New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Warhammer 40k Fluff Thread VIII: "Khorne's Most Favourite Thread EVER"

Lion - WIA (Luther)
    Khan - MIA (Warp)
    Russ - MIA (Eye of Terror)
    Dorn - MIA presumed KIA (Night Lords)
    Sanguinius - KIA (Horus)
    Ferrus Manus - KIA (Fulgrim)
    Guillliman - WIA (Alpharius)
    Vulkan - MIA (???)
    Corax - MIA (Eye of Terror)

Fulgrim - Prince
    Peturabo - Prince
    Curze - KIA (M'Shen)
    Angron - Prince
    Mortarion - Prince
    Magnus - Prince
    Horus - KIA (Emperor)
    Lorgar - Prince
    Alpharius/Omegon - One KIA (Guilliman), the other MIA. Except which is which?

II and XI; One is 'lost' (whatever that means), the other is dead, presumably by Russ.

Dorn; If he's MIA, then he's missing his left hand (the Chapter badge of the IFs, what a coincidence). He's presumed KIA, but, by virtue of dramas everywhere, if you can't find the body, then he must be alive.

Trazyn the Infinite has 'a giant of a man clad in baroque Power Armour, his face contorted in a permanent scream'. Rumour has it that it's either Khan or Vulkan, leaning towards Vulkan, given revelations in Vulkan Lives, and the fact that Vulkan was looking for artefacts, and Trazyn has artefacts.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2014-01-28 at 01:45 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

2. - Top - End - #182
    Banned

Default Re: Warhammer 40k Fluff Thread VIII: "Khorne's Most Favourite Thread EVER"

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Lion - WIA (Luther)
    Khan - MIA (Warp)
    Russ - MIA (Eye of Terror)
    Dorn - MIA presumed KIA (Night Lords)
    Sanguinius - KIA (Horus)
    Ferrus Manus - KIA (Fulgrim)
    Vulkan - MIA (???)
    Corax - MIA (Eye of Terror)

Fulgrim - Prince
    Peturabo - Prince
    Curze - KIA (M'Shen)
    Angron - Prince
    Mortarion - Prince
    Magnus - Prince
    Horus - KIA (Emperor)
    Lorgar - Prince

II and XI; One is 'lost' (whatever that means), the other is dead, presumably by Russ.

Dorn; If he's MIA, then he's missing his left hand (the Chapter badge of the IFs, what a coincidence). He's presumed KIA, but, by virtue of dramas everywhere, if you can't find the body, then he must be alive.

Trazyn the Infinite has 'a giant of a man clad in baroque Power Armour, his face contorted in a permanent scream'. Rumour has it that it's either Khan or Vulkan, leaning towards Vulkan, given revelations in Vulkan Lives, and the fact that Vulkan was looking for artefacts, and Trazyn has artefacts.
    Vulkan?

Spoiler
    Show
    Didnt he die, like, really dead, at the end of Unremembered Empire?.

Also, is there any more information anywhere about the Lion's magical teleporting sentient machine? And what about that machine that could heal Marines even when in stasis? I forget which novel it was from >_<.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    Vulkan?

Spoiler
    Show
    Didnt he die, like, really dead, at the end of Unremembered Empire?.
    You'd think so. But it's not going to stick. It can't stick because we know Vulkan shows up again, later. Dorn even laments the fact in the end that his surviving brothers - Corax, Vulkan and Russ - left their Chapters behind, and, more importantly, left Dorn behind.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Wraith units have nothing on Dreadnoughts!
    Elegance of design?
    The ability to tear the arms of a regular Dreadnought and then club it over the head with it, in the case of Lords and Knights?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Guilliman was taken out by Fulgrim, wasn't he ?
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

yes, it was the slanash guy who took Gulliman down.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Colossus in the Playground

Khan - MIA (Warp)
    Shouldn't that be (Webway) since he was heading to Commoragh to take on the Dark Eldar?
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

8. - Top - End - #188
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Alpharius is, from all given sources, dead.

His brother Omegron, however, is alive and well.... Somewhere. Although given the nature of the Alpha Legion, it may not matter all that much...
    I haven't actually read the book, but according to lexicanum, "It should be noted, however, that Alpharius's death is still considered suspect even by the Ultramarines, and he may still be at large."

I'm counting Alpha as alive.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Eldar are supposed to be absurdly, inhumanly agile, but other than that, yes. An individual Eldar isn't usually physically imposing barehanded, it's their psychic prowess and super-tech that makes them dangerous. Also, tons of experience - they're not immortal, but pretty darn close to it, and even after they die their expertise can still be tapped/consulting via Aspect Armor and Spirit Stones.
    Well, the thing is though space marines are also incredibly agile and have thousands of years of experience, and it seems like bolters are as effective/more effective than shuriken weapons. In Brothers of the Snake, a large Dark Eldar incursion gets routed by one marine. In Know No Fear, they mention a single marine standing against twelve Eldar- they admit it's an impressive fight, but still, 12v1...
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    yes, it was the slanash guy who took Gulliman down.
    Ha two Primarch kills ! And they say Slaanesh worshipers are just degenerates (of course they are that as well)
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

