New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Monkey Master [PrC]

"Insane? Just as it was insane to spend the family fortune on these?" the eccentric monk revealed his hands and feet. They were fur-covered and opposable, and looked very much like a monkey's. "To spend my life learning the art of Tai-Shing Pek War! I hardly see it as insane! The monkey is the perfect combatant! He has skill, grace, dexterity! He is lightning fast and agile! Why do you think the mystical monkey monks would devote so much of their time to developing the art? But over 1500 years ago, they merely mimicked the monkey's style, and it's been that way for 1500 years! I am refining the discipline, to the point where I become the monkey king!"

"Yes, my Lord," replied his servant. "But don't you think the tail is a bit much?"

Monkey Master

Requirements:
    Abilities: 12+ Dex
    Skills: Tumble 10 ranks, Knowledge(Religion) 10 ranks

Monkey Master
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack[br]Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
    1st|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    | Weapon Finesse, Monkey Discipline, Flurry of Blows, Greater Flurry
    2nd|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    | Ability Boost (Dex + 2), Monkey Fur
    3rd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Monkey Hands
    4th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |-
    5th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |-
    6th|
    +4
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    | Ability Boost (Dex + 2)
    7th|
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Monkey Feet
    8th|
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Monkey Tail
    9th|
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Monkey Leadership
    10th|
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |Mystical Monkey Power, Faster Monkey Feet[/table]

Hit Die: d8

Class Skills
    A Monkey Master's Class Skills are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Disable Device (Dex), Escape Artist (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Religion)(Int), Knowledge (Arcana)(Int), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex) and Use Rope (Dex).

Skills points per level
    4 + Int Modifier

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
    A Monkey Master gains proficiency with all simple, martial and monk weapons. He does not gain any proficiency with armor or shields.

Monkey Fur (Ex)
    A Level 2 Monkey Master grows fur, almost like a monkey's, but slightly thinner. This is mostly cosmetic, but might protect against cold.

Monkey Hands (Ex)
    A Level 3 Monkey Master has practiced using his hands like a monkey's. His hands grant him the equivalent of the Monkey Grip feat, as well as provide a +2 racial bonus to the following skills: Climb, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Open Lock, Sleight of Hand and Use Rope. If the Monkey Master already had a racial bonus in any of these skills, he gains a competence bonus in that skill instead.

Monkey Feet (Ex)
    A Level 7 Monkey Master has even learned to use his feet like a monkey's. While unshod, he adds 10ft to his move speed. This improves to +20 at level 10. Additionally while unshod, it provides a +2 racial bonus to the following skills: Balance, Jump, Move Silently, Swim and Tumble. If the Monkey Master already had a racial bonus in any of these skills, he gains a competence bonus in that skill instead.

Monkey Tail (Ex)
    A Level 8 Monkey Master grows a prehensile tail. This tail doesn't possess the strength to make an attack, but it may grasp small objects such as potions and lockpicks. The tail does have enough dexterity to pick a lock.

Additionally, the Monkey Master may use the tail to imbibe a potion without provoking an attack of opportunity as it leaves his hands free to defend himself.

Monkey Leadership
    A Level 9 Monkey Master gains renown among Monkey Ninjas, and as such gains the effect of the Leadership feat, with the limitation that it only works on Awakened Monkey Ninjas. (Which admittedly limits the usefulness.)

Mystical Monkey Power
    A 10th level Monkey Master undergoes a ritual to imbue himself with Mystical Monkey Power. This provides an Ability Boost (Str + 2), and an Ability Boost (Dex + 2). Additionally, his Unarmed Strikes now count as both Admantine and Alchemical Silver for purposes of bypassing damage reduction. The Monkey Master can also fall any distance without harm.

There is another way to gain Mystical Monkey Power that doesn't require the Monkey Master to be level 10, or indeed even be a Monkey Master, which involves finding the three Jade Monkey Statues and aligning them on the three Pillars at the right time.

================================================== =====

OK, admittedly, I based this class off of Kim Possible, but apparently there actually is such a thing as Monkey Kung Fu.

================================================== =======================

Last Update:

- Removed Monkey Agility now that Monkey Master Levels stack with Monk Levels for AC bonus
    - Lowered skill points to 4 + Int mod. With all their bonuses, surely they don't need many ranks
    - Added Mystical Monkey Power, which takes place of the previous 10th level ability, but also includes it. It gives the Monkey Master some of the further Monk abilities they would otherwise miss. (Admantine Strike, Slow Fall any distance, for example.)
    - Added a Monkey Tail
    - Added Monkey Leadership

================================================== =======

And Additionally, I bring you the Lotus Blade:

Artifact: Lotus Blade

For most people, the Lotus Blade is nothing but a steel longsword. However, for those who have Mystical Monkey Power, it is a +3 Ki Focus Longsword with the special property of shapechanging.

