New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion: Where Are We Golgoing 13?

From what I've seen, the general response to Valvrave's ending is less "RAAAAAGE" and more "meh, too apathetic to care". Which is even worse, rage-worthingly bad things are at least fun to talk about later.

Also, I am disappointed in the lack of Samumenco this week. I want my dose of ridiculously escalating sentai, damnit! At least UQ Holder gives us TWEEEEEESTS to make up for it.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

I'm just waiting for Valvrave to show up in SRW so they can fix the plot by combining it with Tekkaman Blade.
    Spoiler
    Show
    From what I hear Blade fought so hard he lost his memories, but recovered in the sequel? Turning tons of people into Tekkamen would also soften Valvrave's witch hunt.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2013-12-28 at 08:40 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure if Valvrave can be fixed. But then, they somehow managed with SEED Destiny, so who knows...

The new show I want to see in SRW is Majestic Prince, though. Come on, every aspect of that anime is hand-crafted to work for it!

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    From what I've seen, the general response to Valvrave's ending is less "RAAAAAGE" and more "meh, too apathetic to care". Which is even worse, rage-worthingly bad things are at least fun to talk about later.

Also, I am disappointed in the lack of Samumenco this week. I want my dose of ridiculously escalating sentai, damnit! At least UQ Holder gives us TWEEEEEESTS to make up for it.
    There seems to be plenty of rage on the Animesuki forums about it.

A lot of people are complaining that it raises more questions than it answers but I think that's fine. The current story got resolved but we are shown that like in real life that just means another story will follow it, and another, and another.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HamHam View Post
    A lot of people are complaining that it raises more questions than it answers but I think that's fine. The current story got resolved but we are shown that like in real life that just means another story will follow it, and another, and another.
    Yeah that's putting an awfully positive spin on "they put way more balls in the air than they were competent to juggle, and made the mistake of flash-forwarding to a future that turned out to have nothing to do with anything, so in the end they just caught one or two of the balls, let the rest hit the ground and shatter, and pointed at the resulting mess to say 'look, this is totally what we told you we were aiming for!'."

I'm just surprised /m/ hasn't been decimated by reaction-whiplash after the "NO UNDERSTANDING -> UNDERSTANDING" switch. I'm not really surprised.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    Yeah that's putting an awfully positive spin on "they put way more balls in the air than they were competent to juggle, and made the mistake of flash-forwarding to a future that turned out to have nothing to do with anything, so in the end they just caught one or two of the balls, let the rest hit the ground and shatter, and pointed at the resulting mess to say 'look, this is totally what we told you we were aiming for!'."

I'm just surprised /m/ hasn't been decimated by reaction-whiplash after the "NO UNDERSTANDING -> UNDERSTANDING" switch. I'm not really surprised.
    It has something to do with it in that it provides a wider context to events.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

I finished Valvrave and my basic reaction was pretty much a flat "What?". I really feel that they could have used another few episodes to really flesh out the ending. I really got the "Curse your sudden yet inevitable betrayal" feeling from L-elf's comrades going against Dorsia and Cain, not to mention how can the others manage to pilot for something along the line of SEVERAL HUNDRED YEARS when a few months at most managed to burn out Haruto (and we're not sure how long for Marie). I'm hoping for a movie or something because I thought the show was decent (it's not Full Metal Panic or Full Metal Alchemist quiality, but it's not a show that I dropped within 3-4 episodes) but it really could use a little bit more to expound upon the situation with JIOR, ARUS, and Dorsia.

It's sunrise though so I'm pretty certain we'll get one since that seems to be par for the course for their shows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged One View Post
    Actually, Tarrasques are merely an extremely endangered species. They reproduce by spontaniously coming into existance when people piss off the DM.
    CRPG Rules: http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Ishikar View Post
    I finished Valvrave and my basic reaction was pretty much a flat "What?". I really feel that they could have used another few episodes to really flesh out the ending. I really got the "Curse your sudden yet inevitable betrayal" feeling from L-elf's comrades going against Dorsia and Cain, not to mention how can the others manage to pilot for something along the line of SEVERAL HUNDRED YEARS when a few months at most managed to burn out Haruto (and we're not sure how long for Marie). I'm hoping for a movie or something because I thought the show was decent (it's not Full Metal Panic or Full Metal Alchemist quiality, but it's not a show that I dropped within 3-4 episodes) but it really could use a little bit more to expound upon the situation with JIOR, ARUS, and Dorsia.

It's sunrise though so I'm pretty certain we'll get one since that seems to be par for the course for their shows.
    It's not like he was using Runes at a constant rate. It seems pretty clear that he was just using in too much without feeding enough, thus causing the loss of his own Runes. The remaining pilots being more intelligent probably didn't make the same mistake.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

I'm evil. My friend's seen scattered clips of Steins;Gate, and we're going to watch the series sometime soon...

Spoiler: Episode 1
    Show
    I told her that Kurisu dies in Episode 1.

She was mortified.
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2013-12-30 at 01:25 PM.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

but it really could use a little bit more to expound upon the situation with JIOR, ARUS, and Dorsia.
    Here, let me help you:

ARUS - Evil Space America
    Dorssia - Evil Space Commie Nazis
    JIOR - Good Space Peace-loving Japan

11. - Top - End - #41
    Colossus in the Playground

So happy I dropped Bodacious Space Pirates and started watching Stein's Gate. What a glorious show.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    So happy I dropped Bodacious Space Pirates and started watching Stein's Gate. What a glorious show.
    Spoken like a true Mad ScientistEngineer.
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2013-12-30 at 03:12 PM.
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tensai_oni View Post
    Here, let me help you:

JIOR - Good Space Peace-loving Japan
    I'd peg Dorssia as more a post-revolution russia than space commie Nazis. This would also peg the Magius as Rasputin-esque villains.

As for what I meant by their situations is we see a few flashes of scenes line the council of 101 being slaughtered, Q-Vier leading revolution (think I got the right one) and witch hunts in ARUS (who's leader was a Magius at that point as well). I would rather have had another episode or two to flesh out some of those into a bit more than just "yeah, crazy stuff happened that we're going to gloss over". It's almost as if you were to take a history course which covered the fallout of World War I, the rise of the Nazi party, and the persecution of the Jews but skipped World War II by saying "and then everyone fought a war which completely re-shaped politics and military doctrine for the next 40 years, also America made nukes." Don't even get me started on the E-24 "infiltration" and the "let's be friends to the suffering will be split 50/50" spiel. Sunrise needs to learn to finish a show when it's meant to be done. Mid-series breaks are done well (between S1 and S2 of Valvrave, between seasons of Code Geass) but they can't seem to do that at the end. I've had several shows I enjoy put off a bit because of that.

I've gotten to thinking with all the commentary on it that maybe I ought to give Steins:Gate another chance, I think I watched the first half episode or so and then got tied up elsewhere and never really went back to it. It wasn't for the reason that I haven't finished Bakemonogatari (good LORD the signs/dialogue in that show, having to try pausing to be able to read stuff got a bit old) or Puella Madoka Magica (that one was more a victim of not enough time when it was current and constant distractions afterwards). I may have an odd show or two to pick up (log horizon seems like it could be neat) but I'm also looking for recommendations on any interesting shows to catch up on. I'll list a few I enjoyed to try to give a bit of a frame of reference.

Gundam 00 (barring the train wreck of a movie, seriously Els?)
    Sword Art Online
    Accel World
    The hero and the demon king (cannot recall exact spelling of Mao Maou Yuusha right now)
    Code Geass
    Spice and Wolf
    Majestic Prince
    Nadesico
    Full Metal Panic (+Fumoffu/TSR)
    Toradora
    Chaos;Head
    Guilty Crown
    Fate/stay Night+Fate/Zero

In short the high fantasy/sci-fi/Mecha or the odd romance. I have Turn A Gundam that I've started watching as well as The Legend of Legendary Heroes. Any other recommendations would be appreciated as I could use a few shows to help fill a bit of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged One View Post
    Actually, Tarrasques are merely an extremely endangered species. They reproduce by spontaniously coming into existance when people piss off the DM.
    CRPG Rules: http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not sure if Valvrave can be fixed. But then, they somehow managed with SEED Destiny, so who knows...

The new show I want to see in SRW is Majestic Prince, though. Come on, every aspect of that anime is hand-crafted to work for it!
    As much as I love the mobile suits and other recurring characters in SRW, I think MJP deserves to at least get into one of the side games. I mean, silly, over-the-top characters, Rule of Cool mechs, alien invader plot? You're right, it's pretty much made for SRW.

And wait, they fixed Destiny?
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

I've gotten to thinking with all the commentary on it that maybe I ought to give Steins:Gate another chance
    The answer is yes. Always yes. That show is pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    And wait, they fixed Destiny?
    SRW Z version of SEED Destiny is much less idiotic and nonsensical than the actual show. Shinn and Athrun are more reasonable, the villains' plans make more sense, Kira gets called out on his self-righteousness, and so on and so on. Shinn's voice actor considers that version to be the true story of SEED Destiny, not the tv show version.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ishikar, that list is longer than most people have time to watch. If you're dropping shows because you're too busy, why do you need more added to the backlog?

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

I've gotten to thinking with all the commentary on it that maybe I ought to give Steins:Gate another chance, I think I watched the first half episode or so and then got tied up elsewhere and never really went back to it.
    Similar to my own experience, actually. I watched the first episode, went "Huh, okay. Neat," and moved along with my merry life, forgetting all about the show. I later heard it hyped by various friends as a fantastic series. Then, the_druid_droid posted a "Let's Watch Steins;Gate" thread...and the rest is history.

Go into the opening of the show with the intent of enjoying yourself amongst the antics. It builds from that, and I think it's the most rewarding when you approach it from that perspective and follow it where it leads.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

In short the high fantasy/sci-fi/Mecha or the odd romance. I have Turn A Gundam that I've started watching as well as The Legend of Legendary Heroes. Any other recommendations would be appreciated as I could use a few shows to help fill a bit of time.
    How old are you willing to go? Because if you're okay with mid 90s animation Escaflowne might be something you'd want to get acquainted with, given that it's high fantasy mecha with romance.

19. - Top - End - #49

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by tensai_oni View Post
    Here, let me help you:

JIOR - Good Space Peace-loving Japan (Secretly Evil)

Fixed that for you ;)

Also space vampire robots.

Anyway, I watched the end and it was a thing which happened. Some mostly ineffectual villains died, some more effectual but actually remote and rarely encountered by the protagonists villains died, in the future we shall take over the world!

I guess.

At least is wasn't Code Trainwreck, Sunrise getting better.
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2013-12-30 at 08:25 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 13: No, We're Not Calling It The First Cour

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    So we finished watching "Princess Tutu" last night after coming home from too much food and coffee and cookies. It took me about half way through the show to actually care significantly about the characters, which was also about how long it took to have the plot get interesting. Ahiru was cute, and her 'friends' were amusing enough, but the characters would not have been enough to save this show had the story not been good. A few interesting twists and some amusing character interaction with Ahiru and excellent music (and ballet). Final verdict a strong 7/10, It might work its way up to 8/10 once I've had some time to digest it.
    I find that Princess Tutu works better directly in proportion to one's exposure to the original operas and ballets that the episodes were based on. There have been a couple points in the later series where my wife and I have gone "Oh crap! Not THAT theme!". I also like it for some major reversals for some of the characters, that actually make cmplete sense when you understand their background.
    "Conan what is best in life?"
    "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, to sell them inexpensive furniture you can assemble yourself with an Allen wrench. And meatballs."
    "Meatballs. That is good!"

21. - Top - End - #51
    Barbarian in the Playground

Large Images
    Spoiler
    Show

Aren't Shaft BD changes the best? Left is BD, right is TV.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

I would rather have had another episode or two to flesh out some of those into a bit more than just "yeah, crazy stuff happened that we're going to gloss over".
    A few episodes isn't going to help with any of that. You could do a whole 'nother series and it still might not be enough.

I think leaving it to the imagination works fine. Or they might get another season out of it.

other Gundams
    The Unlimited - Hyōbu Kyōsuke
    Ghost in the Shell
    Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
    Log Horizon
    Read or Die

SRW Z version of SEED Destiny is much less idiotic and nonsensical than the actual show. Shinn and Athrun are more reasonable, the villains' plans make more sense, Kira gets called out on his self-righteousness, and so on and so on.
    But then you're missing the point of Destiny entirely.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Time travel has a tendency for greatness if it makes sense.*

*Even if it makes sense you can still be very confused about it before figuring it all out.

Thus, banana microwaves.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Time travel has a tendency for greatness if it makes sense.*

*Even if it makes sense you can still be very confused about it before figuring it all out.

Thus, banana microwaves.
    Stein;s Gate is one of the few shows where I see great flaws in their logic (some of which could be easily fixed) and I still love it to no end.

Also, to get back to an earlier discussion, I (nearly) caught up with Log Horizon. The first episodes were really nice but I have to agree it is a little slow. Not that any of the episodes are actually bad but they got essentially two things done in 10 episodes which is just a little slow. It's not terrible but I hope the next episodes will get some excitement into the story. MMO politics are fun enough but at some point it drags a bit more than it needs to.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Third Newtype awards are out. Attack on Titan wins a lot, predictably (and undeservingly IMHO), but I'm happy with the strong standing MJP has. Majestic Prince is my anime of the year; the story is nothing new, but the strong writing, large cast of very likable characters, amusing sense of humour and incredible mecha action scenes have won my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by HamHam View Post
    But then you're missing the point of Destiny entirely.
    The point being "we spent all our budget on TM Revolution's songs so everything else about the show is total crap"?

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56

The point being "we spent all our budget on TM Revolution's songs so everything else about the show is total crap"?
    Technically the point of every Gundam series after the early 1980s has been 'Bandai doesn't want to lose their cash cow'. Also 'Gundams sell better than other Mobile Suits so lets change the focus to Gundams fighting Gundams'.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    Technically the point of every Gundam series after the early 1980s has been 'Bandai doesn't want to lose their cash cow'. Also 'Gundams sell better than other Mobile Suits so lets change the focus to Gundams fighting Gundams'.
    There were Gundam-like robots in Gundam that weren't Gundams?
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

28. - Top - End - #58

Yes, most of them. Only the protagonist in the early series had a Gundam and his allies and enemies had vehicles called something else. SEED and Wing had like 9 or 10 Gundams (not all active at once) but 100s of mass produced other mecha.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2013-12-31 at 07:51 AM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

29. - Top - End - #59

Are you trying to make Acguy cry?

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

If it doesn't have a V-fin, it's not a Gundam. Unless it's Turn A Gundam.

Also, some of the coolest Mobile Suits are not Gundams. For example, Jegan:
    Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, this is a plastic model I got for Christmas and assembled myself. Gundam Build Fighters successfully brainwashed me.

Spoiler
    Show