Devil

Default Re: One Piece III: Cups!

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Oh god he's so hard boiled.
    so very hard boiled! *wipes away tears*

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Ogre in the Playground

Dang, that's a surprisingly good reason for going around dressed as a baby all the time.

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Spoiler: New issue
    Show
    The ending reminded me of the ending to Bon Clay vs. Sanji. It really makes me think that Senor Pink is going to be one of those enemies that becomes an ally later on.
    Spoiler: 775
    Show
    Though it does make me wonder why he never asked to use Manshelly to help his wife. I mean, that should work right? Maybe she'll do it now and that'll be his heel-face turn motivation.

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Dasgovernator View Post
    Show
    Though it does make me wonder why he never asked to use Manshelly to help his wife. I mean, that should work right? Maybe she'll do it now and that'll be his heel-face turn motivation.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hard to say what the timeline of all of this is, looking at the flashbacks, does anyone remember what chapter the flashback to when they took over Dressrosa is? he is not wearing the bonnet during the Corazon stuff. His wife could very well be dead already.

Because This backstory needed to be SADDER

oh and to add a layer, since it is not pre-Corazon related birdcage, his son could have very well died during that bit, which means he stays with Mingo not only because it is the only family he has left but because if Mingo's plans fall apart that means he sacrificed everything he had for Mingo.

No wonder he took 30 Punches to the face.

so very hard boiled! *wipes away tears*
    He is the most hard boiled.

Edit : I think we can officially say that the Aseop of One Piece is no longer "Dreams and Friendship are the things that make life work living" and is more of "You can never judge someone by how they act or dress, because they could very well have a good reason for it"
    Last edited by ryuplaneswalker; 2015-01-29 at 05:36 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Shh, keep your reason out of our awesome manga

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    Edit : I think we can officially say that the Aseop of One Piece is no longer "Dreams and Friendship are the things that make life work living" and is more of "You can never judge someone by how they act or dress, because they could very well have a good reason for it"
    I think OP has way more than one aesop.

I think we need to rewrite the unofficial manliness scale and put Pink higher than he was before... I mean, yeah, the cast of TTGL blew up galaxies but he wears a bonnett just to make his loved one smile. I can't believe I'm wishing I was as manly as the guy wearing a bonnett...
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Titan in the Playground

I think we need to rewrite the unofficial manliness scale and put Pink higher than he was before... I mean, yeah, the cast of TTGL blew up galaxies but he wears a bonnett just to make his loved one smile. I can't believe I'm wishing I was as manly as the guy wearing a bonnett...
    Honestly though.. blowing stuff up pales against making the love of your life smile for even a second on the grand scale of manliness.

Do think we have a lot of other extremely manly moments in OP though.. Pele flying off with the huge bomb being one of my favorites.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Simple Answer: There is no Devil Fruit that can heal a broken heart.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hard to say what the timeline of all of this is, looking at the flashbacks, does anyone remember what chapter the flashback to when they took over Dressrosa is? he is not wearing the bonnet during the Corazon stuff. His wife could very well be dead already.

Because This backstory needed to be SADDER

oh and to add a layer, since it is not pre-Corazon related birdcage, his son could have very well died during that bit, which means he stays with Mingo not only because it is the only family he has left but because if Mingo's plans fall apart that means he sacrificed everything he had for Mingo.

No wonder he took 30 Punches to the face.
    Bonnet was on in invasion of Dressrosa but off with Corazon's death... so while there's some time between those events it IS fairly suggestive.

And if so... omgidkwtf

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Bonnet was on in invasion of Dressrosa but off with Corazon's death... so while there's some time between those events it IS fairly suggestive.

And if so... omgidkwtf
    How old were Baby 5 and uhh Buffalo when Dressrosa was taken over? I forget..

Edit : Found it

So

Spoiler
    Show
    Baby Five is older in the Dressrosa takeover than she was in the Corazon flashback, which means Pink's backstory happened during/between Corazon's flashback and Dressrosa, which means they did not have the princess with the heal heal fruit, and probably his wife died before they found the princess.

Which means he finds a way to cure his wife AFTER she probably died. There are so many layers to how HORRIBLE this is it is not even funny!

Edit : No she has to be dead..else the "The Sky sadder today than I would like..but if I could keep going I could see Her..my Lucy Anne...and my Son Gimlet too" would make no sense.
    Last edited by ryuplaneswalker; 2015-01-29 at 07:04 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ...wait if they killed Corazon that means Doflamingo lied when he said "they had already taken Dressrosa over" when taunting him about his failure.

Doflamingo is such a massive **** bag.

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

So more thinking, the rabbit hole goes deeper.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gimmlet had a bad fever...she took him to a hospital and he died.

what if he didn't die from a fever, what if he was kidnapped as a test subject for the first generation of a mad scientists pill to create giants.

