New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous: The Worldwound Incursion

Karsten doesn't know anything about the symbol, but all the talk of a conspiracy weighs on his mind. If the men down here were honest Crusaders, they should be aided, regrouped, and returned to the surface. They would all be needed. But if they weren't... Well, Karsten hated the thought of not knowing whether a man wearing the symbol of Iomedae was friend or foe.

After enjoying Astias' performance, he decides to find Aravashnial and ask him what he made of all this. He would describe the bat-and-mushroom insignia to him as well, maybe the Wizard would know of its significance.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Udo

Under normal circumstances, Udo would've been ashamed just to be in the vicinity of someone singing, much less singing about something he'd been involved in. At the moment though, the little druid is simply transfixed by a nearby patch of glowing fungus, apparently too fascinated by their existence to even notice Astias singing just a few steps away. It isn't until after the bard's audience applauds that he finally snaps out of his reverie, "Sorry! Er, ehm...Well done. Got a bit, ah, distracted, by the walls." He reverently waves a hand over the stretch of fungus, being careful not to touch it, "I know a few druids who'd have loved to see this. I love seeing this and I didn't even know I wanted to."

He nods along with Tefkros's recommendations, "Additional supplies would also be good. Personally, I'd like to pick up a new weapon so I don't feel so left out. Reaching the surface is our priority, but we need to be prepared for anything when we get there."

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

It isn't long before Astias' performance has an effect, and a fairly notable one, as the inhabitants of Neathholm begin to emerge from their homes and from around corners, gathering in ones and twos to listed to the Bard sing. By the time he is finished, it seems the entire population of the town is standing and listening, including a scowling and rather impatient looking Horgus Gwerm, clearly unable to do any trading by virtue of having nobody left to trade with. As Astias finishes, you can hear the sound of a throat clearing from behind you, and turning around you realize that in the intervening time the doors to the Chief's chambers have opened and an old-looking Mongrelman stands in front of them, his form perhaps even more hideous than any of the others. Chief Sull is cursed with an obese, rat-like face with crooked, ill-matched teeth and one milky-white eye which is in all likelihood blind, though the other seems to function well enough, beady and rodent-like though it is. Still, when he speaks it is with the force of wisdom and experience, if marred slightly by a gravelly rumble that accompanies it.

"Thank you, my boy, for that. It has been far too long since real music could be heard in our homes. None of our people have ever demonstrated a true talent with song, and the founders of our community were a hard and battle-worn people; we have no instruments, nor any artisans capable of making them. Still, the content of your song chills my heart. Has what you speak of truly come to pass?"

Gann responds, nodding with respect to the old Mongrel. "Chief Sull, this is the same story they told me, after they helped us save Crel from the ruins of our tower. It would seem that the quakes were the result of some sort of Demonic attack on Kenabres Above."

At this, another Mongrel cries out, this one wearing a breastplate and carrying a sheathed scimitar at his side. It seems that the armour bears the flame symbol of Sarenrae. "Chief, we cannot allow this to stand! If the Crusade fails, the sacrifices of our Ancestors will have been for nothing. We must fight back against the Demons!" Many of the other Mongrels shout their own agreement with this, and the Chief is not slow to respond.

"Malagis, you know that none would love to see the Demons driven back to the Abyss more than I, but rushing to battle would be as useless as is rash. How would the Crusaders react to seeing creatures such as us on the battlefield? They would assume us minions of the Demons and attack us, and we would do more harm than good. We must be intelligent in our response." He returns his attention to your group, coughing momentarily. "We will gather our warriors and march to Kenabres' aid, uplanders, but we will need your help as well. Would you be willing to deliver a message from us to whoever leads the Crusaders above, explaining our nature and our presence?"

When he sees the brooch held in Astias' hand, the Chief blinks in surprise and what seems, momentarily, like fear, and it is clear that he recognizes it in an instant. For a moment it looks like he will ask you about it, but stops himself and waits for your answer to the more important question.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

Tephkros

Tephkros starts to watch the performance indifferently, even with a smirk in his mouth. He was not a cultured man. But his smirk becomes astonishment, as he sees the result. Unwittingly, he lights his pipe, trying to fathom what happens,

Well, well, well. Isn't that something.

When the chief speaks, Tephcros catches the look of recognition but says nothing, hoping the others saw it too. The situation is too delicate for an old sinner with a big mouth to wade in. He can only hope that the bard and his more holy companions have the presence of mind to do what is right.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

As the crowd gathers, yet another another honest smile comes to the performer: Be it the feeling of this place being a home, the true joy with which the mongrelfolk were listening to the music, or the empathy among cursed people, Astias felt truly happy (and the attention did not hurt).

