New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 13: No, We're Not Calling It The First Cour

Yay for the title!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 13: No, We're Not Calling It The First Cour

Quote Originally Posted by jhunter_d View Post
    Yay for the title!
    If nothing else it's taught us never to let the guy who suggested the less popular title option start the new thread

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    If nothing else it's taught us never to let the guy who suggested the less popular title option start the new thread
    Consider it an object lesson in the bystander effect.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

So apparently, Valvrave:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Started killing off characters now. Characters who are not Marie, that is.

I'm beyond caring at this point, so my reaction is just apathy. I dropped this show several episodes ago and don't regret my decision.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

So I just finished off the anime of Histories Strongest Disciple : Kenichi.

I dug it, the overall plot of the series till the end of the anime (The end of the Ragnarok arc) I liked the characters, and the Odin v Kenichi fight was very excellent, especially the bit where Kenichi imitated his masters in order to get around Odin's all seeing eye.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    So apparently, Valvrave:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Started killing off characters now. Characters who are not Marie, that is.

I'm beyond caring at this point, so my reaction is just apathy. I dropped this show several episodes ago and don't regret my decision.
    The last couple of episodes have been freakin great.

Although I'm really hoping a certain childhood friend love interest is going to buy the farm.

Spoiler
    Show
    Or better yet Haruto looses most of his memories of Shoko and thus decided to hook with Saki and Shoko is left to live out the rest of her days in sad regret like she deserves because seriously she's a horrible person.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

So we finished watching "Princess Tutu" last night after coming home from too much food and coffee and cookies. It took me about half way through the show to actually care significantly about the characters, which was also about how long it took to have the plot get interesting. Ahiru was cute, and her 'friends' were amusing enough, but the characters would not have been enough to save this show had the story not been good. A few interesting twists and some amusing character interaction with Ahiru and excellent music (and ballet). Final verdict a strong 7/10, It might work its way up to 8/10 once I've had some time to digest it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    So we finished watching "Princess Tutu" last night after coming home from too much food and coffee and cookies. It took me about half way through the show to actually care significantly about the characters, which was also about how long it took to have the plot get interesting. Ahiru was cute, and her 'friends' were amusing enough, but the characters would not have been enough to save this show had the story not been good. A few interesting twists and some amusing character interaction with Ahiru and excellent music (and ballet). Final verdict a strong 7/10, It might work its way up to 8/10 once I've had some time to digest it.
    So, would you say this is true then?
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

That image is always true.

Also the Kill la Kill OST is out. I'm really digging it. I think its a lot better than Sawano's last effort with the AoT ost, but still not quite as strong as either his Guilty Crown ost or his Gundam Unicorn ost. Definitely the second best ost of the year behind G-G-G-G-G-GATCHAMAN.

Also, I'm glad I don't speak German so I can enjoy Blumenkranz without recoiling in horror at the (I'm told) terrible german on display. I can't decide if its my favorite track on the album or if its 犬Kあ3L or 鬼龍G@キLL.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mallorean_thug View Post
    Also, I'm glad I don't speak German so I can enjoy Blumenkranz without recoiling in horror at the (I'm told) terrible german on display. I can't decide if its my favorite track on the album or if its 犬Kあ3L or 鬼龍G@キLL.
    To be fair, all Anime German I've ever seen is aneurysm-inducingly terrible. With the exception of Monster, where at least the written German was flawless and the spoken German just a bit accented but gramatically correct.

I get by by closing my eyes and pretending it's some Asian or African language I don't know.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

12. - Top - End - #12

RedWizardGuy

Previews for the Spring?Winter? season are starting to come out. Anybody looking forward to anything?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Poison_Fish View Post
    So, would you say this is true then?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not really. I don't have any real exposure to the magical girl genre apart from this (mostly parodies Puni Puni Poemy and the Nyaruko OVA) so my expectations were rather minimial. Not that I was expecting it to be bad or anything, I just didn't have any expectations about content apart from good music and at tleast a few elements I've seen parodied elsewhere.
    But I certainly didn't get the feeling of dueling-guitar ninjas. The only thing that really stricks with me of magical powers was Mytho's Fabulous Flower Elevator.
    So really, the second picture is what I got as well as what I expected.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Invincible View Post
    Previews for the Spring?Winter? season are starting to come out. Anybody looking forward to anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by mallorean_thug View Post
    Oh, and if anybody is curious, we have info on most of Winter season now. Link. Link.
    HYPE tier:

Nobunaga the Fool

Mite b cool tier:

Tonari no Seki-kun
    Space Dandy

3 episode rule tier:

Houzuki no Reitetsu
    Pupa
    Wizard Barristers
    Noragami
    A Love Song to a Certain Airship Pilot
    World Conquest: Stratagem Star

1 episode can't hurt tier:

Sakura Trick
    Nisekoi
    Wake up Girls

Sequels tier:

Silver Spoon S2
    Chuu2 2
    Mushishi special

Continuing from fall season tier:

Nagi no Asakura
    Samurai Flamenco
    Kill la Kill

I think I've already explained why Nobunaga will at least be fun

Tonari no Seki-kun is fortunately 10 minute shorts, which really works much better for the kind of sketch based comedy manga its adapting. And I look forward to 10 minutes of HanaKana narration every week.