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Spoiler: Eff you, Oda!
    Show

(btw, trying to come up with someone who is denser than Leo. Naruto in regard to Hinata?)
    Nah, Leo's denser. First the princess is more obvious about her feelings than Hintata. Second, not only is Leo obvlivious to her feelings but he actually misinterprets her flirting in the most negative way

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...wait if they killed Corazon that means Doflamingo lied when he said "they had already taken Dressrosa over" when taunting him about his failure.

Doflamingo is such a massive **** bag.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Doflamingo didn't say they already took over dressrosa. He said that whatever information corazon had to prevent the take over would not have actually worked. Corazon's info was meant to save Dressrosa but it most likely would have only been a speed bump for Doflamingo. With or without that info Dressrosa was doomed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Baby Five is older in the Dressrosa takeover than she was in the Corazon flashback, which means Pink's backstory happened during/between Corazon's flashback and Dressrosa, which means they did not have the princess with the heal heal fruit, and probably his wife died before they found the princess.

Which means he finds a way to cure his wife AFTER she probably died. There are so many layers to how HORRIBLE this is it is not even funny!

Edit : No she has to be dead..else the "The Sky sadder today than I would like..but if I could keep going I could see Her..my Lucy Anne...and my Son Gimlet too" would make no sense.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Another thing that could have possibly saved her was the Ope Ope No mi. The fruit does allow a doctor to work miracles. Heck if the ope ope no mi couldn't fix her brain then maybe its possible that it could have instead switched her mind into another body. Granted we again, don't know when he met Lucy Anne... he could have met her and/or lost her after the incident with Corazon and Law.

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    Nah, Leo's denser. First the princess is more obvious about her feelings than Hintata. Second, not only is Leo obvlivious to her feelings but he actually misinterprets her flirting in the most negative way
    Spoiler
    Show
    And considering Naruto DOES end up with Hinata...

13. - Top - End - #1273

PirateGuy

New anime episode, Doflamingo is about to go Enel on this island and I'm more than a bit concerned about the general populace of the island, keeping casualties to a minimum is going to be difficult with all of these Parasite Strings causing unnecessary damage from the people controlling them (also question: were the strings in the manga depicted as severed or is that just an anime screw-up?) and a part of me worries what would happen if Doffy decided to just pull in that Birdcage like a lethal version of this.

Having him have a duplicate copy of himself made of strings was also a neat surprise and upped his threat level considerably in my mind compared to what it seemed before. (though not as much as it would have if it had turned out he was some kind of faux-Logia where his head was still "hanging on by a thread", similar to psychomom from Kill La Kill)

Actually that would be a really cool showdown in my opinion, Doffy vs Ragyo, who would win?

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Titan in the Playground

Wow are they really that close or has this arc just been going on that long?

And yeah Doffy's went all Ragyo there, they'd make about the best crossover couple ever. I wonder if Oda is a fan?

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Both. They're basically on chapter 745 (versus 775 in the manga), which is closer than they've ever been I think. The anime doesn't really take breaks after all, and running a 1:1 Episode to Chapter ratio is already stretching the source material as is. We can expect a bigger (8-10 episode) filler arc after they get off Dressrosa. Maybe they'll finally get back around to making episodes out of the cover stories.

Though Dressrosa is the longest arc in the story so far, and we're still probably 10 chapters from being done and done, since we still have all of the big players left to take care of.

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

And if you really want to think about it, Punk Hazard is tied into this like Water 7 was tied into Enies Lobby, this is an incredibly long storyline build.

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

And yeah Doffy's went all Ragyo there, they'd make about the best crossover couple ever. I wonder if Oda is a fan?
    I believe that was already answered before:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Yeah, I was half-joking... but the similarity between both powers is quite glaring, isn't it? I mean, it mostly IS the same.

Wow, has it really been so long? I mean, how long was the Alabasta/Baroque arc? I feel it would be on a similar scale, even if there were less Strawhats back then.
    Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    This arc is actually the longest one now at 71 chapters, surpassing Skypiea's 65 and Alabasta's 62 (excluding Whiskey Peak stuff)
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

18. - Top - End - #1278

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sigh View Post
    Having him have a duplicate copy of himself made of strings was also a neat surprise and upped his threat level considerably in my mind compared to what it seemed before. (though not as much as it would have if it had turned out he was some kind of faux-Logia where his head was still "hanging on by a thread", similar to psychomom from Kill La Kill)
    Actually, I don't see why he couldn't do a faux Logia thing. Buggy is a Paramecia as well and can pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    I believe that was already answered before:
    Spoiler
    Show

Sadly, we're only just getting to the first exciting fight of the time skip, imo. There just hasn't been a legitimate challenge to the Strawhats yet. Hody and the New Fishman Pirates were crap, Caesar and his group was a joke, and the only one who was really a threat for Luffy in the Coliseum was probably Burgess who didn't even get to fight him.

