Page 1 of 48 123456789101126 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 1440
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground
     
    maggie_mcknife's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    GM post

    Day 22: Lamashan 13, 4707

    It's been a whole three weeks since the goblin attack during the Swallowtail Festival. After Cipriano's funeral and the departure of the Magnimarian guards five days ago, life in Sandpoint has regained something of its normal rhythm and pace. The watchmen on duty at the gates smile a little more readily at weary travelers seeking entry. Daviren Hosk has taken down the notice on his stable door for a bounty on goblin ears. Hannah Velerin is less twitchy and the dour Sabyl Sorn has taken to bestowing upon you a rare smile every time you pass her place. Parents are allowing their children back out to play now. With Mandraiv taking over his departed uncle's business with a surprising and relentless energy, even the familiar low rumble of the Glassworks furnaces at dawn and the wagon-loads of scintillating mosaics and gleaming windowpanes at dusk have resumed.

    With the horrors at Thistletop behind you, some of you might be thinking of setting out on the road. Others might be wondering whether settling down in Sandpoint for now might be a good idea - the town, its troubling past aside, is a welcoming and friendly enough place. Either way, all five of you had decided to meet at the Rusty Dragon tonight for some drinks - to remember Cipriano on the fourteenth day of his passing, as per the old Varisian tradition, and perhaps to talk about the future and where your paths would take you now.

    The night is peaceful enough as most of you pick Rico up from her duties at the Garrison and stroll down Main Street. The brisk autumn wind is refreshing after the lingering heat of the day, and the prospect of a cold drink and some fresh bread at Ameiko's tavern is a cheering one. There hasn't been any trouble at all since Thistletop. Sure, the goblins tried to riot once, and there was the unpleasant discovery of some local swindlers turning up dead in a barn after a deal likely went sour, but all things considered for a growing industrial town, things were going pretty damn fine.

    Which is probably why you are probably puzzled - stunned even - at the sudden cry of "STOP, thief!", followed by several loud thumps before a frazzled-looking Setsuna tumbles unceremoniously through the basement door of the Vinder General Store, clutching frantically at the loosened straps of her hakama to preserve her modesty. Behind her, the imposing bulk of Ven Vinder squeezes through the door, growling as he shakes a large leg of ham in the tiefling's direction. "Take my daughter, wod'ya? See if I don't take yer head off first!" He thunders as he stomps forward, more for the benefit of the local crowd that is quickly gathering, drawn by the noise and prospect of some juicy gossip to trade later.

    *****

    Setsuna

    You were just strolling down Main Street a couple of days ago and had just passed the General Store when you suddenly remembered Shayliss and the rat problem in the Vinder General Store basement. Seeing the aforementioned young lady trudge grouchily out of the store with a large sack of corn meal over her shoulder at that very instant, you thought nothing of inquiring after her health and gallantly offering to assist with the rat problem if it was still extant.

    Shayliss had showered you with a few curses at first, sure that you were simply making fun of her in the same way Rico had several days earlier. But you'd persisted and eventually, the shopkeep's second daughter had assented for you to accompany her into the basement. ("But no sword swingin'! Dad'll chew me up if he hears aught of slashed merchandise!")

    As it turned out, there were indeed rats in the Vinder basement. Quite a lot of them, fat with the excellent Vinder produce and grain. Armed with heavy oaken clubs, you and Shayliss did the best you could and for your pains and bruises (not to mention rat bites), managed to clear the varmints out of the basement and present the delighted Mrs Vinder with several bludgeoned rat corpses.

    So of course, you'd suspected nothing when a flushed Shayliss had hurried up to you earlier this evening, claiming that the rats had rallied and made a come back. You'd gone with her quite willingly into the basement and were looking about in the darkness for rats and were about to mention that you couldn't find any, when you'd heard the rustling of cloth and turned around, only to behold Shayliss with her bodice off and the straps of her dress around her shoulders, a knowing look in her eye as she reaches for your hands and presses them to her bosom.

    You'd never been propositioned before, so you weren't exactly sure what to do. It took a few good minutes before you finally came to your senses and realised that no, fumbling about on dusty grain sacks in someone's basement was not how you wished your first time to go. So you'd tried to turn the lusty Shayliss down while politely trying your best to prevent her from shucking your pants off, only to have the basement door suddenly thrown open and the looming shadow of her father, Ven Vinder, fill the door frame. Convinced upon sight that you were trying to have your way with his daughter (rather than the other way around), Ven had bellowed and snatched up several items of choice food and hurled them at your head. By the time he manages to grasp the leg of ham, you've managed to dodge past him and make it to the door - only to find that the altercation has attracted rather more attention than you'd have guessed...
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2013-12-22 at 02:16 PM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC and OOC and Dice

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death
    Asher Darshani, paladin of Sarenrae who needs a vacation
    Raine Veloce, brawler who drinks too much coffee

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ProudGrognard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Sirus

    Sirus has been enjoying his strong tea and he just destroyed a large meal of bread, meat, fruit and cheese, as was his habit. The last few days have been relaxing, giving him time to think. He knew that his road was to continue. But where? And how?

    But this day has not promised to be one of ...excitement. Of course, he had seemed to forget the effect of having Setsuna as one's companion could do.

    Pushing his way up, he strides casually, his hands folded in front of him, towards the hulking Ven. It is obvious that he has no hostile intentions, but that he is going to interpose. It is perhaps a sign of his relaxation that he is willing to address the situation.


    Master Ven. There must. Have been. A misunderstanding. Please. Join us. As. Our guest. Or have a pint. At our expense. Everything. Will be. Addressed.


    He gives a sidewise glance at Setsuna, as if to say "It will, will it not?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Sense motive to see the mood of the man, if he is prone to become violent. (1d20+9)[18]

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Desril's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Setsuna

    Flustered to the point where words are not properly going from her brain to her mouth, Setsuna can only continue correcting her hakama's himo and attempt to push her way through the crowd that was forming. Too distracted by the all too recent sight of Shayliss, how direct she was, and her current state of dress, the young Minkan maiden fails miserably in assessing the best route of fleeing the scene and instead opts to try and squeeze her way past the growing crowd.