10. - Top - End - #190
    Barbarian in the Playground

I have heard it theorised that instead Alpharius was wounded by Guilliman, who was then killed by Omegon. Alpharius was then disguised as Guilliman, and shipped back to the Ultramarines to super-infiltrate. Unfortunately the Ultras were unable to heal him, so he ended up in the stasis field. No idea how plausible this is though, I just like the idea that the Ultras are worshipping the body of their mortal foe. Does any book detail the battle? Were there any witnesses?
    Last edited by Voidhawk; 2014-01-28 at 11:22 AM.
    Looking back on sanity from the other side, and laughing really loudly

"In the whole of oWOD, there are only five normal people not somehow tied to the great supernatural conspiracy, and three of them were Elvis."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    If Ravenloft has taught me anything, darkness only makes the stars shine brighter.
    Bowl of Petunias avatar by Rincewind

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Voidhawk View Post
    I have heard it theorised that instead Alpharius was wounded by Guilliman, who was then killed by Omegon. Alpharius was then disguised as Guilliman, and shipped back to the Ultramarines to super-infiltrate. Unfortunately the Ultras were unable to heal him, so he ended up in the stasis field. No idea how plausible this is though, I just like the idea that the Ultras are worshipping the body of their mortal foe. Does any book detail the battle? Were there any witnesses?
    But as Alpharius (and Omegon) are considerably smaller than their brother Primarchs that is going to have to be one hell of a disguise

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    But as Alpharius (and Omegon) are considerably smaller than their brother Primarchs that is going to have to be one hell of a disguise
    Sounds like a job for Alpha Legion
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

And it doesnt hold water because there were apperently quite a few witnesses to Fulgrim smacking Guilliman down.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Guilliman was taken out by Fulgrim, wasn't he ?
    Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Shouldn't that be (Webway) since he was heading to Commoragh to take on the Dark Eldar?
    It should be, but it isn't. Khan gets sucked into the Warp fighting Dark Eldar. Much to the nerdrage of everyone.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

But which are people's favourite Primarch's ?
    While I've always liked Russ the more I read about Lorgar (or at least the more I read written by ADB) the more I like him.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Actualy.. i have almost always disliked most of the primachs.. Russ especially..
    The one exception to this being Sanguinius, him i rather liked.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

But which are people's favourite Primarchs?
    I like Dorn. He's a morally conflicted 'Paladin'. When he tells Sigismund in Crimson Fist, "You're not my son anymore." That whole passage. Brutal. Unfortunately, he doesn't really do a whole lot until after the Heresy, so there's not too much about him, in regards to the rest of the Primarchs.

I like Curze, and his steady degradation into becoming Night Haunter. In Unremembered Empire, he's finally lost it, and that sucks. But that's also the point.

Vulkan, likewise in Unremembered Empire has a massive character derailment for no reason. Supposedly he has PTSD from the events in Vulkan Lives, but, nothing in VL indicates that Vulkan couldn't handle it. So...WTF?

I hated Lorgar at first - and, I believe that you're supposed to - but, now I really like him. Betrayer is awesome.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

18. - Top - End - #198
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Alpharius is pretty cool. Or maybe Omegon. I'm not sure.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Banned

I think it was already halfway set in due to his constant talking to the ghost of Ferrus, and then droping through the atmosphere probably sealed the deal. I just figured Vulkan Lives was from the perspective of his inner thoughts, and he was externally just a raging rabid beast.

As for favorite Primarchs, Perturabo was written rather nicely in Angel Exterminatus. Fleshed him out quite well.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Barbarian in the Playground

I love Alphamegon. One soul, two bodies. The youngest of the bunch with a whole lot to prove. Not afraid to try unconventional things to see if they work. A scholar and comsumately open-minded (he met xenos and then didn't immediately kill all of them) and unlike most of his brothers seems a decent human being.

My personal theory is that Gulliman killed a decoy. Layers in layers, masks behind masks. Smoke, mirrors and light jazz. It would have been the Alpha's ultimate victory over the Ultra's, fooling their primarch.
    Alpharius then retired to a quiet world and spent the last ten-thousand years punching John Grammaticus in the face.

21. - Top - End - #201

Griffon

But which are people's favourite Primarch's ?
    I like Magnus the Red. Reading A Thousand Sons really surprised and entertained me in that there were Primarchs who joined the Traitors but NOT Chaos itself, it gave the Heresy a whole new dimension and built solid foundations for the later Imperium's xenophonic, unforgiving nature (Alpharius/Omegron also, to a lesser extent).
    That he's actually quite a good guy - just a very proud one - makes a strangely appealing story where you find yourself supporting the 'villain' against the murderous, closed-minded psychopath, Russ.

Outside of the Heresy novels, I always like Ferrus Mannus - it's a shame that he gets trashed in under half a book and is barely mentioned again, I'd like to know more.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

As an unashamed Thousand Sons fanboy, Magnus is going to top my list, despite the hatchet job done on him (and his entire legion) in Thousand Sons (the book).

