Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Death's End Re-Recruitment: 3.5, 8th level

Quote Originally Posted by Piggy Knowles View Post
    I have a pretty good idea of the character's fluff, which I'll post once I get it in a prettier format. I'm not trying to steal OMG PONIES' style*, but I tend to also do backgrounds in the form of a few small vignettes.

*Aw, who am I kidding, I'm totally trying to steal OMG PONIES' style
    Somebody said something once about imitation and flattery.
    Iron Chef Optimization Challenge Old Head and Unofficial Archivist
    Yelling at You Dang Kids to Get Off my Lawn Since 2010

This is what happens when they let me DM: Beyond the Horizon!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm looking for a new D&D campaign to play in, so color me interested. I'll go ahead and attempt roll up my stats.

(4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[11]

Also, quick question: If they are all level 5, why do you want us to be level 8?

Edit: It's late and I'm getting kind of sleepy, so I'll decide what character I might want to make in the morning. I've got about 10 ideas in my head right now...
    Last edited by Rathgar; 2013-12-29 at 12:29 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rathgar View Post
    Also, quick question: If they are all level 5, why do you want us to be level 8?
    Thats a good question, and I'm glad somebody asked it. The party is on the verge of 6th level (meaning that they'll attain within the week). I have to finish off this story arc, which is now nearing it's conclusion. Then I will use the 'Time Skip' house rule from the 16, and advance them to the bottom of level 8. It will represent over a month of adventuring between the end of the first part of my game and the beginning of the second. It also means that whoever I eventually pick for the game will have to be comfortable waiting in the wings for a little while. I am trying to expedite the story a little bit, but I don't like to sacrifice quality for speed if I can help it. Hopefully it won't be too long of a wait.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2013-12-31 at 09:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamingMage View Post
    You divine bastard.
    Spoiler: My Profile
    Show

Current Games:
    - Death's End (DM)
    - Reincarnation Wars (Alexander Idrian)
    - After Mourning (DM)

Past avatar by Ceika!

"The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Interested, I have a few ideas.

Rolls:
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[6]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[11]

EDIT: Pffft, haha. Point-buy it is, then.

Are the characters of the players who left going to stay with the party?

EDIT 2: I guess that Warlock is banned as an invocation-user due to your rules?

EDIT 3: Woah. Reading the lore again, I just realized that I applied to this game before, or at least one with the same setting. The Reaper Cults...
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2013-12-29 at 11:08 AM.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Um.. I asked a few questions. Posts 17 and 21. Have they been overlooked.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togo View Post
    Um.. I asked a few questions. Posts 17 and 21. Have they been overlooked.
    Ah, my apologies. I have no preference in terms of paladins versus alternates, but I already greenlit the UA variants such as Paladin of Freedom. Spirit Shaman is okay too, you should play a character that you find interesting. Sell me that, and I'm sure I will find them interesting as well.

And as for Miniatures Handbook, I have no problems including it, but it's a bit underpowered.
    You divine bastard.
    Show

Current Games:
    - Death's End (DM)
    - After Mourning (DM)

Past avatar by Ceika!

"The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post
    Are the characters of the players who left going to stay with the party?

EDIT 2: I guess that Warlock is banned as an invocation-user due to your rules?
    In other news, I did a bit of work on the map, 'cause it was sideways.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Then I did this, but could only do some of the important landmarks because I wasn't sure which towns were which.

Then I did this because why not?

Contested (I think) area gave me some trouble.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2013-12-29 at 12:07 PM.

Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, that's some incredible work. I think I'm going to throw that first one up on the OP when I have proper computer access.
    You divine bastard.
    Show

Current Games:
    - Death's End (DM)
    - After Mourning (DM)

Past avatar by Ceika!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Not incredible enough to get my questions answered, though.

Nah, I understand, if you're on a mobile or similar, then it can be tough to even read a post with something like that in it.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Not incredible enough to get my questions answered, though.