    Unfocused as she is, with her hands fumbling at straps with significantly less grace than she's had with any task since getting feeling back in her hand, her efforts are rewarded with little success. If that's what she was thinking then why did she take me down there? I have a perfectly fit room in the-NO, I mean, why couldn't she have at least talked to me about it, or asked, I don't even know she liked me! I barely even know her. Oh gods, I need to get out of here.

    Unfortunately, at least from Setsuna's perspective, it seems that everyone in Sandpoint can smell gossip 5 minutes in advance and has already positioned themselves in such a way that the tiefling can't extricate herself from being the center of attention, a fact that only causes her blush to deepen as she continues to push her way past the assembled group to no avail as the enraged father continues to hurl insults to which she lacks the presence of mind to correct.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Strength check already rolled, assume a [6] is a miserable failure.
    Eruvia Avatar by Oneris

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Brin

    Ye gods, it's too early for man or beast to be about! Back, back you mellifluous harpy! Is what Brin very much wanted to scream at the Rusty Dragon's young publican when she roused her from her room at sunset, but she managed to choke it back to a muttered "I'm awake" and a pathetic groan.

    Those who spent the whole day passed out in room they hadn't yet paid for didn't really have the right to complain about a wake up call, after all.

    Besides, it was good for a body to start the day with a solid breakfast. Even if it was almost night time. Fried squash, a healthy trencher of stew, and a frothy flagon of hair of the dog. Brin's booze-gummed tongue couldn't taste it properly, but at least the greasy meal eased the ache in her head.

    And the entrainment was second to none. The Dragon had a reputation, but even so, Brin was surprised to hear about the strange commotion that had broken out on the street. She shoved her way outside in time to see the initial rumors proven true by a disheveled tiefling flouncing past with and an irate greengrocer her heels. Brin had seen plenty in her travels, but a beating delivered with cured meat would be a first. She licked her lips in anticipation of the delicious battle to come. She could almost taste the sweet, intoxicating ambrosia of...

    Wait.

    'Delicious?' 'Sweet' 'intoxicating ambrosia'? Knock me down the infinite stairway, that's a Varisian rum ham!
    That settled things. Brin couldn't let the very pinnacle of the charcuterie arts be employed as a common bludgeon. Something had to be done. Someone must prevent this atrocity.

    Brin pushes her way through the crowd, desperate to deliver a spell of sanctuary to the tiefling before her hard head injures the ham.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Cast sanctuary on Setsuna, DC 15 Will save to attack the target

    (1d20+2)[10] acrobatics roll to slip through the crowd
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2013-12-21 at 07:07 AM.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground
     
    maggie_mcknife's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    GM post

    Sirus's Sense Motive check

    Spoiler
    Show
    Despite the slight theatricality of his actions and threats, Ven does seem to be genuinely incensed. He certainly displayed a foul enough temper the first time you met him, in the middle of a family argument over whom his elder daughter was dating. If he means to bash Setsuna over the head with a ham, he'd probably do it without regrets.


    *****

    Brin

    It takes some jostling to get to where the crowd is thickest and you nearly get elbowed in the chest. But you manage to get close enough to the beleaguered tiefling to reach past someone's corseted waist and brush your fingertips against her arm - just enough contact for the spell to take hold.

    *****

    "Addressed? A dress's precisely what yer buddy yonder was taking off my girl! You can't buy honour with a pint!" Ven's eyes bulge in their sockets, giving him an uncanny resemblance to a cross-eyed bulldog as he snarls and advances towards Sirus, hefting the large ham in his massive hands. "Just going down to get supplies for Master Drokker and whadda I see? Some devil-blood trying to rut on my little princess, s'what! I'm telling yer, nobody treats my princess bad and gets away with it!"

    The little princess in question, one might note, is nowhere to be seen. Clearly, she isn't interested in preventing her father from bashing in Setsuna's skull with a cured leg of pork.

    Perception DC 15
    Spoiler
    Show
    Over the chatter of the crowd, you catch a couple of guffaws at Ven's rant and someone muttering gleefully: "Pay up now. Told you it's matter o' time 'fore Shay tried to bed one of the out-of-towners"


    *****

    Red

    Tensing for a fight the instant she hears Ven's shout, Red is dumbfounded to find that the 'thief' is none other than Setsuna, frowning to herself as the crowd forms around them. That wasn't right. Setsuna wouldn't steal something. And why was Setsuna trying to run and do up her pants at the same time? Unless she'd been...

    No, that wasn't right either. Setsuna hadn't been able to look at those naked lady pictures Tsuto had drawn without blushing to the tips of her ears. She wouldn't have. Would she?

    Taking advantage of Sirus's attempt to pacify Ven, Red hurries over to where Setsuna is and gently takes hold of the tiefling's shoulders. "Shh. I... got you. It is... all right. Dress first." Using her body as a shield the best she can, Red tries to block Setsuna from Ven's view long enough to give her time to finishing tying her sash. "Setsuna. What happened? Did you really...?" Red tries not to let her voice betray her worry. Ven was a very important man in Sandpoint. He owned the general store. Also, people liked Ven, even though he had a bad temper. If he was angry with Setsuna, that wasn't good.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC and OOC and Dice

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death
    Asher Darshani, paladin of Sarenrae who needs a vacation
    Raine Veloce, brawler who drinks too much coffee

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Desril's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Setsuna

    The combination of the newcomer's divine touch and Red and Sirus' words is enough to give Setsuna the presence of mind to stop struggling against the crowd and listen to Red's advice. Finishing setting the himo, the tiefling shakes her head at the rogue's question, replying in a whisper "I am not sure. I thought I was going to help with a rat problem, but maybe I need to work on my Taldane..."