A wielder with Mystical Monkey Power may, as a move action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity, will the Lotus Blade to change shape into any other weapon he wishes. In order to wield the weapon effectively, the user must still be proficient in that weapon, or else suffer the usual -4 penalty. It always retains its +3 enhancement bonus, and as long as it is a melee weapon it retains the Ki Focus.

If it is changed into a thrown weapon, it gains Returning and Seeking.

If it is changed into a ranged weapon, such as a crossbow, it gains Distance and Seeking, and additionally generates its own ammunition.

It may also be changed into a +3 shield of any type.

Additionally, it may be changed into non-weapons. The following are all acceptable examples:

-+4 masterwork thieves' tools
    -A Chain with hardness 20 and 10 hit points that requires a Strength check of DC 32 to break out of
    -A Crowbar that provides a +4 circumstance bonus on appropriate Strength checks
    -Flint and Steel
    -A Grappling Hook and Rope that requires a DC 5 Use Rope check, +2 per 20ft of distance thrown
    -A hammer
    -A Superior Lock
    -Masterwork Manacles
    -A hooded lantern
    -A jug
    -A portable ram
    -A silk rope
    -Masterwork Artisan's Tools
    -A +4 Climber's Kit
    -A +4 Healer's Kit
    -A +4 Merchant's Scale
    -A +4 Masterwork Musical Instrument
    -A telephone, whatever that is.

If the wielder lets go of it while it is shapechanged, it remains in the form he left it. (Especially important for thrown weapons.) Anyone can use it, but it acts like a completely normal object for them. (If it was a non-combat item, make them identical to the mundane generic equipment rather than the improved bonuses listed above.)

One final property of the Lotus Blade is that the owner can call it to him, no matter how far apart they are, as long as they are on the same plane. It flies at a speed of 120 ft/round in this case.
    Last edited by mikeejimbo; 2007-01-20 at 02:31 PM.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Monkey Master [PrC]

...what? As far as I see, this is just a Dex-hoarding...thing with with fur. And some skill bonuses. And a speed bonus of 10 feet. Maybe add a little fluff to give monkeys some of their dignity back? The problem I see is that the it has no real class abilities, just bonuses and some hair. Maybe the hair could repulse people, giving a -2 to Charisma-based checks, but grant the benefits of Protection from Elements? Also, if this is meant to be based on Monkey Fist, it can be a monk prestige class, and have the speed, AC bonus and unarmed strike damage increase as well, making this almost a worthwhile class. If not, then you'll need to flesh out exactly what purpose this class will serve before we take a step farther.

If you just wanted to reference Kim Possible in some way, ignore all of the above.
    Water, Earth, Fire, and Air: Benders of the Avatar world
    Monks and Rangers for a non-magical world
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL View Post
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.
    Avatar By the amazing Mephibosheth

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eighth_Seraph View Post
    ...what? As far as I see, this is just a Dex-hoarding...thing with with fur. And some skill bonuses. And a speed bonus of 10 feet. Maybe add a little fluff to give monkeys some of their dignity back? The problem I see is that the it has no real class abilities, just bonuses and some hair. Maybe the hair could repulse people, giving a -2 to Charisma-based checks, but grant the benefits of Protection from Elements? Also, if this is meant to be based on Monkey Fist, it can be a monk prestige class, and have the speed, AC bonus and unarmed strike damage increase as well, making this almost a worthwhile class. If not, then you'll need to flesh out exactly what purpose this class will serve before we take a step farther.

If you just wanted to reference Kim Possible in some way, ignore all of the above.
    It was supposed to be more or less a Monk Prestige class, but I do err on the side of underpowering things. I do like the idea of making the fur give Protection from Elements, and you think increasing the AC bonus and unarmed strike damage wouldn't be overpowered?

Edit: Also, it was meant to have more skills than the monk. Hence, it is a skill monkey.

Further Edit: It also occurred to me that I did want to have some class abilities, but wasn't sure what, and so I thought I'd see if people said it needed some (which was apparently true) and see if they had any suggestions. Which I should have stated. I shall also write some fluff tomorrow.

Another Edit: OK, I also made it more monk-like.
    Last edited by mikeejimbo; 2007-01-18 at 11:29 PM.
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

4. - Top - End - #4

That looks really nice now, but it needs some fluff. Where did this discipline originate? Who invented it? Why monkeys?
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

That looks really nice now, but it needs some fluff. Where did this discipline originate? Who invented it? Why monkeys?
    Yes, I indeed said I would get to that today, and that I shall.
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

1. I love the idea behind this class.
    2. I like the execution of this class.
    3. I love monkey kung fu.
    4. I love Monkey Fist.
    5. Go for the fluff.

Of course, you know this means you'll have to make some awakened monkey monks with levels in this class.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    Of course, you know this means you'll have to make some awakened monkey monks with levels in this class.
    Hmm, I wonder if I should make it a class feature that they get monkey ninja followers at, say, 8th level.

Other than that, I added a bit of fluff. I still may add more.

Also, what do you think of giving them a tail?
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

A tail would be nifty.
    Make it prehensile, so they can pick up small objects like potion bottles and cutlery, but not enough to wield a weapon.
    I'd thought of designing a monkey-ish race with a tail like that.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd thought of designing a monkey-ish race with a tail like that.
    As if we haven't got anough saiyans yet?
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Excuse me ignorance, but what are saiyans?
    Edit; After quick searches, they're them wierdos from Dragonball.
    Eww.
    What I wanted for my monkey race wasn't some crazy martial arts race, but a race brought up in the jungle, and thus have some features of monkies, some of humans.
    Climb speed, the prehensile tail, and the ability to pick things up with their feet. Bonus to dexterity most likely. Should really get round to that.
    Last edited by Jibar; 2007-01-19 at 01:34 PM.
    Nothing but a Nobody

11. - Top - End - #11

Hmm, I wonder if I should make it a class feature that they get monkey ninja followers at, say, 8th level.
    Simple. Give them a class ability equivalent to a watered-down Leadership, but applicable only to monkeys as followers. Hee!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Excuse me ignorance, but what are saiyans?
    Edit; After quick searches, they're them wierdos from Dragonball.
    Eww.
    What I wanted for my monkey race wasn't some crazy martial arts race, but a race brought up in the jungle, and thus have some features of monkies, some of humans.
    Climb speed, the prehensile tail, and the ability to pick things up with their feet. Bonus to dexterity most likely. Should really get round to that.
    Though if they did become monks, they could take this prestige class and be monkey monkey master monks.

And I like the Leadership idea, too.

Additionally, I think I need to make a feat: Mystical Monkey Power.
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Would it give you a small selection of spells to cast based around monkies?
    Or it could be a prerequisite to this class.
    Nothing but a Nobody

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Additionally, I think I need to make a feat: Mystical Monkey Power.
    It would be better as an artifact.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arachnid View Post
    It would be better as an artifact.
    Are you sure about that? I was thinking that there would be three artifacts, the Jade Monkey Statues, which imbued someone with Mystical Monkey Power.

Plus, having Mystical Monkey Power is a prerequisite to wield the Lotus Blade.
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

16. - Top - End - #16

Class Skills
    A Monkey Master's Class Skills are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Disable Device (Dex), Escape Artist (Dex), Jump (Str), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex) and Use Rope (Dex).
    Er, a bit too specialized, d'ya think? At the very least it also needs Knowledge (arcana) in order to have a chance of using the jade monkey statues, or achieving mystical monkey power for that matter. Also, this is still a monk prestige class and thus needs some skills based on Wisdom: Sense Motive for feints, Spot and Listen (which also fits the monkey theme), and Craft and Profession to make use of those nimble fingers.

Anyway, double dex bonus to AC is a bit much, if you're going to keep the monk's Wis bonus and AC progression. It wouldn't be rare or even uncommon to have a Weapon Finesse monk walking around with 20 Dexterity at level 8, which is the first possible opening for this class.. That means 10+10 Dex+3 Wis+2 monk=25 AC unarmored. At level eight. That also means that the gp from lack of armor is spent, as usual, on AC bonus items like Bracers of Armor or on Gloves of Dexterity, which is an even cheaper way to rack up the AC bonus. Keep it as normal, the huge Dex skills selection is more than enough incentive to make a Dex Monkey Master.
    Last edited by Eighth_Seraph; 2007-01-20 at 02:02 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Er, a bit too specialized, d'ya think? At the very least it also needs Knowledge (arcana) in order to have a chance of using the jade monkey statues, or achieving mystical monkey power for that matter.

Anyway, double dex bonus to AC is a bit much, if you're going to keep the monk's Wis bonus and AC progression. It wouldn't be rare or even uncommon to have a Weapon Finesse monk walking around with 20 Dexterity at level 8, which is the first possible opening for this class.. That means 10+10 Dex+3 Wis+2 monk=25 AC unarmored. At level eight. That also means that the gp from lack of armor is spent, as usual, on AC bonus items like Bracers of Armor or on Gloves of Dexterity, which is an even cheaper way to rack up the AC bonus. Keep it as normal, the huge Dex skills selection is more than enough incentive to make a Dex Monkey Master.
    Yeah, I actually had the twice Dex bonus in before you convinced me to keep progressing the Monk's AC bonus, and I had just simply forgotten about the Wisdom Modifier bonus. So I am going to take that out.

As for the skills, you're right, though I'm not sure that it wouldn't be Knowledge (Religion) instead.

I have some more updates to make to it anyway, so I'll get to that.

Edit: OK, I changed some things and summarized them in the "Last Update" block.
    Last edited by mikeejimbo; 2007-01-20 at 02:33 PM.
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

18. - Top - End - #18

This is lookin' really good now. Nicely done with the mystical monkey power. However, I believe the lotus blade was a katana, or maybe a wakizashi. Maybe also give it the ability to turn into any martial weapon that the weilder knows of?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I'm made nervous by the thought that there must somewhere exist unAwakened Monkey Ninjas.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

True, it probably was a katana, but I forgot you could have those in D&D.

And I did say you can turn it into any weapon you wish:

Quote Originally Posted by mikeejimbo
    A wielder with Mystical Monkey Power may, as a move action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity, will the Lotus Blade to change shape into any other weapon he wishes.
    I would say this is effectively an "any weapon you know of" too, because if, in character, you don't know of it, you wouldn't wish for it. At least I would hope.
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Not bad. Seems a bit weak in the beginning levels. A little goofy with the whole mokey ninja thing..

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fredderf View Post
    Not bad. Seems a bit weak in the beginning levels. A little goofy with the whole mokey ninja thing..
    I did consider giving them full BAB progression, but that makes things weird. And the monkey ninjas are deliberate, because there's a martial arts style based off of monkeys. Also, I mostly got the idea from Kim Possible.

Next, I should make Ron as an NPC. Or heck, a PC. Kim too.
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

If you do I will love you forever.
    My God I need to stop watching cartoons...
    Well...Disney cartoons...
    Last edited by Jibar; 2007-01-24 at 11:12 AM.
    Nothing but a Nobody

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

If you do I will love you forever.
    My God I need to stop watching cartoons...
    Well...Disney cartoons...
    The problem, of course, is the classes. I guess commoner, and I think that Ron should get a level of Monkey Master, even if he doesn't qualify otherwise. And I do think classes are the way to go, since they're normal humans.

Is there a cheerleader class?
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

I think you've found your next project.
    Though, I'd have though that KIm was a gesalt monk//rogue.
    Skill points, and kung fu.
    Nothing but a Nobody

26. - Top - End - #26
    Halfling in the Playground

Oh my god.

Awakened Monkey Ninjas.

The class is cool too, but I'm stealing the Monkey Ninja idea.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Halfling in the Playground

In a campaign I was just in the DM threw us agaisnt four-armed purple ninja monkeys. They could be the archnemisi of the regular ninja monkeys.

Everlight Dungeon Crawl: Eberk Battleheart
    D'Emrenius Keep: Aramil

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

I think you've found your next project.
    Though, I'd have though that KIm was a gesalt monk//rogue.
    Skill points, and kung fu.
    True, she can do anything. Though I've never seen her unleash a flurry of blows.
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

I was expecting something more nature based, something more like this, though the Kim Possible vilian is cool too.

The class seems a little weak to me. The abilities it gets are nifty, but i just don't see them being that helpful in combat. I'd suggest looking through some of the more agility or animal focused feats (wild feats) and classes (animal master, thief acrobat) for some abilities to give the class some extra oomph.
    Foolish girl! I am a druid, I have special abilities that are more powerful than your entire class! -Leeky Windstaff, evil gnome druid

On yer feet an' face me! Ye may haf the upper hand in magic, but thar's na way a primary spellcaster like ye can survive in melee fer long if'n he hadn't prepared fer it!

Ah, right. Druid. Ne'er mind, then.
    -Durkon Thundershield

Thanks to Simius for the awesome avatar!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Perhaps give it the ability to Wild Shape into a Monkey as per the druid ability, but retaining the powers of the Monkey Master.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2