New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Board Games!

1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Board Games!

I've played the free version of the game on iphone. It's a little tricky to get used to, yeah. I don't know if it's exactly the same version, because it doesn't mention Indines at all. Still, for free you get four characters to play with, though you can fight up to about 25 characters in the arcade mode.

The art for the game is kinda all over the place with different styles for each character. Looks a bit odd.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Seems to be the same game, yeah. I don't remember the art styles being disparate in this version of the game (although they didn't look too divergent in the screenshots the app had), and the app definitely looks like it's using characters from Devastation of Indines. (It's a standalone expansion to the first BattleCon.)

The art for War of Indines (the base game) is a lot more all-over-the-place than the Devstation expansion, from what I can tell. Same mechanics, though.

EDIT: Also, that same night I got to try out Puzzle Strike. Fun game! I think it's now my favorite deckbuilder, mainly because of the gem-crashing mechanic.

It's a head-to-head game, and each player accrues "gems" during the game. When you have 10 gems in your pile, you get to take one action to get rid of some of them. Then, if you still have at least 10 gems, you lose. (So, they're a sort of damage.) You can use actions (which you buy from the bank) to combine 1-value gems into higher-value gems. This is important, because of gem-crashing.

A gem-crash action lets you throw a single gem-chip at your opponent. (So if you only have 1-value chips, you can only throw 1 gem at your opponent...but if you have a 3-value chip, you totally throw 3 gems at your opponent.) The gem busts apart into 1-value chips, and they all go to your opponent's pile. They're going to have to combine those chips into higher-value chips if they want to crash you with a lot of gems.

So, super-interesting way to handle damage. (Also, if you have a crash action in your hand, you can counter-crash with a single chip from your pile, absorbing some or all of your opponent's gem-crash, cancelling the gems out.) The game plays very fast-paced, and it's a lot more active than Dominion.
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2014-02-27 at 04:05 PM.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Firbolg in the Playground

Welp, I forgot to tell you guys. Enjoy your last shreds of sanities. Cthulhu has awoken.

Yeah, last session we just lost an Eldritch Horror game against Cthulhu. It was hillarious how at the very first turns, basically all kind of game ending events pops out already. There's the spider monster that can potentially end the game in three turns, gates popping out everywhere, a bunch of artifact stealers that also will end the game in some turns if not stopped, so on, so on.

I played the lead investigator, a soldier. I was tasked to combat with the epic spider monster, since I was the strongest. But I have just the worst rolls ever.

The hero of the game was the reformed cultist, who closed gates and kill monsters like there was no tomorrow.

But at the end, cthulhu woke up, and everyone turned insane. Sorry guys.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

4. - Top - End - #184

Played the new Sentinels expansion: Vengeance today. The multi-villain team is pretty interesting, but also pretty brutal. It was clear by about turn 4 that we were toast. Admittedly we didn't exactly choose the most optimal team for a three player game (two tried new heroes in the expansion, I stuck with my usual favorite: Fanatic) and that likely had a lot to do with it.

Still, it's a Sentinels expansion, and a good one. Full-size box, too. So if you've run out of space in the base box you can finally get some room to spread out.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Welp, I forgot to tell you guys. Enjoy your last shreds of sanities. Cthulhu has awoken.

Yeah, last session we just lost an Eldritch Horror game against Cthulhu. It was hillarious how at the very first turns, basically all kind of game ending events pops out already. There's the spider monster that can potentially end the game in three turns, gates popping out everywhere, a bunch of artifact stealers that also will end the game in some turns if not stopped, so on, so on.

I played the lead investigator, a soldier. I was tasked to combat with the epic spider monster, since I was the strongest. But I have just the worst rolls ever.

The hero of the game was the reformed cultist, who closed gates and kill monsters like there was no tomorrow.