    Still embarrassed and confused, Setsuna tries and fails to meet Ven's enraged gaze after getting her hakama straightened out, missing the amused mutterings of the crowd as she does. That is not how a princess should act! Though I suppose this isn't either...

    Starting to come to her senses, she agrees with Sirus in moving this conversation to a more private location, but rather than suggest that, she instead starts trying to mollify him, rather ineptly due to still not quite being able to respond to the furious father properly. "It was not what it seemed, I was trying to help her."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Passing on the Perception check.
    Eruvia Avatar by Oneris

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    bcool999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Taladron

    Just finishing up the last bit of the scroll he was working on Taladron stowed his eternal candles into his bag with his spellbook and freshly penned scroll and stepped outside. He saw that he was running a little late to meet up with the others but not by much. He took in a deep breath of fresh air and let it out before starting down to the Rusty Dragon.

    It wasn't long after reaching the main road that he noticed the commotion up ahead. Involving a nearly unclothed Setsuna (Why is that always the case?) and the grocer waving a ham about What does he plan to do with that? Upon getting closer and listening for a while, Taladron decides that he better do... something.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+2)[15]


    Hearing about the saucy details of the event Taladron can roughly put together why Setsuna ran away. He heads toward the basement to get this Shay person out here to explain herself.

    Spoiler
    Show
    If Taladron has trouble with getting to the basement he will cast grease on himself to aid him in slipping through the crowd.
    Last edited by bcool999; 2013-12-21 at 07:10 PM.
    Avatar by MeanMrsMustard

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Brin

    *Phew* Brin sighs as she finally pushes past the last body to deliver spell. That ought to put a damper on the situation, for a moment at least. Now to get that madman to back off before he does something we'll all regret.

    She shoves her way through the last line of gawkers to emerge fully from the crowd, taking only a brief moment to whisper prayer of good luck she'd learned from her adopted mother--rest her soul--before straightening herself up and addressing the paunchy ham-wielder.

    "Hold it there, greengrocer...um...whatever your name is. I don't know what this business is about rutting with your daughter, but shouting it in the middle of a crowded street certainly isn't doing anything for her good name. I doubt the respectable suitors will be lining up after her father gives her dirty laundry a good airing out in public."

    "But never mind that. Do you really want to leave her alone while you spend the rest of the week in the stocks? I admit, it might feel good to bludgeon this suspicious character about the head with a haunch of meat, but who knows what kind of blackguards might sneak in to harass your princess while her foolish father is being pelted with rotten produce.

    "Just put the cured meat down, man! Hand it over to me and go peacefully back into your shop, before your ham-fisted antics turn a seen into a proper scandal."


    The elf steps between Ven and Setsuna, optimistically grasping arms extended to receive the liquor-cured haunch of pork. Yes, that's right. Hand it over, old man. I can almost taste it.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+5)[17]

    and second roll, if allowed: (1d20+5)[20]

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground
     
    maggie_mcknife's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    GM post

    "Help her? With what? Making an honest girl into a strumpet? I dunno what kinda kinky stuff your kind get up to in Minkai, but you leave my daughter alone!" Setsuna's words fail to pacify Ven in any way whatsoever as the burly man growls and jabs threateningly in her direction with the ham. Ven was once a sailor and despite his recent paunch and having gone slightly to seed since setting up the General Store, he nevertheless cuts a tall and imposing figure over the petite tiefling.

    *****

    Taladron

    With all the attention focused on Ven and Setsuna, there is no one to stop Taladron as he sneaks up to the open basement door from which Setsuna was recently ejected.

    Despite the gloom and shadows within, Taladron's elven eyes have no trouble with scanning the premises for the aforementioned 'Shay'. There is a good deal strewn about on the floor in the otherwise neat storeroom - a sack of barley split at the seams and the little beans scattered all about, several ripened apples and cucumbers, not to mention broken jars that probably once contained pickled onions and sundried tomatoes in oil if the piquant bloom in the air is anything to go by. There is also a lone bodice with intricate lacework lying forlornly in the corner, soaking up the oil. Of the errant princess herself, however, there is no sign.

    You notice another set of stairs and door at the other end of the basement, which probably lead up into the General Store from the inside. It's quite possible that 'Shay' has long since fled to safety in the other direction.

    *****

    Red

    Spoiler
    Show
    Red's Perception check: (1d20+6)[18]


    Helping with a rat problem? Working on my Taldane? Was that was the young people these days were saying when they really meant that they were doing sex? Red frowns in confusion before shaking her head wearily. Goodness. She must be getting old.

    Still, upon overhearing the voices in the crowd, Red's frown only deepens. A betting pool on who Shayliss was sleeping with? Just what had Setsuna gotten herself into? Tapping the tiefling's arm, Red tries to warn her before she gets herself into further trouble with Ven. "The crowd. They're saying... it's a trap. They're saying... Shayliss's been looking for a while... to bed someone new."

    *****

    Spoiler
    Show
    Ven's Sense Motive vs Brin: (1d20)[17]


    Brin's cleverly worded retort elicits quite a few nods of agreement from the crowd, as well as several appreciative chuckles at her mention of 'ham-fisted'. Sandpoint's locals, as it turns out, are quite used to witty turns of phrase, thanks to the presence of the local theatre and the thriving school.

    "Rut what-? Ehhh. Of course yonder devil-blood didn't finish what she started now. I caught her in th'act! Saved my baby girl, that's what!" Ven is hardly pleased with the appearance of a stranger bold enough to question his logic, glowering at you from behind fiercely knit brows. "There ain't no dirty laundry if nothing's been stained! No scandal! I'll have yer know that Shay's a perfectly respectable maiden!"

    "Just like her sister, eh?" calls out some cheeky wag hidden among the crowd, to much cat-calling and back-slapping. "Come off it, old man. Everyone knows Shay's eager to charm the underclothes off every pretty boy 'n girl for miles."

