allow you a brief stay in order to gaze upon her beauty so that you may appreciate it better."

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Sandy marched in step behind her, chatting excitedly with Silverpine over their play prospects.

(Hmm. Should we skip ahead to them in costume, or some other point?)

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

(Cue montage? )

And thus a saccharine montage of Lone Star and Es ensued, the ice mare oooohs and aaaahs at the appropriate moments of the story as they read it together. Somehow, Esmeralda managed to inch closer and cuddle Lone Star tightly as the day dragged on.
    "-and Luna blessus everyone." Lone Star finished, shutting the book and returning the cuddles, patting her flank. Well? He kissed her neck.

Extended Sig

26. - Top - End - #86
    Firbolg in the Playground

Streets

With Tyrol and Lemongrass running around town, they may run into Staccata. Walking around amidst everypony else being happy in the cold hasn't done much to lighten her mood. She's so visibly grump that one of the bands in town that provide backup music in case a song breaks out (this time of year is big on that sort of thing) is following her around waiting for some long monologue/song to happen.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

Prose smiles cheekily at the bar invitation. "Yeah sure I'll tag along. Sounds like fun, and I'm curious to see what coffees they have."

When he's addressed by Blueshield, the batpony flashes a crooked, fang-revealing grin, a mischievous glint in his amber, snake-iris eye. "Behave properly? Madame, you clearly know nothing about me. Why, I-"

He slumps back a bit, hanging lazily in the air. "Am a lazy son of a mule," he smirks nonchalantly. "Seriously, I'm not one for causing trouble. Anyone who says otherwise is either an idiot, or one of those frumpy nobles from Canterlot who didn't like me too much," he says, narrowing his eye as his voice takes on a slightly bitter tone, despite his continued smirking.

The batpony then hovers over to plop down on a cloud near Blueshield. "Anyway, yeah sure, I'll tag along for the watch. Where all do you have left to lookie-loo at?"
    "It does not seem significantly probable to me that you are the offspring of a generally-sterile hybrid creature, nor do I suspect that any such creatures would be pleased to hear such usage of them in a metaphorical statement. However, I do comprehend that you do not intend to be actively troublesome. The only issue to avoid of accidental, passive misconduct."

Blueshield seemed unamused by the overly informal inquiry as to her current activity. In addition, her way of talking seemed to be infecting the narration. "I have only begun my observations. I intend to examine the entirety of the region. No potential hazards shall escape my gaze."

"Eh, sure, why not. We've got this thing planned anyway."

"What thing?"

"We decided an evening fireworks display would be festive."

"Also I really need to blow something up. You can join in too, Boss; didn't we talk about 'works one time?"
    Blades laughed. "Brilliant! Now that's something worth seein'! Get a lil' action in the celebrations! I reckon Flare'd like that, too - she seems like a showy type."

[Meanwhile]

"Ciona has noticed... something interesting."

"Oui? What ees eet, my lady?"

"The mortals are acting unusual. She does not know what they are doing. They are doing... something with lights and other decorations."

"Oh! My lady, zey are seemply doing ze Hearz Warming Eve celebrations."

"She is most interested! Perhaps Precious could investigate for her? She will watch through her and see how they are."

"As you weesh, my lady. I weel geet ready immediately."

[Wait, No, Wrong Scene. Let's Try This Again]

Flare roamed about the town, looking for an adequate gift for the ponies she had been lodging with.

"Candy? But they have enough already. Gemstones? But they are already have as much wealth as they need. A large castle near the town? No, the guards would object... What could I get for them?"

"In this context, we refer to an order of paladins akin to the Sun Spirit or Fallen Star." Dawnstrider explains.
    "Oh! Well, not exactly. While their cause is similar, they don't use paladin magic or anything. They're more like glorified law enforcement in some ways."

Silver mulls this over, turning to her husband. "Sun Spirit...there's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Taylor, weren't you...?"

"In an Order?" Taylor shakes his head. "Nah. I thought about it at one point, and they're probably still waiting for me to tell them my official decision, but...well, honestly, if I'm going to help ponies, I'd rather not be bound to a Code. I don't begrudge those who do at all, it's a matter of temperament. I'm just not the type."

An ironic smile plays upon Silver's features briefly. "That sounds familiar..."

Dawnstrider, however, seems more than a little surprised by this news. "You considered this path at one point? You...never mentioned it." He even sounds slightly betrayed.

Taylor shrugs. "I didn't want to steal your thunder. Early on, you seemed so...fulfilled by The Code. Still do. But knowing that I turned it down might have given you doubts simply because it was me, and well, I wanted it to be your choice, not based on my past."

Dawnstrider nods slowly. "I can understand, I think. Your suspicions have merit, given what I know about myself." He glances down and double-takes at seeing Night Jewel still present. A small blush creeps up his face, past the tinge already present due to the chill. "But I think our choice of topic has turned to the exclusionary. Night Jewel, you expressed interest in Paladinhood previously, correct? I do not believe we have had the opportunity to speak in-depth about the subject."
    "Oh, that." Night Jewel began to get concerned again. "I wasn't entirely sure about that..."