That's okay. We stopped two other monstrosities this weekend in Arkham. Stopped one before it came up, exterminated the fishmen in Innsmouth and blew up an Old One, despite a -8 to all combat rolls and magical immunity.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    That's okay. We stopped two other monstrosities this weekend in Arkham. Stopped one before it came up, exterminated the fishmen in Innsmouth and blew up an Old One, despite a -8 to all combat rolls and magical immunity.
    "Say hello to my little friend KABOOM."
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    S'okay. I mean, if we're all insane, then really, no ones going to notice. No problem!
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

I uh... I own all the Descent 2nd Ed. expansions now. After forty minutes of sorting I've got everything into three boxes. Hey, I've got four people depending on me for a constant stream of monsters to kill after all. It's a heavy responsibility.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

I just played Trains - it's the first time I've done so, and the whole group is new. I quite like it, but it is a bit simplistic, so it fills a very different niche than Dominion. Which is fine.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Speaking of Dominion... Finally got to try Forbidden Island & Desert with the full group this weekend (consensus - everyone liked Desert better). I had brought along Dominion, thinking we wouldn't have time to actually play it but I wanted to show the mechanic to the older players.

When we finished Desert, about half the group wanted to play it again but everyone said "Let's check out this other game real quick, then we'll finish the day with another round of Desert."

Three games of Dominion later, I had to rush out the door so I wouldn't be late for an appointment (that I'd have otherwise had nearly an hour head start on) I have to say I was surprised at how fast the two older kids picked up on it, although the two younger ones had wandered off & were playing Xbox. The other adults were M:tG players back in the day as well so quickly got the hang of it and liked it.

I have to say it's almost funny how much faster than 2nd & 3rd games were.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Dominion is crazy fast when you're playing with experienced players. I've finished a game in 20 minutes.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Dominion is crazy fast when you're playing with experienced players. I've finished a game in 20 minutes.
    I've finished one in 10. Granted, it involved a Procession-Poor House combo to get a gold economy really quickly, then proceeding to buy through a bunch of action cards (including an Ironworks) as quickly as possible while one Province ahead.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

-- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    I've finished one in 10. Granted, it involved a Procession-Poor House combo to get a gold economy really quickly, then proceeding to buy through a bunch of action cards (including an Ironworks) as quickly as possible while one Province ahead.
    Yowza.

Also, played more BattleCON last night--this time the 3-player boss rush (YIKES! It was punishing and we died on the second boss) and then a 2v2 (where we narrowly won...I got to be the keepaway angel tank blaster).

14. - Top - End - #194
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I picked up Caverna. We tried the simpler version last weekend. I like it a lot. Not sure which I like more Agricola or Caverna...I think I am leaning towards Caverna.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaww View Post
    Lords of Waterdeep are just one more worker placement game, but we know so much about the city from D&D that it makes the game a lot more fun. Haven't played the expansion though if anyone has please let me know how you liked it.
    The expansion is great. Corruption is a solid mechanic, and it allows for multiple playstyles. Added a lot to the experience, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrin View Post
    Any suggestions folks have for good card games?

We don't really enjoy deck building games or collectible card games so those would pretty much be out. We had a blast playing the heck out of Sentinels of the Multiverse this summer and it's still one of our more favorite recent games.

Any suggestions for other great card games?
    If CCGs and deckbuilders are out, what about Guilhall, or Guildhall: Job Faire? The two are the same game: you have 6 roles, each in 5 colors. Your goal is to make Guilds (5 cards of same role, 1 of each color). When you play a card to a Guild, stuff happens. You can then trade a Guild for points and a special action. The interesting thing is that the bigger your Guild is, the more powerful their action will be, so there's an advantage to never closing some Guilds.

The two games can be played standalone, each comes with 6 different roles. If you were to take one, I'd recommend Job Faire, as its roles are usually more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    On the topic of game storage, can anyone think of a better solution for most games than simply using tackle boxes? I know a guy who uses those for Star Trek: Attack Wing and Settlers of Catan, and it works extremely well. I'm planning on picking up one for Star Fleet Battles (Finally, I'll be able to organize those pesky counters!) but I figured I'd better see if anyone had an even better idea.
    I use pill planners, or just baggies. For card, I use Hugo's Amazing Tape, because elastics destroy decks.