    Ven flushes a deep shade of crimson at the jibe and abruptly turns on the crowd. "Who said that? Come out and say it to m'face, why don't yer!" he roars, spittle flying as he waves the ham wildly about. Despite Brin's best efforts, Ven's too canny a shopkeeper and he's obviously not surrendering his hambone into her custody.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2013-12-22 at 09:14 AM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC and OOC and Dice

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death
    Asher Darshani, paladin of Sarenrae who needs a vacation
    Raine Veloce, brawler who drinks too much coffee

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ProudGrognard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Sirus


    During the whole incident, Sirus has remained close to Setsuna, As was to be expected, his attempt at glibness failed. Obviously out of his league, he waits, his face a bit relaxed in what would be almost a smile.

    Attack by ham because a girl was excited about Setsuna. Nope, definitely did not see this coming.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Desril's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Setsuna

    Face glowing more red, thanks to the anger caused by insulting her homeland, Setsuna had been about to reply with a cutting retort before Red's information about what the crowd had been saying and the joke of the unseen member of said crowd that riled Ven up even further. Remembering her friends' and her sword's advice about her rash actions causing issues, however, causes Setsuna to take a moment to think before speaking up, though it takes longer than it should as her thoughts tend to get derailed by other thoughts of a bodice hitting the floor in a flash.

    Finally realizing that this situation could get even more out of hand for her, Shayliss, her friends who'd stepped in, and this newcomer is enough to calm the tiefling down and snap her back to reality well enough to try a diplomatic approach. Stepping forward toward the angry father, Setsuna speaks up to him loud enough for the crowd to hear, doing her best to pacify him with a public apology, and the crowd by taking the blame off Shayliss. "I am sure that your daughter is perfectly respectable, there was just a miscommunication, that is all. I was not intending to stain Shayliss-san's honor, and I apologize for the improper appearance of what happened," bowing in apology, Setsuna continues in a quiet enough voice that only Ven and those closest to them could hear, "But do you not think that it would be better to talk about this in private?"

    Spoiler
    Show

    Let's hope that the dice bot doesn't betray us.
    Diplomacy (1d20+8)[25]
    Eruvia Avatar by Oneris

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground
     
    maggie_mcknife's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    GM post

    Although realising that he losing the crowd's sympathy, Ven nevertheless blusters on the best he can in a misguided attempt to save face. "Miscommu- my foot! There's nothing t' talk about. I know what I saw! You were-"

    "Do you, Ven? We all know you keep no lights in the basement lest you set fire to the merchandise, and one's eyesight does tend to go as one ages." This lazy voice belongs to a handsome blue-eyed Varisian with a dandy's moustache who has managed to shoulder his way to the front. Smirking, he squeezes out of the pressing crowd to stand boldly before the fuming shopkeeper. "If you ask me, the young Tian miss was just minding her own business when your daughter accosted her and pulled her into the basement. And when do you ask me, I'll say it's because me and my boys have been sitting at the fishmarket across the way for the past hour inspecting the merchandise. Haven't we, boys?"

    The 'boys' in question turn out to be a heavyset thuggish man with faded runic tattoos visible all the way down his collar and - surprisingly enough - a slender male tiefling, his ram-like horns nearly hidden by a shock of curly black hair and his too-pink skin covered with rigid snake scales. The thug grins toothily down at Ven, while the tiefling has no reaction at all, merely pulling his cloak a little closer about him and gazing sightlessly ahead.

    Although Ven continues to glower and stand his ground, those watching a little closer realise that the fight has already gone out of the burly shopkeeper, his shoulders tensing up in defense. Those paying closer attention to the crowd, Sirus in particular, might also realise that people are starting to mutter uneasily among themselves and shift their feet. "Whadda yer want, Jubrayl?" Ven growls in a voice that could have cut ice.

    "What do I want? Oh, nothing. Nothing at all," says Jubrayl airily, waving his hand dismissively in the air. "Just doing my part as a concerned citizen to keep the peace, no? Seeing as to how our good Watch has been oh so busy of late. But if you would be ever so kind, Ven, I believe this young miss would want to you to let her be on her way, to give you some time to speak with your daughter in private. Oh, and ignore what I said earlier. I do want something. Here." Digging in his pocket, Jubrayl winks rougishly at Brin before holding out a palmful of coins to Ven. "For that delicacy you seem to have mistaken for a basher."

    "I'm not taking yer dirty money!" Ven jerks back as though scalded. Scowling furiously, he glances down at the rum ham before thrusting it at Jubrayl's chest with enough force to make the lanky man stagger. "Shove it up your pie hole for all I care. And you!" Ven whirls on Setsuna, almost shoving his paunch into her forehead, the strain palpable in his dangerously low voice. "Keep away from m' princess, y'hear?"

    Without waiting for an answer, Ven stomps back up to his basement, nearly pushing Taladron off the steps before slamming the door with a vengeance. Meanwhile, the crowd, sensing that there is little more to see, disperses with astonishing speed, leaving only your group, the newcomer, and Jubrayl's crew.

    *****

    "I think that went rather well, don't you agree?" says Jubrayl cheerfully, polished black leathers gleaming under moonlight as he laughs and tosses the rum ham at Brin. "Beautiful prose, milady. Always a pleasure to see someone show Ven up for the pompous arse he is. And as for you, little miss Tian," he adds, playfully poking Setsuna on the forehead. "Don't you know any better than to play with Ven's daughters away from papa's premises? Be more careful next time. And you..."

    Catching sight of Red, who has been waiting quietly behind Setsuna all the while, Jubrayl's lips curl in a wide smile that doesn't reach his eyes. "Why, Miss Allin," he says with bloodcurdling politeness. "I wasn't aware you were running with this noble outfit. These friends of yours, Miss Allin?"