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

IMO Caesar's threat level is hard to gauge, in that given the right opponent (i.e. Any nonhaki user), he can and likely will win. His power isn't something that can be measured by raw strength/power/whathaveyou, sorta like Sugar's and Perona's.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

20. - Top - End - #1280

PirateGuy

Yeah but the thing about Buggy is that that's his fruit's entire schtick, Doffy's seems to be relegated to the creations he generates with his strings as opposed to any inherent stringyness his body itself has.

21. - Top - End - #1281

PirateGuy

What's up with the manga? Is Oda in the hospital again?

22. - Top - End - #1282

Quote Originally Posted by Sigh View Post
    What's up with the manga? Is Oda in the hospital again?
    New chapter isn't out until tomorrow, and last week was a break for One Piece.

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

new chapter is out, its meh.

on a side note, i really dislike kyros anymore, he's a powerful warrior, his daughter is also a skilled warrior but no, SHE IS A DELICATE FLOWER AND IT WOULD BE TERRIBLE IF SHE DEFENDED HERSELF OR HER LOVED ONES.

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by chainer1216 View Post
    new chapter is out, its meh.

on a side note, i really dislike kyros anymore, he's a powerful warrior, his daughter is also a skilled warrior but no, SHE IS A DELICATE FLOWER AND IT WOULD BE TERRIBLE IF SHE DEFENDED HERSELF OR HER LOVED ONES.
    You mean, if she harmed someone which was something her dead mother expressly wished she never do.

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

You mean, if she harmed someone which was something her dead mother expressly wished she never do.
    yes, exactly that, it is an extremely selfish and stupid wish, especially in a world plagued with pirates and a deeply corrupted military government, ESPECIALLY when you live in the most dangerous section of the world, where people with superpowers are a dime a dozen.

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Titan in the Playground

Sigh this again... you really wanna go there?

Alright look One Piece is many things but its not say Fairy Tail or Attack on Titan or Magi... or Nanoha or Pretty Cure or Madoka or Ghibli. Its a boy's own adventure tale, there's an SBS I can track down where Oda is happy a lot of readers are female, but he's not going to change how he's writing because of it. So don't expect women to handle much of the action at any point because the story is well... a man's romance.

Its deliberately rather old school and rather immature.

And yes that includes getting these classic princess types like Rebecca. Who exist to be saved and protected while moving the world through their earnest hearts and gentle kindness. This isn't inconsistent with her character, its been there right from the beginning. She's also say not someone who's presented as totally competent then somehow fails to follow through (like a certain other recently concluded manga I could name) when it counts, she's been out of her league since the Coliseum and everyone should have known that technical pacifism when not named Vash only gets you so far.

Now when Boa Hancock or Big Mom starts being incompetent in a fight that will be another story.

And with all things Japan... its Japan. Its a culture we might sample but we are not a part of, we do not set the rules, the expectations, and nothing we do or say is going to amount to squat because we are an unimportant fringe. Heck what western otaku sample isn't even nessecarily all that representative of Japan at a whole, we indulge in a fairly limited sample size. You either accept that yes they have from our perspective some outdated social mores (though we're that much better?) or you quit the entire affair. All bringing it up is going to cause is ruining franchises with expectations that will never be met.

I might also note that while Japan divides gender differently I might be tempted to say I can probably come up more genuinely awesome heroines then I can in say American media. Many just so happen to star in their own media. I'm not gonna claim "separate but equal" nessecarily but hell I don't have trouble naming female protagionists or other interesting characters. While here across the Pacific well... heck my favorite girl's entertainment from America was founded basically on "hey can girl's cartoons stop sucking please?" by its creator.

27. - Top - End - #1287

PirateGuy

Sigh this again... you really wanna go there?
    Hey hey hey, don't bring me into this! =P

28. - Top - End - #1288

God I love One Piece.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Diamante is such a monster, and it was satisfying to see him get cut down.

I think it would of been really cool if Rebecca and Kyros teamed up and brought Diamante down together, but I don't in any way disagree with the plot as it's been presented.

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Titan in the Playground

Geez, I had already forgotten about that "never hurt anyone" thing... And I can't say i like it, sorry. Whatever the justification behind it not happening, I would have wanted Rebecca to go out there and avenge her father who lost, because, you know, he's exhausted and missing a leg and pierced by a thousand spiked bullets.
    I don't want to make a big deal out of it but... yeah, Rebecca being, what a technical pacifist even though she was a gladiator? I don't like it.

Anyway, we're getting close to the finish. Time is weird in OP but I wonder how long bellamy has been arkanoiding around the room by now.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Titan in the Playground

This was actually also my first reaction upon reading this chapter.

It made me really angry.. on Kyros.
    Because i do think he is being horribly selfish. Whereever she should pick up a sword and a new flag out of Diamantes rear, or stand back and cover, then it really should be her own choice.
    And Kyros does seem to be a badass of a level almost in a class of his own. If he had been training Rebecca proberly she should have been a female version of Zorro, not someone who just barely made it though the coluseum matches though cabbage falling asleep, and who had to be saved by Ace in the finale.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar