New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default What I like about Erfworld

Now that Erfworld has had some time to get it's story in gear, I'm finding myself eager for each new page. I wanted to take some time to explain why and what specifically has engaged me, in part to thank the creators, and in part to see what other people like about it, too. In a nice, single thread where it's all easy to find. ;)

For me, it's:

1. Wanda. I'm a sucker for the "second in command" types that do all the dirty work and get things done but never get or ask for recognition. Especially in situations like hers, where the top of the management chain would sell everyone out in a second to save his skin. Wanda fascinates me because she's obviously in this for something that's larger than Stanley. What is that? In a sense, I feel like she's a tragic figure because she senses the hopelessness of the cause, yet fights to the end. I assume we'll learn more about her motivations as time goes on, and why she is so loyal.

2. Stanley. He's a terrible person and a delicious character. It's said the villains get the best lines, and though I don't know that Stanley is exactly a villain, he does at least have the standout dialog. It's the too-casual speech for his position, and his absolute inappropriately informal attitude that does it for me. I hate l337 sp3ak as much as the next person, but there's just something beautiful about his first line in the story having been "Yo." It's like watching episodes of The Office just with a different angle. He's a greedy child in an adult body.

3. The little things. Someone pointed out that the spells seem to involve one spoken word, and that is usually the name of a person that is somehow related to the effect of the spell. That's a unique touch. I know a lot of folks hated the orlies, but the idea of a physical embodiment of IM really got me. And the connections that have been build in the past two or three pages are having me review old pages for details I may have overlooked.

4. The artwork. But it's not just about the art. It's the way the art and the story are working together. One person commented that panel 7 of page 17, showing Wanda's face, was their favorite from that installment. I agree with them: that look on her face comes from the tension being built in the casting, and the pressures from Stanley placing such a heavy burden on her. The story made that artwork possible, and the art delivered the punch. And I don't know about the rest of you, but I could hear the background of that scene as the spell was building.

Many thanks to both Rob and Jamie for so generously creating this comic for us to enjoy. I am hooked. And grateful.
    Last edited by Sky_Schemer; 2007-01-18 at 01:07 PM.
    If you can read this you are too close.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: What I like about Erfworld

Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. and Agreed. Basically you summed up my reasons for why I like Erfworld. I would also include:

5. The intriguing build-up that is the plot. Because this is a novel provided in serial format, I wait in eager anticipation of each new installment so that I can catch the next glimpse of this world. And as much as the story allows for the amazing art, the incredible art allows for a story such as this. By creating a visually deep world, Jamie has allowed Rob to add layers of depth to his writing as well.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I like Wanda too. She's really well drawn in that she has a visual presence that matches her strong will and personality. She the most intelligent person I think I've seen in the comic so far and I appreicate those attributes in a woman.

It will be interesting to see how she develops as a character after this is all over (the finding of Parson).
    Sebastian Bux
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Posting may provoke attacks of opportunity

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Nice to see you on this thread Sebastian Bux. I hope you decide to comment more on what you like.

I like seeing how Rob's writing from Partially Clips carries over to this type of extended story. Stanley and Wanda seem to speak with the voices of many characters from the other strip.

I love the exuberance of everything in the comic - each word and pixel was chosen carefully and artfully for their pleasure and ours, each character is really going all out with whatever they are doing (even that poor little thing with a crush on Prince Ansom (Jillian?) at the end of page 8 - even she is totally into her ambivalence). It's a Monty Python movie with silliness packed into every frame.
    Last edited by PlugNPlay; 2007-01-19 at 12:35 AM. Reason: I'm not sure what to make of Jillian anymore...

5. - Top - End - #5

I think Jillian and Wanda are going to be extremely strong foils for each other. Both are powerful females and intelligent, but where Wanda finds her strength and neverending headaches in loyalty and service, Jillian is too independant and it gets her into trouble... ironic since Wanda is the one serving the incompetant leader.

You've hit the nail on the head in this argument. I also like that the world is bizarre, quirky, and often funny... but that this is not a centerpoint to the comic. It is not full of exposition about the quirky world, and I think it will become the case that we don't need to worry about the background world at all to enjoy the story. Of course right now at only 18 strips in, we have not much else to go on.
    "River" cancels eat: Food is problematic.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erk View Post
    I think Jillian and Wanda are going to be extremely strong foils for each other.
    Hmm... maybe it's just me, but they seem to be related somehow. I'm just making theory without facts, but on panel 5 of the page 8 Jillian looks almost like Wanda. And they both have their eyes half-closed all the time.

What i like in Erfworld (apart from the story and art) is the world itself. Kind of refreshing - sometimes its just about a single letter (like twolls and dwagons - sounds like pronounced by a small child, what suits the art... or art suits the names... or art and names suit each other) or a new name for an old thing (like uncroaked instead of undead), but it does make the difference.

And i allways knew that Flower Power is something more then just a phrase.

7. - Top - End - #7

NinjaGuy

Suit each other. Definently.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I like the fact that the intentionally humorous creatures and people (hippiemancers, crap golems, marbits) don't overwhelm the story in general. There are jokes, but there is also a larger story and purpose behind everything. Not that I mind the jokes, or anything.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know what it is about Erfworld that I like so much. There's the obvious things like the humour, the art, plot etc etc but there's also something that I can't quite describe. Call it the "feel".

The moment I knew that I'd love Erfworld was the very first panel of the first page. When I saw three Elvii creating the world I just knew I'd enjoy this. Its the same pervading humour or feel that runs through the comic and that I enjoy so much.
    The Omnians were a God-fearing people. They had a great deal to fear.
    -Terry Pratchett

10. - Top - End - #10
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I like that erfworld has a lot of very obvious jokes, but also many very subtle ones, on many different levels. Really, the whole comic is like someone telling you something completely absurd, which wouldn't normally be funny, but it is funny because they're telling it with a perfectly straight face.

erm...

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ditto to all.

I started reading thinking that Erfworld was going to be a standard fantasy comic with some great subtle humor to it. Even the cast page is hilarious. This new twist in the plot (not to mention that the onomatopoeia for Parson teleporting is "PLOT", which is brilliant) is really exciting. A loser from our world in a fantasy world: can life get better? I submit it cannot!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

The writing shows a playful diligence and a love for the slightly weird and obscure. The graphic artwork radiates with a strange beauty.

That is what I like about Erfworld.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

The art has grabbed me; this is a definite standout from the thousands of other webcomics out there. But I am hooked by the characters as well. This one looks like it will have mass appeal, even to those people outside the gaming hobby. I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes.

I'll also be plugging you guys on my podcast (its still rather small--about 500 listeners and growing, but I'll try to draw some people in nonetheless).

I'll definitely be following both of your careers. Good luck with this! And thank Schlock Mercenary for linking me here!