    Red's eyes flick worriedly at your direction before looking determinedly up at Jubrayl, nodding once even as she swallows from nervousness.

    "Ah, excellent. I was beginning to wonder if you'd ever make any friends in this town besides Enforcer Rico. It's always good for a young woman to have strategic connections everywhere, you know. Do give my regards to your sister, won't you?" Jubrayl executes an exaggeratedly sweeping bow from the waist, before winking again at Brin and snapping his fingers in Setsuna's face. "I'm sure I'll see you all around. Ladies. And two gentlemen. You all be good now, hear?"

    With that, Jubrayl struts off down the street, heading past the fishmarket towards the south end of town, his entourage of 'boys' in tow.

    Knowledge (local) DC 12 (can make check untrained)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The man you have just met is Jubrayl Vhiski, one of the bartenders at the Fatman's Feedbag tavern over at the rougher side of Sandpoint. Jubrayl's known for being charming with the ladies, knife-wieldingly severe with customers who try to skive free drinks, and is reputedly able to drink visiting dwarf merchants under the table on a regular basis. Rumour also has it that Jubrayl is also something of a leader among the local Sczarni gang, though Sheriff Hemlock has never been able gather enough evidence to prove it. This doesn't stop people from giving Jubrayl the grudging respect and fear due a Sczarni lieutenant anyway, something that Jubrayl obviously enjoys.

    Exception if you're Red or Rico
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know for a fact that Jubrayl is no lieutenant but the leader of Sandpoints Sczarni gang, and a very well connected one too. He's quite likely the mastermind behind the scam robbery that landed Red in jail over a year ago, no thanks to Red's sister pissing off the leader of the Kaer Maga Sczarni branch over a contested mark.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2013-12-23 at 01:05 PM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC and OOC and Dice

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death
    Asher Darshani, paladin of Sarenrae who needs a vacation
    Raine Veloce, brawler who drinks too much coffee

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Brin

    Despite her surprise at how easily this newcomer had cowed the volatile shopkeep and relieved him of his makeshift weapon, Brin easily snatches the tossed ham out of the air. Pleased with the outcome, she uses it to give this Jubyal character a little salute of gratitude.

    Wait, i've heard that name before...hmm. While Brin hasn't been in town long, its hard not to pick up whispered rumors about that man. If half of what she'd heard was accurate, then it's no surprise that he sent Ven fleeing with his tail between his legs.

    But that wasn't her problem. Not anymore. She had the rum ham, and there was still time to have it warmed for supper. Just bring it back to that barkeep, whats-her-name...um...Ameiko. That's right. I'm sure she'll cook it for a small consideration...

    "Uh-oh." Visions of unpaid room bills and an extremely recent dine-and-dash dance through Brin's head. She'd have to do something, or this could mean trouble. Most of her stuff was still in that room, and she'd heard that Amieko was some kind of local heiress, or aristocrat, or something else influential enough to turn a little grudge into a real problem.

    A peace offering was in order. A token gesture to smooth the waters in addition to paying what she owed. A gesture like leading in a bunch of customers into the Rusty Dragon. But not too many. Brin waits for the crowd to thin some, each moment regretting what she was about to say.

    Finally, when the crowd has dispersed enough to ensure a sizable portion for herself, she triumphantly raises the ham above her head and proclaims in a voice she hopes won't carry too far, "So...who wants to head over to the Dragon for some rum ham? Follow me."

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Desril's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Setsuna

    Unable to respond to Ven as he storms off, Setsuna only manages to let out a sigh of relief before she turns to thank Jubrayl for his assistance in calming down the angry father only to be poked on the forehead. More relieved at his help than the minor insult however, the tiefling still offers him a polite thank you, not really believing the rumors she'd heard over the last couple of weeks about him now that she'd met him in person, before his attentions turn toward Red. Curious about his skittish companion, Setsuna watches her fellow tiefling more closely than her friend and fails to notice Red's anxiousness.

    Not wanting to interrupt as the rogue talks to him, and not noticing how on edge Red seems, Setsuna waits until Jubrayl has finished speaking only to find he made his exit before she could ask what she could do to repay him. With nothing that can be done about it, she turns toward everyone who came to her aid. "He is a strange man. I think I understand the rumors about him now, but he seems nice enough to me." Wondering about Vhiski's questioning her and the various comments he made to Red specifically, she turns toward the rogue as she asks, "Do you know him very well?"


    ****

    When Brin calls attention to herself and her newly acquired ham, Setsuna turns toward her and smiles, still a bit out of sorts from the earlier incident but calmed down enough now to remember her manners as she bows, "Oh, I forgot to introduce myself! My name is Setsuna, thank you for coming to help me," rising, she looks to Red, Taladron, and Sirus as well, "all of you, thank you."

    Looking back toward to elven newcomer she continues, "I would love to share that ham with you, but I fear I owe you dinner instead, so at least let me buy you a drink."
    Eruvia Avatar by Oneris

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    bcool999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Taladron

    Brushing himself off after Ven shoulders past him, Taladron gets a quick look at Jubrayl before he turns and walks away. For some reason, Taladron doesn't like him. Maybe because he was too smooth. Taladron's own awkwardness with people made him somewhat distrustful of anyone who was a natural people person. Red's reaction to the man was worrying too, but not entirely out of character when she is directly confronted.

    At Setsuna's praise Taladron shrugs. It isn't as though I did anything... He also nods to the suggestion of getting food. It is what we had planned to do today anyhow what will one more person hurt? Though Taladron did have a worry on his mind. "I wonder what is holding Rico up. I am surprised she wasn't around to break up that fracas. Though it is probably better this way so Ven didn't end up with a broken nose or jail time... or both."
    Avatar by MeanMrsMustard

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Brin



    "It was not trouble, really. Coming to...um...your aid, that is. But I'm not about to turn down a free drink." She grins and offers her right hand.

