New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [Steam] Thread XXXIII: The only winning move is not to play

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddenwar View Post
    As far as I can tell Gone Home is the award winning universally acclaim, universally despised piece of garbage worst game of the year ever, based on on a casual internet look into it. So which is it? The game everyone hates to love or the game everyone loves to hate?Please don't just say "Yes"
    Gone Home's...interesting. I spent about 3 hours on it front to back. The first issue is that the replay value is exactly 0.

It's definitely a game in the same way To The Moon is a game: it's really all story. Anything that might qualify as a puzzle is pretty easily solved, there are no enemies or anything like that: it's just you, the house, and the things that have been left behind.

The interesting part is piecing together what's going on by examing what's lying around. The unfortunate part (for me at least) was that I was able to accurately guess what had happened in the main storyline (there is a main and two subs) almost immediately. It's painfully obvious where the main storyline is going once you recognize the signs. But still, the idea where you have to sift through what's been left behind and piece together what's going on is a good one and the experience here didn't disappoint in that regard.

Exploration is fun and it's cool that even though the only living thing in the house is you it still feels a little like a horror game. It can be downright creepy to explore the house: rooms are dark, most rooms are in complete disarray, there's a storm on...

I can't say I was disappointed, I like supporting experiments like this, but I can definitely see where some people probably got the wrong idea about what the game was about.

Spoiler: MAJOR story spoiler
    Show
    ...and I'd be lying if I said I didn't suspect that much of the hate leveled at the game has to do with the fact that the main storyline is about the main character's sister discovering she's homosexual.

But then again, having no faith in the gamer "community" will do that to someone...

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    Even Tak Fujii is shocked.
    Australian pricing *flitters away into the sunset with magic fingers*

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    You can rank this as your personal "Dumbest Decision/Mistake Ever On Steam."

Unless there was one time when you somehow bought Duke Nukem Forever for $50.00 USD on Steam, despite it never having been listed at that price.
    I bought the Collectors Edition ($60) of Hellgate: London... instead of the Orange Box.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Colossus in the Playground

Unless there was one time when you somehow bought Duke Nukem Forever for $50.00 USD on Steam, despite it never having been listed at that price.
    I bought Anno... what was it... 2050 something? When it came out. Never got it to run, despite trying on different computers that were connected to different networks.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Bought Skyrim and all the DLC

And my comp won't play it
    Chrono Crusade avi by Ceika.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Steam Profile

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Antonok View Post
    Bought Skyrim and all the DLC

And my comp won't play it
    Wow, really? I don't know much about computers, but mine's like 8 years old, has an outdated processor, and plays Skyrim fine. I mean, unless you're on a laptop, I can't see how it would be completely unplayable.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

(crossposting here and the General Gaming thread)

I picked up SimCity 4 from a flash sale; its always been my favorite of the SimCity series. I've heard that its somewhat buggy and unstable on newer OSs, though, and I'm running Windows 7. What are the best patches/mods for getting it running without issues?
    ithilanor on Steam.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Wow, really? I don't know much about computers, but mine's like 8 years old, has an outdated processor, and plays Skyrim fine. I mean, unless you're on a laptop, I can't see how it would be completely unplayable.
    My video card is hit and miss. Some games that it shouldn't be able to play, play perfectly. Other that it should play, don't play at all.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?

Steam Profile

9. - Top - End - #99

BlackDragon

My video card is hit and miss. Some games that it shouldn't be able to play, play perfectly. Other that it should play, don't play at all.
    That's not an internal Intel graphics chip, is it? If so, I recommend you replace it with a plug-in graphics card from nVidia or AMD--pretty much anything they offer would beat Intel, and would be more compatible with games.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    That's not an internal Intel graphics chip, is it? If so, I recommend you replace it with a plug-in graphics card from nVidia or AMD--pretty much anything they offer would beat Intel, and would be more compatible with games.
    Its an ATI Radeon 3000 integrated card. If this says anything, I can play fallout new vegas on medium/high graphics (as long as shadows are turned off), but skyrim won't run at all.