Lorgar is a pretty interesting character and is getting better the more is written about him, but also seems to be becoming a bit Mary Sue.

I would love to hear more about Curze detailing his formative years on Nostromo. Unremembered empire was nice and all, but would like more backstory rather than trying to tie the entire universe together.

Am currently re-reading false gods again, and it made me realise that there's not much about Horus: The Early Years.

I'm one of the few who actually likes the Ultras, so more about papa smurf was welcome, though again, it shows up distinct difference in writing when one primarch is all "Teh oh noes, a couple of dudes with bolters!" and another one caber tosses a titan.

I want my Primarchs to be as to astartes as astartes are to you and me, making the impossible possible and kicking reason to the curb and just generally being awesome. Some humanising is great, it gives them a different side, a point of contrast to their all conquering, all awesome all the time side, but some of the novels have gone too far for my tastes.

23. - Top - End - #203

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Drasius View Post
    I'm one of the few who actually likes the Ultras, so more about papa smurf was welcome, though again, it shows up distinct difference in writing when one primarch is all "Teh oh noes, a couple of dudes with bolters!" and another one caber tosses a titan.

I want my Primarchs to be as to astartes as astartes are to you and me, making the impossible possible and kicking reason to the curb and just generally being awesome. Some humanising is great, it gives them a different side, a point of contrast to their all conquering, all awesome all the time side, but some of the novels have gone too far for my tastes.
    Sounds like you wouldn't enjoy Descent of Angels. (I know I didn't...)

Spoiler
    Show
    Fulgrim takes down two of his Primarch brothers.
    Sanguinious snaps a Bloodthirster over his knee.
    Magnus the Red - despite being known as the Sorcerer Supreme - fistfights Leman Russ to a standstill while he has half a mind on teleporting 1,000 of his Astartes across the galaxy and into the warp.

Lion el'Johnson.... kills a Chaos Spawn. A feat later also achieved by a 15 year old mortal boy with a bolt pistol.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2014-02-01 at 01:43 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Lorgar is a pretty interesting character and is getting better the more is written about him, but also seems to be becoming a bit Mary Sue
    I know your complaint. But, that's the point. Both from a writing standpoint and from a story standpoint. Lorgar goes from whiny kid-brother, to Master Manipulator. Him becoming a Mary Sue is part of his story. Second, he is the arch-villain of the story - even if Horus does get most of the credit. To make him a credible threat, he actually does need to be kind of unbeatable.

Reality itself conspires to keep Lorgar alive. From Deus ex Konrad to Angron 'Altas-ing' a Titan foot. Butcher's Nails says Lorgar is 'outside of Fate' and can pretty much do whatever he wants.

I would love to hear more about Curze detailing his formative years on Nostromo. Unremembered empire was nice and all, but would like more backstory rather than trying to tie the entire universe together.
    Eh. It's not that important. Take Corax's backstory from Deliverance Lost, and add more murder.
    Curze's backstory comes out in a few places. But never really as a whole. Dark King has a few bits.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2014-02-01 at 05:02 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Eh. It's not that important. Take Corax's backstory from Deliverance Lost, and add more murder.
    Curze's backstory comes out in a few places. But never really as a whole. Dark King has a few bits.
    That's kinda what I mean, be nice for it to be wrapped up a bit more, differentiate him a little (but not too much, gotta keep some of the evil-opposite-there-but-for-the-grace-of-the-Emperor-go-I-theme going) from the ravenlord.

Sounds like you wouldn't enjoy Descent of Angels. (I know I didn't...)
    Yep, for one of the alledged mightiest beings in the universe, the lion is sure off to a slow start with that one.

Off to pick up Scars today, hopefully that's be decent as I have literally no idea about the backstory of the scars other than they're mongols on bikes... in SPACE! Unless it's by ADB, I've got a feeling I'm going to be dissapointed though.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

differentiate him a little (but not too much, gotta keep some of the evil-opposite-there-but-for-the-grace-of-the-Emperor-go-I-theme going) from the ravenlord.
    Uhh...Konrad is the 'evil opposite' of Dorn. Not Corax.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2014-02-01 at 06:05 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

So does Corax have an evil opposite ?

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So does Corax have an evil opposite ?
    Alpharius. Or perhaps Alpharius. Otherwise, Alpharius, maybe.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

And funny enough thats one of the main reasons for why i despise most primachs.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Uhh...Konrad is the 'evil opposite' of Dorn. Not Corax.
    I think there was a passage in one of Corax's books that tried to play up the "Kurze = Corax if he goes evil", but I'm not 100% sure.

In that case, see if you can track down a copy of Shadows of Treachery and read The Prince of Crows that lies within. It's 90% about the Night Lords 1st Captain, Jago Sevatarion, but it also contains a passage detailing how Kurze went about purging Nostramo, then becoming its ruler (and, most importantly, how Nostramo turned out under Kurze's rule and Kurze's own reaction to it. Pro tip: it sheds a great deal of light on his character).