When the song is over the party meets the Chieftain, the arcane duelist bows to the leader.

"It would be an honor to carry your message" says the bard with unusual gravity "And among us there are people of great repute among the Crusaders who can act as witness of how you have shown nothing but good faith and courage."

With the promise over, Astias goes back to his usual cheerful self.

"Chief Skull, I'm dying to ask you about your people and your Ancestors, maybe even making a ballad out of it, but I see that you have preempted my next question." says the bard lifting the pendant

"Does this brooch mean anything to you? We found it among a pile of bones in the caves. "

My PbP characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Caelon Ismort, lvl 6 paladin, Kingmaker (Part II)

Gael, lvl 3 sorcerer, Serpent Skull

Ril, lvl 3 ninja, Jade Regent

Raigard, lvl 4 alchemist, Rise of the Runelords

Astias, lvl 3 human bard, Wrath of the Righteous

Retired Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Rennard Balmont, lvl 9 magus Curse of the Crimson Throne (Parts I-IV)
    LIX (lvl 7 minotaur psychic warrior), Fall of the Dragon King
    Revelc, lvl 4 ranger, Origin of Species

gg, N_R

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Udo

"If I might also offer a suggestion," the Grippli clears his throat, emitting a sound not entirely unlike a croak, "One of you should come with us to the surface. We could use the help, but it would also, I think, lend your message more weight in the eyes of the Crusade. To see one of you fighting alongside us against whatever may come." He scans the crowd, "Your actions will speak louder than our words."

7. - Top - End - #217
    Orc in the Playground

Idranel

For a long while now, the stoic elf had been silent. Padding along near the group with an expression of intense thought on her delicate features. She barely seemed to react to the fallen crusaders, nor the entrance into the Mongrelmen's home, and it is not until after Astias' song brought on an uncomfortable crowd, and the arrival of the chieftain that the Magi found herself wishing to speak again.

"Perhaps we should speak in private. Lest we disturb the villagers..." It was obvious by the woman's tone that she was more interested in escaping the eyes of the locals than anything however. Though she nods in fervent agreement to Udo's words.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

When Udo makes his suggestion, Sull seems to consider for a moment before replying. "While I am certain that I could find a volunteer for such a mission, I must wonder at the wisdom of such a course of action. By your own words, the city is under attack by a demonic invasion force. My people's exile is, for the most part, the result of our appearance. Should one of us accompany you initially, you may be faced with more hostility than necessary. Especially if your suppositions of infiltrators among the Crusades are correct, you may find yourselves beset by both agents of the Worldwound and the defenders of Kenabres. Are you certain the benefit of such a course would outweigh the risk?"

In response to Astias' question, the Chief frowns again and hesitates for a moment before replying. "Yes, I do. It was my father's, long ago, and then mine. Three weeks ago, my son took it with him when he left for the deeper roads. We had... Quarreled, for quite some time beforehand. I would ask that you tell me where you found it." Even as he responds, many of the Mongrelfolk who had gathered to watch begin to disperse, clearly unwilling to intrude upon this particular conversation, though Gann and the one called Malagis remain.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

A knot of anguish forms at the pit of Astias stomach upon hearing the origins of the brooch. He considers saying that the group merely find the trinket, but that would be giving the man false hope, and the cursed bard knew first hand that false hope could be worse than a terrible truth.

But that did not mean that the storyteller could not try to soften the blow.

"I am sorry, Chief. We found this among remains near a poisonous viper nest." says the arcane duelist solemnly "Besides the bones holding the brooch, there lay almost a score of dead poisonous vipers, one of them the size of a dwarf. By the time we stumbled upon the nest, only two of the creatures remained. If it had not been for your son's bravery, I do not think we would have been able to overcome that obstacle."

The bard extends the trinket to the Chief

"You should keep this, both as the rightful owner, the victim's father and the village Chief. Your son made you and your people proud. If any good comes to Kenabres out of our actions, it will be also thanks to his sacrifice."

Action
    Spoiler
    Show
    Give brooch back and bluff, bluff, bluff, bluff my life away! (hopefully this is a low DC since it is mostly the truth, with a sprinkle of "you want to believe this")
    bluff - (1d20+2)[5]

My PbP characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Retired Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

gg, N_R

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Udo

"I can't be certain of anything that has yet to happen," he shrugs, "I'm not the 'seer' type. No matter how much I may wish otherwise." The events of the day flickered through his mind once more, a small frown briefly crosses his face, only to be shaken off as the grippli gathers his thoughts.

"However, I do think this will work. The crusades accept all kinds now, even tieflings. I do not believe those in command can afford to deny help, whatever form it may take. Especially now." Udo nods, "Your appearance should be last thing on their mind once it's apparent we share the same goal."

Udo nervously looks off to a patch of fungus in the distance next to the chief's head, if his skin had pigment his face would be turning red, "And I mean no offense by this but I don't think we could...do your description justice with words. One look is worth a thousand words."

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

As soon as it seems you haven't been deterred by Sull's argument, the man named Malaqis immediately speaks up, his words still rendered difficult to understand by a mouth better suited to a wolf than a man. "I will go, Chief! Let me show the damned Demons what we're made of!"

The Chief's reply is quiet, but forceful. "No, Malaqis, you will be needed to lead our warriors to the surface. I am well past my days as a fighter; you must act in my stead. Gann, would you be willing to undertake this mission? You are most familiar with these people, and if necessary your features are easier to conceal than most."

Gann nods solemnly. "Yes, Chief. I will prepare to leave with them in the morning." With nothing more to say on this front, the Chief dismisses both men and turns around, walking slowly into the open doors to the hall and beckons to you to follow.

"There is no need to lie to me, young man. My son was no weakling, but he was no legendary fighter either. A dozen snakes would have been far beyond him. I..." Finally, out of sight of his people, the bloated old Mongrelman breaks down and begins to sob to himself. "Oh, I had feared this, but still I held out hope. Still, I thank you for the news. Certainty is always better than doubt, even if the news is sorrowful." He turns towards one of the walls, still fighting back tears, and walks to it. It seems to be some sort of weapon rack, a suit of fine chainmail armour displayed alongside a mace of some sort and a bow. "My grandfather's arms. Used after him by my father, and then myself. I had hoped someday to pass them along to Sokar, but it seems that hope is beyond possibility. Please, choose one and take it as reward for bringing me this news. You will find good use for it in the coming days, I think."

Spoiler: Choices
    Show

Unless you have anything else to say to Chief Sull, we can skip forwards now to your departure on the following morning.

For your reward from the Chief, you have the choice of:
    A +1 Cold Iron Morningstar
    A +1 Composite Longbow (Strength +2)
    A +1 Mithril Chain Shirt

In addition, Neathholm is a settlement, and does have items available to trade as well as money with which to purchase things. If there's anything you'd like to sell or purchase you can do it here, though access to magic items is somewhat restricted. Finally, Malaqis is a Cleric, albeit not a very powerful one, and offers to heal you to full HP before you rest, though he is incapable of repairing ability damage or similar.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

Tefkros

Tefkros watched the exchange silently. The sight of the old king made his usually debonair face to soften in sympathy, if only momentarily. With a glance at the others, he picks up the bow. He spends some seconds expertly testing it. He then turns to the king.

"I am hunter, Chief of the Neathholm. I have been an evil man and I was given a second chance to do better. With your blessing, I will claim this bow and wield it in your son 's memory. I intend to slay many fiends with it. Your family 's honor will be served with each arrow. This, I can promise. Allies are hard to find, but I, for one, am glad that in this darkness, I met them.

And if everything goes well, I intend to bring this bow back and tell you the deeds it was part of. "

13. - Top - End - #223
    Orc in the Playground

Idranel

The normally stoic elf's dour expression faltered as the old man mourned his son. She found herself looking away, unsure of how to offer comfort, though wishing that she could. Finally, Tefkros spoke, and she found herself looking at the ranger with a tinge of admiration as he swore to use the old chief's bow to avenge the young man.

"We will not fail." She said, simple as ever, though with an iron edge of certainty.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

Astias

The bard blushes a little as his lie is found out, but mostly his face is one of empathy towards the Chief and his grief. He disliked having brought pain to the old soul, but he was glad to see that both human and mogrelman were in agreement that it was better to know than not to know.

When Tefkros takes the bow and makes his oath, Astias looks at the ranger and gives him a small nod of appreciation, followed by his own attempt at making the Chief feel better.

"I do not know what your customs are for taking care of your departed, but if you are willing to hold some sort of ceremony while we gather our strength and supplies for the trip, I could sing a requitem in his honor" offers the arcane duelist, having learned different burying rites in his travels.

My PbP characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Retired Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

gg, N_R

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

Karsten reflexively winced at the reaction to Astias' story. Embellishment was one thing, but that was... well, damn, man. He didn't really know what to add to the conversation, so he kept his peace for now.

Spoiler
    Show

Karsten will take up the Chief on his offer to heal the party, and he will use his last daily use of Lay on Hands if the Chief isn't quite able to heal someone to full: (1d6)[1]

He will also suggest that the party leave behind some of the mundane equipment like weapons and armor that nobody will use, or at least sell or barter it. The Mongrelfolk will have need of it in the coming days, and it would only weigh the party down for the journey up to the surface.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

The Chief seems heartened by Tefkros' declaration, nodding in agreement though his grief remains. "Yes, my friend. I very much appreciate the desire for a second chance, and there could be no better way to honour my son's memory than to defeat our enemies in his name, where he could not. Take the weapon with my blessing, and do not worry about returning it. Pass it along to your own child some day, that it may continue the battle against Evil."

---

The night passes, as quietly for you as you'll allow it to, the people of Neathholm doing their best to give you a good night's sleep, though many of them work tirelessly throughout. Not that there's any true night and day, with the eternal gloom of the caverns giving no hint as to the hour, but the Mongrelfolk somehow seem to keep a schedule regardless. When you are all awake and prepared, you are gathered into the large structure at the centre of the town. Anevia, Aravashnial and Horgus arrive from their own billets, all looking cleaner, healthier and generally much better prepared for the road. Thanks to the efforts of Udo and Malaqis, Anevia has been able to discard the splint and crutch she was using before, and if she still steps gingerly and with a limp it is nowhere near as badly as before. Horgus, meanwhile, seems to have actually prepared himself for danger. He bears a sheathed rapier at his hip and a set of light padded leather vambraces and shirt, the entire ensemble vaguely reminiscent of a duelist's equipment. As you arrive, the heavyset nobleman addresses you. "Well, I'd have preferred a real trading post, but I've done the best I can given what passes for merchants in this hole. I've got trail rations for everyone for two days, as well as a couple of healing potions the old freak gave away for a pittance." He gestures to a backpack, clearly expecting someone else to take it.

A few minutes later, Gann and a couple of young Mongrelfolk arrive with plates laden with food, though the mix of fungus and what looks to be cooked insect of some sort isn't terribly appetizing, it is at least quite filling, though Horgus makes a little snort of disgust and instead eats some sort of crusty bread he acquired somewhere along the line. When the meal is done, Gann addresses the group. "All right, once you're ready we can move out. If we make a good pace we should be to the surface not long after... Ah, I believe midday. Be ready for anything; I have no idea what sort of defenses the outcasts will have set up. Forgive the others for not preparing a grand sendoff; I understand there is a lot of work ahead of them. If you have any final preparations to make, we won't be stopping again until we can see the sun."

Spoiler: undefined
    Show

Horgus provides a backpack with 5 potions of Cure Light Wounds, 20 trail rations, 50 feet of rope made from spider-silk (half the weight of silk rope, but very vulnerable to fire), 5 torches (just in case you forget how to cast your spells, in his own words) and a wineskin filled with some sort of sweet-smelling alcohol.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

Udo

Swaying sleepily from side to side, Udo stares vacantly ahead. That he'd had little success in getting a good night's rest would be obvious to anyone who so much as looked his way. The look on his face is especially telling, his mouth drooping into a floppy frown, his eyes sunken back, barely half-open and a sickly sheen to his skin. A deep, slow rumble works its way from his chest up into his throat, a sound not unlike the half-breed child of a yawn and a croak.

Using his new spear to steady himself, the little grippli attempts to shake some of his fatigue away. How little he's succeeded remains plainly obvious, but he pushes himself on, "Thank you, Gann. For everything, really." He bows his head, though the action could easily be confused for his head simply dropping due to his current state, "I should ask though...Are you ready? To see the surface and be the vanguard of your people, I mean. It's a bigger step for you than it is for us."

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

Karsten

"We might have died down here, if it weren't for you and your people" Karsten pats the Chief on the shoulder with an earnest expression of gratitude. "I'm in your debt." He didn't really know what else to say, so he left it at that. Goodbyes should never be prolonged.

Later, as the group is ready to depart, he shoulders the backpack Horgus supplied. After inspecting the contents, he pulls out the wineskin and hands it back. "You carry the wineskin. I'm not having any. As for the potions, we should each carry one - Never know when you'll need one and won't have time to root around in someone else's backpack."

With that, he double checks his spiked gauntlet and takes up his glaive, using it like a walking staff. The Dwarven hammer hangs at his belt, rounding out the picture of a man armed to the teeth. "Let's get under way. The sooner we get back, the better."

19. - Top - End - #229
    Orc in the Playground

Idranel

After a decent night's rest, the dour elf's humor seems mildly improved. As Idranel stands with the rest of the group waiting for all to assemble, she maintains a look of calm serenity.

The elf doesn't appear to mind their odd morning meal either, eating the insects without complaint. She nods to echo Udo's thanks before they set off.

"When we arrive on the surface, be prepared for the worst." she rasps as the whole group sets forth.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

Gann sighs. "Yes, I suppose it is. I've never been to the surface before, or even as far as the outcast tribe. I should probably be excited." He looks uncertain for a moment, then shakes his head. "Duty first, friends. We'll see fighting before the morning is out, so there's no point looking too far into the future."

To Idranel, he frowns again. "Yes, if things are as bad as you say we must be prepared for anything. Still, first thing comes first, as they say. The outcasts will not let us through without a fight, and any other route to the surface will add more than a day of travel. It is half an hour or so to their domain, at the best speed our injured companions will make. I suggest we begin the journey now."

-----

True to his word, it is just under half an hour before Gann calls a halt again, though there is little way of marking the passage of time in the tunnels, natural rock eventually giving way to a corridor that has obviously been shaped with chisel and pickaxe into something resembling a square tunnel. Gann speaks at a whisper. "We have arrived. Not far down this passage lies the entry to the outcasts' lair. If you have any preparations to make, now would be the time. I leave the battle plan to you; you are certainly more experienced in the arts of war than I. I will fight as you direct. Even should I fall, there is only a single path to take from here. You will not require a guide from this point." He begins checking his sword, mismatched eyes focused, as well as tightening the straps on his leather armour. "With luck, we should still possess the element of surprise, though I doubt we will be able to go much farther without encountering resistance."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Regarding pre-battle buffing: I'll try to make it fairly obvious when you've got warning of a fight in advance. This is one of those cases. At this level, round/level buffs won't last long enough for this particular scenario, but minute/level buffs should last at least until the beginning of this little dungeon, and 10 minute/hour per level buffs should last the duration unless you're particularly slow.

If you want to do any pre-buffing, please post as such. Otherwise, there is only a single 10-foot-wide corridor leading into the Outcast lair, and you have no information on what sort of defenses they might have set up. A good idea of your marching order and any battle plans would be helpful to me going forwards.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground

Tefkros

Tefkros nods in thanks to the mongrelman for the warning. Very uncharacteristically for him , he solemnly falls in one knee, his new bow in hand, and starts reciting a small prayer.

"Everlight, shine on my path in this darkness. Grant me your blessing"

Maybe it a trick of the light, but a warm glow seems to envelop Tefkros for a while as he stands up.

"I am ready, my dear fellows. I think I will stay in the middle of our merry band. That way, I can also help reenforce the flanks if necessary"

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting my trait given Protection from Evil (dur. 2 min). Better than nothing.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

Karsten performs a cursory check of his equipment and mutters a quick prayer under his breath. "Ready as I'll ever be. I'll take point if no one else wants it, but the best position for a spearman is the flank" he puts in helpfully. "Make sure someone who's good in a fight takes up the rear."

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Athaleon View Post
    Karsten performs a cursory check of his equipment and mutters a quick prayer under his breath. "Ready as I'll ever be. I'll take point if no one else wants it, but the best position for a spearman is the flank" he puts in helpfully. "Make sure someone who's good in a fight takes up the rear."

"I'll take point then" says the reckless bard, brimming with confidence that his luck would hold out no matter what as he calls on various magical powers to enhance his battle prowess.

Actions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Use the scale to alter self for another +2 to STR
    Cast Shielf from wizard spell list, triggers spell failure (1d100)[7] (1-20 fails)
    Edit: lol, of course it failed. Using one of the scrolls of shield on self, see OoC

Status
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hp=14/14
    AC= 20

Bard spells: 2/2 lvl 1
    Wizard spells: Cultural adaptation
    Last edited by Drothmal; 2014-04-22 at 02:24 AM.

