New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: [Steam] Thread XXXIII: The only winning move is not to play

Officially breaking the double post rule, because I'm an admin and thus allowed to.

Thought you might all like to know that Valve has accidentally posted the next two days of sales: http://store.steampowered.com/news/

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Officially breaking the double post rule, because I'm an admin and thus allowed to.

Thought you might all like to know that Valve has accidentally posted the next two days of sales: http://store.steampowered.com/news/
    Strange. No Day 10...

3. - Top - End - #63

Quote Originally Posted by Neftren View Post
    Strange. No Day 10...
    Actually, correction, not the next two days, the two days after tomorrow. Tomorrow is still not posted (day 10 as you noted), but what appears to be the day after tomorrow and the day after that are posted.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Point taken. Is it rubbish, or just not as good?

EDIT: Well, I'm certainly glad I got it on sale, because I can't make heads or tails of it. Endless Space was at least comprehensible.
    Sword of the Stars has a barebones, but fully functional UI. It just takes some getting used to. (The 3D strategic map always does people in. )

As for SOTS2, well, there were a certain number of design decisions that made it an inferior product to SOTS Prime, IMO. Couple with an extremely buggy release (think Battlefield 4 or X3 Rebirth but worse), it soured many off the sequel.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I could say I'm looking forward to the Mass Effect 2 sale, but since I know that won't apply to the DLC, I think I'll just take the next two days off.
    Still hoping to see A Brothers: Tale of Two Sons Flash sale though.

As far as I can tell Gone Home is the award winning universally acclaim, universally despised piece of garbage worst game of the year ever, based on on a casual internet look into it. So which is it? The game everyone hates to love or the game everyone loves to hate?Please don't just say "Yes"
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2013-12-27 at 11:31 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddenwar View Post
    As far as I can tell Gone Home is the award winning universally acclaim, universally despised piece of garbage worst game of the year ever, based on on a casual internet look into it. So which is it? The game everyone hates to love or the game everyone loves to hate?
    Seeing as how I loved both Dear Esther and To The Moon, I have a feeling I'd love this. Onto The Wishlist!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Sure, what's your steam account?
    I should use a more sensible name.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

As far as I can tell Gone Home is the award winning universally acclaim, universally despised piece of garbage worst game of the year ever, based on on a casual internet look into it. So which is it? The game everyone hates to love or the game everyone loves to hate?Please don't just say "Yes"
    Yes.

Given that I've succumbed and picked it up while on sale, I'll be able to tell you in a couple days when I get home.
    From the looks of it, it's a slow paced exploration game based in the 90s. If you're of the right age to remember the period (and I am, although of wrong culture), you'll probably get more out of it.

I expect all the negative reviews are from (possibly younger) gamers expecting something else and all the positive reviews are from casual gamers and the older reviewers.

9. - Top - End - #69

I almost bought Gone Home until I realised that this wasn't even the best sale price it had been on.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Snow globe trading:

Duplicate Cards:

Cards Needed:

Sorry, I'm not creative enough to know how to create a chart.

And I did actually end up buying Gone Home after seeing some video reviews. One review said "if you like the genre, buy it, because it does it well. If you don't like the genre, then avoid it like the plague, because it doesn't do anything else."

I do enjoy the genre of exploratory storytelling with few if any actual game mechanics.
    And I was a teen in the nineties, so there's that. Just hearing the music . . .
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2013-12-28 at 10:48 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Yes.

Given that I've succumbed and picked it up while on sale, I'll be able to tell you in a couple days when I get home.
    From the looks of it, it's a slow paced exploration game based in the 90s. If you're of the right age to remember the period (and I am, although of wrong culture), you'll probably get more out of it.

I expect all the negative reviews are from (possibly younger) gamers expecting something else and all the positive reviews are from casual gamers and the older reviewers.
    The problem with the game is that through basic exploration of the first area (literally the first bookcase like object you see.) contains the key that gets you to the second to last area with the key to the last area in it. Which just so happens to be right beside the place where you get the key.

You beat it. It's done. There's no slow paced exploration. 5 minutes of your life wasted. Actually the whole game.
    Last edited by Fan; 2013-12-28 at 11:10 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fan View Post
    T
    You beat it. It's done. There's no slow paced exploration. 5 minutes of your life wasted. Actually the whole game.
    I see. So for people who only play games to get to the end, who play for the challenge, it's a waste of time. But for others its a great experience. That explains why everyone seems to either love it or hate it. Thank-you.