    Suddenly realizing that it would be less than ideal to offer Setsuna a handshake sticky with rum glaze, Brin smoothly withdraws the limb and does her awkward best to return the bow. At least she tries. The social etiquette of Tian Xia isn't one of her strong suits.

    "Let's be off to the Dragon, then. Before that oafish grocer decides to try beating you with a wheel of cheese."
    She hefts the ham aloft once more and begins marching towards the aforementioned tavern, eager to pay off her debt before another incensed business person decided to take the law into their own hands.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ProudGrognard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Sirus

    The situation diffused by an unexpected turn of events, Sirus resumes his walking next to the rest of the gang. He takes a good look at the woman she came to Setsuna's help. At first, he thought she was a friend of Setsuna, but then they introduced. Strange. And the woman herself had used magic.

    Sirius then notices how protective the woman was of the ham.

    "I am. Sirus. Join us. For eating. And drinking. Ameiko. Has even. Better. Supplies. I would. Buy you. A drink.

    Are you. An arcanist?"

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground
     
    maggie_mcknife's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Red

    Do I? Red watches Jubrayl's back as he swaggers away. Her Tien eyes narrow to dark slits as she thinks of that time, nearly a year ago - when she'd nearly been sent back to the Hells, to languish for a brutal highway robbery she hadn't committed. Only Rico's belief in her innocence and willingness to dig beyond the facts had saved her. And as for who on this side of Varisia had the resources and means to make up a scheme like that...

    All she had to go on was a single visit in the holding cells from Jubrayl himself, where he'd smiled and told her that he was sure that her sister would be heartbroken to hear that she'd done such a terrible thing. Only two kinds of people knew who Red's sister was - Guards and Sczarni. And since Jubrayl was most definitely not a watchman...

    Reflexively, Red glances down at her the palm of her left hand. The ritual prison brand at the base of her thumb had faded over the years, but the pale raised edges of the Chelish letters - C - O - R - are still faintly visible, even by moonlight.

    "...He is Sczarni. He is powerful. He... knows people... who do not like... my sister," she says quietly to Setsuna, before continuing in a lower voice, almost ashamed. "I nearly... went to the Hells. ...Again. Because of him."

    The newcomer's offer of a rum ham is a welcome distraction from her past and Red does not bother to pursue the subject. Smiling shyly at the others, she follows them to the Rusty Dragon without objection. All the same, she can't help checking worriedly over her shoulder as they go - just in case Jubrayl has sent his men to follow them.

    *****

    GM post

    With Brin in the lead and no sign of Rico just yet, you all continue on to the Rusty Dragon, where the late night drinking regulars are in full swing by now. The sight of Setsuna walking in through the doors does elicit a few whistles and table-slaps from the clientele but otherwise, Ameiko's customers are far too genial to bother with teasing the tiefling about her recent encounter with Ven Vinder.

    As luck would have it for Brin, it turns out that the people you've decided to share your ham with happen to be the survivors of the band who saved both Sandpoint and Ameiko from a nasty goblin attack two weeks ago. There is no question of Ameiko kicking you out of the Rusty Dragon while you're hanging out with them. (Though if you still don't pay your bills on time, there's no telling what Ameiko might do once you're out of their company...)

    For despite the packed dining room, a quick wave to catch the attention of one of the serving maids quickly secures your group a decent-sized table (still slightly sticky with spilled malt beer) in the corner. Without having to ask, the group is soon plied with cold drinks, spicy sausage, and a basket of crisp rolls and cheese. A request to have the rum ham warmed up is cheerfully complied with and soon enough, Ven's late weapon returns, artfully sliced up on a plate and dripping with glaze.

    The chatter of the booze-warmed crowd is convivial and those of you who elect to start first on your victuals enjoy the hearty supper. As the second empty seat at your table and the lone sheet of parchment tacked to the wall with a pearl-handled dagger might attest, however, there is one missing from your number.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC and OOC and Dice

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death
    Asher Darshani, paladin of Sarenrae who needs a vacation
    Raine Veloce, brawler who drinks too much coffee

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ProudGrognard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Sirus

    Sirus always feels a little awkward with the lavish attention to provided by Ameiko to their group. He has tried paying his bill more than once, but he has been rebuffed quite thorough each time. He has reported to buying gifts for Ameiko each week.

    As he is about to know more about the strange woman, he notices the note. Excusing himself with a node, he reads it quickly.


    As they enter, Sirus gives up and sits on the table, making himself comfortable.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Desril's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Setsuna

    Frowning at Red's explaination, Setsuna doesn't say anything but instead looks off after where Jubrayl disappeared to. I trust Red, but is he really a bad man? Maybe there was a mistake... Realizing Red doesn't want to talk about it any further right now, nearly three weeks with the rogue was long enough for the tiefling to usually figure out when she didn't want to talk about a particular topic, she lets the conversation die as they make their way back to the Rusty Dragon.

    ***

    Perhaps because her judgement was already impaired by the incident she'd just escaped from, or perhaps because of the third trait listed on the Placard; Drink to remember, not to forget, Setsuna has wine for herself, preferring it to the taste of cheaper ales. Not knowing anything at all about Brin besides what the elf had mentioned about herself on their walk over, the half-elven tiefling asks about what brings her to Sandpoint, and how long she intended to stay.
    Eruvia Avatar by Oneris

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Brin

    "That's an odd question to ask someone you just met." Brin replies to Sirus as she leads the group on the short walk back to the Dragon. "Especially after I helped calm that little situation back there. Or at least tried to help, until that Jubyal character showed up and chased the grocer off. Now he's an anarchist, from the rumors I've heard. Jubyal, that is. I think the grocer is just a foolish blowhard."

    But the man seemed to have asked the question in seriousness, and there was little else to do as they strolled, so she offers up a more considered response. "No, I'm not an anarchist, really. I'm a Pharasmin. See?" She flashes the indigo spiral tattooed on the left palm, the common symbol for Pharasma, and affects an air of detached superiority not uncommon among more formal clergy. "Let's just say that I've got weightier matters on my mind than, say, paying my bar tab on time. You know, death, and fate, and all that. I figure that as long as you hit the important things, the minor details don't amount to much in Goddess's final judgement."

