New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: The OotS Magic Compendium

Another perspective on the counterspell question:

I personally classify counterspells similarly to spontaneous healing spells from divine spellcasters..

For spontaneous healing, for the purposes of this project i think we don't care which memorized spell's energy was repurposed, i.e. what went in; we only care that a cure (or cause) wounds spell came out.

Even though the fine details and constraints are different for a counterspell, the overall effect is very similar: a memorized spell is effectively cast, in that its energy is spent. it just goes to effect B instead, and the effect is what we are interested in.

This analogy would be cleaner if there were an actual spell named counterspell, but from an empirical standpoint that spell might as well exist. At any rate, if one of the goals of this project is to aid research on how magic works in OOTS, I think treating counterspell as a spell in its own right (with due explanation) will best serve those who want to study it.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The OotS Spell Compendium

Quote Originally Posted by orrion View Post
    Actually, no. The first time V used Forcecage against the ABD, it was barred.

Xykon's Moderately Escapable Forcecage in panel 2.
    Excellent. I stand corrected. Will fix, thank you!
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

More Unknown Spell stuff.

First, all the instances of Paladin summoning are Spell-like Abilities. There's no real spell name. The level of the spell is 1/3 the Paladin's level and is classified as Conjuration.

586 is V casting Cone of Cold, a 5th level Wizard spell.

In 630, Qarr is talking about and using Teleport in the imagined scenes. He later tells Blackwing (during the fight with Z in the palace) that he can Teleport at will, and Teleport's description talks about maximum load allowance. While I'm at it, V is casting Dispel Magic on Qarr in panel 4 (it isn't listed yet).

662 is probably Inflict Critical Wounds, which is stated to be Tsukiko's "strongest negative energy spell" and has the same effect as when she uses it the first time she encounters Xykon here.

My guess in 663 is that Hinjo is using the Paladin ability Lay On Hands on O-Chul.

In 670, the elves are using the Teleport spell. It can't be a summon because Cloister doesn't block summons, and they're mentioned to be going in out of range of the Cloister spell.

I'd say in 730 that the Warlock is using the Supernatural Ability called Arcane Bolt from Pathfinder.

In 883, Durkon is using Planar Ally to summon the devil. Zz'dtri is using 2 spells: Planar Binding for the summon and also Magic Circle Against Evil.

I think that's all I can clarify for the misc. Unknown spells.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Format of Thread Conversation:

Are We Now Officially Listing Mentioned and Failed Spells?:

Yes. And since I didn't include them on my first scan of the comic, I'll need a lot of help compiling them!

Tables and Listings Format:

Okay, so let me establish this first-

My main goal is to have a listing of all the spells, and a reference to where each is mentioned/cast/ect. So the A-Z format in this goal works well for this goal, and any other projects on this thread would be based off of that list as a secondary project. So for instance, someone reveals a new spell that I missed in my first scan of the comic, I add it to the primary compendium, and then if I had another project (say which casters cast and when), I'd then add it there as well.

Tables are a great tool for compiling information, but as StChristian has pointed out, this thread list makes tables not able to contan all information in any single table. So that leaves us with forgoing them, or figuring out a way to split them.

If we split them, the smallest amount of tables possible is preferable. The more there are, the more ineffective they will be for an over all list. This is why I proposed if we do do tables, it would be down the middle in a Alphabetical 50/50 split. That way people can sort the two tables fairly easily. Still, that only ensures that the title of the spell are in the same order, and it detracts from other rearrangements within the table. I have a feeling that if we did a table, it would be more for organization than it would be for sorting in this case. For instance, a split table would pretty much give the same information that the current list has.

So, that leaves table to other smaller projects, such as caster uses. We could make a table for each caster, and put it in a lower post. We could have a simple tally table that lists each spell and how many times it has been attempted to be cast (failed or not). We can have a table with a tally for how many times a spell has been mentioned (but not cast). And so on. But it isn't viable to have a big old table for all the information as it is, because there's no way to put it all on one table. Even with abbreviations (which I'd prefer not to use) or link shorteners (which I'd prefer not to use). Both are just giving us more characters that we will eventually run out of, based on the fact that this comic will be continuing for awhile. Spells will continue to happen.

So, no tables for the list. That's unfortunate, but the fact of the matter.

Spoiler or Not Spoiler Converesation:

I've removed the spoilers as requested and lets see how people like it. I've backed up the post, so I can go back if needed. Formatting on the letters, or other ways of organizing the list such as having the page links vertical instead of horizantal would be helpful as well.

Describing the Spells Conversation:

If we go the route of just linking to the SRD, then I'm going to need someone else to assist with that project. The computer I do most of my work on has a filter that disallows that site, and that isn't going to change. Because some of the spells in this list are not from D & D, or variants of them, or play exactly by the rules, some of these spells will have descriptions on them. I like the suggestion that we link them to the existing reference, if by Giant or some such, but if we do that, then some spells will have descriptions, and some won't. I really want something uniform for everything...so would 1 to 2 sentence summary explinations for each spell be a viable compromise, so long as there is also a link to the SRD?

And some responces!

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyAnonymous View Post
    [*] the animate rope spell that Pompey casts in #342 is silent (silent spell is a metamagic feat) [*] under "Unknown", the burning effect in #906 is probably not a spell at all, Malack bursts into flames because of the sun
    What makes that silent? OH wait, he was gagged. D'oh. Good call.

And Nale appears Burned after he's done with Malack. I guess that the fire from Malack burning away injured him?

Thanks for all them contributions!
    In 440, the Death Knight is using Abyssal Blast, a once-a-day ability from Forgotten Realms.
    Is that a Monster Racial Ability? I'm not really familar with FR.

Thank you again for you contributions! The list from both you and rodney shortened it a lot.

More Unknown Spell stuff.

First, all the instances of Paladin summoning are Spell-like Abilities. There's no real spell name. The level of the spell is 1/3 the Paladin's level and is classified as Conjuration.
    Got rid of them, per consensus.

In 630, Qarr is talking about and using Teleport in the imagined scenes. He later tells Blackwing (during the fight with Z in the palace) that he can Teleport at will, and Teleport's description talks about maximum load allowance. While I'm at it, V is casting Dispel Magic on Qarr in panel 4 (it isn't listed yet).
    I have this update listed in Teleport and Dispel Magic.

662 is probably Inflict Critical Wounds, which is stated to be Tsukiko's "strongest negative energy spell" and has the same effect as when she uses it the first time she encounters Xykon here.
    Eh, sounds good to me.

My guess in 663 is that Hinjo is using the Paladin ability Lay On Hands on O-Chul.
    Added.

In 670, the elves are using the Teleport spell. It can't be a summon because Cloister doesn't block summons, and they're mentioned to be going in out of range of the Cloister spell.
    That was a copy and paste error. I meant it to be 672 for the Shark mount summon, which I've since gotten rid of for above reasons.

I'd say in 730 that the Warlock is using the Supernatural Ability called Arcane Bolt from Pathfinder.
    But isn't the comic in 3.5?

In 883, Durkon is using Planar Ally to summon the devil. Zz'dtri is using 2 spells: Planar Binding for the summon and also Magic Circle Against Evil.

I think that's all I can clarify for the misc. Unknown spells.
    Hmmmm, does the circle work for both Durkon and Z? The circles around both look the same. The only difference is the color, but that's just per caster, not per spell.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2013-12-26 at 01:29 PM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Is there some reason that he'd be using some Pathfinder ability and not eldritch blast, the Warlock class' main schtick?
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

6. - Top - End - #66

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post

Is that a Monster Racial Ability? I'm not really familar with FR.
    It's listed as an ability that is part of the Death Knight template.

But isn't the comic in 3.5?
    It's based on 3.5 rules. Doesn't mean it is restricted to 3.5 rules. Laurin's Wormhole, for example, is most certainly not a 3.5 ability.

Hmmmm, does the circle work for both Durkon and Z? The circles around both look the same. The only difference is the color, but that's just per caster, not per spell.
    Durkon doesn't need it. Z is using it because when you use Planar Binding the creature gets a chance to escape and you have to persuade it to help you. The Magic Circle is a way to prevent escape and trap it until it agrees.

With Planar Ally, the creature helps you in return for payment.

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Is there some reason that he'd be using some Pathfinder ability and not eldritch blast, the Warlock class' main schtick?
    Oh, right. I probably didn't search hard enough and got the Warlock from pathfinder instead of that one. Blast is equivalent to a first level spell.
    Last edited by orrion; 2013-12-26 at 02:00 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler or Not Spoiler Converesation:

I've removed the spoilers as requested and lets see how people like it. I've backed up the post, so I can go back if needed. Formatting on the letters, or other ways of organizing the list such as having the page links vertical instead of horizantal would be helpful as well.
    My first thought would be to make the letters bigger and centered.
    I would do something like the following (for the letters):

~~~U~~~

Unholy Blight

Unseal

~~~V~~~

Vaarsuvius’ Enhanced Scrying

Vaarsuvius’ Greater Animal Messenger

Vampiric Touch
    49 (mention)

Veil

Vitriolic Sphere
    795, 847, 848 (empowered)

~~~W~~~

Wall of Fire

Wall of Ice

Water Walk

Wild Shape - Druid Class Feature

Wind Walk

Wish
    49 (mention)

Word of Recall
    655, 827

Wormhole - All Psionic
    910, 915, 924, 925, 926, 934

~~~X~~~

Xykon's Moderately Escapable Forcecage

~~~Z~~~

Zone of Truth

I also removed the dashes because I don't like them (unless some text is following). It is also strange that you sometimes use "-" and sometimes "–" (maybe some shenanigans of the word processor you use? ).
    I think it is also better to put the Psionic in a different style than the actual spell, because it is more or less a spell detail, not a part of the spell name.
    Or if you want to do it, you imo need to distinguish other spells by it, too. For example Disintegrate and Disintegrate, Psionic are even different pages by the SRD [the one is a proper spell, the other a psionic power. The spells deals 2d6 per caster level (max 40d6), while the psionic power deals 22d6 but can be augmented to deal 2d6 extra per additional power point spent. All other details stay the same.]
    Personally I think to tread it as a modification of a spell (but it might even be better to drop it completely, because it rises the question why you don't add any information about whether something is Arcane or Divine).

If you want to make the links going vertical instead of horizontal you could simple use newlines instead of spaces . A imo better way would be to use tables (it would also add a more visual distinction between different spells). As I posted earlier I think tables for each spell (or at least some spells, maybe all spells casted more than X times) might be a good way to easily display more information (if you want to), too.

If we go the route of just linking to the SRD, then I'm going to need someone else to assist with that project. The computer I do most of my work on has a filter that disallows that site, and that isn't going to change. Because some of the spells in this list are not from D & D, or variants of them, or play exactly by the rules, some of these spells will have descriptions on them. I like the suggestion that we link them to the existing reference, if by Giant or some such, but if we do that, then some spells will have descriptions, and some won't. I really want something uniform for everything...so would 1 to 2 sentence summary explinations for each spell be a viable compromise, so long as there is also a link to the SRD?
    I personally would like the minimalistic approach to just use link for the descriptions, but if you want to add some text than that is imo your call to make. In addition you wouldn't need to think about what that description should be . I would have no problem to have no link for some spells either way. It also better reflect better that we simple don't know more about some spells/effect. Best recent example is Wormhole. We don't even know the level of the power. Pretty much the only information we have is that it is a psionic power that can be used to port stuff from one end to another - but I don't know for sure if you can pass it both ways or if you stuck to one or how big the range is. It is also quite possible to use it to port to unknown location, but I think we couldn't really say anything that is not known by reading a strip featuring it and its name without possible adding wrong stuff.

If you want to it should be easy easy to provide SRD links to the spells.
    I might post some of them down the line.

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

8. - Top - End - #68

1. a single link to http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/spells.htm seems like a good compromise
    2. the section labels "B" and "U" are not capitalized, and there are typos under "Counterspell" (missing space), Mass Death Ward (missing space and comma), Energy Immunity (missing space), Dimension Door (extra line break), and the [N] section label (several)
    3. I don't see a pattern in the use of the phrases Class Ability and Class Feature, as far as I know they are synonymous and only one should be used
    4. there is no spell or ability named escape... scare quotes again?: "Escape"
    5. teleport, greater teleport, and epic teleport are three different spells (perhaps teleport, greater and teleport, epic for alphabetization)
    6. dispel magic and greater dispel magic are two different spells (again probably dispel magic, greater for alphabetization)
    7. the last two disintegrate entries are "in the wrong order"
    8. the spell used to control Yakyak starting in #800 is probably dominate person, the question mark is not necessary
    9. in the entry for the (custom) spell mark of justice, the note (greater) is not necessary
    10. the Celestial tree sloth illusion in #805 is probably major image, not silent image (major image adds sound, smell, and heat to the illusion, which would make it much more convincing)... neither spell has a tactile component, perhaps it just looks like it is (but is not actually) touching Sabine
    11. dominate person in #917 is not mass dominate person (there is no such spell or ability), it is just used repeatedly
    12. Elan's animate rope spell in #156 is still
    13. Pompey's animate rope spell in #342 is still and silent
    14. the name of the spell in #427 is mass enlarge person
    15. the name of the spell in #831 is greater obscure object
    16. Malack uses his dominate person ability in #874
    17. there is another disintegrate (psionic) in #935
    18. the spell raise dead is mentioned in #370
    19. the spell holy word is mentioned in #806
    20. the spell magic mouth is mentioned in #809
    21. the spell true resurrection is mentioned (not by name, but Haley's description is specific enough to identify it for sure) in #579
    22. under "Unknown Spells", #193 is probably animate dead, which makes zombies and Xykon knows that spell (whereas raise dead is a type of resurrection)
    23. under "Unknown Spells", #494 is probably telekinetic force (psionic)
    24. under "Unknown Spells", more evidence that the burning effect in #906 is not a spell: Nale is scorched (he wouldn't be hit by a non-area spell he cast), Nale's known spell list is very short (and we never see him cast a fire spell), and the flames are already visible a few frames before Nale says "burn"
    25. under "Unknown Spells", the fire spells in #446, #453, #459, #507, and #518 are probably burning hands (and there is another one in #886, in the same frame as the forcecage)
    26. under "Unknown Spells", in #78 the frog illusion is probably silent image, and the bubble is probably resilient sphere (it looks similar to the effect in #935, and Xykon knows that spell)
    27. under "Unknown Spells", the Celestial lion illusion in #478 is probably major image
    28. under "Unknown Spells", in #883 the spell Zz'dtri casts is probably planar binding, and the spell Durkon casts (which he mentioned in #865 but left off the word "greater") is definitely greater planar ally
    Last edited by rodneyAnonymous; 2013-12-27 at 06:08 AM.
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

a single link to http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/spells.htm seems like a good compromise
    I don't think so. If I would go for a single rules reference I would point directly to d20srd.org. Since this covers more than only spells, I would need to do a manual search if I would search for something that is not a spell (like a Supernatural Ability, a Psionic Power or some random Class Feature).
    It also makes it impossible to distinguish between spells that are in the SRD and spells that are not in the SRD, which might turn into some awkward user experience if someone wants to look up some spell in that SRD link to find that said spell isn't in the SRD.

So I think it is better to either provide no reference at all or to provide a reference for each spell where a reference is available.

On messed up stuff: The "N"-separator is bugged.

Also I'm not sure if it is established what custom spells do, but in some cases it might be possible to add an reference that it is just a (or probably) rename, e. g. the Geekery thread assumes that Thor's Might is a renamed version of Righteous Might (with maybe changed domains, I'm not sure on that part, but I think there was something that is odd about some spells of Durkon's spells regarding domains).

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

10. - Top - End - #70

Yeah, the main page (www.d20srd.org) is fine. Though note you can Search for anything (such as class abilities) from the Spells page, I think that's better because it lists all of them (and this is 95% spells). My point was more "one reference link" and not where the link goes exactly, though. I think it'd be even better to have a different (specific) link every spell, but that is probably not compatible with the table suggestion.

On Durkon's spells: yeah Thor's lightning is probably lightning bolt in the (custom) Thor domain (the effects match, and Malack even calls it 3rd level in #873), but I don't know if that's certain.

I like the idea of giving a short description of a spell's effect, but coming up with a short summary of each spell and ability would be a lot of work. Fortunately, d20srd.org has a short-phrase summary of most spells: Sorcerer/Wizard Spells, Cleric Spells, Ranger Spells, and so on. Ironically, your filter blocks access to those summaries.

Here is a copy-pasted sample:

4th-Level Ranger Spells

Animal Growth: One animal/two levels doubles in size.
    Commune with Nature: Learn about terrain for 1 mile/level.
    Cure Serious Wounds: Cures 3d8 damage +1/level (max +15).
    Freedom of Movement: Subject moves normally despite impediments.
    Nondetection M: Hides subject from divination, scrying.
    Summon Nature’s Ally IV: Calls animal to fight for you.
    Tree Stride: Step from one tree to another far away.
    Many spells and abilities will not already have a short summary, but that is a big chunk of them.
    Last edited by rodneyAnonymous; 2013-12-27 at 01:10 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright! So I did a reformat of the "Spell" List which addressed many of the errors and concerns of some contributors. Most notably, I removed the spoilers of the A, B, C, so on, and changed it to one big spoiler for the whole thing. I've also made the numbers go vertically instead of horizantally, as well as changed the format of the Letters to make everything clear and categorized! Some of the issues were coding parallels, such as the lowercase b, i, s, and u, which when in [ - ]'s go lower case without some work arounds. Let me know your thoughts overall, and if I missed some further details.

(Some of the things you mentioned rodney I couldn't find, but I think some of it I addressed before I got to your post. Its been slow going to format with things like the holidays.)

Plans, such as separating class features from spells, and further formatting are still formulating. I'm thinking the short SRD summary might be as good as any, and a link to the SRD for each spell/feature might be best.

On Durkon's spells: yeah Thor's lightning is probably lightning bolt in the (custom) Thor domain (the effects match, and Malack even calls it 3rd level in #873), but I don't know if that's certain.
    So...I could do a:

Thor's Lightning - See Lightning Bolt

Thor's Might - See Righteous Might and list all instances in the actual spell?

1. there is no spell or ability named escape... scare quotes again?: "Escape"
    2. in the entry for the (custom) spell mark of justice, the note (greater) is not necessary
    3. under "Unknown Spells", the Celestial lion illusion in #478 is probably major image
    4. under "Unknown Spells", in #883 the spell Zz'dtri casts is probably planar binding, and the spell Durkon casts (which he mentioned in #865 but left off the word "greater") is definitely [I]greater planar ally
    1. Warranted, since we don't know if that's the actual name. I'll allow it. Though it could be that that's another original spell by the Giant.

2. Mark of Justice is named Greater in the comic, but I don't currently have the reference comic. I was pretty sure though that Mark of Justice isn't actually a custom spell. Its in the PHB...though might not act exactly like the spell in the PHB, but that's most spells in OotS.

3. A few people have been mentioning that there's also a "circle of protection against evil" cast there. What's your opinion?

World Building Projects:
    Magic

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

If you are including mentions then:

15 - Speak With Dead
    [CENTER]So You Wanna Be A DM? A Potentially Helpful Guide
    Truly wonderful avatar made by Cuthalion

13. - Top - End - #73
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sorry, but I notice the Break Enchantment in 800 is still missing...

Edit: Also, Invisibility and Greater Invisibility in #429.
    Last edited by Sniffnoy; 2013-12-27 at 04:17 PM.
    The Order of the Stick death pool thread -- place your bets! (Yes, it's still ongoing and maintained.)

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AKA_Bait View Post
    If you are including mentions then:

15 - Speak With Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniffnoy View Post
    Sorry, but I notice the Break Enchantment in 800 is still missing...

Edit: Also, Invisibility and Greater Invisibility in #429.
    Thanks folks! Added!

As well as the Class Abilities list!

World Building Projects:
    Magic

15. - Top - End - #75

1. re: "Mark of Justice is named Greater in the comic, but I don't currently have the reference comic. I was pretty sure though that Mark of Justice isn't actually a custom spell. Its in the PHB."
      You are correct, and the way it is listed now (Mark of Justice, Greater) is good. The spell in the comic is custom, though: the non-greater spell in the PHB doesn't require a passphrase to remove.
    2. re: "A few people have been mentioning that there's also a 'circle of protection against evil' cast [in #883]."
      Yes, I think that is correct. Zz'dtri would have also had to cast a spell like magic circle against evil to prevent his fiend from fleeing or attacking him, although the spell Durkon casts doesn't require extra precautions like that.
    3. re: "So...I could do a 'Thor's Lightning - See Lightning Bolt' or 'Thor's Might - See Righteous Might' and list all instances in the actual spell?"
      No, I would not change the way it already is (Thor's lightning is listed separately from lightning bolt), especially since we aren't absolutely sure it's the same spell, but maybe add a note like (renamed Lightning Bolt?) to the spell name header.
    4. the word "spell" is part of the name of Tsukiko's amazing wight-making spell, the header cuts off early
    5. the #429 invisibility is only mentioned (the spell effect that is actually in the comic is greater invisibility, Belkar initially identified the effect incorrectly, then revised it)
    6. the #579 true resurrection entry should have a (mention) note
    7. there is no teleport spell cast in #811, that is dimension door (which already has an entry)
    8. there is no teleport spell cast in #908, that is dimension door (which does not have an entry)
    9. should instances of an innate magic ability have an (ability) note? (For example, fiends using teleport in #630 #790 #797 #804 #821 #826 #827 #861 and #883, or vampires using dominate person in #874 and #917.)
    10. as above, but (scroll) (wand) and (staff) for spells cast that way?
    11. the entry for Recorded Illusion (?) should probably go in the "Unknown Spells" section... it may be a variation on magic mouth, which can totally be set up to trigger under certain circumstances, and is on the short list of spells that can be affected by a permanency spell... plus some kind of trap
    12. the entries for magic mouth in #324 and #564 have had the spell permanency cast on them, perhaps they should have a note such as (permanent)
    13. the Paladin class ability smite evil is still listed in the "Spells A-Z" section
    14. the Barbarian class ability "rage" is not magic, I don't think all class abilities should be listed here (that would be a really really long list), just magic ones
    Last edited by rodneyAnonymous; 2013-12-28 at 05:47 AM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

1. there is no teleport spell cast in #811, that is dimension door (which already has an entry)
    2. there is no teleport spell cast in #908, that is dimension door (which does not have an entry)
    3. should instances of an innate magic ability have an (ability) note? (For example, fiends using teleport in #630 #790 #797 #804 #821 #826 #827 #861 and #883, or vampires using dominate person in #874 and #917.)
    4. as above, but (scroll) (wand) and (staff) for spells cast that way?