My latest discoveries are Android: Netrunner and Lewis & Clark. Both are amazing, and are quickly creeping into my top 5. Lewis & Clark is a racing game, with a worker placement and a deckbuilding element, but the deckbuilding is like nothing you've seen before: it's actually "hand-building", as you keep your entire deck in hand. It's quite awesome.

One I can't wait to try out is City of Iron. Looks simple enough, but very intriguing. Should be getting it to the table in the next week or two.
    Last edited by yougi; 2014-03-05 at 09:48 AM.
    Spoiler: ICitP Participations
    Show

L - Corrupt Avenger - Brooswayn Scourgesoul (4th)
    LI - Black Flame Zealot - Anubis (SILVER)

Blackguard Avatar from Cealocanth

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

RE: Dominion. So, for my March gaming budget I've added the Prosperity expansion and I'm liking it a lot at the moment. Our second Prosperity game turned out to be the first time I've seen a game end to the "empty three piles" rule and would have been the first time I'd have seen Gardens worth 4 points (except Gardens weren't in play).

RE: Netrunner. I'm probably on the short list of people that actually played the original back when it was a CCG. Given that I've sworn off CCG's (the official wording of the policy is that I'm against buying things where I don't know what I'm buying), there's a decent chance of this making its way into the gaming budget in the future.

RE: Storage. I'm running into this with both of my Flying Frog Production games (Last Night On Earth and Conquest Of Planet Earth). I'm probably going to end up just breaking down and taking the board pieces with me to a store to find something that works.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

More BattleCON! I got to try out yet another character, and this time I think I found someone I click with really well. She cycles through different familiars who give her various types of bonus abilities. So she shifts into different "modes", as it were.

Also, I played Hanabi and Bohnanza...Hanabi is loads of co-op fun, and it's hilarity-inducing...because the only cards you can't see are the ones you're holding! Talk about "the blind leading the blind". Bohnanza is interesting, but not easy for me. It's counter-intuitive to how I think, and trading/valuation games are not a strong suit of mine.

Finally, I played Mascarade...which was fun but a bit confusing. I couldn't quite tell what to make of it, and it definitely plays best when there's so many players you can't tell what's going on. It rather resembles a drunken revel, what with everyone swapping roles and nobody knowing who they are.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Had a great time playing King of Tokyo tonight with my sons. They have both expansions. We played several times, and it was a chaotic, fist-full-of-dice chucking, death-yahtzee, glorious time.

Definitely light hearted, random, and chaotic. Nice, quick filler game material. But, if you don't like randomness in your games, then this may not be one for you.
    Frolic and dance for joy often.
    Be determined in your ventures.
    -KAB

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Also, I played Hanabi and Bohnanza...Hanabi is loads of co-op fun, and it's hilarity-inducing...because the only cards you can't see are the ones you're holding! Talk about "the blind leading the blind". Bohnanza is interesting, but not easy for me. It's counter-intuitive to how I think, and trading/valuation games are not a strong suit of mine.
    Bohnanza was my all-time favourite card game until I got hold of Braggart. I love the trade mechanics and the way you have to plan your order of beans. It's not particularly intuitive, but it is great fun. Battle Cattle is great fun too, with the right group of people.

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

20. - Top - End - #200
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Played the Firefly board game for the first time last night, nice simple and quick game (4 players total, 2 first timers, game complete in less than 2hours)

Might need a few houserules/expansions to give it more replayability.
    Current rpg games:
    Stars Wars (GM)
    Symbaroum Nero, changeling wizard
    Elite:Dangerous, Kaldair McGee

Current games:
    Clash of Clans
    Seaport
    DomniNations

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Weird. I'd heard that Firefly tended to be a long-running boardgame. I've had a mind to check it out, but it didn't sound heavily interesting beyond the theme.

22. - Top - End - #202

So, my copy of Space Hulk: Death Angel arrived last week, and I played it two times with a friend.

It's a cool game. I really like it. But good god, the randomness of the dice roll. On our second playthrough, we're doing well until the third room, when suddenly every marines failed to defend themselves against single genestealers.