    Why, are you an authoritarian? She throws the man a mock suspicious glare as she walks in the door of the tavern.

    *******

    Once inside, Brin is content to let the 'minor detail' of her bill slide for as long as the proprietor fails to mention it, particularly with all these free drinks to work through. Who knows, maybe she'll get lucky and someone will offer to cover it for her. Particularly since these people she's met seem to have the run of the place.

    "So you've asked one probing question, now it's my turn. Who are you people to get this kind of spread out of Ameiko? Even without the ham, this is a table fit for a Margrave, or possibly even a lesser Duke, and I'm pretty certain that I didn't see any of you order." She asks as the serving staff makes room for the ham.

    Now it's your turn to talk. I'll eat she thinks, reaching for the platter of rum ham. Fate dropped this fine supper into my hands. It would be downright blasphemous not to enjoy it thoroughly. She digs in with gusto, blissfully ignorant that she's dining with the heroes she's been hearing about since blowing into town the morning before.
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2013-12-25 at 03:09 AM.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    bcool999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Taladron

    Taking a seat at the table, Taladron was eager to begin his meal. Before that though, he felt like he should clear up some confusion first. "I believe Sirus asked if you were and 'arcanist' not an 'anarchist'. For instance, can you do this?" With a word and a pointed finger one of the rolls rises up from the basket and drifts lazily to Taladron's hand. While he fills up his plate with food Taladron continues to speak, "Also in response to your question, we are sitting with a few local celebrities since the goblin attack a few weeks ago and a more recent assault on a goblin lair which I was imprisoned in. I don't know all the details since, as I said, I have known them only recently, but they seem to be quite popular with the locals... Save perhaps the occasional angry grocer." At his last comment he flashes Setsuna a friendly smirk before beginning to dig into his meal. "By the way I am Taladron. Do you have a name or should we just call you Pharasmin?"
    Last edited by bcool999; 2013-12-25 at 02:29 AM.
    Avatar by MeanMrsMustard

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ProudGrognard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Sirus

    Sirus only watches impassively at the strange answer, but then Taladron puts things right. The revelation that Brin in a cleric of Pharasma almost make him lift an eyebrow in surprise. She, a follower of the lady? She seemed quite different than most of Pharasma 's clerics Sirus had met.

    Can this be a coincidence? I have been looking to share my burden with someone. Could she be the one?


    However, her description of Pharasma 's will, leaves Sirus almost open-mouthed.

    In the Lady's. Spiral. All debts. Are paid. Even the. Smallest ones.

    Sirus makes the lady's sign with his hands.

    "As Taladron said. We helped. Goblins. And worse. Pay their. Debt. To Sandpoint. The town. Still remembers. This."


    he points to the dagger

    "Is from. A friend. Who gave. Everything. To achieve. That goal."

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground
     
    maggie_mcknife's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Red

    At Sirus's mention of Cipriano, Red bows her head, staring down into her brimming tankard of mead.

    She'd thought about Mister Fox a lot in the past two weeks. She hadn't known him all that well, and he hadn't known her much either. But he'd always been kind to her. More than that, he'd saved her, choosing to die instead of her. That wasn't the sort of thing you could pay back.

    Red runs her finger along the edge of her tankard, drawing a dark line through the beads of condensation on the side. Setsuna had said that the best way to pay Mister Fox back was to live well. She had to try. Because not everyone got a second chance.

    Glancing up across the table at the newcomer, who is currently tucking into the ham with gusto, Red breathes out quietly, a sad smile touching the corners of her lips. "We helped Miss Ameiko... But we couldn't save our... friend. Tonight. We drink to him."

    Gently clinking the base of her tankard against the mug of anyone else willing, Red drains the lot, her eyes fixed on the parchment fluttering forlornly on the wall.

    Mister Cayden, gather him as one of your best.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2013-12-25 at 03:29 AM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC and OOC and Dice

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death
    Asher Darshani, paladin of Sarenrae who needs a vacation
    Raine Veloce, brawler who drinks too much coffee

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Brin

    "My name is Brin," she responds to Taladron, "and you mean there's a difference? Surely your floating roll flies in the face of many natural laws and regulations. That's sort of the point of the arcane, isn't it? Acquiring power and knowledge otherwise forbidden to mortals?" She responds to Taldaran between bite of ham, irked at her previous error. "That is to say, I don't do anything. I ask Pharasma for certain little favors, and she usually sees fit to grant them."

    "Like this. You see?" Brin draws some tobacco and a ten inch churchwarden pipe from a pouch on the side of her pack--one that can't be more than half that depth. She loads the pipe with a deft motion and mutters, "Lady of Souls, please forgive this vulgar display of your favor, but I beseech you to set this tobacco smoldering." As she completes the request with a formulaic prayer, a thin trail of smoke wafts up from the bowl of the pipe.

    But any satisfaction is immediately squelched when Sirus and Red reveal that they're here to honor a dead friend. She hide her discomfort well--conducting oneself properly around mourners is something a cleric of Pharasma learns early. Brin raises a glass with the others at Red's toast and holds her tongue for a respectful interval afterwards.

    But Sirus's earlier statement sticks with her. Before long, she turns back to him, "You're one of the faithful, as well?" It's hard to tell whether this pleases her or not. "You're right that all debts are added up in the final accounting, but some carry more weight than others. She cares most about debts of death, undeath, and fate denied. The debts which she collects herself. Fall behind on those and find your judgement truly unpleasant."

    "The rest, well, the judgement isn't just about punishment, but about finding a place where your soul fits best. One soul's bliss is another's bane. If you continually deny your true self in life, you may wind up doing it in the afterlife as well."
    She finishes by dumping the ashes from her pipe into an empty tankard.