Space Dandy is about a dandy guy in the space. The trailers speak for themselves.

Hozuki no Reitetsu has an interesting premise and decent staff. I really haven't looked into the source material at all though, so I'm really just assuming its worth the chance.

I've heard the manga for Pupa is pretty good. I'm still not convinced that DEEN found a place for it to air, but when/if it does it will get a chance. I at least need to know WHY there's going to be an anime about incestual cannibilism.

Wizard Barristers would probably be up in the Mite b Cool tier if Gallilei Donna wasn't so bad. At least the action scenes in the trailer look really sweet.

Noragami screams "I'm going to be pretty ok" I expect it will be right on the line of drop/keep such that the decision will probably come down to how many other things I'm watching / how much free time I have.

Something Something airships is somehow related to a thing I haven't watched. If the first episode is good, I'll probably go watch that first.

World Conquest Strategem Star would be down a tier if it weren't for the fact that Meteo Hoshizora is the writer. Most people seem to have completely ignored/missed that this is important because the guy hasn't worked on anime before and only 1 of the VNs he's written has been translated. But that VN, Forest, is an absolute masterpiece. So I have hope this will be better than expected.

. . . and I need to go catch a Hobbit screentime. I'll type up more later maybe.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Stuff I'll probably give a try on my own: Nobunaga, Seki-kun (I love the manga!), Space Dandy. Other than that, depending on what second-hand opinion tells me. And, obviously, I'll keep watching Samumenco and Gundam Build Fighters. We're getting more Build Fighters, right? It's pretty obviously in the middle of its arc right now! It's also, amusingly, the best Gundam TV show of this millennium, despite being a 25-minute long Gunpla commercial about children's plastic model games.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

I expect to continue/resume watching Gin no Saji, Gundam Build Fighters, Log Horizon, and Samurai Flamenco unless they screw up badly. I'll certainly also pick up Chuunibyou 2 and see how I find it.

For new shows, I'll definitely watch Seki-kun, and give Nobunaga the Fool and Space Dandy a shot. I have lower expectations for Sakura Trick but it'll also probably be less demanding to watch, and if they actually air Sailor Moon and - of course - Knights of Sidonia this season I'll check those out. I might give Wizard Barristers a shot, if I hear good things about it from vaguely trustworthy sources, but Galilei Donna has left me very skeptical - and the art reverting to Kite/Mezzo Forte style doesn't help. And lastly, I'll probably have a look at Seitokai Yakuindomo after the season's over when I can watch it to kill time.

On the current season: I finally got around to watching the last episode of Kyousogiga, and am amused to see that episode 10.5 is billed as a "review with commentary", a.k.a. "what the heck did you/I just watch?". Ultimately I enjoyed it a lot, and I'm surprised that in the end the thing it reminds me of more than Touhou or Exalted is actually Vertigo's Lucifer.
    Last edited by kamikasei; 2013-12-26 at 03:03 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

10 minute format for Tonari no Seki-kun? So that should be about 2 chapters an ep then.

On Nisekoi:
    If you're up for a solidly executed but very conventional (or as some would say, generic and clichéd) harem romcom with great reaction faces that has hit the sitcom treadmill, go for it. Otherwise, skip it.
    Thanks to Meirnon for the avatar
    One Punch-Man: I became the hero I had always dreamed of being. But how can it be that, even though I should be satisfied, I feel so empty?...
    Gag manga story by One, artwork by Murata Yusuke of Eyeshield 21 fame
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

RedWizardGuy

Nothing really sparked my interest, but I'll at least watch the first of most of the shows.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    Consider it an object lesson in the bystander effect.
    Or a lesson in not taking Christmas off? I thought it was considered good form around here to vote for the titles to pick the next one.

I was mostly against this title because I've never seen the word "cour" be used in English before.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    I was mostly against this title because I've never seen the word "cour" be used in English before.
    You need to lurk on 4chan more. Except that would require, you know. Lurking 4chan. And I'm not sure I can advocate that with a clear conscience.

21. - Top - End - #21

Or a lesson in not taking Christmas off? I thought it was considered good form around here to vote for the titles to pick the next one.
    You're right, I shouldn't have jumped the gun. I've changed it.

22. - Top - End - #22

Nooo!

Whenever I post, I'll still try to use the original title.

23. - Top - End - #23

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion: Where Are We Golgoing 13?

Its usage in English-speaking anime fandom comes from the fact that it's used in Japan (of course); as クール (kuuru).
    I don't think that I've seen 'cour' used in English outside of the anime fandom.
    One Punch-Man: I became the hero I had always dreamed of being. But how can it be that, even though I should be satisfied, I feel so empty?...
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhere View Post
    Its usage in English-speaking anime fandom comes from the fact that it's used in Japan (of course); as クール (kuuru).
    I don't think that I've seen 'cour' used in English outside of the anime fandom.
    I looked it up after seeing it, and it may have come out of French "cours" originally. Considering the s is often silent at the end of French words, I can believe that.

I originally thought it sounded like cœur, and was wondering what hearts had to do with it.

Is it in common use in the anime fandom though? I've honestly never seen it before on these forums, the CrunchyRoll forums, or any other anime fandom forums I've frequented over the past 8 years.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

25. - Top - End - #25

Yea, the usage in Japan itself comes from the French.

It's not common; I really only see it from a few people (who insist strongly on using it) in the places I go to.

---

Wonderful; volume 7 of Assassination Classroom came out this week. The noteworthy aspect being that there's an edition to buy it bundled with a DVD of the OVA made for Jump Super Anime Tour 2013. Already saw a couple of screenshots of Karma.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Unlike most seasons, I won't follow my proud tradition of not thinking about any shows in particular until the season actually starts. There are shows I'm interested in.

Starting with the obvious, I'm absolutely going to watch the next season of Chuunibyo. I loved the original and the ova gives me the impression that they're planning on addressing the one lingering bit of awkwardness. Also, I just plain like the characters and will enjoy seeing more of them.

Similarly, I'll watch new Saki. It'll obviously be as goofy as you'd expect from a show about superpowered, lesbian mahjong, but the characters are surprisingly likable and superpowered mahjong is fun to watch even if it makes no sense. Teru is also surprisingly intimidating as an antagonist despite just being a competitive player of a peaceful, sedentary game.

I'll also check out Sakura Trick. I'm expecting to find it boring and end up dropping it, but I want to at least give an actual yuri show a chance, especially given how centrally it places the yuri and how upfront it is about it. Also, according to Okazu the girls actually do seem like real couples, which gives me hope it'll turn out good.

And finally, if they actually do end up airing new Sailor Moon, I'll give it a shot. I like magical girls and the original is a hugely influential classic, including in genres I enjoy, so at least giving it a look seems appropriate.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

And I just finished watching The Adolescence of Utena...Really, that's the big mindscrew to end all mindscrew of anime? It's just a story about a couple of girls falling for each other and using the strength it gives them to overcome past trauma and comforting lies to fight their way to an uncertain, but real future. It's not even subtle about it, it just piles tons of very stylish weirdness on top of it.

28. - Top - End - #28

Ikuhara is never subtle.

And this is the same fandom that thinks End of Evangelion is confusing. I think people just get caught up on the whole
    and don't think about it, because really the movie was far more straightforward about its message than the series ever was. In fact, I can't really think of any other series where the movie managed to perfectly encapsulate its series while having completely different events happening on screen. That said, the series is much better. Though the movie did give us that gorgeous dance sequence, and several great new versions of the best tracks on the series' OST.

If you want mindscrew, as always, go watch Angel's Egg. I still don't understand it.
    Last edited by mallorean_thug; 2013-12-28 at 12:24 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Man, the ending to Valvrave has been... controversial.

It's pretty funny.

30. - Top - End - #30

Is it in common use in the anime fandom though? I've honestly never seen it before on these forums, the CrunchyRoll forums, or any other anime fandom forums I've frequented over the past 8 years.
    It's possible I've only seen it on 4chan and from other people who'd have seen it there. It seemed to appear from nowhere just recently; I think the first time I heard it used was in discussions of Rinne no Lagrange.
    Quote Originally Posted by HamHam View Post
    Man, the ending to Valvrave has been... controversial.
    I was surprised that the end did manage to piss me off (or rather, make me think "huh, if I was at all invested at this point, this would piss me off") after I spent most of the last episode shrugging at it. Mostly I'm just annoyed that they took Saki in almost exactly the direction I was hoping they wouldn't. The fact that everything else was a nonsensical jumble was to be expected.