My PbP characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Retired Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

gg, N_R

24. - Top - End - #234
    Orc in the Playground

Idranel

"I will take the rearguard." The elf says, shifting to the back of the group. Her blade drawn, but not glowing with magic just yet. Once in position, she gives a curt nod to the others, indicating her readiness.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Udo

The walk seems to have done Udo some good, looking a fair bit less out of sorts than he did before leaving, "I've more healing spells prepared today, not many more, but more. Hopefully we won't need it, but I'm prepared for the worst." He raises his shortspear, giving it a few, experimental practice jabs, "I still won't be much good in a fight, so I'll try to stay back. And Gann, I'd prefer if you stay near me. You're here because I asked and it only seems right I make sure you make it to the surface with us."

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Preparations complete, you advance towards the outcast Mongrels' lair, Astias in the front. Unfortunately, discussions of tactics are hampered by the tight confines of the tunnel, which narrows to barely more than five feet wide near the end. Ahead it looks like the corridor is widening, and just as what looks to be some sort of wooden barricade comes into view suddenly a set of yells and howls comes from ahead; it would seem that the effect of your magical lights has given you away before you even had a chance to spot your opponents. As Astias enters the widened guard chamber, a crossbow bolt goes whizzing past his head courtesy of a misshapen-looking humanoid behind the farther barricade, while another waits closer, what looks to be a spear crafted of bone and steel gripped in his hands and a cruel sneer on his hideous face.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show

Combat time. M2 misses with his Readied action to shoot at Astias, while M1 looks like he's ready to stab anyone who comes into range of his long spear. There are no lights in the cavern save those you brought with you; looks like these Mongrels don't need light to see, which is how they got the drop on you.

Initiative order is:
    Karsten, Tefkros, Idranel, Astias, Gann
    The Outcast Mongrels
    Everyone else

As usual, Anevia and Aravashnial wait to see what you do before they act.

A note on distance: As you can see, most of you aren't on the map. For ease of play, everyone except Astias takes 10 feet of their movement to get to square A7, after which they can move normally. Anyone not on the map yet is counted as 10 feet off the edge of it, and can draw line of sight only to row 7 (that is, squares A7 through F7). If you're wondering why I've set the map up so far offset... Well, I expect it'll become clear as this encounter progresses. Be prepared, this one's a doozy. One minute has elapsed since you used any buffs noted in your last actions; please keep track of remaining duration for me. I will tell you when and how much time passes outside of combat.

Also, I blame my employment for the severe lateness of this post. I was not supposed to work yesterday. Or today. Guess how that turned out.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

Tefkros
    HP12 AC 20(if evil) PfE, 1 min left

Needing the visibility, Tefkros takes some steps closer to the entrance. He then draws and shoots his arrow at the humanoid in front of him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move 10ft and attack M1. Probably has some kind of cover.
    Atk (1d20+9)[21] dmg (1d8+4)[10]

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

Smiling as his luck holds out against the bolt, Astias pulls out the whip from his side and tries to render the spear wielder's preparations meaningless by disarming him.

Actions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move: Take out whip
    Standard: Disarm attempt. Use one of my uses of prescience to roll twice and take the better result

disarm1 - (1d20+7)[20] (1 BAB + 4 STR + 2 weapon)
    disarm2 - (1d20+7)[17]

If the attack succeeds, Astias will call for one of his companions to close in against the foe with the crossbow.

Status
    Spoiler
    Show
    hp = 14/14
    AC = 16

prescience = 4/5
    Inexplicable luck = 1/1

Bardic performance = 6/6

Bard spells: 2/2 lvl 1
    Wizard spells: Cultural adaptation
    Last edited by Drothmal; 2014-04-29 at 03:13 AM.

My PbP characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Retired Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

gg, N_R

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ettin in the Playground

Karsten leveled his polearm and advanced on his misshapen counterpart across the barricade, intent on harassing them both so his companions could close into melee.

Spoiler
    Show

Karsten will move up to C6 and attack M2, unless M1 appears to have a reach weapon, and Astias did not successfully disarm it. If both of those are the case, he will move to C7 and attack M2.

Attack: (1d20+6)[24]
    Damage: (2d4+9)[13]

Is it a miss chance to attack over those barricades? (1d100)[10], 20 or lower misses.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Udo

Startled by the bolt that just whizzed past, Udo is a bit slower to react than the others. He tightens his grip on his spear and rushes forward to put a stop, or more likely be a nuisance to, the mongrelman wielding the crossbow.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move Action: Moves to D5
    Standard Action: Attacks the crossbowman with his shortspear, (1d20+2)[13], (1d4)[1]

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    HP: 14/14
    AC: 17