    "But this is a celebration of your friend's life. I know as well as anyone that now isn't the best time for such a discussion. Perhaps I should take my leave..."
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2013-12-25 at 06:24 AM.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ProudGrognard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Sirus

    Sirus for a moment remains silent. His impassive face does not make clear whether he is thinking what he heard, or if he is formulating his answer. But it all ends with a quick head gesture.

    "You are. Right. In both. Counts. I am. Of the. Faithful. And more. And. This. Is not. The time.

    I would. Speak. More. Of this. But now. Stay. Our friend. Cypriano. Always believed. That the more. The merrier. Drink. And eat. With us. He would. have wanted it. That way.

    The first day. Here. He made. A party. Of his. Stay. Yes?"


    That was aimed at the others.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground
     
    maggie_mcknife's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Red

    "...Yes. He did. Party." Red nods slowly in confirmation. Which reminded her...

    Excusing herself, Red wends her way to the bar and waits patiently for Ameiko to catch a free moment between serving drinks. She wasn't Mister Fox. She wouldn't shout this aloud to the entire tavern. But it was something he'd have done. Fishing two gold pieces out of her belt, Red pushes them across the bar table to Ameiko, who picks them up questioningly, quirking an eyebrow.

    Red picks up an empty glass, turning it over in her hands. What would Cipriano have said? Ah, yes.

    "... A pint... of beer. For everyone here. For Cayden Cailean..." She places the glass gently back down on the bar top, smiling wistfully by way of explanation. "...and Sandpoint. It is... the fourteenth day."

    Thanking Ameiko and leaving her to do the serving, Red rejoins the others at the table, sipping on honeywine and gnawing on a bread roll. She would usually have slipped outside for a breather by now, but it was a special occasion and it wouldn't do to leave the table.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC and OOC and Dice

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death
    Asher Darshani, paladin of Sarenrae who needs a vacation
    Raine Veloce, brawler who drinks too much coffee

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Stormwracked verdant hive
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    At the door, a shadow appears
    Hobnailed boots thudding
    On the Rusty's floor

    Orcblooded bulk does bore
    Through crowd's press a-swirling, a-swilling
    The scarred scowl twitches, wincing at drunkards' cheers

    Clad in a heavy greatcoat
    And a hat broad-brimmed silver-trimmed
    Grunts, the missing member of the rumours' heroes

    Then rumbles and clears her throat
    Glares at empty distance, her eyes' light dimmed
    Down the hatch, her beer goes

    Wolvish ears twitch, amber eyes squint
    Over a sigh, over a yawn,
    Over a second foaming mug
    Thick-thewed shoulders sink,
    As the heavily scarred woman slumps...
    ...then simply says,

    "Aye. To Father Fox.
    Squad. Good evenin'.
    ...Hrrhghrhmmm. Brin, Pharasmin pilgrim... did I get that right? How're yeh findin' Sandpoint thus far? Hrrhmm. "
    ~~>DAEMONICA ELECTRONICA.
    Severe technical difficulties. Sorry for inconvenience.


    OOC Ratcatchers: Iiiiiiiiinves-ti-gate! Good times, come on! Investiiiii-gation!
    OOC Finding Paths and Making Kings: STANDOFF AT BOKKEN"S HUT.
    OOC Curse of the Crimson Throne Bandits incoming at 12-o-clock and 9-o-clock.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Desril's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Setsuna

    Joining Red's toast, the tiefling continues to drink while listening to Brin's conversation with the others. At her offer to leave however, Setsuna sides with Sirus, "That is right, he would have preferred we not chase company away, you should stay even if you did not know him. We know his final judgement was a fair one at least..."Before remembering how sad she was when he passed on however, Red returns with 'free' alcohol right behind her, reminding Setsuna more of the first night Cipriano was with them and bringing a small smile to her face.

    Accepting her share of the pint that Red had just bought everyone, while wary of the simple beer at first, eventually finishes her wine and starts drinking from it. It was just as her face started to get flushed, from the alcohol, rather than embarrassment for a change, that she finally noticed the remnants of the brand on Red's finger. Not wanting to broach a sensitive topic tactlessly, but having few inhibitions to begin with and a few drinks already down, the tiefling's present level of tact is a bit lacking as she whispers an aside to Red with a tone of mixed curiosity and concern. Motioning to her branded hand she asks, "Is that from...before you met Rico-san?"

    Before Red has a chance to answer however, the half-orcess makes her appearance at their table, having snuck in while Setsuna wasn't looking. At the constable's good evening, the tipsy tiefling returns the greeting with an additional "Is every thing alright?"
    Eruvia Avatar by Oneris

    Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    . . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground
     
    maggie_mcknife's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denial

    Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

    Red

    Somewhat taken aback by Setsuna's abrupt question, Red almost neglects to notice Rico's arrival, recovering just in time to pat Rico's arm and smile up at her best friend in welcome. Nevertheless, she gives the question due consideration, taking her time as she nibbles the crust off her bread roll. She'd learned by now that Setsuna had a tendency to ask difficult questions without realising that they were difficult to answer.

    Still, it was a fair question. And it was probably better for her companions to hear it from her own mouth rather than from someone else.

    Red inclines her head, swallowing before she replies in a quiet but clear voice. "...Yes. From when I... stole things. In Magnimar... I was caught. If you do not have... protection... from a gang, you go to the Hells. To jail. This... is how they keep track of you. It will tell... any watchman... what you have done." Breathing out heavily, Red catches Sirus's eye from across the table, then glances at Setsuna, a faint self-deprecating smile playing at her lips. "I am not a very good thief. Sellswording... is easier. There is more blood... but less guilt."
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

    MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC and OOC and Dice

    Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death
    Asher Darshani, paladin of Sarenrae who needs a vacation
    Raine Veloce, brawler who drinks too much coffee

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •