New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The OotS Magic Compendium

Spell-like abilities currently listed as spells:
    1. Darkness: 181 is the young black dragon's darkness ability.
    2. Dominate Person: 874, 917, 857, 960, 968 are vampires using their dominate ability.
    3. Fear: 496 is the Eye of Fear and Flame using its fear ability.
    4. Fireball: 450, 455, 469 is the Eye of Fear and Flame using its fireball ability. In 468, Belkar mentions the EoFaF's fireball ability.
    5. Plane Shift: 380, 385, 637 are fiends using their plane shift ability.
    6. Teleport: 624 (failed), 630, 790, 797, 804, 811, 821, 826, 827, 861, 883, 908 are fiends using their greater teleport ability.

For "monster abilities", I recommend only including abilities that roughly duplicate spell effects.

Other:
    1. Currently 886 and 892 are listed as Phantasm. I think this should be "Microcosm" (with scare quotes, like "Escape" and "Counterspell", since we don't know what it is); the psionic power microcosm has a similar effect.
    2. Unlike other comments such as (empowered) and (mention), the (Psionic) comment is capitalized.
    3. Addition: plane shift (mention) in 669
    Last edited by rodneyAnonymous; 2015-01-26 at 02:29 AM.
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyAnonymous View Post
    Spell-like abilities currently listed as spells:
    1. Darkness: 181 is the young black dragon's darkness ability.
    2. Dominate Person: 874, 917, 857, 960, 968 are vampires using their dominate ability.
    3. Fear: 496 is the Eye of Fear and Flame using its fear ability.
    4. Fireball: 450, 455, 469 is the Eye of Fear and Flame using its fireball ability. In 468, Belkar mentions the EoFaF's fireball ability.
    5. Plane Shift: 380, 385, 637 are fiends using their plane shift ability.
    6. Teleport: 624 (failed), 630, 790, 797, 804, 811, 821, 826, 827, 861, 883, 908 are fiends using their greater teleport ability.

For "monster abilities", I recommend only including abilities that roughly duplicate spell effects.

Other:
    1. Currently 886 and 892 are listed as Phantasm. I think this should be "Microcosm" (with scare quotes, like "Escape" and "Counterspell", since we don't know what it is); the psionic power microcosm has a similar effect.
    2. Unlike other comments such as (empowered) and (mention), the (Psionic) comment is capitalized.
    3. Addition: plane shift (mention) in 669
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0842.html

This comic shows that "Phantasmagoria" was cast that day. Since all the spells listed as have been cast until the time where all the Draketooths were killed by V have been shown as still active (shifting maze, illusioned pyramid, ext) I'm going to assume that the word they use "Phantasm" as the OotS name for the spell until proven otherwise. Especially since we don't know if Girard could do Psionic stuff, and so the name might be misleading. It's basically an original spell, and its what the OotS call it, so that seems about as good as we can get.

As for Psionic spells, should I put those in the Abilities section? I'm thinking of just calling it "Abilities" instead of "Class, ect, ect Abilities".

The other clarifications have been added. What about Sabine's disguises? We'll also need to get the Death Knight and some other things in there, but that's a good start, thank you!
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Since we are putting abilities in there, should we start to go through and look for instances of evasion and raging and other things like that?

Peelee’s Lotsey

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Since we are putting abilities in there, should we start to go through and look for instances of evasion and raging and other things like that?
    I...that's a good question. I suppose so?

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

5. - Top - End - #185

On listing all class abilities: no, not IMO. This is a "magic compendium", not an "all abilities compendium". Everything listed is spell-like, Evasion (or Cleave, or Rage) is not. Only stuff that gets an OotS spell effect, like a dweomer/aura (or a teleport "pop", or a fireball, etc.), should be listed. In other words, abilities that roughly duplicate a spell effect or are otherwise "obviously magical" such as turn undead.

On the psionic powers question: also no IMO, powers are basically spells, not abilities. The difference between psionic powers and magic spells is similar to the difference between arcane magic and divine magic. (Although the latter overlap more. For example, a disintegrate from Vaarsuvius is exactly the same, besides caster level differences, as a disintegrate from Redcloak. Lauren's is a little different. Maybe there should be a separate Disintegrate (Psionic) entry in the spell list, some powers have one and others do not.)

On Phantasm: we can't be sure that's what Phantasmagoria referred to. Actually, we have good reasons to doubt that, because a) the spell came from the runes (like a trap, rather than like something that needs to be recast often), and b) probably only Girard (not his family) could cast it. At least scare quotes, "Phantasm"? (My issue is that's the name of a magic subschool, it's kinda weird to use it as the name of a specific spell. We don't know what the spell is called, besides Haley calling it "[Girard's] epic-level Final Boss Illusion".)

General:
    1. Undefined Fire Spells: 440 is a death knight using its abyssal blast ability.
    2. 57, 343, 794, 805 are a succubus using her energy drain ability.*
    3. 811?, 870, 931 are a vampire using its energy drain ability.** (811 gets a ? because it's not 100% clear that Malack is using both harm and energy drain; there are two magic auras, though...)
    4. 515, 830 are a wight using its energy drain ability.**
    5. 202, 208, 281, 560 are a paladin using her detect evil ability (they are currently listed as spells).
    6. There is no cure light wounds spell cast in 874.
    7. There is no mention of the detect evil spell in 353 (it should be listed as 363).
    8. Inflict Light Wounds: 873 should have a (quickened) note.
    9. Plane Shift: 380, 385, 637 should be removed from the spell list, they are on the ability list.
    10. Protection from Fire: 52, 799 should be listed under Protection from Energy, with a (fire) note.
    11. Undefined Spells: "78 (energy drain? harm?)" is animate dead (for sure, from SoD).
    12. Undefined Summon Spells: 584 is an imp using its summon devil ability.***
    13. Undefined Summon Spells: I don't see why 588 is listed, the only summoning that appears is Hinjo calling his paladin mount, and that is on the ability list.
    14. Undefined Lightning Spells: 37, 106, 259, 445, 446, 448, 458, 459, 516, 923 are probably lightning bolt (there are only three "electricity damage" core spells, and chain lightning does look different, and shocking grasp would look different).
    15. Lightning Bolt: I don't think 70 should be listed; in each case with Celia, we don't know if she is using the spell or ability, she might have both.
    16. There is no true seeing spell cast in 693.
    17. True Seeing: 819 shouldn't be listed I don't think, it's a permanent (not activated) effect from an item.

I agree with having (wand) (scroll) (staff) and (potion) comments! But they are applied inconsistently; here are a few missing ones:
    1. Cure Moderate Wounds: 970 already has a (mention) note; should it also have a (wand) note? There is precedent for one entry having two notes; e.g. Animate Rope 342 has both (still) and (silent).
    2. Cure Serious Wounds: 58 is from a scroll.
    3. Dismissal: 424 is from a scroll, 572 is from a wand.
    4. Drawmij’s Instant Summons: 679 is from a scroll.
    5. Enervation: 806, 810 are from a wand.
    6. Protection from Daylight: 929, 932 are from a staff. I don't think 962 should be listed at all, there are other possible explanations for why the staff is glowing.
    7. Sending: 258, 827 already have a (mention) note; should they also have a (scroll) note?
    8. Sending: 336, 337, 634, 865 are from a scroll, 942 is from a wand, 938 is a mentioned wand.
    9. Shrink Item: 790 is from a scroll.

* Succubi are supposed to only energy drain their target with a kiss or embrace, but apparently that is not true in OotS, for example 57.
    ** Vampires and wights are supposed to only energy drain their target when they hit with a slam attack, but apparently that is not true in OotS, for example 830.
    *** Imps aren't supposed to get that ability, but other devils do, and apparently they do in OotS.
    Last edited by rodneyAnonymous; 2015-01-28 at 05:56 AM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Wow, that's a lot of help, Rodney!

Ok, so we'll list magical abilities that aren't spells/powers; that makes sense. I also think we should put powers and spells together, though we should probably add a (Psionic) comment.

811 looks like an energy drain to me.
    For 819, perhaps we could say "True Seeing (ring)"?
    I think we should add (scroll) to 970, 258, and 827.

Peelee’s Lotsey

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

Thank you for all of this, Rodney!

On listing all class abilities: no, not IMO. This is a "magic compendium", not an "all abilities compendium". Everything listed is spell-like, Evasion (or Cleave, or Rage) is not. Only stuff that gets an OotS spell effect, like a dweomer/aura (or a teleport "pop", or a fireball, etc.), should be listed. In other words, abilities that roughly duplicate a spell effect or are otherwise "obviously magical" such as turn undead.
    These are good points. But Rage also give super strength and changes colors of outfits, and Evasion cause the person to "not take damage when everyone else does". What I'm saying is, they seem to have some effects, so drawing the line is sometimes hard. Not to mention they shout out the name of the feat for the most part when they use it, similar to spells, even if they don't have to (Yor).

On the psionic powers question: also no IMO, powers are basically spells, not abilities. The difference between psionic powers and magic spells is similar to the difference between arcane magic and divine magic. (Although the latter overlap more. For example, a disintegrate from Vaarsuvius is exactly the same, besides caster level differences, as a disintegrate from Redcloak. Lauren's is a little different. Maybe there should be a separate Disintegrate (Psionic) entry in the spell list, some powers have one and others do not.)
    Its hard to distinguish, but since we don't assign things for Divine or Arcane, I'd be inclined to just show Psionic as just what it is now, since it acts differently than normals spells, namely, that there are no verbal components, to the frustration of this thread, ) Though I may be able to be influenced to make it its own spell, given more input.

On Phantasm: we can't be sure that's what Phantasmagoria referred to. Actually, we have good reasons to doubt that, because a) the spell came from the runes (like a trap, rather than like something that needs to be recast often), and b) probably only Girard (not his family) could cast it. At least scare quotes, "Phantasm"? (My issue is that's the name of a magic subschool, it's kinda weird to use it as the name of a specific spell. We don't know what the spell is called, besides Haley calling it "[Girard's] epic-level Final Boss Illusion".)
    Good points. Perhaps it was even an illusion to cover the runes up, so there was no evidence of them. I'll do the quotes, though I might just go Microcosm.

General:
    1. Undefined Fire Spells: 440 is a death knight using its abyssal blast ability.
    2. 57, 343, 794, 805 are a succubus using her energy drain ability.*
    3. 811?, 870, 931 are a vampire using its energy drain ability.** (811 gets a ? because it's not 100% clear that Malack is using both harm and energy drain; there are two magic auras, though...)
    4. 515, 830 are a wight using its energy drain ability.**
    5. 202, 208, 281, 560 are a paladin using her detect evil ability (they are currently listed as spells).
    6. There is no cure light wounds spell cast in 874.
    7. There is no mention of the detect evil spell in 353 (it should be listed as 363).
    8. Inflict Light Wounds: 873 should have a (quickened) note.
    9. Plane Shift: 380, 385, 637 should be removed from the spell list, they are on the ability list.
    10. Protection from Fire: 52, 799 should be listed under Protection from Energy, with a (fire) note.
    11. Undefined Spells: "78 (energy drain? harm?)" is animate dead (for sure, from SoD).
    12. Undefined Summon Spells: 584 is an imp using its summon devil ability.***
    13. Undefined Summon Spells: I don't see why 588 is listed, the only summoning that appears is Hinjo calling his paladin mount, and that is on the ability list.
    14. Undefined Lightning Spells: 37, 106, 259, 445, 446, 448, 458, 459, 516, 923 are probably lightning bolt (there are only three "electricity damage" core spells, and chain lightning does look different, and shocking grasp would look different).
    15. Lightning Bolt: I don't think 70 should be listed; in each case with Celia, we don't know if she is using the spell or ability, she might have both.
    16. There is no true seeing spell cast in 693.
    17. True Seeing: 819 shouldn't be listed I don't think, it's a permanent (not activated) effect from an item.
    Call mount wasn't listed in the abilities section...but it is now!

True seeing is still visibly in effect in 693, so its listed. We list effects, castings, and mentions. Sometimes they are one and the same, and sometimes they aren't.

The ring of True Seeing has been listed as (ring) now, as it gives T the ability to see Nale, so it is in use. If you disagree, it's at least a mention.

I agree with having (wand) (scroll) (staff) and (potion) comments! But they are applied inconsistently; here are a few missing ones:
    1. Cure Moderate Wounds: 970 already has a (mention) note; should it also have a (wand) note? There is precedent for one entry having two notes; e.g. Animate Rope 342 has both (still) and (silent).
    2. Cure Serious Wounds: 58 is from a scroll.
    3. Dismissal: 424 is from a scroll, 572 is from a wand.
    4. Drawmij’s Instant Summons: 679 is from a scroll.
    5. Enervation: 806, 810 are from a wand.
    6. Protection from Daylight: 929, 932 are from a staff. I don't think 962 should be listed at all, there are other possible explanations for why the staff is glowing.
    7. Sending: 258, 827 already have a (mention) note; should they also have a (scroll) note?
    8. Sending: 336, 337, 634, 865 are from a scroll, 942 is from a wand, 938 is a mentioned wand.
    9. Shrink Item: 790 is from a scroll.

* Succubi are supposed to only energy drain their target with a kiss or embrace, but apparently that is not true in OotS, for example 57.
    ** Vampires and wights are supposed to only energy drain their target when they hit with a slam attack, but apparently that is not true in OotS, for example 830.
    *** Imps aren't supposed to get that ability, but other devils do, and apparently they do in OotS.
    Mentions only count as mentions, so it doesn't matter what the item is referring to that casts it, because they are actually in the end talking about the spell. And since it isn't being cast, it doesn't really matter in what form it is in. So anytime theres a mention, it gets rid of any other characteristics. That is unless it is later cast in the same strip, of course. Otherwise, I'm happy to denote as many characteristics as it calls for, whether it be a (wand) that is (quickened) and (empowered), or however it might go.

Wow, that's a lot of help, Rodney!

Ok, so we'll list magical abilities that aren't spells/powers; that makes sense. I also think we should put powers and spells together, though we should probably add a (Psionic) comment.
    Don't we do that already?

811 looks like an energy drain to me.
    For 819, perhaps we could say "True Seeing (ring)"?
    I think we should add (scroll) to 970, 258, and 827.
    What are you referencing for 970, 258, and 827 exactly?

World Building Projects:
    Magic

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Don't we do that already?
    Oops. My bad.

What are you referencing for 970, 258, and 827 exactly?
    Those are the ones that Rodney had referred to above. However, your point that we only count mentions as mentions is a good one.

Peelee’s Lotsey

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

Those are the ones that Rodney had referred to above. However, your point that we only count mentions as mentions is a good one.
    Ah, I see. Awesome, up to date then!

World Building Projects:
    Magic

10. - Top - End - #190

Ok, so we'll list magical abilities that aren't spells/powers; that makes sense.
    Is that a typo for "won't list"? Otherwise, it is the opposite of my point. Edit: Whoops, read that wrong.

These are good points. But Rage also give super strength and changes colors of outfits, and Evasion cause the person to "not take damage when everyone else does". What I'm saying is, they seem to have some effects, so drawing the line is sometimes hard. Not to mention they shout out the name of the feat for the most part when they use it, similar to spells, even if they don't have to (Yor).
    Drawing the line is not hard: only abilities that give a "magic aura" or some other kind of "magic visual effect". BTW, Rage does not change the color of outfits, only Thog's pants that one time because it's an Incredible Hulk joke; it's hard to tell when (say) Belkar rages. And no they don't shout the feat name, only Yor does that consistently. And feats (and class abilities that mimic them) are explicitly non-magic. In fact, it would be harder to list all class abilities than it would be to draw a line. It is a huge can of worms.

Though I may be able to be influenced to make [psionic powers] its own spell, given more input.
    Having given this more thought, I think psionic powers should definitely be listed as a separate spell in the spell list, like "Bear's Endurance" and "Mass Bear's Endurance" are (correctly) separate entries. For one thing, there are already separate entries for stuff like "Mind Blast (Psionic)" and "Telekinetic Force (Psionic)", when there is no similar arcane or divine spell. For another, "Disintegrate (Psionic)" is a different spell than "Disintegrate", same goes for "Dimension Door (Psionic)"/"Dimension Door", and so on.

I'll do the quotes, though I might just go "Microcosm". (quotation marks added)
    Perhaps the entry should be named "Final Boss Illusion" (with quotation marks).

True seeing is still visibly in effect in 693, so its listed.
    No it's not, that is arcane sight, which evidently has a similar visual effect.

The ring of True Seeing has been listed as (ring) now, as it gives T the ability to see Nale, so it is in use. If you disagree, it's at least a mention.
    The ring does not "cast the spell". It is not an active ability, it gives a passive bonus. This isn't a list of every instance of a flying character, it's a list of every instance of the fly spell being cast. I guess as a mention of true seeing, it's fine; that spell is also mentioned in 935.
    Last edited by rodneyAnonymous; 2015-01-29 at 05:07 AM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Is that a typo for "won't list"? Otherwise, it is the opposite of my point.
    I meant things that are magical in nature (SLAs, turning, etc.) that aren't spells/powers in addition to listing spells/powers.
    Last edited by Jaxzan Proditor; 2015-01-28 at 03:19 PM.

Peelee’s Lotsey

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

This comic shows that "Phantasmagoria" was cast that day. Since all the spells listed as have been cast until the time where all the Draketooths were killed by V have been shown as still active (shifting maze, illusioned pyramid, ext) I'm going to assume that the word they use "Phantasm" as the OotS name for the spell until proven otherwise. Especially since we don't know if Girard could do Psionic stuff, and so the name might be misleading. It's basically an original spell, and its what the OotS call it, so that seems about as good as we can get.

As for Psionic spells, should I put those in the Abilities section? I'm thinking of just calling it "Abilities" instead of "Class, ect, ect Abilities".
    Psionic Powers are pretty much just spells with a different name. They probably belong in the Magic section over the Abilities section.

Also, I agree that this should be referred to as Microcosm, since it pretty much has the exact same effect as that spell. Perhaps something like:

"Homebrewed Illusion Spell (possibly named Phantasmagoria) similar to the Psion Power Microcosm."

Also, where was the "Shifting Paths" spell shown?
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2015-01-28 at 05:11 PM.

13. - Top - End - #193

1. Call Mount*: 373, 472, 479, 672 (paladin ability)
    2. Shout: 830 is countered.
    3. Baleful Polymorph: 792 is countered.
    4. "Counterspell": 706**, 798***, 887***
    5. Dancing Lights: 706 (but see note below, perhaps 706 should be listed two or three times)
    6. I think the title of the second list should be just "Spell-like Abilities" or "Magic Abilities" instead of "Class, Racial, and Spell-like Abilities" (main header) and "Class Abilities" (spoiler header). Both class and monster abilities that are like spells are listed; that would be one word, instead of three, and be more accurate.
    7. Haste: in 925, Haley activates her boots of speed, which cast that spell.
    8. Dispel Psionics (Psionic): 929****
    9. Energy Drain: 398, 793 are more uses of the succubus energy drain ability.
    10. Shillelagh: 443 mention.
    11. Delay Poison: 443 mention.

* I think that should be named "Call Special Mount". (With quotation marks. There is not actually an ability named that; it is part of the Special Mount ability.)
    ** There are three dancing lights spells in this strip, but two of them are failed, and one of them is countered. Not sure how you want to handle that. One entry with two notes, or two entries with one note each? I vote two entries with one note each, like:
    Dancing Lights -
    706 (failed)
    706 (countered)
    ...or just one entry with (failed), and replace the existing (countered) notes with (failed). That works too. Or always have multiple entries for the same strip number when a spell is cast multiple times in the same strip; in that case, 706 would have three entries, two (failed) and one (countered).
    *** The spell name does not appear, but the only other times the "magic aura with gradient between two colors" visual effect appears, it is for counterspell.
    **** In 3.x, there is psionics-magic transparency, which treats psionic energy and magic as mutually and equally vulnerable to a dispel magic spell or a dispel psionics power.
    Last edited by rodneyAnonymous; 2015-02-04 at 05:28 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright folks! So now that I've completed the Transcription project (for the time being) I decided to cross check the compendium with spell names to see what mentions and spells I may have missed, and boy were there a lot! It was enough to bring me over the character count, so I split the alphabet down the middle and put the list into two posts, and bumped the other table into the reserved post. Let me know if you have any thoughts on the list below! As a note, this list is not completed, I got to the S's before I had to stop for today.

Spoiler: A whole lotta additions...
    Show

Strip 40

Restoration, Lesser (mention)

Strip 60

Fireball (mention), Fly (mention)

Strip 74

Fly (mention)

Strip 116

Detect Magic (mention)

Strip 175

Fireball (mention)

Strip 185

Baleful Polymorph (mention)

Strip 209

Fireball (mention)

Strip 220

Fireball (mention)

Strip 228

Spell & Paladin: Detect Evil (mention)

Strip 244

Remove Curse (mention)

Strip 295

Mark of Justice, Greater

Strip 304

Mark of Justice, Greater (mention)

Strip 310

Charm Person (mention)

Strip 340

Strip 373

Xykon's Moderately Escapable Forcecage (mention)

Strip 376

Xykon's Moderately Escapable Forcecage (mention)

Strip 393

Charm Person (failed)

Strip 397

Dispel Magic (mention)

Strip 399

Anti-Magic Field (mention)

Strip 404

Strip 406

Paladin: Detect Evil (mention)

Strip 408

Strip 420

Strip 428

Fireball (mention)

Strip 435

Strip 443

Feather Fall (mention), Meteor Swarm (mention)

Strip 445

Raise Dead (mention)

Strip 468

Strip 477

Earthquake

Strip 478

Invisibility (mention)

Strip 485

Feather Fall (mention)

Strip 496

Ressurection (mention)

Strip 505

Charm Monster

Strip 509

Charm Monster (mention)

Strip 515

Strip 521

Strip 522

Polymorph (mention)

Strip 523

Strip 524

Cure Light Wounds, Cure Moderate Wounds, Dispel Magic (mention)

Strip 526

Strip 529

Electric Orb (mention)

Strip 530

Charm Monster (mention), Meteor Swarm (mention), Plane Shift (mention), Ressurection (mention)

Strip 531

Cloister (mention), Ressurection (mention)

Strip 532

Dimension Door (mention), Plane Shift (mention)

Strip 569

Mark of Justice, Greater

Strip 570

Strip 571

Ressurection (mention)

Strip 574

Ressurection (mention)

Strip 579

Strip 581

Cloister (mention), Regenerate (mention)

Strip 584

Charm Monster (mention)

Strip 585

Bear’s Endurance, Mass

Strip 593

Neutralize Poison (mention)

Strip 599

Paladin: Detect Evil (mention)

Strip 602

Mark of Justice, Greater (mention), Regenerate (mention), Remove Curse (mention), Resurrection (mention)

Strip 603

Ressurection (mention)

Strip 629

Strip 638

Plane Shift

Strip 647

Cure Critical Wounds (mention), Dispel Magic, Greater (mention), Nuetralize Poison (mention)

Strip 649

Ressurection (mention)

Strip 654

Sunburt (mention)

Strip 655

Cloister (mention), Disintegrate

Strip 656

Plane Shift (mention)

Strip 662

Regenerate (mention)

Strip 666

Strip 669

Ressurection (mention)

Strip 670

Animate Dead (mention), Cloister (mention), Contingency (mention), Energy Drain (mention), Finger of Death (mention), Ghostform (mention), Hold Person, Mass (mention), Meteor Swarm (mention), Overland Flight (mention), Resilient Sphere (mention), Superb Dispelling (mention), Symbol of Insanity (mention), Symbol of Pain (mention)

Strip 697

Dispel Magic, Greater (mention)

Strip 703

Ressurection (mention)

Strip 713

Baleful Polymorph (mention)

Strip 767

Disguise Self (mention), Polymorph (mention)

Strip 774

Anti-Magic Field

Strip 806

Feather Fall (mention)

Strip 826

Polymorph (mention)

Strip 834

Plane Shift (mention)

Strip 845

Ressurection (mention)

Strip 865

Stoneskin (mention)

Strip 867

Meteor Swarm (mention)

Strip 871

Protection from Daylight (mention)

Strip 873

Death Ward, Mass (mention)

Strip 875

Cure Light Wounds, Hold Person (mention)

Strip 876

Death Ward, Mass (mention)

Strip 883

Vampire: Energy Drain (mention)

Strip 896

Passwall (mention)

Strip 908

Cure Moderate Wounds (mention)

Strip 911

Ressurection (mention)

Strip 917

Restoration, Lesser (mention)

Strip 920

Fly (mention)

Strip 927

Disintegrate (mention)

Strip 935

Invisibility (mention)

Strip 956

Identify (mention)

Strip 969

Charm Person (mention)

Memory Charm mention in 329? 566? 572
    Charm mention in 877?
    Harm - Huecuva 453?
    Poison - Huecuva 453

This list is not complete, and does not include any that have a * next to the name in the list, or the above post from rodney.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2015-02-10 at 11:09 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

Upon review of the thread chat from the last 10 months, I've discovered that I've made calls that contradict each other. I've thought about it and here is the calls I'm going to make regarding some things that were recently asked -

Do we annotate the item if a spell is mentioned in regards to an item, such as a Potion of Heroism or a Wand of Obscuring Mist?

Yes. For these examples, it would appear like this:

Heroism -
    135 (potion) (mention)

Obscuring Mist -
    971 (wand) (mention)
    I apologize for the confusion (especially Rodney).

What do we do for lasting effects from an already cast spell, such as Overland Flight, or Shapechange?

Spells are shown several different ways in this comic. Spells are (mention)ed, spells are cast, and spells are ongoing. I think for the sake of ease, leaving it blank for times spells are cast is the way to go, and anything special that go along with it is in parenthesis. So right now we have a few categories -

Spell Condition

(mention), (failed), (countered),

Metamagic Alterations

(quickened), (maximized), (still), (silent), (empowered), (extended), (ect)

Spell Item

(wand), (staff), (boots), (potion), (scroll), (ring), (ect)

Elemental Spell distinction

(acid), (fire), (ect)
    I propose we use another category to designate spells we did not see cast but we see the effects of. My suggestion is either (ongoing) or (effect), or maybe you guys have a better suggestion.

List
    • Call Mount*: 373, 472, 479, 672 (paladin ability) - Added
    • Shout: 830 is countered. - edited.
    • Baleful Polymorph: 792 is countered. - edited
    • "Counterspell": 706**, 798***, 887*** - 706 was in there, edited in the other two. Good catch.
    • I think the title of the second list should be just "Spell-like Abilities" or "Magic Abilities" instead of "Class, Racial, and Spell-like Abilities" (main header) and "Class Abilities" (spoiler header). Both class and monster abilities that are like spells are listed; that would be one word, instead of three, and be more accurate. - I agree, changed.
    • Haste: in 925, Haley activates her boots of speed, which cast that spell. - added, with the annotation of (boots)
    • Dispel Psionics (Psionic): 929**** - Added Dispel Psionics, added 929 and 935 and removed the redundant (Psionic)'s
    • Energy Drain: 398, 793 are more uses of the succubus energy drain ability. - added.
    • Shillelagh: 443 mention. - added, annotated (potion) (mention)
    • Delay Poison: 443 mention. - added, annotated (potion) (mention)

* I think that should be named "Call Special Mount". (With quotation marks. There is not actually an ability named that; it is part of the Special Mount ability.) - Agreed

*** The spell name does not appear, but the only other times the "magic aura with gradient between two colors" visual effect appears, it is for counterspell. - Good catch

• Dancing Lights: 706 (but see note below, perhaps 706 should be listed two or three times)

** There are three dancing lights spells in this strip, but two of them are failed, and one of them is countered. Not sure how you want to handle that. One entry with two notes, or two entries with one note each? I vote two entries with one note each, like:

...or just one entry with (failed), and replace the existing (countered) notes with (failed). That works too. Or always have multiple entries for the same strip number when a spell is cast multiple times in the same strip; in that case, 706 would have three entries, two (failed) and one (countered).
    This is a good question. I'm not sure. If I it multiple times, it seems redundent to have it listed twice as the same thing. Perhaps I should designate it as:

Dancing Lights -
    706 (failed, x2)
    706 (countered)
    What do you think?
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2015-02-19 at 07:23 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

16. - Top - End - #196

Sure.

Also I think psionic powers should be listed as separate spells, rather than (Psionic) being a condition, for reasons already stated.

Why the change to adding (scroll) and etc to (mention)? Your argument for not doing that seemed strong.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

Strip 975
    Fly (wand)

Sure.

Also I think psionic powers should be listed as separate spells, rather than (Psionic) being a condition, for reasons already stated.

Why the change to adding (scroll) and etc to (mention)? Your argument for not doing that seemed strong.
    Yeah, I think I'll do that for Psionic spells. Its looking more and more like it'll just be easier in the long run that way.

So you're good with putting an "ongoing" or "effect" on examples of spells? Do you have any opinion on which would be good?

And I've changed my mind on mentions mostly because I'd already listed things as (potion) (mention) before making that decision, and some people might be interested in seeing how many things are under items. It might as well be that the more information the better, for a project such as this.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2015-02-13 at 10:01 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

18. - Top - End - #198

Flumph

Guidance 867

Error: Stoneskin (mention) on 865 should be 867

Planar Ally on 865 should probably be a (mention) since he didn't actually cast it.
    Last edited by dtilque; 2015-02-18 at 04:13 AM.
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
    Guidance 867

Error: Stoneskin (mention) on 865 should be 867

Planar Ally on 865 should probably be a (mention) since he didn't actually cast it.
    Fixed Stoneskin, added Guidance, but Planar ally, even though not actually cast, is depicted as being cast, so it stays without the (mention).

World Building Projects:
    Magic

20. - Top - End - #200

Flumph

Fixed Stoneskin,
    You forgot to change the link, though.

Planar ally, even though not actually cast, is depicted as being cast, so it stays without the (mention).
    Fair enough. I assume you handled spells cast within the illusion the same, then.

Another addition: in panel 6 strip 925, Miron has some sort of defensive spell active. It deflects one of Haley's arrows, although two other arrows are not blocked. There was discussion at the time that this was probably Shield.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
    You forgot to change the link, though.
    D'oh. Fixed.

Fair enough. I assume you handled spells cast within the illusion the same, then.

Another addition: in panel 6 strip 925, Miron has some sort of defensive spell active. It deflects one of Haley's arrows, although two other arrows are not blocked. There was discussion at the time that this was probably Shield.
    I did, yes. Though I still need to go through for "ongoing effects". Still don't have a shorter name for it other than "ongoing" or "effect", neither of which I'm completely sold on. Perhaps if you guys like one of them, or have an idea for another, that would help.

The spell on Miron looks more like Protection from Arrows, or at least the one Samantha cast in the woody forest arc. Shield generally looks like a dome in front of the person, and we saw a pretty recent one within the pyramid which Z had cast. I put it in the unknown section for now, but if you can give me some stuff in regards to why its shield, I can always move it.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

22. - Top - End - #202

Flumph

The spell on Miron looks more like Protection from Arrows, or at least the one Samantha cast in the woody forest arc. Shield generally looks like a dome in front of the person, and we saw a pretty recent one within the pyramid which Z had cast. I put it in the unknown section for now, but if you can give me some stuff in regards to why its shield, I can always move it.
    The art's changed a lot since #166. More recently (as in, only a few strips earlier), Belkar had Protection from Arrows cast on him in 919. In 920, an arrow just bounces off his head. No shield or other effect. So it's very unlikely to be PfAs.

I don't recall any special arguments about why it was Shield. But I don't have time right now to go back to the discussion for #925 and see if anyone had anything significant to say.

23. - Top - End - #203

Another reason it can't be protection from arrows: that spell grants damage reduction 10/magic against ranged weapons, which means arrows fired from a magic bow are not affected by that spell.

Also, the true resurrection entry under R should be deleted. It is also (correctly, IMO) listed under T.
    Last edited by rodneyAnonymous; 2015-02-19 at 07:24 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

Another reason it can't be protection from arrows: that spell grants damage reduction 10/magic against ranged weapons, which means arrows fired from a magic bow are not affected by that spell.

Also, the true resurrection entry under R should be deleted. It is also (correctly, IMO) listed under T.
    Fixed True Resurrection. I'm not sure what happened there.

Good point on the PfA.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

Strip 979
    Haste (boots)

Strip 980
    Teleport

World Building Projects:
    Magic

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

Strip 981
    A the runes say "this spell blocks heat" - Protection from Fire? What do you folks think?

Strip 982
    Resurrection (mention)
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2015-05-04 at 06:30 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

Strip 985
    Cure Minor Wounds

World Building Projects:
    Magic

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

Strip 987
    Raise Dead (mention),
    Resurrection (mention),
    Teleport (orb)(mention),
    Wind Walk (scroll)(mention)
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2015-05-22 at 06:41 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

Strip 989
    Teleport (Orb)(mention)

Strip 990
    Protection from Daylight (mention)
    Ressurection (mention)

Strip 991
    Flaming Weapons?

Strip 994
    Circle of Truth

Strip 995
    Silence
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2015-08-05 at 01:18 PM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

Strip 996
    Silence
    Protection from Evil (clasp)

World Building Projects:
    Magic