Nah, I understand, if you're on a mobile or similar, then it can be tough to even read a post with something like that in it.
    Oh, I have no problem with Warlocks, or Dragonfire Adepts for that matter, they absolutely fit in the world (although almost nobody on the continent has seen dragons since before the Justinians arrived).
    You divine bastard.
    Show

Current Games:
    - Death's End (DM)
    - After Mourning (DM)

Past avatar by Ceika!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Ah. Interesting. How big are you on using a class' pre-made fluff?

Warlock opens up a ton of options, but they only rarely never run with the 'pact with fiends' thing presented in CA.

EDIT: A few of my ideas require a far-off country/culture, with its own pantheon, etc.

Would you be cool with this, or would you prefer I stick to the mapped area?

EDIT 2: If I go for a theurge type, would you allow for early-entry tricks a la Versatile Spellcaster + Heighten Spell.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2013-12-29 at 02:50 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42

Well, there are three different characters I'm considering right now. I can't decide between a Halfling Rogue/Master Thrower, Half-Ogre Fighter/Hulking Hurler, or a Human Fighter/Pious Templar of Necrovian. The Pious Templar is the one I've given the most thought to, but I'll probably decide either tonight or in the morning.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah. Interesting. How big are you on using a class' pre-made fluff?

Warlock opens up a ton of options, but they only rarely never run with the 'pact with fiends' thing presented in CA.

EDIT: A few of my ideas require a far-off country/culture, with its own pantheon, etc.

Would you be cool with this, or would you prefer I stick to the mapped area?

EDIT 2: If I go for a theurge type, would you allow for early-entry tricks a la Versatile Spellcaster + Heighten Spell.
    I'm usually pretty open to keeping the fluff as neutral as possible, you're welcome to adapt the 'pact with fiends' angle if you wish. That would be something to do over PMs, though. I will ask you to try and stay on the continent, but your character can also be from the Howling Isles, to the south of Siara. It's a warmer and dryer climate, a bit like Malta or Tunisia.

And that's a no to early theurge entry, sorry. Those are powerful classes already, I can't have you totally overshadowing the party.
    You divine bastard.
    Show

Current Games:
    - Death's End (DM)
    - After Mourning (DM)

Past avatar by Ceika!

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    I'm usually pretty open to keeping the fluff as neutral as possible, you're welcome to adapt the 'pact with fiends' angle if you wish. That would be something to do over PMs, though.
    Alright.

I will ask you to try and stay on the continent, but your character can also be from the Howling Isles, to the south of Siara. It's a warmer and dryer climate, a bit like Malta or Tunisia.
    Hmmmm. Is there a good spot for a relatively isolated group to form their own culture?

I'm pretty sure I won't be going for that, based on your response, so I'm not super attached to it, but I'd like to know if any of my similar ideas would work.

And that's a no to early theurge entry, sorry. Those are powerful classes already, I can't have you totally overshadowing the party.
    Ah, I see. That tells me something important. I normally see early entry as important for not getting bogged down in two single-advancement classes on a caster, but in this case I don't think that's necessary.

EDIT: Another question. Far Realm stuff? Planning on taking Aberrant feats and having a character interested in it. Aberrant feats are from Lords of Madness.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2013-12-29 at 05:44 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Question: It's mostly just a fluff thing, but being that my character is both a gnome and a saboteur, I'd like him to carry around a pick. (It'll be a miner's pick, not a combat pick - he doesn't really do melee).

That said, picks by RAW are actually pretty useless - being piercing weapons, they basically can't touch stone. It's something I've always found ridiculous, since the rules on attacking objects means a pick can't breach stone but a quarterstaff can.

If I carry around a pick, is there any chance I can have it deal damage to objects as though it were bludgeoning instead of piercing? If not, I'll just get a hammer instead - it's just fluff that makes me want to specifically use a pick.

EDIT: Also, I'm picking languages. Definitely nabbing Terran, just because the base fluff of whisper gnomes says that they tend to use Terran as sort of a secret language. That said, I've got several more languages to choose, and I'd like to pick languages that would make sense character-wise. Carlo is originally from the northern foothills of Siara, but has spent much of his life traveling since the Collapse. What languages are commonly spoken in Siara, and in the various footholds of the Onyx Republic?
    Last edited by Piggy Knowles; 2013-12-29 at 07:25 PM.
    Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus: Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD MEDALS
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Looking at the current PC sheets, I noticed that one of them does actually have a flaw...does this mean they are allowed, on a case-by-case basis, or is it something that just slipped past everyone involved?

HP: (7d4)[15]

Another question. Could I use a Wizard bonus feat to pick up a Reserve feat?

17. - Top - End - #47

O.K., I'm currently working on Festus the Pious Templar, and I wanted to know what you thought about the Faith Feats in the Complete Divine, which are powered up by the player actively RPing their character's religious beliefs and practicing what they preach. I can understand fully if you think that's too much work, I just thought they were interesting and figured I might as well ask.

On a related note, I would like to know a little more about Necrovian. I read that he doesn't really have a large number of followers, but does he have any temples at all dedicated to him, like maybe for funerals and the like? Or are the temples instead temples dedicated to the pantheon as a whole?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking at the current PC sheets, I noticed that one of them does actually have a flaw...does this mean they are allowed, on a case-by-case basis, or is it something that just slipped past everyone involved?

Another question. Could I use a Wizard bonus feat to pick up a Reserve feat?
    Yeah, I forgot that Calia had taken Shaky. Sure, you can have a feat, but I'm going to say no to the Reserve feat unless it is explicit in RAW. You can use your shiny new bonus feat for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rathgar View Post
    O.K., I'm currently working on Festus the Pious Templar, and I wanted to know what you thought about the Faith Feats in the Complete Divine, which are powered up by the player actively RPing their character's religious beliefs and practicing what they preach. I can understand fully if you think that's too much work, I just thought they were interesting and figured I might as well ask.

On a related note, I would like to know a little more about Necrovian. I read that he doesn't really have a large number of followers, but does he have any temples at all dedicated to him, like maybe for funerals and the like? Or are the temples instead temples dedicated to the pantheon as a whole?
    In terms of RP, there should almost be no such thing as overdoing it, and in particular that sounds like a great idea. And the temples to the Twelve Divines are built as one, which is actually much more in keeping with the Ancient Greek tradition than the Roman one, so Necrovian isn't worshipped outside of his own clergy (there are branches of the old priesthood that favor each god, but almost everyone worships all twelve).
    You divine bastard.
    Show

Current Games:
    - Death's End (DM)
    - After Mourning (DM)

Past avatar by Ceika!

19. - Top - End - #49

Alright, good to hear, I'm going to be finishing up my Pious Templar. Everybody, meet Festus Ilderson (work in progress). He won't be a Pious Templar of just Necrovian, but rather the pantheon as a whole. However, since he's essentially a temple guard with a special connection with the divine (deriving power from the pantheon without being in the clergy), he feels like he's an enforcer of the judgement of Necrovian. I'll expand on that a little more in the character description, but I'll try to not write a novel.

20. - Top - End - #50

Please excuse my double post, but I can't roll dice during an edit. So here we go, let's try to get these hit dice rolled up.

(7d10)[3][6][2][3][4][2][4](24)

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

EDIT: Another question. Far Realm stuff? Planning on taking Aberrant feats and having a character interested in it. Aberrant feats are from Lords of Madness.
    *inconspicuous whistling*

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    Yeah, I forgot that Calia had taken Shaky. Sure, you can have a feat, but I'm going to say no to the Reserve feat unless it is explicit in RAW. You can use your shiny new bonus feat for it!
    Reserve feats are RAW!

But that isn't what you meant, is it?

Alright, I guess I'll take a Flaw. I normally don't like to, but...eh.

EDIT: How do you feel about custom magic items?
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2013-12-30 at 07:43 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

*inconspicuous whistling*

Reserve feats are RAW!

But that isn't what you meant, is it?

Alright, I guess I'll take a Flaw. I normally don't like to, but...eh.
    You can take Aberration feats, but they would be a deal more esoteric than anything else in the game so far. And I know that Reserve feats are RAW, I meant that the Wizard bonus feats don't specifically allow you to take Reserve feats. But I suspect you know that already.

I'll add the 'one Flaw' entry to the OP.
    You divine bastard.
    Show

Current Games:
    - Death's End (DM)
    - After Mourning (DM)

Past avatar by Ceika!

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Duly noted.

Question: What are your feelings on custom magic items?

Elara paints, and I was thinking some kind of nigh-endless supply of canvas would be nice. She'd be using pretty large ones (something like 1.5 by 3 feet) and she could only fit ~14 of those in a Handy Haversack.

Would it work if I just purchased a Bag of Holding and say it's half full with various painting equipment? A stand, paints, brushes (the paints and brushes she would spend time keeping repaired and/or replacing them in town) and plenty of canvas?

Sheet so far.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2013-12-30 at 10:06 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

OK, Carlo Rosseli is done. I haven't added the fluff and description to the actual character sheet, because I'm having some issues with mythweavers right now, but the crunch is up to date, and here is the fluff. As I mentioned, I wrote it in a series of three vignettes.

Carlo Rosseli, the Partisan, spy and resistance fighter for the Onyx Republic

Whisper Gnome, Beguiler 8

(Theme music)

TL:DR backstory version: Carlo Rosseli is an 89 year old gnome from the foothills of northern Siara whose earliest memories include the Collapse and the death of most of his family. He has devoted his life to forging a new, safe place with the Onyx Republic, a world where such tragedies cannot occur. He is particularly opposed to the Neo-Imperials, who he believes want to bring back the old days of strife and death for his people.

A HISTORY IN THREE PARTS
    Spoiler: A History in Three Parts
    Show

PART I - COLLAPSE

When they poured across the border,
    I was cautioned to surrender.
    This I could not do...

Carlo Rosseli was eight years old when it all fell apart.

Those late days were dark days, days of burning towns and days of reapers and above all else, days of the masked terror that was Khosule. In the foothills of northern Siara, much of the worst passed by the hidden enclave of the Rosseli gnomes, dark and secret gnomes who lived deep beneath the earth. Carlo was the sixth of nine children, born to two quiet laborers and staunch supporters of the Republican Five, the five Justinian noblemen who dared to secede from the interminable and bloated empire, who dared to give up their comfortable lives for a dream of freedom.

But every dream must end and every dreamer must wake, and when the all-consuming fires of the Collapse spread across the continent, even Carlo's quiet home did not escape it.

Of his life before the Collapse, Carlo remembers little. Of his parents and his brothers and his sisters, Carlo remembers little. Eight years is not so very long a time for a gnome, and in the soft earth and rock of the hills, the years can move by swiftly. But Carlo remembers the Collapse, and Carlo remembers the fires.

What else is there to say? In the first days of fighting, Carlo saw three of his siblings die. By the time the fires died down, only he and one of his brothers remained. Eleven members of the Rosseli clan lived in that serpentine hollow beneath the hills, but in the end, only two emerged, eight year old Carlo and his seventeen year old brother Pietro.

It haunts him. Every single day, it haunts him.

PART II - RESISTANCE

I have changed my name so often,
    I have lost my wife and children,
    but I have many friends...

Carlo stepped into the light of the guard's lantern, a small dark shadow peeling away from the wall like a bead of mercury. The guard wheeled around, lantern flickering with the sudden gesture, and scrambled madly for his crossbow.

Carlo stepped close and flipped the hem of his dark cloak, a small pin with an onyx head glinting. "Careful, brother," he said, his soft voice barely carrying. "I'm a friend, Debbs. You should be more observant, you know. A man in your line of work can't afford to ignore the shadows."

The startled guard looked down at the pin and shook his head. "Twelve Divinities," he grunted. "Where the hells did you come from? I swear I scanned this area just a minute ago. You're from the Republic?"

Carlo nodded. "Luigi Fabbri," he said, extending a hand. "Come on, let's go somewhere and talk."

Inside a small guard's shack, things were calmer. Debbs poured steaming mugs from a small brass kettle while Carlo spread maps over a low table. "Most of the skirmishes have been right at the Collea border, so the Neo-Imperials can claim that it's contested land," he said, his tiny hands marking a few spots on the map showing the shared border between Collea and Nenda. "But Sarethus and his lackeys have been pushing the border forward bit by bit for the past few years."

Debbs shook his head. He towered over the tiny man dressed in dark colors, and had to stand back to keep from looming over him. "I'd have hoped that Sarethus would calm down in his old age," he said.

"It's mostly his son Tertian running things now," Carlo sighed. "From what our intelligence shows, he's got as much bloodlust as Darian ever had. Mark my word, the Neo-Imperials are going to be worse then ever in the decades to come."

Debbs leaned down close to the map. "So I guess we can expect more border incursions then," he said. "Well, we've gotten pretty good at holding those off. But I -" He stopped talking, staring at the small gnome's craggy face. Some spark of recognition fired then. "Hey, don't I know you? You're from western Collea, right? You were one of the crew that exposed the false praetor, right? But you weren't called Luigi then. Twelve Divinites, man, that was almost twenty years ago!"

Carlo smiled. "I've lived a long time, Debbs," he said. "And I've had a lot of names. Luigi Fabbri is just the latest." He shook his head, the decades of fighting crossing his eyes for just a moment before they cleared once more, and he looked back down at the map. "Anyhow, no, from what I've gathered the next attack isn't going to come at the border. Sarethus has most of his strength at sea, and it looks like he's building up for a coastal attack this time..."

PART III - REMEMBRANCE

Oh, the wind, the wind is blowing,
    through the graves the wind is blowing,
    freedom soon will come...

Eighty-one years. How many times had the sun rose and set in those eighty-one years? How many battles had been fought, how many people had died? Carlo Rosseli was still a young gnome by the standards of his family, still standing strong before the cusp of middle age. By the reckoning of his family, he was in the prime of his life.

But his family was all dead, every one of them, and standing over their graves, Carlo Rosseli felt like an old man.

He seldom came back to this part of Siara these days. These old family foothills were rarely important to anyone. The Collapse had seen to that, and in the fires that spread across Brelan following it, most of the gnomes had long been burned out of these hills. Carlo himself stayed too busy to visit here often. More than four score years had passed, and the number of times he was able to truly rest could be counted on one hand. There was the four year stretch he had managed to settle down with Nan, had their first children, and...

...no. This was no time to think of that. Nan and the children were long gone, lost to the mists of time just as his family was gone. Their faces blended together with the sea of faces that had crashed past him on the waves of time. Eighty-one years was not so very long a time, not when you measured it in years. His father had lived almost two centuries, after all. But measured in lives? Why, then it was an eternity.

The graves were little things that Carlo and his brother Pietro had dug into their ancestral hills, marked with rough stones. Thirty years later Carlo returned here to bury Pietro as well. They were all here, the last remnants of Carlo's family.

"I did this all for you," he said, standing over the onyx stone he used to mark Pietro's grave. "All of you, you know? To build a place for all of you, a place where this sort of thing doesn't happen." He shook his head, his long hair falling out of its rough knot to puddle around his shoulders. "Sarethus and his brood - they want the old country back. They want the glory of empire back, even if it means the terror of pale fire and the madness of the Reapers come back with it. They don't care that our hills burned because of that madness. They don't care that we finally have a chance to build something - something new, something great. I have to fight, you know? I'm sorry I'm not here more, but I can't just let it be. There's still more to do. There's - there's always more to do."

He stood silently, then, over the rough stones, those dots marking a life he barely remembered.

"Happy anniversary," Carlo muttered, and turned his back to begin the the long trek back to Collea.

The only thing unfinished is the language selection, because I'm not sure what languages would be appropriate for a resistance fighter and spy for the Onyx Republic. If you think there's something he should definitely know, or have any questions about the character, please let me know!
    Last edited by Piggy Knowles; 2013-12-30 at 11:32 AM.
    Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus: Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD MEDALS
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Duly noted.

Question: What are your feelings on custom magic items?

Elara paints, and I was thinking some kind of nigh-endless supply of canvas would be nice. She'd be using pretty large ones (something like 1.5 by 3 feet) and she could only fit ~14 of those in a Handy Haversack.

Would it work if I just purchased a Bag of Holding and say it's half full with various painting equipment? A stand, paints, brushes (the paints and brushes she would spend time keeping repaired and/or replacing them in town) and plenty of canvas?

Sheet so far.
    Yeah, a Bag of Holding would be fine. Giving your character painting as a hobby is an interesting choice, and I wonder what it says about her.

Quote Originally Posted by Piggy Knowles View Post
    OK, Carlo Rosseli is done. I haven't added the fluff and description to the actual character sheet, because I'm having some issues with mythweavers right now, but the crunch is up to date, and here is the fluff. As I mentioned, I wrote it in a series of three vignettes.

Carlo Rosseli, the Partisan, spy and resistance fighter for the Onyx Republic

Whisper Gnome, Beguiler 8

(Theme music)

TL:DR backstory version: Carlo Rosseli is an 89 year old gnome from the foothills of northern Siara whose earliest memories include the Collapse and the death of most of his family. He has devoted his life to forging a new, safe place with the Onyx Republic, a world where such tragedies cannot occur. He is particularly opposed to the Neo-Imperials, who he believes want to bring back the old days of strife and death for his people.

A HISTORY IN THREE PARTS
    Spoiler: A History in Three Parts
    Show

PART I - COLLAPSE

When they poured across the border,
    I was cautioned to surrender.
    This I could not do...

Carlo Rosseli was eight years old when it all fell apart.

Those late days were dark days, days of burning towns and days of reapers and above all else, days of the masked terror that was Khosule. In the foothills of northern Siara, much of the worst passed by the hidden enclave of the Rosseli gnomes, dark and secret gnomes who lived deep beneath the earth. Carlo was the sixth of nine children, born to two quiet laborers and staunch supporters of the Republican Five, the five Justinian noblemen who dared to secede from the interminable and bloated empire, who dared to give up their comfortable lives for a dream of freedom.

But every dream must end and every dreamer must wake, and when the all-consuming fires of the Collapse spread across the continent, even Carlo's quiet home did not escape it.

Of his life before the Collapse, Carlo remembers little. Of his parents and his brothers and his sisters, Carlo remembers little. Eight years is not so very long a time for a gnome, and in the soft earth and rock of the hills, the years can move by swiftly. But Carlo remembers the Collapse, and Carlo remembers the fires.

What else is there to say? In the first days of fighting, Carlo saw three of his siblings die. By the time the fires died down, only he and one of his brothers remained. Eleven members of the Rosseli clan lived in that serpentine hollow beneath the hills, but in the end, only two emerged, eight year old Carlo and his seventeen year old brother Pietro.

It haunts him. Every single day, it haunts him.

PART II - RESISTANCE

I have changed my name so often,
    I have lost my wife and children,
    but I have many friends...

Carlo stepped into the light of the guard's lantern, a small dark shadow peeling away from the wall like a bead of mercury. The guard wheeled around, lantern flickering with the sudden gesture, and scrambled madly for his crossbow.

Carlo stepped close and flipped the hem of his dark cloak, a small pin with an onyx head glinting. "Careful, brother," he said, his soft voice barely carrying. "I'm a friend, Debbs. You should be more observant, you know. A man in your line of work can't afford to ignore the shadows."

The startled guard looked down at the pin and shook his head. "Twelve Divinities," he grunted. "Where the hells did you come from? I swear I scanned this area just a minute ago. You're from the Republic?"

Carlo nodded. "Luigi Fabbri," he said, extending a hand. "Come on, let's go somewhere and talk."

Inside a small guard's shack, things were calmer. Debbs poured steaming mugs from a small brass kettle while Carlo spread maps over a low table. "Most of the skirmishes have been right at the Collea border, so the Neo-Imperials can claim that it's contested land," he said, his tiny hands marking a few spots on the map showing the shared border between Collea and Nenda. "But Sarethus and his lackeys have been pushing the border forward bit by bit for the past few years."

Debbs shook his head. He towered over the tiny man dressed in dark colors, and had to stand back to keep from looming over him. "I'd have hoped that Sarethus would calm down in his old age," he said.

"It's mostly his son Tertian running things now," Carlo sighed. "From what our intelligence shows, he's got as much bloodlust as Darian ever had. Mark my word, the Neo-Imperials are going to be worse then ever in the decades to come."

Debbs leaned down close to the map. "So I guess we can expect more border incursions then," he said. "Well, we've gotten pretty good at holding those off. But I -" He stopped talking, staring at the small gnome's craggy face. Some spark of recognition fired then. "Hey, don't I know you? You're from western Collea, right? You were one of the crew that exposed the false praetor, right? But you weren't called Luigi then. Twelve Divinites, man, that was almost twenty years ago!"

Carlo smiled. "I've lived a long time, Debbs," he said. "And I've had a lot of names. Luigi Fabbri is just the latest." He shook his head, the decades of fighting crossing his eyes for just a moment before they cleared once more, and he looked back down at the map. "Anyhow, no, from what I've gathered the next attack isn't going to come at the border. Sarethus has most of his strength at sea, and it looks like he's building up for a coastal attack this time..."

PART III - REMEMBRANCE

Oh, the wind, the wind is blowing,
    through the graves the wind is blowing,
    freedom soon will come...

Eighty-one years. How many times had the sun rose and set in those eighty-one years? How many battles had been fought, how many people had died? Carlo Rosseli was still a young gnome by the standards of his family, still standing strong before the cusp of middle age. By the reckoning of his family, he was in the prime of his life.

But his family was all dead, every one of them, and standing over their graves, Carlo Rosseli felt like an old man.

He seldom came back to this part of Siara these days. These old family foothills were rarely important to anyone. The Collapse had seen to that, and in the fires that spread across Brelan following it, most of the gnomes had long been burned out of these hills. Carlo himself stayed too busy to visit here often. More than four score years had passed, and the number of times he was able to truly rest could be counted on one hand. There was the four year stretch he had managed to settle down with Nan, had their first children, and...

...no. This was no time to think of that. Nan and the children were long gone, lost to the mists of time just as his family was gone. Their faces blended together with the sea of faces that had crashed past him on the waves of time. Eighty-one years was not so very long a time, not when you measured it in years. His father had lived almost two centuries, after all. But measured in lives? Why, then it was an eternity.

The graves were little things that Carlo and his brother Pietro had dug into their ancestral hills, marked with rough stones. Thirty years later Carlo returned here to bury Pietro as well. They were all here, the last remnants of Carlo's family.

"I did this all for you," he said, standing over the onyx stone he used to mark Pietro's grave. "All of you, you know? To build a place for all of you, a place where this sort of thing doesn't happen." He shook his head, his long hair falling out of its rough knot to puddle around his shoulders. "Sarethus and his brood - they want the old country back. They want the glory of empire back, even if it means the terror of pale fire and the madness of the Reapers come back with it. They don't care that our hills burned because of that madness. They don't care that we finally have a chance to build something - something new, something great. I have to fight, you know? I'm sorry I'm not here more, but I can't just let it be. There's still more to do. There's - there's always more to do."

He stood silently, then, over the rough stones, those dots marking a life he barely remembered.

"Happy anniversary," Carlo muttered, and turned his back to begin the the long trek back to Collea.

The only thing unfinished is the language selection, because I'm not sure what languages would be appropriate for a resistance fighter and spy for the Onyx Republic. If you think there's something he should definitely know, or have any questions about the character, please let me know!
    I will properly go over your character, as well as the others, and when I get home I will read everything over carefully. For now though, I'm liking what I'm reading. Now, to answer some of your questions:

1) You may use a pickaxe instead of a hammer.

2) Several common languages around the Onyx Republic are Goblin, Elven, and Orc. A good percentage of the Republic's rural (and even urban) population is comprised of formerly nomadic tribes of orcs and goblins that came down from the Pillars of the Moon. Mostly goblins and hobgoblins, though.
    You divine bastard.
    Show

Current Games:
    - Death's End (DM)
    - After Mourning (DM)

Past avatar by Ceika!

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Hit points:

First level max of 8, then
    (d8)[5], (d8)[2],
    (d10)[4], (d10)[8], (d10)[7], (d10)[7], (d10)[9]

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

The character Myr is complete. Should you choose this character, I'd like to tweak the equipment and/or skills so as not to overlap with other characters, but it's not strictly necessary.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=748192

Happy to entertain revisions, suggestions and alterations to better fit in with the game or the background.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togo View Post
    The character Myr is complete. Should you choose this character, I'd like to tweak the equipment and/or skills so as not to overlap with other characters, but it's not strictly necessary.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=748192

Happy to entertain revisions, suggestions and alterations to better fit in with the game or the background.
    Okay, I really like the fluff you've presented me with. However, I can't seem to see any of his abilities other than Charisma score, his player entry name, race, touch AC, most of his skills, and a few other things. I am aware that Mythweavers has a really frustrating tendency to occasionally 'delete' most or all the data off of otherwise completed sheets, and I'm afraid that's what has happened to most of your main crunch.

Everyone: I am making a few major adjustments to recruitment. The first is that all player should include a major or minor exploit that their character has accomplished during their life. At 8th level, you might be starting to get some local renown - or not, if you're playing a nomadic character. Some of you have already taken this approach when writing backstories, which is good. The second, and decidedly more important adjustment is that I am expanding the slots to include two players! This game started with six players, and I've decided to bring it all the way back up to that number. Consequently, I can handle more submissions. If you know of anyone who you think would make a good addition and you would like to play with, go ahead and point them to this thread. I would love to read more of your stories.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2013-12-30 at 08:19 PM.
    You divine bastard.
    Show

Current Games:
    - Death's End (DM)
    - After Mourning (DM)

Past avatar by Ceika!

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Can we vote for each other? Because having seen Piggy and Togo's work before, I can vouch that they're both excellent writers and roleplayers.

I'll have to think up a minor and major exploit for Luci. Is it cool if the exploits aren't known as hers? I'm picturing her as more of a "power behind the throne" type, where everyone knows the movers and shakers who caused the exploits...but none know that Luci was the one who first whispered the idea in their ears.
    Iron Chef Optimization Challenge Old Head and Unofficial Archivist
    Yelling at You Dang Kids to Get Off my Lawn Since 2010

This is what happens when they let me DM: Beyond the Horizon!

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    Can we vote for each other? Because having seen Piggy and Togo's work before, I can vouch that they're both excellent writers and roleplayers.

I'll have to think up a minor and major exploit for Luci. Is it cool if the exploits aren't known as hers? I'm picturing her as more of a "power behind the throne" type, where everyone knows the movers and shakers who caused the exploits...but none know that Luci was the one who first whispered the idea in their ears.
    You can indeed vote for each other, and I will take all recommendations seriously.

As far as exploits go, they don't have to be public, I mean more things that your character has actually done. Whether or not other people know of such acts is entirely dependent on the nature and scope of the action in question. At 8th level though, you're not a nobody. Especially not when most NPCs aren't higher than 6th level.

@PersonMan: When you're talking about 'custom' magic items, do you mean swapping out items with body slot affinities? Because there are rules for that in both the DMG and in MiC: it costs 1.5 times as much to change that. If you're talking about anything else, however, I will review it on a case-by-case basis.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2013-12-30 at 11:40 PM.
    You divine bastard.
    Show

Current Games:
    - Death's End (DM)
    - After Mourning (DM)

Past avatar by Ceika!