New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: Christmas gifts?

I hope you all had some happy times with one another for the holidays sounds like you all got some good stuff

I got The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, some Hobbit Legos (I like building stuff too!), a battlemat, a nice blanket, a comfy pillow, and a few other small things All in all, it was a great day... Wish I could have seen my best friend though it stinks that she lives a state away.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

I got...Risk of Rain. And I gave away 16 presents. Hmm, there is something wrong with this ratio here...

At least 7 of the people I present-ed are apparently going to buy something for me as a 'late Christmas present', so there's that

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

My haul:
    - lots of socks (GF's family was told once I needed socks, now I get them every year, but that works for me considering how I go through them)
    - a couple of sweaters
    - a belt
    - two bottles of red wine
    - "Piratica III" "Personal darkness" and "Darkness, I" by Tanith Lee
    - "The Ice Monkey" by M. John Harrison
    - an automatic pot stirrer
    - a bunch of candy, including the all-important marsipan pig
    - a bunch of minor stocking-stuffers like a new toothbrush, dental floss, tooth picks, mini pocket flashlight, erasers, pencils, etc.
    - some cash
    - Knoll & Tott (orig. "The Katzenjammer Kids") - a vital part of every christmas
    - the Legend of Drizzt D&D minis (only for the dragon - the girl got the White Dragon Evolution, so now we have a little family)

Most importantly, lots of good food with my family. For years I've been saying we can just stop giving presents, or cut it down to one a piece and just focus on the food and family. No one seems to listen to me.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vesth View Post
    I got...Risk of Rain. And I gave away 16 presents. Hmm, there is something wrong with this ratio here...
    You got a lot of good karma Things have a way of working out when you do nice things for people you care about.

A friend of mine who is disabled and living very frugally on SSI had her laptop start dying (constant shutdowns etc.) right before Christmas. She doesn't really have family to look after her at this point, unfortunately. And it's just about her only source of communication/entertainment (no TV, no cell phone, etc.). So having no computer would be pretty awful for her, especially in the snowy season when she's stuck inside so much. I've been doing some extra freelance work and my last check was just enough to buy someone a laptop from Dell Outlet after factoring in a 25%-off coupon and free shipping... spur of the moment decision, and she was quite surprised to get a 17" Inspiron delivered on Christmas Eve

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

My gifts (which I have zero complaints about and happy to have received, as they were all along what I was asking for)

-Gran Turismo 6
    -The Gran Turismo 5 OST (If you've played it, and you hear music from GT5, like stuff by daiki kaisho, or the series chosen motif: Moon over the Castle, coming from a car next to you, and this is a certain Mid-Atlantic state in the USA, that might be me )
    -some good ol' rugged denim jeans
    -Some new moccasin shoes, and other clothing(And very happy for the moccasins, as my old ones just fell apart beyond repair)
    -League of Legends Riot Point gift cards. (hello Character packs!, What's that? Ahri, one of my favorite mages to use during free rotations, is on sale too? Awesome)
    -gift card to a gaming store
    -3.X DnD's Complete Divine
    -A simple, and delicious Roast beef with mostly home prepared food dinner, and my father's horse-radish based sauce, and a side of home made potato salad (which I had a hand in making it), and my mother's cookies.
    Last edited by Razgriez; 2014-09-17 at 06:34 PM.
    Final Fantasy XIV Dragoon custom avatar made by Iruka. Thanks Iruka.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

I got lots of cool books and DVDs, and a few other things, but for this forum, the greatest gift was this: My nine-year-old niece made me a die.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Main gift was a very warm & waterproof winter coat & gloves. Secondary gift was both Forbidden Island & Forbidden Desert (board games), both of which I am enjoying.

The best part of Christmas was actually last Saturday, delivering gifts/goodies in the projects\bad side of town.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

I received this year:

A small number of alcoholic beverages (not the single malt I secretly wished for but obscure real ales that were good to share)

a couple of "comedy" books from people that know I read but don't know WHAT I read

A very amusing T-shirt and some socks with dubious jokes

but most of all I got a new job. The look on my nieces face when she saw she got a book about a fish that breaks wind. also my nephews "aaaah" when he greeted uncle Fred and nuzzled my stubble.. (odd kid but awesome). I also now have the girth of Jupiter from sharing meals with family and beers with friends.

Swag be damned, not been happier in years!

Edit: Also got an invite to shoot at Partridges :P Sharpening my axe for the pear tree as we speak
    Last edited by eidreff; 2013-12-27 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Forgot to add
    Why cannot life be simple? I am simple, therefore surely something that i try to do must also be simple