The Stanley Parable is only 20-30 seconds long. That's right, you can beat the Stanley Parable, a $15 game, and get to the end in 20-30 seconds, and that's counting the cinematic. But that doesn't make it a terrible game.
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2013-12-28 at 12:53 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Is the Brothers game as good as people say? I'm considering picking it up.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Snow globe trading:
    Sell the cards you don't want on the Steam Market and buy the snowglobes you need. Frankly, you're better off just buying the items for the F2P games that you want to get, if that's your goal. Otherwise, the snowglobe prices have been on a steep decline this past week, so your best bet is to buy them near the conclusion of the sale.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Firbolg in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Out of curiosity, does anyone think that there may be an encore sale coming after the end of the Holiday Sale? I'm curious as I won't be able to get Steam Gift Cards here in Canada until Monday, which by then Saints Row IV will be back to -33% off. I'm hoping an encore sale might make it drop to 50% off or better so I can purchase it for both me and my friend.

...Out of curiosity, does anyone know where these gift cards can be bought at? I know they can be bought at Gamestop (which isn't in Canada) but I've heard they stock at EBGames and BestBuy too. Can anyone confirm this please?

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    Sell the cards you don't want on the Steam Market and buy the snowglobes you need. Frankly, you're better off just buying the items for the F2P games that you want to get, if that's your goal. Otherwise, the snowglobe prices have been on a steep decline this past week, so your best bet is to buy them near the conclusion of the sale.
    True, but with each "Sell a card buy a card" you lose about 5 cents. It's better financially to do a straight trade.

I did sell all my cards for the first 3 days before the price plummeted.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starsign View Post
    Out of curiosity, does anyone think that there may be an encore sale coming after the end of the Holiday Sale? I'm curious as I won't be able to get Steam Gift Cards here in Canada until Monday, which by then Saints Row IV will be back to -33% off. I'm hoping an encore sale might make it drop to 50% off or better so I can purchase it for both me and my friend.

...Out of curiosity, does anyone know where these gift cards can be bought at? I know they can be bought at Gamestop (which isn't in Canada) but I've heard they stock at EBGames and BestBuy too. Can anyone confirm this please?
    EBGames is Gamestop in most countries, so they should be available there. Some googling reveals they are also available at Bestbuy.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

True, but with each "Sell a card buy a card" you lose about 5 cents. It's better financially to do a straight trade.

I did sell all my cards for the first 3 days before the price plummeted.
    Not always. A lot of those cards have varying prices. Besides, if 5 cents matters that much to you...

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledore lives View Post
    EBGames is Gamestop in most countries, so they should be available there. Some googling reveals they are also available at Bestbuy.
    And Wal-Mart.
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starsign View Post
    I'd recommend getting SR4 right now while it's 60% off, like I wish I had...
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVid View Post
    I'd recommend getting SR4 right now while it's 60% off, like I wish I had...
    I wish I had $20 to get it at 60% off!

22. - Top - End - #82
    Barbarian in the Playground

50% off flash sale on Long Live The Queen? Well, i suppose my wallet can always do with some additional lightening.
    Current avatar Thanks to Serpentine
    Spoiler
    Show
    Red Gyarados Avatar Thanks to Mr Saturn

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Picked up Dust: An Elysian Tale and so far totally not disappointed. Fidget is awesome, and hilarious. Game seems like it might be trying to do too much for a side-scroller, but it's really fun. Well worth the price I think.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aragehaor View Post
    50% off flash sale on Long Live The Queen? Well, i suppose my wallet can always do with some additional lightening.
    Remember to save often.

Seriously.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Well looks like I got the wrong sword of the stars, the one that comes after one, which is as beginner friendly as a bashing your head against a brick wall.

Did the first one start off with a tutorial? I know it's possible to watch several hours of video to learn how to play, but I kind of prefer to learn how to play a game by playing it.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    Boss battles give non-lethal players more options to deal with them that don't involve carrying around a gun specifically to kill bosses.
    Playing Stealth myself for my first run. I didn't prepare for the first boss battle at all and just beat him by running away and shooting him in the face with my pistol a bunch of times.

Well looks like I got the wrong sword of the stars, the one that comes after one, which is as beginner friendly as a bashing your head against a brick wall.

Did the first one start off with a tutorial? I know it's possible to watch several hours of video to learn how to play, but I kind of prefer to learn how to play a game by playing it.
    The first one has a semblance of a tutorial that works pretty well actually and gets you started. The game is simple enough to figure most things out yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Well looks like I got the wrong sword of the stars, the one that comes after one.
    You can rank this as your personal "Dumbest Decision/Mistake Ever On Steam."

Unless there was one time when you somehow bought Duke Nukem Forever for $50.00 USD on Steam, despite it never having been listed at that price.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    Unless there was one time when you somehow bought Duke Nukem Forever for $50.00 USD on Steam, despite it never having been listed at that price.
    Going better than me. I managed to preorder that, and Brink, for $90 each in stores (:

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dispozition View Post
    Going better than me. I managed to preorder that, and Brink, for $90 each in stores (:
    Even Tak Fujii is shocked.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post

Unless there was one time when you somehow bought Duke Nukem Forever
    You could have just stopped here, makes the same point.