Been meaning to upgrade it, but something else always seems to pop up. Hoping I'll get a good tax check this year and be done with it.

Steam Profile

11. - Top - End - #101
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post

I picked up SimCity 4 from a flash sale; its always been my favorite of the SimCity series. I've heard that its somewhat buggy and unstable on newer OSs, though, and I'm running Windows 7. What are the best patches/mods for getting it running without issues?
    It works like a charm out of the box for me and I am using Win7 64bit.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

I know that feel. My old laptop can't play League of Legends, but has no trouble with Skyrim. Or at least it didn't back when I still used it to play Skyrim.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

13. - Top - End - #103

BlackDragon

Its an ATI Radeon 3000 integrated card. If this says anything, I can play fallout new vegas on medium/high graphics (as long as shadows are turned off), but skyrim won't run at all.
    A quick web search suggests it's possible to get Skyrim to run on that chip, but you have to install mods that remove some of the more advanced graphics features in order to do so--frankly, I think you'd be better off with a new card. (You could get a plug-in card that would outperform the integrated 3000 by a factor of 10 for about £50 or your local currency equivalent).

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    Frankly, you're better off just buying the items for the F2P games that you want to get, if that's your goal.
    Ahem. Double ahem.

And these 2 aren't even the most expensive things you can get from cards, far from it.
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post

I've picked it up as well, although won't be able to try playing it until late tomorrow.

Have you tried running it in compatibility mode?

16. - Top - End - #106

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Have you tried running it in compatibility mode?
    Sometimes SimCity4 will run OK in software mode but not in 3D accelerated mode, so it's worth trying that as well.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Orc in the Playground

(Trigger warning: numbers numbers math math math)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Ahem. Double ahem.

And these 2 aren't even the most expensive things you can get from cards, far from it.
    Yes ... but given that the drop rate on Precious-tier items is around one in six hundred (and each specific one is around 1/6000), if you're really that desperate for one, buying one outright is likely both cheaper and much more reliable. Even if you're getting cards for 15 cents apiece, $150 worth of snowglobe badges would only have a ~15.4% chance of outputting a Precious at all. Specifically getting the one you want is a tenth of that chance (1.5%). Kind of like TF2 Unusuals, then -- awesome when you uncrate one by sheer luck, but it's exceedingly unlikely you'll turn a profit by opening crates en masse.

The pattern continues all the way down to the Commons -- why spend $1.50 on the badge (for a ~1-in-15 shot at the item you actually want) when you could pick it up off the Market for under 50 cents?
    Tiamat avatar by Serpentine.

ECKS! DEE! EMM!
    Steam Profile

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Well, thing is, 150$ spent on badges is going to output a lot of items, that while in many cases will be a loss, in many cases will easily cover many more badges on even tier 2 item. People crunched the numbers and while for incidental opener it's very random, apparently if you have money you're going to profit. Take a look here:

Spoiler
    Show

Yup, that is hundred thousand XP points on badge level 1001:

And that is with today's prices, where everyone is trying to outbid each other. Remember history with 2011 TF2 festives? Anyone who invested would have made a fortune today. I dropped 2x DotA 2 common swords from the badges - these things have unique particles, I can't see demand for them going down in the long run.

Anyhow, I wonder who unboxed the Randolph. If it isn't guy above, the second unique hat in TF2 history probably ended up in the backpack of someone who doesn't play TF2, as it didn't surfaced after three days. Hearing the story "how I was scammed from four digit $ value item" if it ever happens is going to be so depressing
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Ahem. Double ahem.

Looking at how many are up for sale, you're more likely to spend that much money trying to craft them anyway . Those are slim, slim odds.

The Phased Ankyros in Warframe is selling for upwards of $300.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, I only crafted 3 snowglobe badges, and I got a rare!

Which is worth 3 cents.

Speaking of stupidly profitable items, wasn't there someone on one of the earlier Steam threads who said they got a Burning Team Captain unusual? Because I just found out there's only 6 of those in existence.