    1 - 3. The first three things relate to each other, as Sabine uses teleport in 811, and Qarr uses it in 908. I guess we could say its an innate ability, but I'm more inclined to reference it, and later note it in other graphs of spell descriptions. That is, if I don't turn each letter into a table, and list it all together.

4. As for Scroll, Wand, and so on, I'm not sure. Perhaps someone else can weigh in?

1. the entry for Recorded Illusion (?) should probably go in the "Unknown Spells" section... it may be a variation on magic mouth, which can totally be set up to trigger under certain circumstances, and is on the short list of spells that can be affected by a permanency spell... plus some kind of trap
    2. the entries for magic mouth in #324 and #564 have had the spell permanency cast on them, perhaps they should have a note such as (permanent)
    1. Could be, but I'm going to refrain from adding it as such for now, as it could as likely be something else.

2. As for permanency, since it is its own spell, shouldn't we just list it as such?
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2014-01-02 at 02:34 PM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

So, folks, should teleports by the fiends and energy drains from sabine be counted in the compendium?

World Building Projects:
    Magic

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Update for 939

Regenerate

Restoration

Still trying to go through the comic to find mentions. I think I'm up to strip 140 at this point, but anyone else is welcome to assist.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2014-01-22 at 12:38 PM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

What do you folks think the spell that was cast by the wand was in 942?

World Building Projects:
    Magic

20. - Top - End - #80
    Colossus in the Playground

Sending. No real ambiguity; count Geoff's words each time he addresses Bozzok.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Halfling in the Playground

In 440, the Death Knight is using Abyssal Blast, a once-a-day ability from Forgotten Realms.
    Just to clarify, Abyssal Blast is a supernatural ability that comes with the Death Knight template in the Monster Manual 2:

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Manual II
    Abyssal Blast (Su): Once per day, a death knight can unleash
    a blast of eldritch fire. The blast fills a 20-foot-radius spread
    anywhere within a range of 400 feet + 40 feet per HD of the
    death knight. The blast deals 1d6 points of damage per HD of
    the death knight (maximum 20d6). Half of the damage is
    fire damage, but the rest results directly from divine power
    and is therefore not subject to being reduced by protection
    from elements (fire), fire shield (chill shield), or similar magic. A
    Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 death knight’s HD + death knight’s
    Charisma modifier) reduces the damage by half.
    Currently playing a 14th-level Summoner.
    Doodling the adventure as it goes on, in an immature and awful imitation of Rich Burlew's style.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sol_kanar View Post
    Just to clarify, Abyssal Blast is a supernatural ability that comes with the Death Knight template in the Monster Manual 2:
    This is great! I'll provide a link to that post for Abyssal Blast.

Question: since this is a supernatural ability, should I make a new list for all supernatural abilities? In that case, I could also list Qarr's teleports and Sabine's energy drain there...and possibly others. If not, I could just throw it into the spell list.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2014-01-30 at 09:50 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Alrighty, added 944 (mention) to Familicide.

Still deliberating on some of the other things that are listed above, if anyone would like to weigh in.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

So in 946, we've got the High Priest of Hel talking to Hel. It seems like he casts something in the strip...

I'm thinking Commune with Diety? Or something of the sort. Thoughts?

World Building Projects:
    Magic

25. - Top - End - #85
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Just one small tidbit on the table.

In http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0876.html it is noted as Malack using Divine Favor, when instead its Divine POWER.

Not much an error but figured I'd mention it.

26. - Top - End - #86

So in 946, we've got the High Priest of Hel talking to Hel. It seems like he casts something in the strip...

I'm thinking Commune with Diety? Or something of the sort. Thoughts?
    There is a spell commune, but it gets you one yes/no question. I don't think that's a spell effect.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

There is a spell commune, but it gets you one yes/no question. I don't think that's a spell effect.
    Hmmm...well the glowing hands ends as soon as Hel appears...I wonder what happened? Or if it was Hel doing it?

World Building Projects:
    Magic

28. - Top - End - #88

No, totally, but I mean I don't think it was a D&D spell.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Colossus in the Playground

There's a spell in Call of Cthulhu D20 (Contact Deity) which causes the deity to manifest to you.

Using the conversion rules for casting the spell in D&D games, it's 9th level though.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

30. - Top - End - #90
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The ABD casts Anti-magic Field in 636