I definitely want to play it again, but dunno about my friend. We have no problem losing, but losing by rolling zero and one six time in a row really hurts.

I'm currently looking at its puzzle game variant, just out of curiousity.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, it's brutal. I haven't decided how the randomness compares to Pandemic...but I think it's worse because you can do less to mitigate it. Certainly drives home the theme, though.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

For me, the Randomness Curve(tm) is like the Interactivity Curve(tm) - it won't ruin or make a game by itself but it will feature heavily into my feelings on it.

Randomness Curve - imagine the traditional bell curve, with the side facing 0 indicating a game where there is NO random element (many abstract strategy games, Chess) and the side facing infinity as having nothing BUT random elements. I want to feel that my strategy\decisions matter but have that chance that things can go horribly wrong\right.

Interactivity Curve - in this case, the side facing 0 indicates a game where the players are "playing Solitaire together" and the side facing infinity being the stereotypical "party game" where the game amounts to scored interaction. Many old-school "race" games like Sorry, Aggravation, Trouble, and the like have too little interactivity for me, but I dislike games that too closely resemble Mother May I just as badly.

A good example of the Interactivity Curve not blowing a game for me is Dominion (I currently have the base set & Prosperity, and I like it a lot more with Prosperity than without). I like it quite a bit and it has been a big hit at the table, but I'd rank the game as a 7.5 of 10 - I probably like it the least of the players at said gaming table. I enjoy it - heck, I played two games of it today - but I can't shake the impression that I wish I could do more on my opponents' turns than occasionally block an attack.

The Randomness Curve is the reason I don't like a lot of traditional 52-card/4-suit card games. Most of them are simply too random for me to get into. Ironically it is also the reason I don't enjoy Chess enough to put more effort into getting better at it (and probably haven't played a game against a proper opponent in nearly two decades).
    Last edited by TheEmerged; 2014-03-19 at 09:31 PM.
    • Talk less; say more.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I would suggest that Interactivity and Randomness are like two axis forming a graph. There is a perfect amount of both for every player, and every game falls somewhere in the graph.

I personally think that Settlers is as popular as it is because it's sitting at the perfect middle of each scale, making it accessible to every style of play and players of all preferences.

Oh there is another axis! Complication! Well my ability to chart it with mental images just went out the window.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shyftir View Post
    I would suggest that Interactivity and Randomness are like two axis forming a graph. There is a perfect amount of both for every player, and every game falls somewhere in the graph.
    It's more like there is an area within the graph in which games are acceptable, though it's probably better thought of as a cross section that emerges from a function with way more variables.

-- ChubbyRain

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

I played Runebound last week, for the first time in several years. It's better than I remember it, but once somebody gets in front with a lucky victory or item pull it's very difficult to close the gap.

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

For me, I think that interactivity and randomness are dependent on the context of the game. I really like randomness that forces you to make do with your current resources (Dominion, most card games) as well as randomness that you can plan for (Catan, by building on as many differently-numbered hexes as you can).

And while I generally prefer player interactivity, I also like deeply-involved games with less interactivity. (That said? Dominion is very interactive IMO, just in a subtle, passive-aggressive way. Even without attack cards, the other cards are a limited resource, and a couple players burning through one of the ten piles quickly changes the game for everyone.)
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2014-03-20 at 09:07 AM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Gave Level 7: Omega Protocol a run with the guys the other night. It's a good time, sort of like a version of Descent that actually hates the players and wants to eat their faces off. This attitude of player-face-chewing is most clearly expressed by the system wherein the currency a commando uses for abilities is gets transferred to the Overseer, who can spend it on monsters to eat face. And at some point, the cost of monsters decreases, so it becomes a net loss for the players to shoot them. Two adrenaline for a chance of one kill buys the Overseer two new monsters to chew on noses. Bottom line: we made it to the objective, but not back.

Next time, I'll remember grenades.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Spamalot in the Playground

More of a 'party' type game than board game, but I got a chance to play "Telestrations". It's basically the old game of telephone with drawings. Very hilarious and freeform like Apples-to-Apples or Cards Against Humanity.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races