Sigh. Wish I'd held onto my Big Kill until after unusuals came out.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

21. - Top - End - #111
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Does anyone have an extra copy of Crusader Kings II floating around? Perhaps from the Paradox Humble Bundle?

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    Gone Home's...interesting. I spent about 3 hours on it front to back. The first issue is that the replay value is exactly 0.
    Just completed it myself and I pretty much agree with every word of this review.

In addition to Cristo Meyers' theory regarding the hate levelled at the game, I'd think it's also a substantial amount of buyer's remorse - I would be very hard pressed to recommend this at full price.
    I picked it up in the sale for £5.09, which I think is about the right price point for the amount of time invested (about 3 hours) and the replay value (none).
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2014-01-01 at 11:15 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

The problem with Gone Home is that it was hyped as something it isn't. Indie horror games are becoming quite popular thanks to Youtubers and Gone Home isn't one, even though it portrays itself as one. So people who went in expecting a chilling atmosphere or scares were left disappointed - and the people who praise the game are predominantly fans of stuff like Dear Esther, which barely registers as a game for most people.

So if you think of video gaming's potential as some form of high brow entertainment, if you prefer style over substance, you'll probably like Gone Home. Otherwise it's a waste of time.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Infernally Clay View Post
    So if you think of video gaming's potential as some form of high brow entertainment, if you prefer style over substance, you'll probably like Gone Home. Otherwise it's a waste of time.
    Or if you enjoy a good story. You don't have to be so derogatory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Regarding the Holiday Badge: anyone have a spare number 10? It's all I need for the badge. I have a couple #6's, #8's, #1's, and #3.

Names Tavar.
    Last edited by Tavar; 2014-01-01 at 01:07 PM.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

It's not letting me place my vote, but I'll keep that in mind in case it gives me a 10 when it does.

EDIT: Oh wait... one more vote before I get another card.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2014-01-01 at 01:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

The problem with Gone Home is that it was hyped as something it isn't. Indie horror games are becoming quite popular thanks to Youtubers and Gone Home isn't one, even though it portrays itself as one. So people who went in expecting a chilling atmosphere or scares were left disappointed - and the people who praise the game are predominantly fans of stuff like Dear Esther, which barely registers as a game for most people.

Alternatively, never listen to the hype and go into a game cold.

I missed all the hype so had no expectations going in aside from the trailer which doesn't mention any horror element (the launch trailer bills it as a 'story exploration video game') and I quite enjoyed it, my caveat of the price tag still withstanding.

While I can see some merit in the complaint of it not really being a game, describing it more accurately as an interactive fiction or a Visual Novel gives the completely wrong impression to non-western audiences.

Edit: On a completely different note, is anybody else finding it amusing that the YNAB budgeting software is now on sale in the last few days of the Christmas Sale?
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2014-01-01 at 01:31 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Valve does enjoy messing with us, doesn't it.

Also, anyone interested in/have Hammerwatch?
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Valve does enjoy messing with us, doesn't it.

Also, anyone interested in/have Hammerwatch?
    I do! Haven't gotten past Act 1 though... basic thoughts: micro-focused top-down ARPG, but I like it more than a Diablo-style game or an old Zelda game. Also, soundtrack is amazing.

Using a controller gives more fluid movement, but you can still only aim in eight directions...

Edit: ...Unless, of course, you go to controls and turn that off. >_<
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2014-01-01 at 04:52 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volatar View Post
    Or if you enjoy a good story. You don't have to be so derogatory.
    Seconded. It's a story-focused narrative, and a great example of why video games are an important medium; you couldn't tell this kind of story as a movie or book. To degrade it (and those who enjoyed it) as "high brow entertainment" as if to say it's only capable of being enjoyed by elitist snobs is unfair to those who simply enjoy a story over hacking people to bits.

That said, it's not my cup of tea, but if my coworkers (who play the likes of Ni No Kuni, League of Legends, Call of Duty, and every other kind of game) enjoy it, it's damn well capable of reaching a broader audience than what you're stereotyping.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.