Oh, Dark Mother, how am I going to do this? I can't very well tell them why I'm not up to it and expect to get off easily.

"...I don't know if I can devote myself to a code like that. There's so much I want to do, and I'm a little worried that a paladin's duties would interfere with it."

Good enough for now. I just hope he doesn't press further.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

[Clouds Over Bridle Shores]

"It does not seem significantly probable to me that you are the offspring of a generally-sterile hybrid creature, nor do I suspect that any such creatures would be pleased to hear such usage of them in a metaphorical statement. However, I do comprehend that you do not intend to be actively troublesome. The only issue to avoid of accidental, passive misconduct."

Blueshield seemed unamused by the overly informal inquiry as to her current activity. In addition, her way of talking seemed to be infecting the narration. "I have only begun my observations. I intend to examine the entirety of the region. No potential hazards shall escape my gaze."
    Snowstorm glances up at the cloud cover above them, already, it seems, making an attempt to determine how best to abet their task. "Are you going for a bird's-eye view or something closer to the ground?"

Blades laughed. "Brilliant! Now that's something worth seein'! Get a lil' action in the celebrations! I reckon Flare'd like that, too - she seems like a showy type."
    Starbeam taps her chin with a hoof. "Hmm. I hadn't thought of that. But there are plenty of mineral combinations that can be, mm, shall we say volatile when put together the right way. I'm sure we can figure out a display from all of that."

Stellar inhales deeply and sighs. "I can smell the sulfur already."

"Oh! Well, not exactly. While their cause is similar, they don't use paladin magic or anything. They're more like glorified law enforcement in some ways."
    Silver furrows her eyebrows. She appears...worried? "Glorified? How so?"

Taylor, of course, has different lines of query based purely in the realm of curiosity. "Would you say they're held to the same general standard?"

"Oh, that." Night Jewel began to get concerned again. "I wasn't entirely sure about that..."

Oh, Dark Mother, how am I going to do this? I can't very well tell them why I'm not up to it and expect to get off easily.

"...I don't know if I can devote myself to a code like that. There's so much I want to do, and I'm a little worried that a paladin's duties would interfere with it."

Good enough for now. I just hope he doesn't press further.
    Dawnstrider nods. "I am impressed by your display of wisdom. It is a matter that requires no small amount of deliberation."

Taylor waves a hoof airily. "Not to mention that you have years and years to decide whether that's what you want to do with your life or not."

"Regardless of whether you feel it is your chosen path, feel free to inquire with the intent of forming an understanding, if you so desire." He seems a little like somepony fishing. Much like a scholar giving a lecture on their own book, it looks like he wants to sate a curiosity in somepony else, as opposed to getting to an actual point.

Taylor murmurs assent. "Mm. Ironically, for a system that's based on black and white morality, they're not as cut and dry as one might think." His comment is matter-of-fact, a bit of data passed off-hoofedly down a generation.

Silver gives Dawnstrider an aside glance and smiles. "Also, it gives Dawn a chance to express his undying love for Sword Saint."

"Mmph. I prefer 'healthy respect'." Would that be the cold weather again, or another blush?
    Last edited by Kelvin360; 2013-12-22 at 04:37 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

[Clouds Above Bridle Shores]

Prose pulls another scroll of parchment and a writing quill out of his hoodie, and starts to scribble on the paper as he idle hovers along after Blueshield, lazily flapping his wings to propel his cloud forward and keep up with her. "Uh huh. I admire you dedication to duty and professionalism. But I gotta wonder, how often do you go on these patrols?" he casually inquires. "Do you always do your rounds on a regular basis, at around the same times, to keep a 'proper' pattern?"

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Streets

With Tyrol and Lemongrass running around town, they may run into Staccata. Walking around amidst everypony else being happy in the cold hasn't done much to lighten her mood. She's so visibly grump that one of the bands in town that provide backup music in case a song breaks out (this time of year is big on that sort of thing) is following her around waiting for some long monologue/song to happen.
    They did eventually run into her. Sort of. Well, more like Lemongrass did. Literally. The two somehow managed to butt heads into each other, sending the pegasus reeling back. "Owowowowow!"

Tyrol quickly stepped in to apologise. "Very sorry Miss... Staccata? Why are you here?" he said, blinking.

"-and Luna blessus everyone." Lone Star finished, shutting the book and returning the cuddles, patting her flank. Well? He kissed her neck.
    Esmeralda looked thoughtful for a moment. "... I just found it curious the banker thought hoarding money was so fun. I mean, how does one leave their life alone like that? Oh, and something, something about spirits from the past, present and future. That was novel." Well, at least she didn't miss the message entirely?

Sandy marched in step behind her, chatting excitedly with Silverpine over their play prospects.

(Hmm. Should we skip ahead to them in costume, or some other point?)
    (I'm a little too tired to decide, so I'll leave it to you two to set the scene. )